Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,022 members, 7,803,437 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators (22969 Views)

Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery / CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" / Crypto Dilemma: Banking Public, Regulators Differ On Cryptocurrencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by GeneralPula: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2021
Billyonaire666:
Makes no sense.

If you invest $100K on bitcoin as a store of value, you will expect it to double in value within a very short period of time, as a smart investor, you should withdraw the $100K in 3 digits batches and have just your profit sitting there to the moon.

The crypto future guarantees enjoyable future without work.

Just invest in future tech IPOs and ICOs and sit back and read books and watch movies and 'eat' from your money working in the hands of tech engineers and their technologies.

Savvy?

This is the future that your dull Federal Government is too ignorant to foresee.

Gov knows this.. They’re not daft and it was one of the reasons they’re avoiding btc market by all means.

Should 80% of citizens venture into bitcoin... Banks are in super problem !

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by kingLebron: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2021
Any thing can be used for illegal purposes, it depends on the intent. Isn't cash used for illegal purposes?

4 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:
And when CBN said the same thing in Nigeria people thought it was out of ignorance.

Many people even drag Osinbajo...abeg is he the CBN governor or the President?

Nigerians.

so is the government that thinks for you?

2 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Vlibray: 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2021
Monogamy:
It's already $45k.

If you have bitcoin, you better sell now cos the price will still come down further

You sure ?
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Vlibray: 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2021
They hate what they don’t understand

3 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Ghostmode2two(m): 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:
And when CBN said the same thing in Nigeria people thought it was out of ignorance.

Nigerians.
Bitcoin can be used for illegal deals so is also the legal tender called naira. Anything money can be used in an illegal means just that the outright ban in Nigeria is what people are against

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Otunbaigwe(m): 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2021
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by arukwe123(m): 12:28pm On Feb 25, 2021
Cry today, cry tomorrow, cry everyday Bitcoin will still trade. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Femeto: 12:30pm On Feb 25, 2021
Like they don't use regular bank accounts for Fraud. With Bitcoin I can even manage my money better, not save it in some banks that are using it for some investments.

2 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by loswhite(m): 12:33pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:

Nigerians.
So the US Dollars cannot be used for illicit purpose right? You guys are just mad ppl

5 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by nigeriagospel(m): 12:34pm On Feb 25, 2021
priceaction:

Lol, nothing like that. I hate them with passion especially those telegram nonsense. Many of them are looking for free money to thief.
Are you following the cryp..to thread here? if not, check some of my comments or posts and trace it to the thread.

If you are totally new in cry..pto.. trading, i will send you some youtube videos that can really help you fast and open your eyes to many things. If you are interested sha. You may send me a pm. It may be 70% of what you need and be careful of many of those groups and telegram links (they will soon arrive grin that may turn out to be scam.
bro please can we talk on WhatsApp my digit 0-8-10-2-5-8-0-4-6-3
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Urbannaira: 12:34pm On Feb 25, 2021
ONE QUESTION : WHAT / WHO DETERMINES THE VALUE OF A BITCOIN ?

2 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by kayjay69(m): 12:36pm On Feb 25, 2021
US dollars can be used for illegal purposes.
British pounds can be used for illegal purposes.

It is a means of exchange and you guys are just jittery because the US Dollar is the strength upon which the US economy relies on. Bitcoin is a threat to that and it is clearly why you will never accept it.

3 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by blaise26abj(m): 12:36pm On Feb 25, 2021
There is no currency or means of transaction that cannot be used for illegal purposes .

Digital money will eventually overtake traditional banking . The world wants a cashless society but don’t want to embrace cryptocurrency?

Sounds like traditional automakers’s initial reaction to electric cars . Now they are all aligning .
Same with oil giants , renewable energy is the future .

While I don’t dig cryptos, I believe it will morph into something much regulated and embraced globally . Just a matter of time

9 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by SeniorGee(m): 12:37pm On Feb 25, 2021
The governments of this world want to control every aspect of our lives, especially economically. If they can't they demonize it. Democracy is just a few people controlling many.
If you wise up, u are the enemy
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by bigtt76(f): 12:38pm On Feb 25, 2021
No lies in this and we all saw how its use fueled the endsars protest ...that was when I knew the CBN would definitely clamp down on it especially with 2023 elections around the corner. All those saying governments can shutdown cryptocurrencies now see clearly that without FIAT currency backing up cryptocurrencies, its as good as 'useless' in everyday use, but hey what do we know #WeMove!

TheRareGem1:

https://www.channelstv.com/2021/02/23/bitcoins-price-tumbles-after-us-regulator-says-it-can-be-used-for-illicit-purposes/
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Arewa12: 12:38pm On Feb 25, 2021
blaise26abj:
There is no currency or means of transaction that cannot be used for illegal purposes .

Digital money will eventually overtake traditional banking . The world wants a cashless society but don’t want to embrace cryptocurrency?

Sounds like traditional automakers’s initial reaction to electric cars . Now they are all aligning .
Same with oil giants , renewable energy is the future .

While I don’t dig cryptos, I believe it will morph into something much regulated and embraced globally . Just a matter of time

1000 gbosa for chai.... I like your reasoning..... Olofar
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Arewa12: 12:39pm On Feb 25, 2021
Any to suppress bitcoin, US regulator would definitely criticize because they can't control, its not like the usd dollar. I don't know why a lot of people are sleeping on this, this one the best soft or young asset you can buy.

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Miyachi: 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2021
Billyonaire666:
Makes no sense.

If you invest $100K on bitcoin as a store of value, you will expect it to double in value within a very short period of time, as a smart investor, you should withdraw the $100K in 3 digits batches and have just your profit sitting there to the moon.

The crypto future guarantees enjoyable future without work.

Just invest in future tech IPOs and ICOs and sit back and read books and watch movies and 'eat' from your money working in the hands of tech engineers and their technologies.

Savvy?

This is the future that your dull Federal Government is too ignorant to foresee.

I think "investing" in bitcoin is gambling. You should use the term "speculate".
Ask yourself what is the basis of worth that warrants the price it currently trades at -- what is it's intrinsic value?

Many are not as wise and methodical as you think, they end up losing everything because they are over-leveraged and greedy.

I think it more or less resembles a pyramid scheme in the current state that it is in. What happens when there is no longer new "investor" money coming in. I just don't get the craze for bitcoin and it might end in tears for many people.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Arewa12: 12:41pm On Feb 25, 2021
bigtt76:
No lies in this and we all saw how its use fueled the endsars protest ...that was when I knew the CBN would definitely clamp down on it especially with 2023 elections around the corner. All those saying governments can shutdown cryptocurrencies now see clearly that without FIAT currency backing up cryptocurrencies, its as good as 'useless' in everyday use, but hey what do we know #WeMove!

Definitely one as to pave way for the other.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by etrouble: 12:43pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:

Nigerians.

Only mentally unstable idiots drag Osinbajo whenever they run out of speech.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by 12inchess: 12:44pm On Feb 25, 2021
But people don't use dollar for illegal purposes? The US dollar has been the defacto currency for illegal oil bunkering in Nigeria and international drug trade.

Currency is currency and any currency can be used for illegal transactions. All those points are just mute. It's all about control. The fear is that maybe one day the world would move away from petrodollar to petrobitcoin.

3 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Miyachi: 12:45pm On Feb 25, 2021
GeneralPula:

Gov knows this.. They’re not daft and it was one of the reasons they’re avoiding btc market by all means.

No, banks are not in any problem. Bitcoin has terrible UX. Transaction charges are higher that what you would pay locally at your bank for transfers. Where it shines is in it's decentralization which makes it censorship-resistant -- nobody can block your account or stop you from sending money to anybody. The sad thing is not many people have use for that feature so Nigerian banks are safe, or would you keep your life's saving in BTC?

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by LikeAking: 12:46pm On Feb 25, 2021
The normal money can also be used to do evil.

Guys lets be reasonable.

No let deceivers deceive you.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by 12inchess: 12:48pm On Feb 25, 2021
bigtt76:

You don't need Fiat currency to back up any means of exchange. What you need is demand. There was a time when cowries was used as a means of exchange. What Fiat currency was backing that? As long as the means of exchange has value to majority of people, then it's viable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by cluewebhost(m): 12:53pm On Feb 25, 2021
Like the naira and dollar
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by juniorstar(m): 12:54pm On Feb 25, 2021
GeneralPula:

the exchangers become the banks cos you still need an intermediary
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Mohammedoba36: 12:54pm On Feb 25, 2021
GamalNasser:
Where are all the foolish Biden Supporters
what concerned ipob terrorist criminal with Biden supporters? You will continue wailing till further notice.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by crafteck(m): 12:55pm On Feb 25, 2021
Cash can be used too, bann cash
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by sanpipita(m): 12:58pm On Feb 25, 2021
Isn't money used for illegal purposes, what are these people saying
It's really hard to defend stupid policies

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by mykelly(m): 1:00pm On Feb 25, 2021
Having said that, did the US regulator ban it?
TheRareGem1:

Nigerians.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by SavageResponse(m): 1:02pm On Feb 25, 2021
Miyachi:
Truth is fiat currency can also be used for illicit purposes.

Also note that Bitcoin is not truly anonymous as blockchain transactions can be traced, they include IP and other metadata. With a little time and effort you can unmask both sender and receiver.
I think the main issue is censorship and control. The United States needs the Dollar to be de facto world currency for trade so that they can threaten and control other countries by means of sanctions, trade embargoes, etc.

They don't control bitcoin and it is a threat to their control and dominance in the international financial market.

Yes fiat can also be used for illicit purpose but it leaves a money trail...crypto is virtually untraceable because the effort and resources required to trace it is very massive

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FOREX: CBN Introduces New Rules, Naira Closes At 367/$ / How Can I Make Money Online With No Start Up Capital / 10 Ways To Avoid Excessive Spending

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.