Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,403 members, 7,800,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets (9692 Views)

PDP Chairmanship Contest Becomes More Competitive As Atiku Supports Suswam Again / Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation / Full Rehabilitation Of Refineries Begins January-NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by NwaNimo1(m): 2:58pm On Feb 21, 2021
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has supported decision by the Federal Government to privatise some of its assets.

The assets include refineries, the International Conference Centre in Abuja, Yola Electricity Distribution Company, Zungeru Hydro Power, Tafawa Belewa Square, among others.

A total of N493.4bn is expected to be earned from the sale of the assets which were classified under energy assets, industries and communication department as well as development institutions and natural resources.

In a statement titled ‘Privatisation of Refineries and Other Assets: Better Late Than Never,’ Atiku however demanded transparency in the process.

He expressed delight that the privatisation of public assets which he once championed and was scorned for by the All Progressives Congress-led administration is now being embraced by the same administration.

He said: “For decades, I have championed the privatisation of our economy and full deregulation of our oil and gas sector, amongst other sectors, for greater service delivery and efficiency.

“As chairman of the National Council on Privatisation, I advanced these policies which saw our economy achieve 6% GDP growth and created jobs for the masses of our people and amass the national wealth that enabled us exit the debt trap, and secure our financial independence.

“Even though my ideas were scorned by the All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government over the years, I am nevertheless most fulfilled that an administration that once failed to see the wisdom in these sound economic policies, is now facing reality and has now embraced reason, by announcing the privatisation of our refineries and other assets, which have not always prospered under public management.

“It is always better late than never. And I commend the Federal Government for coming on board. I urge that the privatisation process be as transparent as possible, as that is the only way to ensure that Nigeria reaps the greatest economic benefits from this policy.

“It was never about me. My interest has always been the peace, prosperity and progress of Nigeria, and I am happy to share these ideas, and others, with the government of the day, for the betterment of our nation and its people.”
https://thenationonlineng.net/atiku-supports-proposed-privatisation-of-refineries-assets/

1 Like

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by espn(m): 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2021
Oga wan buy...why e no go support...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by festacman(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2021
If Atiku Abubakar is driven by love for Nigerian rather than by power-hunt for self-enrichment, let him use his political influence to galvanize his atikulated fan base and indeed all the youths of this country to vote a bright cerebral and politically experienced young chap as president. This will kickstart the much needed New Political Order paradigm shift away from the existing Political Order or it it DISORDER that came into existence in the post-military 1999.

Young and cerebral because of brain work and physical tasks that are involved. Political experienced because a greenhorn will be a bull in china shop. Young age is important because already-made big men in power sees themselves as "constituted authority" to be waited on rather than hand-in-the-mud public servants.

Doing this needs sacrifice but will Atiku Abubakar make this sacrifice? I bet if he does, he will be forever remembered and celebrated as one of architect of mordern Nigeria Democracy.

Unfortunately, I am sure as at the moment, young people who are social media influencers are already being recruited and retained for another round of ATIKULATED ONSLAUGHT.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by NwaNimo1(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2021

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by iamJ(m): 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2021
He should nationalize the public funds that he stole first grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by TANID(m): 3:36pm On Feb 21, 2021
espn:
exactly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Chijeep(m): 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
Let them sell it and use the money to increase our electricity because electric cars are on there way.

BUT WAIT... Y IS IT THAT THIS MAN ATIKU DON'T KNOW PASS SELL, SELL, SELL?
NIGERIA NA EBAY
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by antiBOTspam: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
Is he Mad

2 Likes

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
iamJ:
He should nationalize the public funds that he stole first grin

espn:

He has promised to be a good boy henceforth...
Sakamanje tinzzzz.
Zoboooooo cool

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by specialmati(m): 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin grin na them criminals everywhere. people wey they in position to suppose make this country work.this one they wait 2023.anyone wey go vote all this old generation of theives again that persons hand go break
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Nobody: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
Okay

But the privatization would work only if the refineries are allowed to sell all their products, including petrol for a profit.

The reason why our refineries don't work is because for decades they have been selling fuel at a loss. No profit, refineries break down...and yes, we need far more money than what NNPC spends on those non-functioning refineries to make them work.

That means subsidy must go, and fuel must be sold at a price determined by the market, not by government.

Niger has a working refinery because they don't sell petrol there at N100 per liter...because they are poor. They sell fuel there at N350 per liter there...making enough money to keep their single 20000bpd refinery working, to the point that they now export to 4 different African countries.

Here we buy fuel at N190 and sell at N162 and somehow expect NNPC to spend money it should be using for refineries to cover losses as a result...and we think it is sustainable?

Plus, even if Dangote comes on stream, do you expect Dangote to sell fuel at N150 or less per liter, and make enough profit to pay off his loans and to maintain the reifnery?

Same thing for power. Power was privatized in 2013, and then government decided to sell power below the production price, while the losses were covered by loans and grants. Hence no improvement. Even now, we are selling power at N51 per kwh when it costs N53 per kwh to make.

7 Likes

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by ImDStar: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
God help Nigeria
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
There was a country,
When thieves, looters and criminals that raped, killed and looted our National Treasury still have a say.
Pathetic.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by slawormiir: 4:09pm On Feb 21, 2021
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by ForeThinker: 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2021
WAHALA be like hunger ...
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Alwaysachick: 4:11pm On Feb 21, 2021
This is no news
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Allakent: 4:11pm On Feb 21, 2021
Dubai man cheesy wink cheesy

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by iskalamong(m): 4:12pm On Feb 21, 2021
He expressed delight that the privatisation of public assets which he once championed and was scorned for by the All Progressives Congress-led administration is now being embraced by the same administration.
Lol. Talk about hypocrisy in governance and politics.
The candidates tell the people what they (the people) want to hear. If they are elected, they (the elected government) do what they want even if it's different from their campaign promises. Sadly, that's how things work in this part of the world.

On a flip side, Atiku's intention/reason for the privatisation cannot be fully ascertained as one cannot rule out selfishness/ greed being his reason knowing the calibres of politicians we have in the country.

He said: “For decades, I have championed the privatisation of our economy and full deregulation of our oil and gas sector, amongst other sectors, for greater service delivery and efficiency.
Yes, privatisation is a step in the right direction if done properly. This is because the average civil servant sees civil service as a less stressful job and access to the national cake which leads to less poor work ethics, mismanagement e.t.c reducing productivity and innovation.
Privatisation, if rightly done, will help correct these excesses. The major benefits being employment of competent staffs, increased productivity and proper management.

Despite these pros, I have doubts which are as follows:
1. Will they be sold at the right price (value)?
2. Will they be sold to the right person/firm?
3. Will it result in the optimal management of the corporations?
4. Productivity may remain the same thanks to the incompetent, corrupt and selfish set of leaders we have in this country.

In all, I hope the privatisation works out well. This country is falling apart (especially our economy), we need all the miracles we can get.

Iskalamong!
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by slivertongue: 4:15pm On Feb 21, 2021
well said
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by bash8936: 4:20pm On Feb 21, 2021
Just kuku say u want to buy The whole Nigeria is not a bad thing. Just give me 5m my own share.
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Springboot: 4:21pm On Feb 21, 2021
Atiku, nepa that you sold to yourself, what have we benefitted from it?
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Wasky101: 4:21pm On Feb 21, 2021
Nice one, so u can buy it strip it off all its assets and hand over Skelton and liability to private investors who will kill Nigerians with the burden to break even.
Don't worry The General will not allow that.
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by edoairways: 4:22pm On Feb 21, 2021
festacman:
If Atiku Abubakar is driven by love for Nigerian rather than by power-hunt for self-enrichment, let him use his political influence to galvanize his atikulated fan base and indeed all the youths of this country to vote a bright cerebral and politically experienced young chap as president. This will kickstart the much needed New Political Order paradigm shift away from the existing Political Order or it it DISORDER that came into existence in the post-military 1999.

Young and cerebral because of brain work and physical tasks that are involved. Political experienced because a greenhorn will be a bull in china shop. Young age is important because already-made big men in power sees themselves as "constituted authority" to be waited on rather than hand-in-the-mud public servants.

Doing this needs sacrifice but will Atiku Abubakar make this sacrifice? I bet if he does, he will be forever remembered and celebrated as one of architect of mordern Nigeria Democracy.

Unfortunately, I am sure as at the moment, young people who are social media influencers are already being recruited and retained for another round of ATIKULATED ONSLAUGHT.
Unfortunately if he does what you see, we are back to God fatherism

1 Like

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by ofiko123(m): 4:25pm On Feb 21, 2021
I doubt if it's in the destiny of Atiku abubakar to become president...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 21, 2021
I was happy when I saw this on BBC HAUSA page on Facebook

almost all commentators replied with apology to Atiku and condemned Buhari
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by babakb: 4:30pm On Feb 21, 2021
festacman:

Why didn't you ask Buhari not to run in 2019, Buhari running for presidency in 2019 only gave Atiku and his contemporaries hope of Presidency...
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by festacman(m): 4:32pm On Feb 21, 2021
edoairways:

Unfortunately if he does what you see, we are back to God fatherism

Every good leader, as a team leader rather than henchman, whether at national or state has key state men supporters he consults and who leverage their experience to give counsel. Any politician without 'regulatory authority' like Rochas Okorocha when he was governor or even Buhari as president, will have excesses and falter a lot.
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by festacman(m): 4:38pm On Feb 21, 2021
babakb:

Why didn't you ask Buhari not to run in 2019, Buhari running for presidency in 2019 only gave Atiku and his contemporaries hope of Presidency...

Getting Nigeria out of stranglehold of PDP was critical at 2015 and making sure they don't come back was also critical in 2019. In 2023, it is critical to talk about a new political order. Atiku can help in making this happen.
Re: Atiku Supports Proposed Privatisation Of Refineries, Assets by Blackdisciple(m): 4:45pm On Feb 21, 2021
The NEPA wey Una do na useless cos I no see light, and you want the government to privatise refinerise , are we still having a working refinary ??

(1) (2) (Reply)

There Is No 'new Video' On Abba Kyari: Leadership Newspaper Retracts / Buhari Inherited N600bn Oil Marketers’ Debt, Says FG / Imo Attack: Such Attitude Can Lead To Insurgency, Says Lawan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.