Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,917 members, 7,802,983 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria (3866 Views)

Army Rescues 17-Year-Old Girl Kidnapped By Boko Haram In 2014 In Borno (Pic) / PHOTO NEWS ; Texas Girl Kidnapped 12 Years Ago At Age 4 Found Alive In Mexico. / 15-year-old Girl Kidnapped In Gwarimpa, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by bluesky4(f): 1:38pm On Jul 05, 2007
UK todler kidnapped in nigeria
just read this in the BBC News website

Here is the story:

'UK toddler' kidnapped in Nigeria
Nigerian militants
Militants say they have been left out of talks on the Delta's future
The three-year-old daughter of an expatriate worker said to be British has been kidnapped by gunmen in the Niger Delta, Nigerian police have said.

The toddler was seized from a car on her way to school in the oil city of Port Harcourt in the early morning.

The kidnapping follows that of five oil workers on Wednesday, the first since the main militant group in the area called off a month-long ceasefire.

The UK's Foreign Office has not confirmed the nationality of the girl.

It said it was aware of the reports and was urgently checking them.

The BBC's Alex Last in Lagos says that in almost all previous cases it is foreign oil workers who have been taken hostage but in recent months the children of wealthy Nigerians have also become targets.

Who took the girl is not clear, he adds, but there are a plethora of armed gangs which operate in the Niger Delta and kidnapping for ransom has become big business.

Kidnaps

The girl is the third child to be kidnapped by unknown gunmen in Nigeria in the last couple of weeks.

Nigeria's shadowy militants

The first girl to be taken hostage was the daughter of a Nigerian businessman. A local state legislator's daughter was also kidnapped last week.

Both were later released unharmed after ransom payments, the BBC's Abdullahi Kaura in Port Harcourt says.

More than 100 foreigners have been taken hostage in the region this year.

Correspondents say hostages are usually released after ransom payments that the Nigerian government and oil companies involved always deny.

Attacks 'to continue'

Wednesday's incident involved two New Zealanders, an Australian, a Venezuelan and a Lebanese kidnapped in Soku, Rivers state.

The main militant group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) said it had nothing to do with the attack.

On Tuesday, Mend announced that it would not extend its month-long ceasefire called to give the new government a chance to set up talks on the restive region.

It said it would also resume abductions and attacks on oil installations.

The group says it has been kept on the sidelines of government-led talks about the future of the Niger Delta.

Although the Delta accounts for over 90% of Nigeria's income, the region remains highly impoverished, a situation the militants say they want to change with their campaign.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6272676.stm

what are your views
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by Danmasani(m): 1:44pm On Jul 05, 2007
It is most disgraceful act to kidnap a toddler in the name of freedom fighting!
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by denex: 2:12pm On Jul 05, 2007
You have not seen anything. These MEND boys will behead that child if their demands are not met.

They have killed before and they will kill again. They have started to realise that adults are taking extra security measures, so they have to get to the children.

They have to hit the enemy at their weakest spot and what better weak spot is there than their babies. This will speed up the measures taken to pay up the ransom.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:13pm On Jul 05, 2007
denex, are you in support of the MEND boys? And when did expatriate babies become "enemies"?
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by bluesky4(f): 2:32pm On Jul 05, 2007
It is very sad that people will stoop so low tht they will kidnap a 3 year old girl.
The fact they are doing it for ransom money is even more sader.

If the militants are trying to get theyre voices across about the state of Niger Delta, is one thing, but this is not the way to go about it.

My condolences goes to the family.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by desgiezd(m): 2:33pm On Jul 05, 2007
This is a terrible addtion to the nation's image that is not so good. Children should not be kidnapped under whatever guise. Why dragging these innocent souls to issues they know nothing about? Children are meant to be loved and not to be maltreated. They also are entitled to human rights. :sad::sad::sad:
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by sartorius(m): 2:39pm On Jul 05, 2007
The Foreign Office has called for the "immediate safe release" of the three-year-old British girl Margaret Hill abducted by gunmen in the Nigerian city of Port Harcourt.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1273831,00.html

http://www.afp.com/english/news/stories/070705123719.eyjf13ie.html

the kiddnapers have contacted the parents.

embarassed na wa for 9ja
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by denex: 2:46pm On Jul 05, 2007
@Seun

I'm not in support of the MEND boys. Am I crazy? I'm just analysing their current strategy.

It is quicker to get ransoms paid on little children than adults who can be assumed to have some negotiation leverage. Besides the expatriates are now becoming more security conscious, leaving the kids wide open.

Also, there is some indication that Asari Dokubo and some of the initial members of NDPVF are getting their demands met soon, so the thugs and touts are trying to cash in their final cheques in case peace is finally brokered.

So don't mistake me. I think kidnappers are the scum of the earth, just a notch below rapists. I'm only trying to explain the new twist in the money making venture.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by McKren(m): 2:53pm On Jul 05, 2007
No comment
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by obong(m): 2:57pm On Jul 05, 2007
You have not seen anything. These MEND boys will behead that child if their demands are not met.

They have killed before and they will kill again. They have started to realise that adults are taking extra security measures, so they have to get to the children.

They have to hit the enemy at their weakest spot and what better weak spot is there than their babies. This will speed up the measures taken to pay up the ransom.

stop lying. behead the child? maybe in kano or iraq, but not in the ND. these guys may kill, but thats usually soldiers in combat.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by McKren(m): 2:59pm On Jul 05, 2007
stop lying. behead the child? maybe in kano or iraq, but not in the ND.  these guys may kill, but thats usually soldiers in combat.

Are you suggesting there is any dignity in Kidnapping a 3 year old for ransom and immediately contacting his parents to demand ransom ??

The son of the Law maker kidnapped is from Niger-Delta, I hope you don't change your views when a member of your family is kidnapped.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by denex: 3:07pm On Jul 05, 2007
@obong

are you insinuating that MEND has only murdered soldiers? That is MENDacious deceit!
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by sartorius(m): 3:12pm On Jul 05, 2007
denex:

@Seun

Also, there is some indication that Asari Dokubo and some of the initial members of NDPVF are getting their demands met soon, so the thugs and touts are trying to cash in their final cheques in case peace is finally brokered.

asari is no much of an issue now,demands will keep on coming.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by sartorius(m): 3:13pm On Jul 05, 2007
denex:

asari is no much of an issue now,demands will keep on coming.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by azorjiu(m): 3:41pm On Jul 05, 2007
A big shame on the militant groups. A big shame on them! Let's pray they don't rape the poor kid since they have suddenly turned into animals. Shame.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by denex: 3:52pm On Jul 05, 2007
I know the demands will keep coming. These people do not want peace. They will demand anything just to create a reason for their atrocities. Even if the states have 100% derivation. These people are not fighting for rights, they are filling their pockets.

They will keep kidnapping and when the expatriates can't be easily kidnapped anymore, they'll kidnap their children.
Since they've been kidnapping male expatriates all the while and now they're kidnapping babies, very soon they will start kidnapping female expatriates, then one of them touts go wan Bleep whitey.
When the expatriates and their children leave the country, they will continue kidnapping rich indigenes.
When all the rich indigenes leave for Abuja and Lagos, they will start robbing the poor indigenes.
When the poor indigenes have no more money to be robbed, they'll start raping and enslaving them and cutting their hands and feet Sierra Leone style.

I love guns and I like to fight for justice. The reason I don't support any form of Militancy is because it gets in your head. OPC, Bakassi, MEND. They all end up doing evil.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by Aneef(m): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2007
They will definitely not hurt the girl but if they do contrary,that will be too bad cos for whatever cause they are pursuing kidnapping of kids should not be part of the deals.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by babasin(m): 4:00pm On Jul 05, 2007
It is most disgraceful act to kidnap a toddler in the name of freedom fighting!

when ordinary nigerians are kidnapped and killed, did you all shout?

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by bluesky4(f): 4:08pm On Jul 05, 2007
babasin:

when ordinary nigerians are kidnapped and killed, did you all shout?

cheesy grin cheesy

im not sure on wat ur point is. Could you please elaberate.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by babasin(m): 4:33pm On Jul 05, 2007
point is:

is life of UK child more important than that of Nigeria child?

NOTE: i dont support violence or bad governance
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by lewa(m): 4:37pm On Jul 05, 2007
Kidnapping a toddler in the name of fredom fighting beggars belief! Those guys are criminals with no iota of any nottion of ideaology!
We all know that and time and time again money has changed hands~were they principled we would know.But alas they and their
petty ignorant obtuse supporters on this forum know  it to be true.The days of armed struugle died in the 1990's;theres a paradigm shift now
-dialogue and adequate empowerment;not some unnecessary unwarranted criminal activity;that itself defeats the agenda and erodes international and local support.Common chivy,debased,low lying measly flea infested vermin
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by bluesky4(f): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2007
babasin:

point is:

is life of UK child more important than that of Nigeria child?

NOTE: i don't support violence or bad governance

i was waiting for some1 to mention this
the child's mother is nigerian and the father is british,
so wat is ur point now?
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by oberon(m): 6:11pm On Jul 05, 2007
Obong pls dont comment on things you dont know about if you were in Nigeria you would have realised that the vast majority of casualties in clashes between these guys and the army or when they take on each other are innocent passersby,while one does not believe that anybodys life is greater or of more value than the next man`s,or that there are not salient issues to be addressed in the region, I dont believe that this is the right way to go about it,a childs safety and wellbeing should be of paramount importance moreso when that child is a foreigner what ever happened to our humanity?but in all of this I think a well set trap is being hatched for the N/D and the fallout could be disastrous very disastrous for us all
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 6:16pm On Jul 05, 2007
This action is barbaric, I wonder how they know who to kidnap? why cant they go after the kids of IBB or ABACHA who squandered their resources and neglect them? I've said it once and will keep saying it. The government should send non English speaking Mopol to this region, and I can guarantee you it will be the end of this mess. One can only imagine what the little child is going through now.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by IykeD1(m): 6:26pm On Jul 05, 2007
These guys are not militants how much more freedom fighters, there are just several groupings/cells of
criminals and thugs who will soon meet their makers if this trend continue. The quickest way to end what
has become a lucrative business for them will be to cause harm to the kidnapped child. I can only feel
sorry for the poor villagers when the federal government is forced to wipe them out. It won't be pretty at
all.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by babasin(m): 9:53am On Jul 06, 2007
Three-year-old Michael Stewart, son of a lawmaker, Linda Stewart, was kidnapped two weeks ago on his way to school and was only released four days after when the parents had reportedly paid a ransom of N10 million.

appears this is good business.

thats what OBJ/YARADU nigeria has become!

shame

grin cheesy grin
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by denex: 10:42am On Jul 06, 2007
You are blaming Yar'Adua and Obasanjo for some selfish tout that kidnaps 3 year olds for a N10 million ransom?

is it that he was living on below $1 per day that he bought and M-16 rifle and fuel a car to go all the way to Lagos to go and kidnap a child.

Or is it his freedom that he's fighting for that he then collects N10million to buy the freedom back?

My friend sharaaaaap!
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by GNature(m): 10:50am On Jul 06, 2007
babasin:

thats what OBJ/YARADU nigeria has become!

shame

grin cheesy grin

Babasin, it seems like you are condoning the kidnappers' action. Wasn't the problem there before obj/yar'adua ?

What is taking place in the Niger Delta is as a result of the neglect of the place over the years. You also have these sectarian hoodlums that are taking advantage of the situation by kidnapping people at gun point.

Blame all the rulers of Nigeria that have neglected the Niger Delta, not just obj/yar'adua.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by globalaid(m): 11:05am On Jul 06, 2007
every right thinking nigeria should condemmed this barbaric act. Oh my God, what is nigeria turning into? Another Iraq or Afganistan? What freedom fighter are they if not criminals. We should stop deceiving ourselves and face the reality, one day they will change their strategy and by that time nobody will be save anymore.
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by ayusman16(m): 11:11am On Jul 06, 2007
Mamajama:

This action is barbaric, I wonder how they know who to kidnap? why can't they go after the kids of IBB or ABACHA who squandered their resources and neglect them? I've said it once and will keep saying it. The government should send non English speaking Mopol to this region, and I can guarantee you it will be the end of this mess. One can only imagine what the little child is going through now.

I think i tow ur line, they should av for the kids of pple who squandered our money, wat does the small girl know, i condemn their actions even though i support the cause of the Niger Deltan, i dont those guys are MEND members, they are just a bunch of spineless, lazy cowards who want cheap ways of making money. The situation has finally gotten out of hand as the govt seems to be weak in this regards because i don't see them making a living by any other means apart from kidnapping, Asari and other leaders shoud make sure that dis national disgrace is put to an end,
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by babasin(m): 11:19am On Jul 06, 2007
Wasn't the problem there before obj/yar'adua ?

in 1998: it was not the case! 

within 8years it has become hell!  OBJ made it so.

Yaradua is invloved as he puppet of OBJ. so both are guilty.

The kidnappers are victims as much as the poor girl!

Victim of that country called Nigeria ruled by likes of OBJ & Yaradua!

grin wink grin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6275890.stm
Re: Three Year Old Girl Kidnapped In Nigeria by bluesky4(f): 11:22am On Jul 06, 2007
Latest News:
Kidnappers who seized a three-year-old UK girl in Nigeria have threatened to kill her unless her father agrees to take her place

shocked
wat is the world coming to.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ibadan ‘mermaid’: Fish Seller’s Daughter Attacked, House Vandalised / Deep Web Enterprise / Sins Committed By Prof Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.