Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,002 members, 7,806,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? (901 Views)

Igbo Priest Teaching Americans How To Sing In Igbo Language / The Deity We Call 'arobinagu" In Igbo And What He Represent / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? by ugnoble: 2:14pm On Feb 15, 2021
Please I would really appreciate if those who are really knowledgeable about our igbo culture and traditions to educate me on who an "Nmaji" really is.

I've searched well for answer with none meaningful laying around and so would be happy if I'm educated properly. Thanks.
Re: Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? by bigfrancis21: 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2021
ugnoble:
Please I would really appreciate if those who are really knowledgeable about our igbo culture and traditions to educate me on who an "Nmaji" really is.

I've searched well for answer with none meaningful laying around and so would be happy if I'm educated properly. Thanks.

Are you referring to mmaji kwulu mmaji?

Or nmachi as in nmachi akpa?
Re: Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? by Eastson(m): 6:13am On Feb 19, 2021
Listening
Re: Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:41pm On Feb 19, 2021
I wonder if the OP is referring to the Nmaji/Njoku cultural practice. I'll expand on that. Worst case scenario, I am wrong and this is not what you are looking for @OP, so you can feel free to ignore it. Best case scenario, this is exactly the information you seek. I'll leave that for the future to determine, since I don't know.

Anyhow, Nmaji is part of the agricultural practice of Ngwa and Mbaise (at least, I'm sure of these communities -- I cannot speak for all others). It's literal meaning is "knife of the yam". Nmaji is the female counterpart of Njoku. Both are dedicated to Ahinjoku.

The practice had a number of different implications and some of it varied from community to community. Some communities used to use the skulls of dead Nmaji and Njoku as totems for worship. While alive, it was thought that the Njoku and Nmaji had claims to yams of their choice from people's barns. It was thought that to allow the head of an Njoku or an Nmaji to touch the ground was effrontry to Ala and would invite her punishment. Any attempt to prevent them from asserting such a claim was disrespectful to both Ahinjoku and Ala.

In essence, the Nmaji/Njoku culture was sort of like a fertility cult, centered around yam, Ahinjoku and Ala. For example, anywhere they co-occur (an Nmaji and Njoku that acknowledge each other's existence), they were effectively considered as married. No one could make any claims on the bride wealth of the Nmaji except for the Njoku in question. But if they ended up not marrying each other, they would at least marry a different Njoku and Nmaji respectively.

Nmaji and Njoku are high status symbols within the cultural region.

There's no need for me to dive any deeper than this since I am not certain it is what you are looking for. If it is, then hopefully I've said enough to get you going on your research to learn more about it.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Referred To As An "Nmaji" In Igbo? by ugnoble: 11:53pm On Feb 20, 2021
ChinenyeN:
I wonder if the OP is referring to the Nmaji/Njoku cultural practice. I'll expand on that. Worst case scenario, I am wrong and this is not what you are looking for @OP, so you can feel free to ignore it. Best case scenario, this is exactly the information you seek. I'll leave that for the future to determine, since I don't know.

Anyhow, Nmaji is part of the agricultural practice of Ngwa and Mbaise (at least, I'm sure of these communities -- I cannot speak for all others). It's literal meaning is "knife of the yam". Nmaji is the female counterpart of Njoku. Both are dedicated to Ahinjoku.

The practice had a number of different implications and some of it varied from community to community. Some communities used to use the skulls of dead Nmaji and Njoku as totems for worship. While alive, it was thought that the Njoku and Nmaji had claims to yams of their choice from people's barns. It was thought that to allow the head of an Njoku or an Nmaji to touch the ground was effrontry to Ala and would invite her punishment. Any attempt to prevent them from asserting such a claim was disrespectful to both Ahinjoku and Ala.

In essence, the Nmaji/Njoku culture was sort of like a fertility cult, centered around yam, Ahinjoku and Ala. For example, anywhere they co-occur (an Nmaji and Njoku that acknowledge each other's existence), they were effectively considered as married. No one could make any claims on the bride wealth of the Nmaji except for the Njoku in question. But if they ended up not marrying each other, they would at least marry a different Njoku and Nmaji respectively.

Nmaji and Njoku are high status symbols within the cultural region.

There's no need for me to dive any deeper than this since I am not certain it is what you are looking for. If it is, then hopefully I've said enough to get you going on your research to learn more about it.

Thank You very much for your input, and yes, I'm talking about Njoku/Nmaji of the Ngwa Culture. I'd really appreciate if more information is been given out.

(1) (Reply)

The Mysterious Hyena Men Of Nigeria: Extreme Culture! (video/pictures) / Is It Normal For A Yoruba Mother To Discuss Her Son's Manhood Size With Him? / International Students Are Dying To Learn African-american/hip-hop/urban Studies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.