Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,797 members, 7,806,203 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? (1368 Views)

The Meaning Of "Next Of Kin" / My Family Is Starving, Please Anybody Who Can Help Us Out / Please Anybody Help!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 8:48pm On Feb 17, 2021
Please don't mind my write up
My uncle and his wife was suppose to attend a wedding, but a week before the wedding he was sick so he was unable to attend the wedding. So today the mother of the person wedding decided to come and come and drop their gift ooo.
The gift consist of tray, umbrella, jotter and so on... But the one that amaze me is that she pack coconut, cucumber, salt and what Yoruba call Adun. Please who knows the meaning ?
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by LuckyKeys1: 8:55pm On Feb 17, 2021
I don’t think there’s any ulterior motive behind the gifts. It’s just a gift

1 Like

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by LuckyKeys1: 8:56pm On Feb 17, 2021
A
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2021
My uncle is saying it has a deeper meaning in Yoruba

He asked me to go and throw it away immediately the woman left
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Uyi168: 9:18pm On Feb 17, 2021
delex004:

Why didn't u ask your superstitious uncle the deep meaning therein
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by donbachi(m): 9:36pm On Feb 17, 2021
Fruit of the womb.
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by thorpido(m): 9:41pm On Feb 17, 2021
Those things are part of what is used for the traditional marriage.Usually after the ceremony,they are shared with relatives.

If your Uncle is part of the family(or regarded as such),he will get those things.

4 Likes

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by sisisioge: 9:44pm On Feb 17, 2021
Na wa....its so hard being benevolent to most extended family members.

All she did was to bring your uncle's share of the dowry package as well as the souvenirs. I once got a tuber of yam and sugarcane from my cousins wedding as my share of the dowry. Didnt question their motive fa grin

8 Likes

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by mariahAngel(f): 10:13pm On Feb 17, 2021
delex004:
Please don't mind my write up
My uncle and his wife was suppose to attend a wedding, but a week before the wedding he was sick so he was unable to attend the wedding. So today the mother of the person wedding decided to come and come and drop their gift ooo.
The gift consist of tray, umbrella, jotter and so on... But the one that amaze me is that she pack coconut, cucumber, salt and what Yoruba call Adun. Please who knows the meaning ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

Coconut, salt and honey, I can understand, but the cucumber?
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 10:50pm On Feb 17, 2021
This is my first time of seeing this.....
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by merieam16(f): 10:04am On Feb 18, 2021
sisisioge:

All she did was to bring your uncle's share of the dowry package as well as the souvenirs. I once got a tuber of yam and sugarcane from my cousins wedding as my share of the dowry. Didnt question their motive fa grin
U said it all...u can never please human being

if she didnt bring their share, i guess his uncle would av said she's selfish nd nt caring smh
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by LadySarah: 11:18am On Feb 18, 2021
pls it's part of what the grooms family brought during the traditional rites.Theres no ulterior motive.

Nawaaoo, this superstitious something is really getting to us here
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Richy4(m): 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2021
I don't just want to tell you what I thought of your Uncle...I guess people that read your write up were boiling within...scared to tell you.. so u won't get offended angry
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Momcherry(f): 4:04pm On Feb 18, 2021
sisisioge:

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Momcherry(f): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2021
sisisioge:

With the way people of this part of the world reasons and through my past experience, to give gifts out of freewill sef don dey fear me. So I won't be accused of being responsible for someone's misfortune undecided
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by afribabe: 5:03pm On Feb 18, 2021
delex004:

Maybe he was expecting more than that .. abi
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by MufasaLion: 6:36pm On Feb 18, 2021
This country and superstitious mentality. It will take centuries before Nigeria develop
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by vincent10(m): 8:09pm On Feb 18, 2021
A terrible way of thinking by your uncle. Those things are part of the bride price that was given to your uncle as part of the family.

If the woman did not bring those items, your uncle will complain of been sidelined.
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 18, 2021
Who shares such as souvenir? Too fetish.

Since you guys have trashed it, I don't think there's any need bothering about what it means. It is better to let sleeping dogs lie. Don't you think?
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 9:48pm On Feb 18, 2021
CalliDora1:
Who shares such as sourveneir? Too fetish.

Since you guys have trashed it, I don't think there's any need bothering about what it means. It is better to let sleeping dogs lie. Don't you think?

That was what he was saying, that is too fetish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 9:49pm On Feb 18, 2021
It's my first time of seeing it, so I was anxious to know the meaning cause my uncle refuse to tell me the meaning ......
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 9:50pm On Feb 18, 2021
MufasaLion:
This country and superstitious mentality. It will take centuries before Nigeria develop

What has development had to do with this.....
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by LadySarah: 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2021
CalliDora1:

What is fetish about it?Its normal everywhere. even in Igbo culture, it's part of what the girls umunna gets from the list given to the groom. His uncle was considered family reason why it was given to him alongside the white wedding souvenirs . My mom always gets several Stella pomades, powders ,soaps coconuts,salts etc.

That is how we berate everything that is culture in the name of religous wokeness while Suleiman buys 3rd private jet on your heads.

You will be reminded when you do yours and ensure you keep all the requirements brought in your house .

1 Like

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by NoToPile: 10:04am On Feb 19, 2021
CalliDora1:

Its his uncles share of the items the groom came with to marry the bride, where I come from everything is shared.

The tray jotter and umbrella is the souvenir.

The salt , fruits and Adun is part of the traditional requirement grooms family packaged to marry the girl. I believe the uncle is from the brides family.

Where I come from everything is shared into 2 between the brides maternal and paternal side of the bride and then reshared among themselves.

They share it to the last, some even use tin milk/ derica to share bag of rice into small nylons cheesy it must go round ,, sachets of salts, sugar, fruits yams everything even the kids get the sweets

Those that didn't make the wedding theirs will be packaged and sent to them. Most elders will get something from the package no matter how small.

The Uncle knows this. He's Yoruba naaw . There's nothing fetissh about it, its what is required by tradition .If you guys now decide not to use/ eat them its another matter entirely

Cc:delex004

1 Like

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 19, 2021
NoToPile:

Its his uncles share of the items the groom came with to marry the bride, where I come from everything is shared.

The salt , fruits and Adun is part of the traditional requirement grooms family packaged to marry the girl. I believe the uncle is from the brides family.

Where I come from everything is shared into 2 between the brides maternal and paternal side of the bride and then reshared among themselves.

They share it to the last, some even use tin milk/ derica to share bag of rice into small nylons cheesy it must go round ,, sachets of salts, sugar, fruits yams everything even the kids get the sweets

Those that didn't make the wedding theirs will be packaged and sent to them. Most elders will get something from the package no matter how small.

The Uncle knows this. He's Yoruba naaw . There's nothing fetissh about it, its what is required by tradition .If you guys now decide not to use/ eat them its another matter entirely

They are not related. He's just a friend to them and that is why everyone, (including me) is wondering why they had to give such a thing to an outsider. Or I didn't read right? They are not families.

It's ok if it's a traditional rite but I feel it should stay within the family. If you give me such things, I won't collect since I don't understand.
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Mindlog: 10:14am On Feb 19, 2021
CalliDora1:

Please do elucidate what is fetish about
-Tray,
-Umbrella
-Jotter
-Coconut
-Cucumber
-Salt
-Adun

2 Likes

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by NoToPile: 10:17am On Feb 19, 2021
CalliDora1:

They are not related. He's just a friend to them and that is why everyone, (including me) is wondering why they had to give such a thing to an outsider. Or I didn't read right? They are not families.

It's ok if it's the traditional rite but I feel it should stay within the family. If you give me such things, I won't collect since I don't understand.

They simply see him as family, he must be very close to them to be given a share of the marriage items. My alaga was given a tuber of yam by my mum, shes a family friend.

The uncle knows what he was given and why he was given. Deciding to eat/use them or not is his own choice.

1 Like

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 19, 2021
NoToPile:

They simply see him as family, he must be very close to them to be given a share of the marriage items. My alaga was given a tuber of yam by my mum, shes a family friend.

Why then are they questioning the gift? You don't get it. Your mum gave out yam which is ok but giving those tiny things to a full grown man who can't relate with them?? I mean it's somehow. There things you don't give out.
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by ThatPetiteChic: 10:32am On Feb 19, 2021
NoToPile:
You don't need to keep explaining to her. She's probably not a Yoruba lady so it will be difficult for her to understand.

To the Op:
I don't see anything fetish in what was gifted to the uncle. Adun is a local snack and I love eating it just like eko(agidi). It's also part of the marriage list. Some people may read unnecessary meaning to it but I'm sure the woman gave your uncle with a clear mind. I hope your uncle won't change his attitude towards her and start thinking she's an enemy of progress because na so e dey start. Brewing discord and hatred where there is none.

@CalliDora1

I got married last year December and they splitted everything into 2(paternal and maternal). My dad's people are very small and they travelled from far so they couldn't carry most of their share. He had to give out almost everything to his friends and staff. Including salt, sugar, fruits, aadun, kolanut etc and they were all happy to receive because they felt they were tapping from the Blessing. We need to focus on more relevant things in our lives.

1 Like

Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by NoToPile: 10:34am On Feb 19, 2021
CalliDora1:

Why then are they questioning the gift? You don't get it. Your mum gave out yam which is ok but giving those tiny things to a full grown man who can't relate with them? ? [/b] I mean it's somehow. There things you don't give out.

Tiny things? grin grin Abeg they are not tiny, not everyone will get yam.

@2nd bolded you still don't get the concept which it is 'no matter how small you must get something from the items brought from the husbands family',

Some get only one small sachet of salt.

He got coconut, cucumber, salt and Adun .

Maybe his uncle is not elderly then if he can't relate with the items he was given but the poster asked a question to know what/ why and he has been answered.
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by NoToPile: 10:35am On Feb 19, 2021
ThatPetiteChic:

You don't need to keep explaining to her. She's probably not a Yoruba lady so it will be difficult for her to understand.

To the Op:
I don't see anything fetish in what was gifted to the uncle. Adun is a local snack and I love eating it just like eko(agidi). It's also part of the marriage list. Some people may read unnecessary meaning to it but I'm sure the woman gave your uncle with a clear mind. I hope your uncle won't change his attitude towards her and start thinking she's an enemy of progress because na so e dey start. Brewing discord and hatred where there is none.

Tooor, it is well
Re: Please Anybody With The Meaning Of This ? by delex004(m): 10:40am On Feb 19, 2021
NoToPile:

Thanks for the insight

(1) (2) (Reply)

See REAL REASONS Why Women Deny Their Husbands Sex. / Pretentious Women / Do You Believe Witch Craft Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.