Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,736 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

How I Chose The Wrong Job - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Chose The Wrong Job (32675 Views)

Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It / Compliment Gone Wrong - Job Seeker Told The Interviewer 'you Smell Nice,' / Between Total And Agip Chose D Best For A Brother! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Funkybabee(f): 8:42pm On Feb 21, 2021
so sorry, the best is yet to come
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by mogboyelade(f): 8:45pm On Feb 21, 2021
wunmi590:
I just want a lot of people to learn from my experience look before you leap.

I got 3 employment letter last year, and to resume the same day. Two on the mainland and one on the island.

One of the two on the mainland has a better salary than the other two, so I went for the better salary, as an upcoming father.

But believe me I didn’t know that they were only using money to entice people and then tell them to leave at their own time.

I received the shocking of my life when I opened my mail on Thursday to do a handover to a colleague on Friday last week.

I couldn’t cry, but I just had to hold back my tears and I brought out my phone and looked at my 2month old baby and moved on.

My advice, please don’t be in a rush to chose a job or switch that job and lastly always be prayerful that God should direct your path.

That was how I lost the 3 jobs
this is what happened to someone close to me last year. same thing will still happen to you very soon but this time ard, choose wisely.

1 Like

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2021
I feel for you. Don't worry, you'll get something better by God's grace. Meanwhile, if you've a side hustle, just keep at it fervently for now so you can take proper care of your sweet baby. EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE FINE SOMEWAY, SOMEHOW.

1 Like

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by realtalk19: 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2021
pocohantas:

Sorry about what happened. I do see your posts and you are quite an optimistic and calm man. Congrats on your upcoming fatherhood and better jobs ahead.

They won’t sack you, but the things you’ll see ehn? E go big pass your eyes.

Any organization that has a high staff turnover rate is most likely a bad one. Except it is KPMG. lipsrsealed
Very true
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by lilioj: 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2021
But Op didn't they give you a reason for the termination? So you'll really know if it's about you or the company, I remember back then in my office we opened a fast food restaurant and we were looking for a manager, one of the applicants was a smooth talker gosh my boss was so impressed with the interview he even increased the proposed salary by 20% much to the chagrin of I and my colleague as we had been asking for a salary raise but he kept posting us.
Fast forward to when he got the job it was a totally different thing we saw, my boss was so disappointed he considered contacting his former office to find out why he left, he couldn't perform all the sugar talks he said at the interview, 2 months later he got sacked I felt sad on his behalf but it was necessary.

3 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by wunmi590(m): 9:02pm On Feb 21, 2021
mogboyelade:
this is what happened to someone close to me last year. same thing will still happen to you very soon but this time ard, choose wisely.

Thank you for your word of encouragement
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 21, 2021
You spoke about everything but the reason you were sacked. Hmmm... you are withholding vital information. Perhaps, you didn't deliver on all you promised ?

1 Like

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 21, 2021
Adebaba1:
I can relate bro, really sorry God will make a way

I left my previous job earlier this year to a new startup, the reason I left was because my previous workplace wasn't structured, it was a one man business, closed late most times 10pm, I stay at egbeda and work on the island, pay less than 100k, I already worked for 2years...I was really fed up that's why I left

I was excited to join the company, but it turned out to be a bad decision, in my previous office, we were working with a non familiar language, but I was learning java at the side, my new job was based on java so I was excited to join because I will gain more knowledge on the language and come in as an intern.

I didn't know I was to replace the java developer that was there. To cut the long story short, I was asked to leave the second week. It was really sad for me.

I had to talk some people to speak to my former boss about returning back. I actually didn't want to return but my parents asked me to.

Now I'm stuck till probably next year

Life is just a mystery
You should have mentioned it to them you are still learning java instead of giving them the impression you were good at it. You went chasing waterfalls when you should have stuck to the rivers and lakes you were used to "Now omi ti gbeyin wo express"
I think that's one thing you and the op has in common
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by walexbiz(m): 9:40pm On Feb 21, 2021
Pls can you give us the name of the company so that intending job seeker dont fall victim of such company.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2021
I've been here twice. And it's very difficult to know enough about the company's culture until you get in.

But you know what? Never agree to resume immediately, especially when you have to resign form your current job, or you have other offers to consider.

No matter what, ask for a minimum of two weeks' even if you're not currently employed.

Use the time before assuming your new role to carry out a background check into the company.

Visit their website, check them out on LinkedIn and all their employees who have a profile... size them up.. check the length of time each of those employees have stayed in the company. It's also okay to reach out to a current employee and ask them questions about the company.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Adebaba1(m): 9:55pm On Feb 21, 2021
TheManhattan:

You should have mentioned it to them you are still learning java instead of giving them the impression you were good at it. You went chasing waterfalls when you should have stuck to the rivers and lakes you were used to "Now omi ti gbeyin wo express"
I think that's one thing you and the op has in common
I actually told them that I was learning and they agreed
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2021
Ikjosh04:
What's worth doing is worth doing well, I don't think it's out of place to state the name of the company and what they're into, that treated you in such manner.

It's unethical and the populace need to be aware and avoid such organizations.

Exactly what I've been saying.

We cover up bad practices too much. If companies knew their reputation would be at stake, they'll do better.

More people need to give plain unhdden reviews about companies and their experiences while gehy worked there.

2 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:04pm On Feb 21, 2021
wunmi590:

Thank you very much bros, I will next time

I hope this company isn't Se******d.
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by IamAsiri: 10:13pm On Feb 21, 2021
Abudu2000:
you nailed it. That's what happened to the op and he's making us think th company is bad. Some company are a lil patient to bring u up to speed, he even had a 2weeks grace, he must be very terrible at his job coz u can't tell me within 3weeks he suddenly developed one hater that played a political move on him.

Uncle were you there? Imagine using "that's what happened...". What happened to the word "probably"? The fact that you think you are in a better position does not give you the right to look down on others or think that they are not as good as you. As far as the OP is concerned, he may even be better than you are.

It's not nice to speak that way about others, even if/when you feel they are not good enough. Learn compassion.

9 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Mac2016(m): 10:39pm On Feb 21, 2021
wunmi590:
I just want a lot of people to learn from my experience look before you leap.

I got 3 employment letter last year, and to resume the same day. Two on the mainland and one on the island.

One of the two on the mainland has a better salary than the other two, so I went for the better salary, as an upcoming father.

But believe me I didn’t know that they were only using money to entice people and then tell them to leave at their own time.

I received the shocking of my life when I opened my mail on Thursday to do a handover to a colleague on Friday last week.

I couldn’t cry, but I just had to hold back my tears and I brought out my phone and looked at my 2month old baby and moved on.

My advice, please don’t be in a rush to chose a job or switch that job and lastly always be prayerful that God should direct your path.

That was how I lost the 3 jobs
Give us more detail/major things that happened during the job. You may get needed help. A lawyer or human right might help. Why shd they sack you with immediate effect and within few months of resumption?Was a gross misconduct on your own part?
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Abudu2000(m): 11:11pm On Feb 21, 2021
IamAsiri:

Uncle were you there? Imagine using "that's what happened...". What happened to the word "probably"? The fact that you think you are in a better position does not give you the right to look down on others or think that they are not as good as you. As far as the OP is concerned, he may even be better than you are.

It's not nice to speak that way about others, even if/when you feel they are not good enough. Learn compassion.
seems you have a problem with understanding write ups and I can't help u coz some problems are better left un confronted.
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Baselm: 11:14pm On Feb 21, 2021
wunmi590:

Thank you bro for the word of encouragement.

I actually saw the sign the 5th week I entered, but there’s little or nothing I could do, as I have sent mail to the other two that I have gotten a job.

I really appreciate your prayers

How long have you been there? You can still send a mail to the other companies informing them of your availability for the job. You lose nothing by trying, even if it doesn't work

1 Like

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Focusmind: 12:14am On Feb 22, 2021
OP is withholding certain information. I am not harsh and insensitive but note that there are companies that are very impatient with new hires, especially if you promised heaven and earth during the interview and your actual performance is below par.

Companies could only give you time to grow if hired as a trainee, graduate or management trainee. But if you come in as an experienced hire, note that the expectations would be high and you need to up your game.

As a new and experienced hire in any organisation, never relax, create the first good impression and continue to show where you have added value from what you met on ground.

OP, ask them why you were sacked. I am sure it may not be far from job performance or adaptation related issues.

2 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by IamAsiri: 2:10am On Feb 22, 2021
Abudu2000:
seems you have a problem with understanding write ups and I can't help u coz some problems are better left un confronted.

Funny you. Me? Have problem with understanding write-ups? I knew you would definitely attack, because that seems like your kind of person (note that I didn't use "that's your kind of person" which was what I was trying to correct you on). I wanted to "reply" you at the onset of my typing of this message but won't stoop low.

You can take correction and move on. We learn everyday.

P.S: By the way,always start your statements with a capital letter and it's "unconfronted". cool

2 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Klass99(f): 4:34am On Feb 22, 2021
smiley

4 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Abudu2000(m): 5:26am On Feb 22, 2021
IamAsiri:

Funny you. Me? Have problem with understanding write-ups? I knew you would definitely attack, because that seems like your kind of person (note that I didn't use "that's your kind of person" which was what I was trying to correct you on). I wanted to "reply" you at the onset of my typing of this message but won't stoop low.

You can take correction and move on. We learn everyday.

P.S: By the way,always start your statements with a capital letter and it's "unconfronted". cool
see how smart i am, I created that bait purpose and like a mot u came right to the flame. Other parts of the world study to acquire the knowledge so as to make the world a better place but Nigerians study to prove their families wrong and to intimidate others by pointing out the wrong punctuations. I spend more of my time on foreign discussion threads and whenever a Nigerian comment it is always so obvious and different. That negativity is what u can take from us. Bye!!
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Akanimoh113(m): 6:57am On Feb 22, 2021
Akanimoh113:
Guys Please Help me Out
Am Using a Lumia 640LTE
I Need a New Phone
Am A Student and I Really Need It

Please Help Me

Akanimoh113:
[size=8pt][/size]

Am Using a Windows Phone, Lumia 640LTE, That's Has an 8GB ROM and 1GB RAM
-Camera is Faulty
-Does not do Social Media
-Recently Stopped Doing Twitter
-Only Uses Browser
-Can not Access Android Apps
-Does not Use Xender
-Only Uses Bluetooth
-Can Receive Videos but cannot Send Back Videos
-Recently Stopped Downloading Videos and Music
-Cannot Download External Apps
-Cannot Check Emails through Browser unless is the Installed App
-Installed App Cannot View more than 20 Emails that has been sent to you.
-It has a Removable Battery
-Original Battery Got Spoilt
-The Battery I bought does not Charge More Than 81%, When it Gets to 35% and you On Data... The Phone Will Off, If you play Music with Volume more than Vol 10-15... It will Off, If you Play Music with Volume of Vol 3-5... It will last till 4% before it finally Shuts Down.
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by wunmi590(m): 7:41am On Feb 22, 2021
Klass99:
@ wunmi590, I don't understand your story can you provide clarity?

Were you asked to resign or did you leave on your own? What do you mean by, they tell them to leave at their own time? Whose time? Yours or the company's? What exactly happened at this company and how long were you there?

You made the decision you thought was best for you and it's perfectly okay to go for more money, because our whole lives revolve around the making, spending and saving of money.

Plus you have bills to pay and children are expensive, don't beat yourself up about it, you had no way of knowing what that company was like. You will bounce back from this.

Pls follow Hansel @hannytalker on Twitter for work opportunities.

There's no job security, that's what I meant.

You can be told to leave at their own wish without doing anything.

I was told told that my service is no longer needed.

Thank you, I'm already following @hannytalker

1 Like

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by wunmi590(m): 7:42am On Feb 22, 2021
Baselm:

How long have you been there? You can still send a mail to the other companies informing them of your availability for the job. You lose nothing by trying, even if it doesn't work

Thank you, I will do that this morning.

I worked there for 4 month
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by wunmi590(m): 7:44am On Feb 22, 2021
Mac2016:

Give us more detail/major things that happened during the job. You may get needed help. A lawyer or human right might help. Why shd they sack you with immediate effect and within few months of resumption?Was a gross misconduct on your own part?

Me gross misconduct, I'm far from that, if it has been a bad situation like stealing and doing shady things, I wouldn't have even come up here.

I guess the company doesn't need me anymore and they feel I should leave.
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by wunmi590(m): 7:45am On Feb 22, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

I hope this company isn't Se******d.

No madam
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by sisqology(m): 8:18am On Feb 22, 2021
I think you should post the company name so people will beware of them
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by munachiomaso(m): 8:28am On Feb 22, 2021
I left a state government Univ as an assistant lecturer 2 to take up a job as a senior lecturer in a private university. The pay was x3 of my salary....besides I jumped 6yrs of normal promotion. 2years after, I was retrenched amongst 100 others. They said "technology replaced us"....Lol....We all knew their was no money due to the pandemic and the student enrolment in the Bowen University was nothing to write home about. The school was only trying to save face....

I felt like dying. My 3rd baby had just been born. I started regretting leaving a stable place. For the 1st time, I saw tears fall from my wife's eyes....we made a mistake of investing all the money coming into a house we were building in Ibadan without knowing the sack would happen...big mistake

Those tears inspired me....8months later, I got another job, same position same salary.....2 months after I got another job in Abuja that will be x3 of my current salary....

Decision decision all over again.....
Since the two University are private schools, I had to choose the highest paying one...if i need to eat frog, i should just make sure its fattened atleast......Now, I have learnt that I should never invest more than 50% of my savings....emergency fund should always be untouched.

2days ago, another offer came...but the pay is lesser so am staying put here...

Keep your head up bro....and pray to God for direction...things will take shape. Now my family have forgotten months of uncertainty.

8 Likes

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by IamAsiri: 9:05am On Feb 22, 2021
Abudu2000:
see how smart i am, I created that bait purpose and like a mot u came right to the flame. Other parts of the world study to acquire the knowledge so as to make the world a better place but Nigerians study to prove their families wrong and to intimidate others by pointing out the wrong punctuations. I spend more of my time on foreign discussion threads and whenever a Nigerian comment it is always so obvious and different. That negativity is what u can take from us. Bye!!

Lol grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Nehyooh(m): 9:36am On Feb 22, 2021
Take heart bro, better and stable offer is coming soonest !
Re: How I Chose The Wrong Job by Laideabdulahi: 10:10am On Feb 22, 2021
OP, I Don't know what is hard or bad if you tell us the name of the company.

You are still hoarding the name so some others will fall victim.

Pls state d company's name and location.
It will help the rest go a long way in making choices

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Recruitment Information / Dragnet/mtn 2017: Invite For Simulation Assessment Test / I Got This Interview I Never Applied, Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.