Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? (19450 Views)

Urgent Advise Needed On Best Jeep To Buy With Budget Of 1.4M / Photo: Which Would Be Your Pick For Use On Nigerian Roads? / The Best Tyre For Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by deji99(m): 2:40pm On Jul 05, 2007
My people I would like to know the most most reliable jeep on our roads and what price should I expect to
pay??
Your help is needed before i make the wrong chioce!!!!!!
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by inspiredm(m): 9:37pm On Jul 05, 2007
I have a JEEP Grand Cherokee 2000 Model for sale, Just Landed in Nigeria from Virginia USA, on Monday.
Jeeps have the best SUV for Nigerian Roads.
And this is a full Option Model.
Ill post pictures of it very soon.
My price is 1.9 million ( asking ).
My phone number is 08023050886.
Located in Lagos
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by promise72(m): 3:17am On Jul 06, 2007
@ Deji99,

Do not touch jeep grand cherokee with a 10 foot pole! sorry to burst your burble inspired_M. costly maintenance, too much petrol. Poor quality. They are nice for a while. Fast. but you will cry down the line. Get a Toyota 4Runner. Especially 96/up. You never go wrong. Pathfinder is nice too. Then lastly you can consider Montero/Pajero.

You heard!
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Yink99(m): 7:32am On Jul 06, 2007
I heard that Toyota landcruiser is the best for Nigeria roads!!
Any Toyota product will work well in Nigeria.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by deji99(m): 8:39am On Jul 06, 2007
Promise72 - Thank you my brother!
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by inspiredm(m): 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2007
Promise 72, the Jeep grand Cherokee has been revised, reviewed and recalls have been made, they are a lot better now. Chrysler has taken over Jeep and its now DaimlerChrysler, and recently Mercedez Benz disposed off Chrysler, so its not the Same Old Jeep grand Cherokee that you used to know. And moreso check out the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty and you'll know what were talking about.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by kaynoJah(m): 10:12pm On Jul 07, 2007
Just a gear box of that grand Cherokee is well above three hundred grand, for a used one. Be it fairly-used or 'un'-fairly. Boy! Maintenance cost of that ride is crazy. Forget it. Toyota and Nissan brands are still on top chart I guess.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 8:05pm On Nov 17, 2007
Jeeps don't survive in their country of origin, I wonder how it's suppose to survive on Nigerian soil. Toyota 4X4's are rugged and can tolerate skipped maintenance. They are reliable and durable also. This is honesty - Jeeps are not reliable. They also ride like trucks and seems to waste fuel. It's a cheaply built truck.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by mastro: 9:48am On Nov 18, 2007
easy, most reliable jeep is the Toyota landcruiser, however, it's not cheap.
if constrained by budget, I would say any Toyota any Nissan product for ease of maintenance though I hear good things about Mitisubitsi's as well, bottom line go Japanese and that applies to all car (disclaimer I drive German cars, but I stand by my statement)
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by sultaan(m): 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone here owns a Jeep?

It seems these opinions are from those who don't own a Jeep nor other SUVs.
I'll say Jeep is very good if you are handy, therwise stick to something someone else will fix/service for you.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by ayome123(m): 5:24pm On Nov 18, 2007
Pples,
I own a jeep and I've owned it for like 3 years its the 4wd and it sits on 22's. I love my truck to death. Its a pussy magnet and It takes care of me just like I take care of it. With Cars, my personal opinion is whatever u put into it is whatever u gon get from it.
Scheduled maintenance (oil change, sparkplugs and flluid checks) is all I do n I have friends that'll pay top money for this truck. I don't know about the next person but my 2001 Grand cherokee is sooo Nizze! wink
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 8:24am On Nov 19, 2007
You don't have to buy an unreliable vehicle to know or understand that it is unreliable.   [Deleted Content]
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by sultaan(m): 3:13pm On Nov 19, 2007
So is there anyone out there that owned(s) a WJ Jeep who will confirm what these non jeepsters say.I waiting for a victim of jeep's unreliability; just one.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2007
Well, you'll have more than 30 today.  See what consumer reports have to say.  This is the mediation in conjuction with the NHTSA between consumers and manufacturers and it's also strengthen by the Magnuson Moss Act.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jeep.htm

It should quench your curiosity.  You don't have to be a specimen before the truth is realised.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2007
@Ayo

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/06/jeep_more_trouble.html This covers your vehicle year.

June 14, 2006
Jeep

News
• Jumpin' Jeeps Ruin Lives, Destroy Property
• NHTSA Probes Jeep Wrangler Stalling Problem
• 2006 Jeep Commander Named Worst "Blind Zone" Offender
• More Trouble for Popular Jeep Grand Cherokee
• Jeep Grand Cherokee May Suddenly Accelerate, Connecticut Charges
• Hot Seat Recall for Jeep Grand Cherokee
---
Complaints
• Unintended acceleration
• Wading depth
• Other problems
---
Recalls
• Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Nitro Recall
• Jeep Liberty Suspension Failure Recall
• Feds Expand Jeep Liberty Probe
• Hot Seat Recall for Jeep Grand Cherokee
• Jeep Wrangler Investigation
---
• More about Chrysler

The DaimlerChrysler Jeep Grand Cherokee is facing a second recall in a week.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 131,441 of the SUVs from the 2000 to 2002 model years should be returned to dealers to repair the electric cooling fan because the plastic blades on the fan may separate and penetrate the fan shroud.

NHTSA warns that if the Grand Cherokee hood is open when the fan blades come apart, anyone standing near the engine compartment could be struck by a flying blade, possibly suffering serious injury.

Jeep dealers will replace the cooling fan module free of charge when the recall begins later this summer.

Earlier in the week, the Connecticut Attorney General warned federal regulators that they ought to investigate unintended acceleration in the Chrysler Jeep Grand Cherokee after a 52-year-old man was run over and killed by a Grand Cherokee in a Connecticut car wash.

Unintended acceleration is not a new problem with the Grand Cherokee. ConsumerAffairs.Com has published reports of similar accidents since at least 2000, involving the Jeep Grand Cherokee and other Chrysler products.

NHTSA has also recalled the SUV this week because the front passenger seat in the 2003 and 2004 Grand Cherokee SUVs can become a smoldering hot seat and even catch fire as a result of a faulty seat warmer.

NHTSA is recalling 111,687 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs from the 2003 and 2004 model years equipped with heated seats.

Owners of a Jeep Grand Cherokee may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403 or NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 6:22pm On Nov 19, 2007
I would go further but I'm limited. The details of this vehicle is grave enough to opt for another choice.  It's also interesting to figure that the heated leather seats do catch fire as a result of a badly configured heater core.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by henrey(m): 1:18am On Nov 20, 2007
Nissan Pathfinder is one of the most relible SUV for Nigerian roads.
It's a Path- Finder !!
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by easimoni(m): 4:24am On Nov 20, 2007
The best JEEP is a Jeep. tongue The best SUV? A Hummer. Maybe a monster truck.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Naijadr: 9:42am On Nov 20, 2007
Had my grand cherokee for over 3 yrs and that SUV is ride or die oh!! Havent had any major problems and I have ridden it all over the place here in the US, and its moving strong. Plus its a dog where I stay with our crazy snowstorms.
Folks here yarning all this prob never owned a "Jeep Grand Cherokee" so stop quoting what ur friend's brother's cousin Emeka told u jare tongue
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by femi4love(m): 11:44am On Nov 20, 2007
I use a Toyota RAV4 by God's grace and I can tell you that it's very good. I used cars when I was in Nigeria and drove when I went last year, so I still have a fair knowledge of the road condition. If I have to choose again, I will definitely choose Toyota. I have no experience of other 4x4s, so can't compare. If I decide to come and settle in Nigeria, I will rather buy one there or ship one from Europe to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 2:02pm On Nov 20, 2007
Naijadr:

Had my grand cherokee for over 3 years and that SUV is ride or die oh!! Havent had any major problems and I have ridden it all over the place here in the US, and its moving strong. Plus its a dog where I stay with our crazy snowstorms.
Folks here yarning all this prob never owned a "Jeep Grand Cherokee" so stop quoting what your friend's brother's cousin Emeka told u jare tongue

When NHTSA has file-complaints about a particular vehicle, engineers are charged to investigate.  When the issues can be duplicated, then it becomes a case file.  Whatever your personal opinion about this vehicle is your business.  It doesn't hold up against what is official.  You must not know that NHTSA is responsible to issueing a manufacturer a bill of recall against a product that deems defective.  Those complaints were listed by actual owners of Jeep products.  All these cases have ODI numbers.

If you have an opinion, then why don't you be an engineer and state your own opinion in a campaign against the establishment of public safety and consumer affairs. 

I don't care what you say or what the entire public says.  When engineers deem a product defective, it automaitcally becomes a write-off.  Two blacks will never equate white.  This is my field of study and in a few days, will be getting my first SAE licence.  I've paid the price and done the discipline.  If you can detail in engineering terms and principle that this is not a failed product I might probably believe you.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 2:25pm On Nov 20, 2007
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

Recalls - Search Results
4 Records Displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Date :  November 20, 2007 at 08:21 AM 
NHTSA Campaign ID number :  07V415000 

Make / Models :           Model/Build Years:     
     JEEP / COMMANDER       2007-2008

JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE       2007-2008

Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION   

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V415000  Mfr's Report Date : SEP 11, 2007
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:DISC:CALIPER
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 28755
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS IN A CERTAIN LOT MAY HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED FROM GRAY IRON INSTEAD OF DUCTILE IRON AS DESIGNED AND COULD FRACTURE WITHOUT WARNING. 
Consequence:
THIS WOULD INCREASE THE VEHICLE'S STOPPING DISTANCE AND COULD CAUSE A CRASH. 
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS TO SEE IF THEY FALL INTO THIS LOT AND, IF SO, WILL REPLACE THEM FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 22, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO G35. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV. 

Does this sound like this corporation cares about your safety?  Yet, some people wonder why Toyota takes the entire market.  Besides it being nominated by Consumer Complaint the worst 4x4 on US soil, it has the power to propel you from 0 to 90 at WOT but not the guarantee to stop the vehicle because brake setup and configuration is not at par.    There should be no problem intellectualising this.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by sultaan(m): 4:27pm On Nov 20, 2007
Window regulator, door actuator very common problem(from experience).Brakes, caliper, and rotors(done that).But I only saw a few people say transmission/engine died.

Commander seems to be riddled with problems(happens to most first generation vehicles)no excuse for failures which ia why they'll stop making it.

Chrysler's engineers mess up really good on simple things, and their customer (no)service is legendary. When they go cheap on parts it ends up costing over 100x of manunfacturer's saving to customer's cost of replacement($2 part in door/window mechanism costs >$200 to replace).

If you can do any of these common repairs yourselt you'll save $3-$4k over 4Runner and you are limited to about 8 weak points that cost ~ $500 to replace all if they fail at same time.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Pennywise(m): 4:39pm On Nov 20, 2007
Hello Deji99,

Seeing Ivvie spew out all those stats on Jeep Cherokee must have been very troubling for you especially if you are a Jeep lover. A few months ago I got myself a 2003 Ford explorer. My heart sank when I saw all that was written about this model on the net. 6 months down the road I thank God everyday I bought this SUV for its comfort, drive smoothness etc etc. The sound system is from a different world. Makes you feel like moving into the car. Usually this kind of romance doesn’t go beyond one week when I get a car.

The point is if you feel good about a particular brand buy it (better brand new otherwise next to new for your peace of mind) rather than buying a not so new popular brand you dont quite like. An average car user gets to keep a car for how long before he starts wanting another? Is it 3-4yrs.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by sultaan(m): 4:54pm On Nov 20, 2007
Exactly that is why you want to spend less as a second owner. You just have to research and know what you are getting into.Get what you truely wnat instead of what pple think is good for you. In either cases if you get a bad car at least you got what you wanted, not what people think you should get.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 5:07pm On Nov 20, 2007
What desperately makes me angry is that they know the right thing but they choose the wrong over money and profit.  As a result, some lives have been lost and all they use as defense is "Incompetence."  I have no problem seeing a "cabin" on wheels but when you pay over $50,000 on a vehicle only to have it burn down your entire life investment, then I think the average mode of reasoning has taking a wide angle of error.  You shouldn't have a bad experience before you realise something is bad.  Personally, with my busy and complicated life, the last thing on my mind is to stoop low to hap-hazzard car maintenance.

@Pennywise

I had a terrible experience with a Mitsubishi Diamante. My mind was made up that it was going to be my last lemon ever and unreliable vehicle that I will ever own. I won't purchase a vehicle without checking ODI (Office of defects and Investigations). Secondly, I will have to understand every single thing about that vehicle because I'm not going to make any dealership or repair centre any richer than what they ought to be.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by israelite(m): 5:09pm On Nov 20, 2007
the best jeep for nigerian roads IS RANGE ROVER(LAND ROVER) 2001 MODEL
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 5:12pm On Nov 20, 2007
sultaan:

Window regulator, door actuator very common problem(from experience).Brakes, caliper, and rotors(done that).But I only saw a few people say transmission/engine died.

Commander seems to be riddled with problems(happens to most first generation vehicles)no excuse for failures which ia why they'll stop making it.

Chrysler's engineers mess up really good on simple things, and their customer (no)service is legendary. When they go cheap on parts it ends up costing over 100x of manunfacturer's saving to customer's cost of replacement($2 part in door/window mechanism costs >$200 to replace).If you can do any of these common repairs yourselt you'll save $3-$4k over 4Runner and you are limited to about 8 weak points that cost ~ $500 to replace all if they fail at same time.

Sultaan, you just said it all. That is nothing short of the truth.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by seun001(m): 5:49pm On Nov 20, 2007
did somebody say 10 foot pole,
me its a scramble for dear life when i see it 200 foot away.am wondering why they have not been heavily sanctioned.i dont own one but it easy to assume the worst when u keep getting bad news about a particular product.

for me,nothing comes close like the japanese cars for nigerian roads.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by Ivvie: 6:06pm On Nov 20, 2007
There is a saying " A word is enough for the wise."

2 years ago, a Mexican that made his way to the United States with nothing worked his life out to live the American Dream. True he did live the dream here in Houston doing the construction job and living a debt free life (nothing on credit). His home was paid cash and a standard garage to govern the privacy of his new Ford Expedition. The Ford Expedition caught fire (self destruct from some cruise switch or so) and burnt his entire life estate. Everything he had laboured for in 15 years was burnt completely in 20 minutes. A grown man was weeping on the news. Ford took no responsibility for the loss till it made the media. When the media heard this, people contributed/donated for this family to be able to afford a lawyer that will take Ford up.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by seun001(m): 6:08pm On Nov 20, 2007
i think the poster had better check out the link posted by Ivvie.
Re: The Best Jeep For Nigerian Roads? by spaceworld: 12:20am On Nov 21, 2007
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE w/ Navigation - FULLY LOADED!!!
Mileage: 35K
Body Style: SUV
Exterior Color: DARK BLUE
Interior Color: BEIGE LEATHER
VIN: 5N1AR18W66C620685
Engine: 6 Cylinders
Transmission: 5 SPD AUTO

Dark blue Exterior
Tan Leather Interior
Navigation Package w/color display
Bose Sound System w/ 6 disc CD changer & AM/FM/Satellite radio & 10 speakers Cruise Control w/Steering Wheel-Mounted Controls
Rear Lift gate w/Opening Rear Glass
Remote Keyless Entry
4 12V DC Power Outlets
Tilt Steering Wheel & Trip Computer
Sun visors w/Extender & Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
Overhead Console w/Sunglass Storage
Storage Compartment under Cargo Floor
Wood-toned Trim, Leather Steering & Shift Knob
40/20/40 Split Fold Flat 2nd Row Seating
50/50 Split Fold Flat 3rd Row Seating
Heated Front Seats
Front and Side Airbags (AABS)
Power Windows & Locks
Power Steering
Power Seats
ABS & Electronic Brake Force Distribution
Dual Zone Auto Temp Control & Rear A/C & Heat Controls
Rear Wiper and Defrost
8-Way Power Driver & 4-Way Power Passenger Seat
Dual Power Remote-Controlled Heated Side view Mirrors
Driver Memory System (Seat, Mirrors, Pedals)
Automatic Headlamp & Homelink System
Power Slide & Tilt Sunroof w/1-Touch Open/Close
Auto Day/Night Mirror w/Compass & Outside Temp
Adjustable Head Restraints - all rows
Lower Anchors and Tethers for Child Seats (Latch) & Child Safety Rear Doors
Roof-Mounted Curtain Supp. Airbags for Side Impact and Rollover Protection
Vehicle Dynamic Control
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Towing Package (Receiver Hitch w/4-Pin Trailer Harness Plug)
Roof Rails w/Crossbars
Side Running Boards
Fog Lamps
Privacy Glass
Tire Splash Guards
Front Grille Guard and Rear Guard, Black
First Aid Kit

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

​Hyundai Develops Fingerprint Tech To Unlock And Start Cars / Help! 2008 Honda Accord Has High Idle @1500rpm / I Just Got My First Car!!!!! Toyota Matrix 2005 Toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.