Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? (925 Views)

300 Divorces, Widows Get Married At Mass Weddings Sponsored By Kebbi State / Why Do Our Society Only Have Pity For Widows Only But Not Widowers? / Help!! My Father Has Too Much Interest On Widows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 19, 2021
A widow has lost her husband.
A widower has lost his wife.

One often comes across how some foundation and some NGO donate relief materials to widows. But I have not come across where such charity gestures have been extended to widowers, men who have lost their wives. If you have I would love to hear about it.

Secondly, is our society that damaged that once a woman achieves the status of a widow she immediately qualifies to enroll in the group of those needing charity? Please don't twist my words, this is in no way against the act of extending charity and benevolence to those genuinely in need (including widows). I am simply wondering how we have come bloc categorize widowhood to neediness. I think it is high time for some women (not all) to start making plans how to survive and maintain the home should the husband die before them. (Don't say God forbid; death is a permanent tenant of life.) Men too should make sure their wives are financially capable of maintaining the home should they die, and this starts right from the moment you are about to fall in love. Let's stop associating manliness with the practice of indulging a wife's inability to contribute to maintaining the home. No such thing as his money, my money. If many don't get this right your children will suffer and will be forced to indiscriminately drop their aza everywhere, or become runz girls and oloshos and fraudsters and kidnappers.

The moment you marry, it ceases being all about either or the two of you.

And of course, there are few exceptions to this: some are from such wealthy background that they practically don't need to lift a finger to contribute to their own upkeep.

Happy weekend.

PS: I am not certain what I would call someone who has lost a gay partner. Widow or widower?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Fahdiga(m): 11:40am On Feb 19, 2021
Some are hiding behind 'donors' to sleep with widows

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 19, 2021
Haba! grin grin

Fahdiga:
Some are hiding behind 'donors' to sleep with widows

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by bukatyne(f): 2:16pm On Feb 19, 2021
Men function in the society so naturally, the society would be kinder to women than men. The same way women function in the home hence the 'home' is kinder to men.

As a result, men are expected to be able to fix themselves or solve their problems; in this case get a new wife to handle the domestic part he can't/wouldn't. This also means they don't get much sympathy on a societial level which includes monetary.

People would rally round a prostitute who is a single mother of three kids from different fathers than before they consider a family man of three kids who lost his job.

This thinking on a societial level also affect alimony: nobody is cares that a man's standard of domestic living would drop (no more fresh soups, clean house, clean clothes, organized home etc.). They are more concerned that a woman's standard of financial living would drop and want to ensure that doesn't happen.

This is how nature designed it and so it shall be.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by igbowoman: 2:17pm On Feb 19, 2021
bizme:
A widow has lost her husband.
A widower has lost his wife.

One often comes across how some foundation and some NGO donate relief materials to widows. But I have not come across where such charity gestures have been extended to widowers, men who have lost their wives. If you have I would love to hear about it.

Secondly, is our society that damaged that once a woman achieves the status of a widow she immediately qualifies to enroll in the group of those needing charity?
Please don't twist my words, this is in no way against the act of extending charity and benevolence to those genuinely in need (including widows). I am simply wondering how we have come bloc categorize widowhood to neediness. I think it is high time for some women (not all) to start making plans how to survive and maintain the home should the husband die before them. (Don't say God forbid; death is a permanent tenant of life.) Men too should make sure their wives are financially capable of maintaining the home should they die, and this starts right from the moment you are about to fall in love. Let's stop associating manliness with the practice of indulging a wife's inability to contribute to maintaining the home. No such thing as his money, my money. If many don't get this right your children will suffer and will be forced to indiscriminately drop their aza everywhere, or become runz girls and oloshos and fraudsters and kidnappers.

The moment you marry, it ceases being all about either or the two of you.

And of course, there are few exceptions to this: some are from such wealthy background that they practically don't need to lift a finger to contribute to their own upkeep.

Happy weekend.

PS: I am not certain what I would call someone who has lost a gay partner. Widow or widower?

What a load of nonsense.
In one post you are fighting for widowers, against widows,chastising people not making plans before becoming widows,giving financial and marital counseling.
Only you.
Na wa
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 19, 2021
I really appreciate your maturity igbowoman. Register marked. Thanks.

igbowoman:

What a load of nonsense.
In one post you are fighting for widowers, against widows,chastising people not making plans before becoming widows,giving financial and marital counseling.
Only you.
Na wa

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2021
Actually this makes a lot of sense. I also believe there's such thing as a herd thinking at the societal level: regardless of what theoretical opinions we may individually hold, when we are faced with certain issues we tend to behave in particular fashion. Unfortunately it isn't always as simple as the society being kinder to widows; they also become more vulnerable to some level of ills especially when the 'benefactor' wants to make some demand.

bukatyne:
Men function in the society so naturally, the society would be kinder to women than men. The same way women function in the home hence the 'home' is kinder to men.

As a result, men are expected to be able to fix themselves or solve their problems; in this case get a new wife to handle the domestic part he can't/wouldn't. This also means they don't get much sympathy on a societial level which includes monetary.

People would rally round a prostitute who is a single mother of three kids from different fathers than before they consider a family man of three kids who lost his job.

This thinking on a societial level also affect alimony: nobody is cares that a man's standard of domestic living would drop (no more fresh soups, clean house, clean clothes, organized home etc.). They are more concerned that a woman's standard of financial living would drop and want to ensure that doesn't happen.

This is how nature designed it and so it shall be.
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by bukatyne(f): 3:02pm On Feb 19, 2021
bizme:
Actually this makes a lot of sense. I also believe there's such thing as a herd thinking at the societal level: regardless of what theoretical opinions we may individually hold, when we are faced with certain issues we tend to behave in particular fashion. Unfortunately it isn't always as simple as the society being kinder to widows; they also become more vulnerable to some level of ills especially when the 'benefactor' wants to make some demand.

I agree with herd thinking in the society. And almost all societies are alike at its core.

Humans are same; just different laws curtailing their behaviors.

You are comparing 'home/unit' level treatment of widows: outlawed widowhood practices, their in-laws stealing their properties etc. To the societial treatment of sympathy they get.

In my initial post, I said women 'manage' the home/family hence are judged harshly there; men 'manage' the society hence judged harshly there.

Widows get men & women who want to help them (some at a cost); widowers do not even have helpers at all.

If not for man placing a premium on his sexual need, how is sleeping with a woman (who might also enjoy it) for help in cash or kind a fair exchange?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by BornMarch15(m): 6:26pm On Feb 19, 2021
Interesting thread
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by mariahAngel(f): 10:21pm On Feb 19, 2021
mosdii:
It is simply because Nigerian Girls Are Useless...All Of Them

You're suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
The truth is you're fast going crazy, but you don't even know it yet and have no one to tell you.
Seek help fast.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2021
@op. I'm guilty of this trend of thinking. I would rather spend on a widow than a widower. Traditionally I think it's because we still expect the man to be the breadwinner.

bukatyne:

I agree with herd thinking in the society. And almost all societies are alike at its core.

You are comparing 'home/unit' level treatment of widows: outlawed widowhood practices, their in-laws stealing their properties etc. To the societial treatment of sympathy they get.

In my initial post, I said women 'manage' the home/family hence are judged harshly there; men 'manage' the society hence judged harshly there.

Widows get men & women who want to help them (some at a cost); widowers do not even have helpers at all.

If not for man placing a premium on his sexual need, how is sleeping with a woman (who might also enjoy it) for help in cash or kind a fair exchange?

You should check out Juliana Stewart on tweeter. She's an adorable unrepentant trad wife. You think so much like her.
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Teleprompter(f): 1:18pm On Feb 21, 2021
I've have once thought about this as well.
There are many widows who have more than even men.

I personally don't like the notion of associating widows to being in need of charity.

I also don't believe that a woman should have more children than she can cater for alone because a partner can drop dead at any time or can even become out of reach or incapacitated.

I would not hesitate to offer money to a struggling widower who puts his children first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by afribabe: 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2021
In most societies, once a man dies, his extended family members take over the properties leaving the widow with nothing to take care of the children. Cases like this I believe, lead to the establishment of organisations fighting for widows right etc. I have never heard of a dead wife's extended family coming to seize properties even if it was their daughter that's the sole owner
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by ursamajor: 9:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
It's a woman's world really.
You struggle to convince a girl to date you, struggle pay for outings with her, struggle to impress her in bed, struggle to convince her family you are capable of providing and protecting her, struggle to keep her happy and provided for after marriage, Then Soon enough, your kids will grow up to prefer their mother who is less stern and always available (you were out providing for them o).
The children grow up, move abroad, then invite their mother only to come and take care of the new baby(leaving grandpa alone and sad).
When he eventually dies they throw a big party, then that's all.
Over sixty years of struggle struggle and more struggle without end.

Nawa o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 22, 2021
As a man you owe yourself the duty of enjoying your life while you provide for your family, and also making provisions for your old age. Marriage belongs to women; never forget that; but you must train your sons to be men and that is very important.

ursamajor:
It's a woman's world really.
You struggle to convince a girl to date you, struggle pay for outings with her, struggle to impress her in bed, struggle to convince her family you are capable of providing and protecting her, struggle to keep her happy and provided for after marriage, Then Soon enough, your kids will grow up to prefer their mother who is less stern and always available (you were out providing for them o).
The children grow up, move abroad, then invite their mother only to come and take care of the new baby(leaving grandpa alone and sad).
When he eventually dies they throw a big party, then that's all.
Over sixty years of struggle struggle and more struggle without end.

Nawa o
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by crackhaus: 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2021
bukatyne:

gringrin
Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Vyolet(f): 6:56pm On Feb 22, 2021
Widowers are not neglected by society, the way society show care for both party is only different.

The woman's duty is traditionally tied to taking care of the house and tending to her husband and kids hence, once she becomes a widow, no one would bother about how she does her domestic chores, all what everyone would be concerned about is how she copes financially.

A man on the other hand is traditionally tied to being a financial provider hence when he loses his wife, the society render help to him by advising him to get another wife immediately to take care of him, the kids and the home. Some families even go to the extent of searching for suitable women for him and even if he is yet to get another wife, women around him would still find a way to help him out with domestic chores.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 22, 2021
Summary: Society expects a man to be a provider, and the woman to be in need of being provided for. Very interesting explanation from you, even though this doesn't exactly fit into the feminism-driven society that some are hustling to perpetuate.

Vyolet:
Widowers are not neglected by society, the way society show care for both party is only different.

The woman's duty is traditionally tied to taking care of the house and tending to her husband and kids hence, once she becomes a widow, no one would bother about how she does her domestic chores, all what everyone would be concerned about is how she copes financially.

A man on the other hand is traditionally tied to being a financial provider hence when he loses his wife, the society render help to him by advising him to get another wife immediately to take care of him, the kids and the home. Some families even go to the extent of searching for suitable women for him and even of he is yet to get another wife, women around him would still find a way to help him out win domestic chores.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Vyolet(f): 8:29am On Feb 23, 2021
bizme:
Summary: Society expects a man to be a provider, and the woman to be in need of being provided for. Very interesting explanation from you, even though this doesn't exactly fit into the feminism-driven society that some are hustling to perpetuate.

That is what society expects but we are grateful to the earlier feminists who fought for the right of a woman to become financial providers as well, it is this financial freedom that protects the widow from men who see them as vulnerable and can be taken advantage of.

Do not confuse feminism for something else.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Charity Donations For Widows And Never For Widowers? by Leoniine(f): 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2021
bizme:

Really? How does this not fit into a feminism-driven perspective?

That's one of the basis of the society feminists criticize (man providing for a woman who needs provision).

Should that reality not point to the fact of our society still being largely traditional than egalitarian like some would have us believe?

There are so many social roles and ideas (e.g., economic freedom on a woman's part) that ties into all of this - considering the submission of the person you quoted.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hello / Woman Who Slapped Her Husband On Live Radio Show Goes On Her Knees To Beg Him / How Do You Know ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.