Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,522 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:08 PM

We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders (28131 Views)

Sunday Igboho Won’t Return To Nigeria Until Buhari Leaves Office – Lawyer / Buratai: I Won’t Return To Abuja Until Boko Haram Is Defeated / Won’t Return To Aso Rock If I Lose On Saturday – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Islie: 9:32am On Feb 22, 2021
Blame foreign herders for killings, kidnappings, other atrocities

Fresh facts have emerged on the swirling controversy over the instruction given by Northern Elders Forum, NEF, to Fulani herdsmen in parts of Southern Nigeria, to return to the North, on account of the quit notice allegedly given to them.

The Ondo State government had first ordered the herdsmen to leave its forest reserves and this was followed by Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho, who allegedly sacked the Sarkin Fulani in Oyo State. Since the quit notices and NEF directives were issued, high level consultations at governorship level have been ongoing to resolve the crisis occasioned by these socio-political developments. The NEF had even urged governors of the northern states to prepare to receive law abiding herders who want to return to the North.

However, the body of Sarkin Fulani (heads of Fulani communities in parts of the Southern Nigeria), who are at the centre of the controversy, have stridently said they were aware of the “Return-to-the-North” directive issued by the NEF, arguing that it was never communicated to them.
In interviews with Sunday Sun correspondents, the various Sarkins Fulani expressed their views on the NEF directive.

IMO

Northerners in Imo State have declared that they did not get any return-to-North notice, stressing that even if such directive was given, they have no plans to leave the state. Senior Special Assistant to Imo State governor, Suleiman Ibrahim, who spoke with Sunday Sun added that Imo has never been detrimental to them, maintaining that his people had sworn never to leave the state.

Ibrahim said: “We never received any notice from anybody to quit from the state. Why should we leave, we are in Nigeria, where are we going to? We shall continue to live in peace with our hosts. We don’t have any issues with the people here, they love us and we love them; I thank Almighty Allah for bringing us to Imo, there is no home like Imo.”

OGUN

In Ogun State, the Sarkin-Fulani, Muhammad Kabir Labar, said that his office never received any directive from the Northern Elders Forum, to leave Ogun and move their cattle up North. He expressed serious concerns over the clashes between farmers and herders in the state, which had claimed lives on both sides, while cattle and farms had been destroyed.

Labar explained that of all the Southwest states, Ogun State remains the best location to carry out cattle rearing business. He blamed foreign herders for the killings, maiming, arson and wanton destruction that have occurred recently. The Sarkin Fulani commended the Ogun State governor, Dapo Abiodun, for his timely intervention, noting that move by the governor prevented the recent crisis in Yewa North Local Government Area of the state from escalating and snowballing into a conflagration.

The governor’s prompt intervention in the crisis, he said, doused the tension that had been rising on both sides and saved lives.

“Killings, no matter the circumstance, are detestable and can never be the solution to the issues at hand; we do not have to further aggravate the already tense situation by pandering to ethnic sentiments,” he added.

Labar said that various ethnic nationalities had been living as one in Ogun State for centuries with mutual respect for one another, noting that things would continue in that manner, as agreed at the stakeholders’ parley organised by the Ogun State government, to find lasting solution to the incessant herders/farmers clashes.

While harping on the need to be wary of mischief makers trying to reap from the mindless cycle of bloodletting by fabricating casualty figures and losses on both sides, Labar said that efforts would be doubled to strengthen unity between herdsmen and the host communities in Ogun State.

“I call on the people and the media to exercise restraint in what is said and reported on the crisis as the state government and the security services have demonstrated unwavering commitment to the safety of our lives and property.

“Already, we have seen the deployment of patrol vehicles, armed personnel and the political will of the governor to bring the situation under control. We thank him for his sincerity and commitment to restore peace,” Labar said.

He further noted that a conflict resolution mechanism would be put in place by his office, to ensure timely settlement of issues before they degenerate into situations capable of leading to a skirmish.

ANAMBRA

In Anambra State, Chairman, South East Zone of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Alhaji Gidado Siddiki, told Sunday Sun that his people, the Fulani herdsmen, have been living peacefully with the people of Southeast.

He said that there has not been any formal communication from the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) or any other relevant authority from the North asking herdsmen to return to the North.
His words: “The challenges our people are having in Southern Nigeria prompted the call or suggestion by the Northern Elders Forum.

However, nobody has informed me officially. Nobody is planning to go back to the North unless we are forced to go. The only thing that will make them to go is if they feel unprotected. If there is protection, why should they go? But if there is no protection they will have no other option than to go.”

Asked if he was making any effort to ensure that there is peaceful coexistence between the herders and their host communities in the Southeast, he said: “There is cordiality between my members and our hosts. Some of these things that are happening, I don’t know their origin. But I don’t think it is from the good people of the Southeast. I don’t know what prompted these challenges we are facing in Southern Nigeria because what I know is that we have cordiality with the people of the Southeast.

“We always partner with some groups in the Southeast to broker peace. So, I don’t know why this thing is happening. But what I know is that it is just a trial and it will come to an end.”
On how he intends to settle disputes between herdsmen and farmers in the future, he said: “Whenever farmlands are destroyed by Fulani herdsmen, we go there and assess the level of damage and then pay the owner of the farm. It is the same thing when a cow gets killed. The leaders of the community facilitate the payment for the cow.”

DELTA

On their part, members of the Hausa/Fulani community in Delta State have insisted that they have no intention of leaving the state owing to what they described as a very robust harmonious relationship with their respective host communities across the state.

Spokesman of the Hausa/Fulani community in the state, Alhaji Muktar Usman, told Sunday Sun in Asaba that they were not making plans to return to their states of origin in the foreseeable future.

Usman who is an influential figure in the community said that such appeal by NEF to northern governors was not meant for Hausa/Fulani residents in Delta State. He said the peculiar problem which led to such appeal, in the first instance, was not being experienced in the oil rich Delta State.

According to him, there is no official correspondence from the North, calling on them to return home.

“As you can see, we don’t have that problem in Delta State. So that appeal is not for us here in Delta because we have a very cordial relationship with our host communities,” Usman said.
He explained that there was an existing mechanism to douse tension and deal with any possible security challenge.

“We have zonal LGA and senatorial security meetings were issues are promptly addressed to the satisfaction of all. We liaise with the security agencies to promptly address matters that may come up, reported and referred to the appropriate quarters for actions to be taken,” Usman added.

Besides, he said that members of the Hausa/Fulani community in the state were in constant dialogue with traditional rulers and opinion leaders of their host communities on how to sustain harmony and ensure peaceful co-existence.

EKITI

When he spoke to Sunday Sun on the issue of the NEF directive, the Chairman, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, Ekiti State chapter, Alhaji Mohammed Nasamu, said: “There was no formal communication to them to return to the North. No Fulani herder in Ekiti is ready to return to the North because Fulani people are Nigerians, the people from the Southwest are also Nigerians, we are not from another country.”

On how they (Fulani) intend to maintain harmony with their host communities, the chairman said: “Insha Allah, we will ensure that peace reigns. Fulani herders in Ekiti State are peaceful people, and the governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has an open heart to all and has always taken all residents as one, irrespective of tribe, whether Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani, Ebira, Ijaw, Edo, Efik and others, the governor has always taken everyone as one.

I have always spoken to my people on peaceful coexistence and I will continue to do so. We will ensure oneness with all the people in Ekiti State.
“We will hold a meeting with herders in Ekiti State and we will remind them not to engage in anything bad. We will tell every Fulani herder in all the local governments in the state to register. They are going to register with their traditional rulers and any town without an Oba will definitely have a Baale (Chief) or Regent. They will register there.”

On how to settle herders disputes in future, the chairman said: “I pray God will never allow fight in Ekiti State. We will ensure no Fulani herder foments trouble.”

On the sensitive issue of Fulani herders carrying guns while grazing, Nasamu said: “I have personally not seen any Fulani herder carry guns while grazing.”

KOGI

The Kogi State chapter, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), has said herders in the state are not affected by the relocation advice given to some of its members living in Southern parts of the country.

Worried by the rising conflicts between herders and farmers, the Northern Elders Forum had asked northern state governors to prepare to receive law abiding herders who want to return back to the North.

The Assistant Secretary of MACBAN in the state, Abubakar Adamu, who spoke with our correspondent, said that the herders in Kogi State are living peacefully with their host communities and are therefore not affected by the order.

He said the herders affected are those living in the South-south, Southeast and the Southwest where there are recurring clashes between herders and farmers.

While commending the Northern Elders Forum for taking the initiative, he said that his members in the state will always embrace peace and live in harmony with their host communities.
Adamu also praised the state governor, Yahaya Bello, for his efforts in ensuring security of lives and property in the state.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/fulani-herdsmen-in-south-to-northern-elders-we-wont-return-to-north/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by ShackWes(f): 9:33am On Feb 22, 2021
Wahala be like fulani

16 Likes

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by TANID(m): 9:38am On Feb 22, 2021
ShackWes:
Wahala be like fulani
easy to enter your state but hard to live with

102 Likes 8 Shares

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Fahdiga(m): 9:45am On Feb 22, 2021
You must return whether you like it or not. you must leave the south

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Monogamy: 9:47am On Feb 22, 2021
If you people are ready to abide by the law of Any part in Southern Nigeria, you are free to stay.

There are millions of Southerners residing in most northern states and to my best of understanding, they have not been misbehaving like the way you people behave down in south.

Even your so called Sharia laws are well respected by Southerners hence not being culprits.

Respect is reciprocal, your people can't be destroying farms and killing farmers just because your cows want to graze.

Herdsmen arranging their own personal ranching is the feasible solution to stop the unnecessary fracas. If herding business is not profitable for them to arrange their own ranching, then they better go and look for new job cos the unnecessary killings won't be tolerated anymore

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Blitz888(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2021
Those who are undertaking genuine and legitimate venture within the stipulated laws of the land should remain... However, they must purge themselves of bad eggs who today have given them a bad name.

We must respect the right of every Nigerian to live in any part of the Nation.

4 Likes

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by vincentjk(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2021
Please fulanis and northerners are two different people o. Mohammed and aliyu my hausa coursemates running same programme with me have no problem at all.

Babangida my very good friend calls to hear from me and visits me often and I do same for him.

Even the hausas will tell you how bad a typical fulani'n daji is if they trust to share information with you, they know all these but sadly, their hands are tied and they can do nothing because it's too late already.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by inoki247: 11:36am On Feb 22, 2021
Well no be all tenant dey easy to evacuate for person house.... Nothing wey Landlord no go see for Nigeria...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 22, 2021
Is there anyone still doubting the expansionist agenda of the fulanis ?

Is there anyone still doubting ?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by BruncleZuma: 11:37am On Feb 22, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by BF69BF: 11:37am On Feb 22, 2021
I guess they're ready to die. ESN, over to you.

Na the Yoruba people I dey feel for, nobody to protect them. One Nigeria my foot.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by nextBIGthing: 11:37am On Feb 22, 2021
Buhari again !!!

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by bolaayenimo: 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
I like that. Ignore those old, stupid elders. Stay in the South but remain peaceful and respect your hosts
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by nanauju(f): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
Wahala be like bicycle cheesy
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by slawormiir: 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by backnbeta(f): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
You naturally are impossible to live with; you can't abide by the rules of the land. Pay attention when people react with anger and hostility to your boundaries; you have reached the edge where their respect for you ends undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by osuofia2(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
NO GOING ANYWHERE, ALL LAND S BELONGS TO GOD. MISCREANTS LIKE SUNDAY IGBOHO AND NNAMDI KANU THINK THEY CAN WAKE UP ONE DAY AND START GIVEN PEACEFUL FULANI HERDERS QUIT NOTICE.
I THINK IT IS HIGH TIME BABA BUHARI PROFILE THOSE TWO (SUNDAY AND KANU) TERRORISTS.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by janedonez(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
Lol
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by lordcabasa(m): 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
The Average Northerner in his ignorance and delusion thinks without the North, the South can't survive because of their miserable beef meat and a few precious groceries they produce. Yet they won't leave the South even when their very existence is threatened.

In their arrogance, they Fail to understand that Nigeria is not even part of the top 20 cattle processing countries in the world. Brazil, Argentina and Germany each have far more cattles and export more cattle products than Miyetti Allah Can ever dream Of harnessing in their lifetime, yet their are no freely roaming cattle in the streets of those countries.

In essence, If Nigeria can import Petroleum products from China that do not have crude oil, is it beef that we cannot import? While it is True that we complement each other, it is a great delusion to believe one can't do without the other. A union devoid of mutual respect and Trust is a disaster waiting to happen.

Northerners must forget that they have the privilege of leading the unevenly skewered levers of power in Abuja and learn to respect the Norms of the South, just as the South have learned to respect the Sharia Ethos of the North. Without this, Its only a matter of time before we return to the trenches of 1967.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by AroleOduduwa2: 11:38am On Feb 22, 2021
How will they return when Makinde and Abiodun keep paying them compensations for killing the people they are meant to protect.

9 Likes

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by MansoryMX(m): 11:39am On Feb 22, 2021
Monogamy:
If you people are ready to abide by the law of Any part in Southern Nigeria, you are free to stay.

There are millions of Southerners residing in most northern states and to my best of understanding, they have not been misbehaving like the way you people behave down in south.

Even your so called Sharia laws are well respected by Southerners hence not being culprits.

Respect is reciprocal, your people can't be destroying farms and killing farmers just because your cows want to graze.

Herdsmen arranging their own personal ranching is the feasible solution to stop the unnecessary fracas. If herding business is not profitable for them to arrange their own ranching, then they better go and look for new job cos the unnecessary killings won't be tolerated anymore

People who have been taught since childbirth that conquering South is their birthright na you want to abide by laws? Which law? Laws they keep on breaking day in day out. The only solution is for them to leave South for good!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by youngeagle(m): 11:40am On Feb 22, 2021
God knows that this music that is playing, I like the sound, maybe when it's done our brain will stabilize

1 Like

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by ipobarethieves: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2021
angry BAZTARDZ angry.
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Broken2020: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2021
As you don’t want to return to the North, be law abiding else you will be treated like the criminals you are
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Deathisfree: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2021
Problem no fit finish

Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Ufysje: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2021
Then get ready to face the music
Re: We Won’t Return To North - Fulani Herdsmen In South To Northern Elders by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2021
Foreign herders be like let's go fishing in Nigeria. They have big fish & their govt likes paying ransom

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stop Wishing Nigeria Fails Because Your Candidate Is Not President – Laycon / Fayose And Wike Off To Anambra For PDP Governorship Primary Elections (Photos) / President Buhari Appoints Suleiman Abba, Chairman Police Trust Fund BOT, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.