Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,867 members, 7,802,798 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? (56550 Views)

Mark Babatunde Living In Russia’s Yakutia, Cold Village, Shares Photos / Female Climber Found Frozen On Mountain After Vanishing 31Yrs Ago In Russia(Pics / Nigerians Who Used World Cup As Migration Strategy Stranded In Russia Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 12:07am On Jul 22, 2021
AutoYankee:

Go for it and may God enable you, but it will be instructive to other would be students if you can share your school fees, boarding and other associated expenses for the duration of your intended program. ( convert it to naira also if u dont mind)

And also do you intend returning home to Nigeria after your sturdies? because their are no much prospect in Russia after that.

In my opinion future prospect matters when you intend spending 8 to 15 million naira in pusuit of a foreing degree, the visa expires when your program comes to an end, overstaying visa is a no no, could lead to fines, arrest and deportation. relocating to other EU countries from Russia is very difficult almost impossible.

So if its just to sturdy in Russia, pay your fees and every other associated expenses, graduate and return to Nigeria then you are good to go.

Well
A lot of things have changed since you were last in russia
From the gist I hear from people there, there has been a lot of reform and laws passed that give clear pathway to permanent residency to postgraduate students with good grades.

I'm just saying
And the school I chose, they are generous with scholarships though I dont have that in mind
Passing preparatory class slashes your fees by 50% already, then getting the quota scholarships cancel your fees in totality

At the end of the day
One will not spend more than 7m to 8m max on living expenses plus school fees
Depending on the scholarship one get
The total expense may even be much less
The current education ministry is enticing international students to at least stay for a few more years, and to be very honest, I wont mind a post doctoral fellowship in the country
I have an open mind to these things
It's to see how things pan out
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by AutoYankee: 6:38am On Jul 22, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Well
From the gist I hear from people there, there has been a lot of reform and laws passed that give clear pathway to permanent residency to postgraduate students with good grades.

I'm just saying
And the school I chose, they are generous with scholarships though I dont have that in mind
Passing preparatory class slashes your fees by 50% already, then getting the quota scholarships cancel your fees in totality

At the end of the day
The current education ministry is enticing international students to at least stay for a few more years, and to be very honest, I wont mind a post doctoral fellowship in the country

Them say them say!
Them no Dey tell man!!
Wish u well.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 7:55am On Jul 22, 2021
AutoYankee:

Them say them say!
Them no Dey tell man!!
Wish u well.
You are calling facts "them say"
All I said up there have legit references to them.
Thanks for the best wishes though
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by AutoYankee: 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

You are calling facts "them say"
All I said up there have legit references to them.
Thanks for the best wishes though

Am calling facts them say? what fact? Firstly whats the name of your intended school? cursory look on the schools website will tell us if they award scholarship to fee paying international students after Preaperatory faculty ( Russian Language school) or at any time in the post graduate program.

Russian universities lure international students to come study so as to collect fees, a lot of the universities are under funded, it will amount to wishful thinking to grant you a scholarship mid way when you were admited as a fee paying international student. ( They need the money!!)

You said a lot has changed since i left Russia, REALLY? Hmmmmmm
you also said ...................

From the gist I hear from people there, there has been a lot of reform and laws passed that give clear pathway to permanent residency to postgraduate students with good grades.[i][/i]

Hmmmmmmm Nigerians self, From the GIST YOU HEARD! Permanent residence!!
Lets even assume in your wildest dream you got a permanent residence what would you be doing job wise after school in Russia when unemploymet is high among Russians themselves coupled with sanctions that has reduced the ROUBLE ( Russian currency to $1 = 73R ) ( 1Rouble = 5.56 Naira) the Rouble is almost as useless as the naira.

Also you spoke about sturding the language, you mean you intend a postgraduate program in Russian Language or you intend to do your postgraduate program in RUSKI? ( Russian Language)

My brother we are native English speakers, yet when we are doing our masters, postgraduate or whatever program in English back home its very stressful cos of lots research work, reading lots of materials, infact some people drop out because of stress ( all in English Language)

But you will study the Russian language for one year and with that commence a postgraduate program and be the best in a bid to secure an elusive invisible scholarship? Whao you must be somthing else, Russian Language is one of the most difficult Languages in the world, there is a diffrence in learning the language for daily platonic conversations and when you require an indebt knowlegde and apprioprating same to reseach work required for post graduate studies.

Ask an average Nigerian or African student in Russia and they will tell you the Langage is a night mare, even for those that have lived there for over five years, speaking the language differs from STURDING IN THE LANGUAGE, WRITING CONVINCINLY IN THE LANGUAGE FOR POST GRADUATE WORK.

you also said ............................

My Brother where are you from self?

Passing preparatory class slashes your fees by 50% ?
then getting the quota scholarships cancel your fees in totality?
[i][/i]

Really? Thats not true, you like facts abi? Please whats the name of the school? so we can check it out and put the facts online for all to see.

Russian schools encourage forieign students enrolment to collect fees! that has been the practise all this years, the school sends your pasport to immgration for yearly VISA OR PERMIT and is after you have paid all your school fees, hostel fees etc, if you cant pay the next year the school wont help you renew your visa and you would be giving a month or so to leave the country.

Why so much headache, Much ado about nothing, you are blessed to encounter a former Russian student willing to share with you first hand experience about Russia yet you they ague, i wish i had sombody to tell me before i went to Russia.

Money had earned should be prudently spent!!

I reply because i want others to learn.

SHALOM!!

7 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by ChristoBam: 4:37pm On Jul 22, 2021
AutoYankee:

Am calling facts them say? what fact? Firstly whats the name of your intended school? cursory look on the schools website will tell us if they award scholarship to fee paying international students after Preaperatory faculty ( Russian Language school) or at any time in the post graduate program.

Russian universities lure international students to come study so as to collect fees, a lot of the universities are under funded, it will amount to wishful thinking to grant you a scholarship mid way when you were admited as a fee paying international student. ( They need the money!!)

From the gist I hear from people there, there has been a lot of reform and laws passed that give clear pathway to permanent residency to postgraduate students with good grades.[i][/i]

Lets even assume in your wildest dream you got a permanent residence what would you be doing job wise after school in Russia when unemploymet is high among Russians themselves coupled with sanctions that has reduced the ROUBLE ( Russian currency to $1 = 73R ) ( 1Rouble = 5.56 Naira) the Rouble is almost as useless as the naira.

Also you spoke about sturding the language, you mean you intend a postgraduate program in Russian Language or you intend to do your postgraduate program in RUSKI? ( Russian Language)

My brother we are native English speakers, yet when we are doing our masters, postgraduate or whatever program in English back home its very stressful cos of lots research work, reading lots of materials, infact some people drop out because of stress ( all in English Language)

But you will study the Russian language for one year and with that commence a postgraduate program and be the best in a bid to secure an elusive invisible scholarship? Whao you must be somthing else, Russian Language is one of the most difficult Languages in the world, there is a diffrence in learning the language for daily platonic conversations and when you require an indebt knowlegde and apprioprating same to reseach work required for post graduate studies.

Ask an average Nigerian or African student in Russia and they will tell you the Langage is a night mare, even for those that have lived there for over five years, speaking the language differs from STURDING IN THE LANGUAGE, WRITING CONVINCINLY IN THE LANGUAGE FOR POST GRADUATE WORK.

[i][/i]

Really? Thats not true, you like facts abi? Please whats the name of the school? so we can check it out and put the facts online for all to see.

Russian schools encourage forieign students enrolment to collect fees! that has been the practise all this years, the school sends your pasport to immgration for yearly VISA OR PERMIT and is after you have paid all your school fees, hostel fees etc, if you cant pay the next year the school wont help you renew your visa and you would be giving a month or so to leave the country.

Why so much headache, Much ado about nothing, you are blessed to encounter a former Russian student willing to share with you first hand experience about Russia yet you they ague, i wish i had sombody to tell me before i went to Russia.

SHALOM!!

Lol you even get time. Imagine when I checked this thread and I discovered that guy is still in Nigeria.

He seriously argued with me yesterday about Racism in Russia compared to the US. He said it's worse in the US and we argued for hours. I even thought he was in Russia.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 5:37pm On Jul 22, 2021
AutoYankee:

[i][/i]

SHALOM!!

All I said is gotten from the school website
The only thing not gotten from the school website is the recent law passed about getting PR after studies

We get it
You are not aligned to the idea of further studies in Russia cool
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 5:38pm On Jul 22, 2021
ChristoBam:

Lol you even get time. Imagine when I checked this thread and I discovered that guy is still in Nigeria.

He seriously argued with me yesterday about Racism in Russia compared to the US. He said it's worse in the US and we argued for hours. I even thought he was in Russia.

undecided
For the love of christ
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 5:44pm On Jul 22, 2021
Passing your preparatory class for my selected school slashes your subsequent fees by 50%

There is now a clear pathway to permanent residency to international students (which btw I'm not really considering, I am going primarily for the experience)
Anyone who wants to look it up can look it up
And if you dont believe
That's also fine.

I'm surprised someone can be so worked up about choices a grown up adult made cheesy
You are talking of the russian rouble being "useless"
Did I tell you I'm going there to "hustle "?
The weak currency even works in my favour because it means I get to budget less for annual living expenses in absolute USD terms
The weakness of the exchange rate of a currency has nothing to do with the health of the economy.
If that was the case, the Japanese and south korean economies will be considered shitty because of their weak exchange rate
But we all know that is not true

Learning a new language is a cake walk for me
I speak multiple international languages already like I have told you before
The more languages you learn, the easier it is to learn a new one

What does that have to do with anything?

Why so much headache, Much ado about nothing, you are blessed to encounter a former Russian student willing to share with you first hand experience about Russia yet you they ague, i wish i had sombody to tell me before i went to Russia
I should be asking you this cheesy
You are the one who seemed disturbed that anyone would want to study in the russian federation

And btw
The very fact that you dont know about the quota scholarships mean that it has been a while since you left the Russian Federation
It's actually a thing
Though it's somewhat competitive
But that's only one scholarship track
I encourage anyone who want to study there to explore that possibility
BEA Scholarships are also there, but its tied to the nigerian govt so I'm not really a fan

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2021
Like I have said before
Anyone who wants to further his studies in the Russuan Federation or wherever should count the cost and assess his situation very well before taking a decision
Most of you want to use study route as a decoy to jaapa and start hustling
Your reality is much more different from one who does not hav that cloud hanging over his head
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by AutoYankee: 8:26pm On Jul 22, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:
Like I have said before
Anyone who wants to further his studies in the Russuan Federation or wherever should count the cost and assess his situation very well before taking a decision
Most of you want to use study route as a decoy to jaapa and start hustling
Your reality is much more different from one who does not hav that cloud hanging over his head

Hmmmm.
Every intended students need proper information to access their sitiuation ( remember the topic of the tread is '' Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia?)
Wheather na japa wheather na studies at the end of the day then what? almost zero opputunities await in either case.
No school slashes fees because you passed language school, that information will decieve others, if you are sure of your facts whats the name of the school, google student reviews and the schools website will clarify the matter.

BEA Scholarships are also there, but its tied to the nigerian govt so I'm not really a fan

so the scholarship you have in mind is tied to Nigerian government? i hear you. if you travel thinking you go get scholarship tied to Nigerian government, sorry na your name.

98 percent of international students on scholarship obtained their GOVT sponsored scholarship from their home countries before coming to Russia not the other way round, nobody gives you scholarship while already admitted as a fee paying student.

Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia?

To the creator of this thread, i hope you now know why Nigerians are not intreasted in Russia

I hope my submissions will help others thinking about Russia. its not worth the headache.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by AutoYankee: 8:34pm On Jul 22, 2021
ChristoBam:

My brother i Tayar oh!
I thought i was doing the right thing to clarify the matter, little did i know i was involved in a debate abi na knowlede competition.
My submission na for everybody intreasted in Russia, hear the raw facts from me and go figure out the rest.
Thanks
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by MadJonez: 11:12pm On Jul 24, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Well

I'm just saying

At the end of the day

I hear story I hear story. Most Nigerians abroad will never tell you the real story.
I will always advise anyone coming to Russia, especially for postgraduate, if you are not on scholarship, it's not worth the waste of money. 98% of Russian universities are good with publicity. The more you look the less you see In terms of quality education for international students. Also you talking about scholarship via quota, as a Nigerian forget it. You won't get it if it's postgraduate you are applying for unless you get strong connect of a Nigerian politician(do not even try to argue one bit). The only scholarship opportunity you have is open doors or if the school can give you a percentage off your school fees
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by MadJonez: 11:17pm On Jul 24, 2021
ChristoBam:

He is right about racism is worse in USA. The Russian racism isn't direct like in the USA, where are a black man you have to Carry your life in your hands, Russia is one of the safest countries for blacks(apart from Moscow where everyone dey craze due to what blacks have done by there).

The racism in Russia stems from pride and jealousy where the believe a black isn't better than them. And it's mostly found in the work place and schools. As foreigner working in a Russian company they will look for ways to steal your money by giving you a fine ( the salary is even poor) and there are limits to the rank and salary a foreigner can get working for a Russian company. In education, it's their people first before you. Most of the lecturers are after what they will get from you. If you have no use to them, they will purposely fail you.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 7:09am On Jul 25, 2021
MadJonez:

I hear story I hear story. Most Nigerians abroad will never tell you the real story.
I will always advise anyone coming to Russia, especially for postgraduate, if you are not on scholarship, it's not worth the waste of money. 98% of Russian universities are good with publicity. The more you look the less you see In terms of quality education for international students. Also you talking about scholarship via quota, as a Nigerian forget it. You won't get it if it's postgraduate you are applying for unless you get strong connect of a Nigerian politician(do not even try to argue one bit). The only scholarship opportunity you have is open doors or if the school can give you a percentage off your school fees

"Dont try to argue one bit "
Who wants to argue with you in the first place cheesy grin

I have made my own points, and I have gotten the info I need from my sources
There is no point dragging it further
And besides
I have no interest in the scholarship
If it comes, fine
If its unavailable, it makes no difference
Apparently the other guy who quoted me has problems understanding English because if he did not, he will see that not being a fan of the BEA scholarship means I have no interest in it
A postgraduate education in a top tier school in any country is never a waste
Except for those who are looking for decoys to jaapa

As someone who has probably schooled in Russia before (you sound like it)
For the purpose of information and education sakes, please spare sometime in the near future to list your five pros and five cons of a postgraduate degree education in Russia
This would be helpful and appreciated by many who will make reference to this thread in future
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 7:17am On Jul 25, 2021
MadJonez:

He is right about racism is worse in USA. The Russian racism isn't direct like in the USA, where are a black man you have to Carry your life in your hands, Russia is one of the safest countries for blacks(apart from Moscow where everyone dey craze due to what blacks have done by there).

The racism in Russia stems from pride and jealousy where the believe a black isn't better than them. And it's mostly found in the work place and schools. As foreigner working in a Russian company they will look for ways to steal your money by giving you a fine ( the salary is even poor) and there are limits to the rank and salary a foreigner can get working for a Russian company. In education, it's their people first before you. Most of the lecturers are after what they will get from you. If you have no use to them, they will purposely fail you.
My argument is primarily that USA have racism woven in their institutions
From top down
While in Russia is more of an individual thing
And not deliberate policies crafted by the government and baked into the institutions

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by brainiac228(m): 4:27pm On Jul 29, 2021
Good evening everyone, for those that applied skoltech how was your interview?
Share your experience. Thanks
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 9:51pm On Aug 06, 2021
brainiac228:
Good evening everyone, for those that applied skoltech how was your interview?
Share your experience. Thanks
Have you gained admission yet?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by brainiac228(m): 1:25am On Aug 13, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Have you gained admission yet?
No I did not
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by RodgersAkpafu: 9:49am On Aug 13, 2021
brainiac228:

No I did not
So sorry about that
That explains the drop in enthusiasm
You can always try again next time
And look at the situation as extra time
That you can use to hustle and make more money to add to your budget

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by Cypherhendrix(m): 2:36pm On Sep 22, 2021
HeavenlyHolines:
come Kazakhstan. teaching make sense here
Is there a trend for them
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by HeavenlyHolines(m): 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2021
Sure we have our WhatsApp group I mean for Nigerians in Kazakhstan. It is a cool country if you know your way
Cypherhendrix:

Is there a trend for them
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by Cypherhendrix(m): 12:17pm On Sep 23, 2021
HeavenlyHolines:
Sure we have our WhatsApp group I mean for Nigerians in Kazakhstan. It is a cool country if you know your way
I sent u a mail
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by HeavenlyHolines(m): 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
I have replied u
Cypherhendrix:

I sent u a mail
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by YungLasaint(m): 12:18am On Oct 01, 2021
ifex370:

In.nopolis university

Wow
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by excellentobanz(m): 8:44pm On Feb 15, 2022
How about the Skoltech scholarship? Can a PhD awardee from Nigeria find it easy to move with his nuclear family within a year and settle on the monthly scholarship stipend?
Please, I need help; I think PhD scholars get about 70000Rub...
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by AlphaTaikun: 6:43pm On Feb 27, 2022
James4bright:
Obviously I know a good number of Nigerians are in Russia already. But one thing I've realized is that most Nigerians don't add Russia to their country of preference compared to UK, Canada and Germany.

Some would even prefer to start up with smaller countries like Estonia. I hope you all know Russia is the cheapest European country you could move to.

When I'm on Instagram and I view pages of Africans in Russia, Nigerians are always the least.

Why isn't anyone talking about Russia, is it because of their low cost of living or currency. Because 1 Russian ruble is 5 naira.

It would cost you just 2.5 million to move to Russia and study compared to a good number of European countries. And don't come here telling me about racism bullshit, it's actually safe in Russia lately, watch some YouTube videos and see for yourself.

Housing there is actually very cheap too, I know a girl who pays just a 100 dollars per year for her apartment.

Russia is one country that has the biggest landmass on Earth. So many European countries are small, buying land properties would be expensive and won't be easy neither. Nigeria is 3 times bigger than UK.

It's annoying when I see Nigerians on Nairaland who have just 2million naira, when people tell them their money is too small. You only need 4000 US dollars in your account as proof of funds to move to Russia.

I'm not an agent so don't think I need your money, I got all my information through research on Russian study platforms. Go on Instagram and check out Africans in Russia.

I would stop here, so I don't talk down on other European countries before the mods come for me.
Russian imperialism, covert and
overt racism towards even biracial
Russians by youth gangs, and language barriers.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by huncho22(m): 4:57pm On Jun 16, 2022
franchasng:
Russia is a dead nation for migrants, especially black migrants.

Russia should never be on the list of any reasonable Nigerian's migration destination at all.

As big as Football star Etoo was, he faced so many challenges living in Russia and spending his own money, a rich star.....just because of his black skin color.

Russia have no jobs.....the common jobs for their ladies is high class prostitution or escort jobs.......Russia have no enough good paying jobs for her citizen talk more for a migrant from Africa.
why Una too dey lie ?
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by Ayomide002: 11:42am On Jun 25, 2022
excellentobanz:
How about the Skoltech scholarship? Can a PhD awardee from Nigeria find it easy to move with his nuclear family within a year and settle on the monthly scholarship stipend?
Please, I need help; I think PhD scholars get about 70000Rub...
I will like to know what you mean by nuclear family. Several PhD students live with their spouses in skoltech. I used to know of a black lady who was living with her husband and child. Also, the basic stipend is 75k rubles for skoltech PhD and you can always receive additional stipends.
Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by Ayomide002: 11:47am On Jun 25, 2022
franchasng:
Russia is a dead nation for migrants, especially black migrants.

Russia should never be on the list of any reasonable Nigerian's migration destination at all.

As big as Football star Etoo was, he faced so many challenges living in Russia and spending his own money, a rich star.....just because of his black skin color.

Russia have no jobs.....the common jobs for their ladies is high class prostitution or escort jobs.......Russia have no enough good paying jobs for her citizen talk more for a migrant from Africa.
A friend of mine who just graduated last year worked in P&G, now, he’s a manager at Yandex. The nigga is a black dude from Benue state. Bro, you’ve gat to travel to Russia before you make a firm conclusion.

3 Likes

Re: Why Aren't Nigerians Interested In Russia? by INCREDIBLE007(m): 9:30pm On Aug 02, 2022
INCREDIBLE007:

employment opportunities nko

do you have any idea about that

besides
russia and their war-ready way of doing things
calls for concern

As if I had known those werey would stay a war

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Natural Heart-Shaped Lake Toyoni In Japan (Pictures) / Seychelles Places A Ban On Nigerian Passport Holders / My Experience When I Moved To Sweden!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.