Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,705 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family (48786 Views)

9-Year-Old Boy That Saved His 3-Year-Old Brother From Drowning In A Well (Video) / 9-Year-Old Boy Rescues His Brother From Well (Photos) / Lessons From Marrying From A Rich Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by openmine(m): 12:41am On Feb 26, 2021
pocohantas:
I don’t believe your story is a real one, but I agree with you that no normal human should take loans or exhaust their savings to have a wedding. No sensible woman should endorse such expenditure either. Having that in mind, I support you.
Believe it or not,these things happen!
I know of two scenarios like this...one decided to go ahead with the marriage and it crashed after a year while the other decided to end the preparations for the marriage like the OP's elder bro!

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by madridsta007(m): 12:43am On Feb 26, 2021
ogub:
Calling off the wedding shouldn't have been the first thing to do he could have met with his prospective in-laws and tell them what he can afford to spend for the wedding and hear what they have to say

When I see people fearful of taking big decisive decisions, I shake my head.
Seems like it is a Nigerian thing.

2 Likes

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by SeriouslySense(m): 12:50am On Feb 26, 2021
cheesy cheesy lol, amazing quote

Freestainworld:
The wedding is finally the talk of the town now that he has called off the wedding.
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Slynation(m): 12:51am On Feb 26, 2021
Michelle55:
You did the right thing bro.. Anyone expecting a plate of rice on my wedding day will wait till eternity because I ain't doing that shit.

If you want to celebrate with me, wait until after I've fought and conquered the stress, phases and struggles of my marriage with my husband by my side, then I will throw a big party for y'all( just come, eat and celebrate with us) I don't need anything from you undecided

Celebrate your post marriage and not your pre-wedding!!

If he ends up using his life savings to please the wife and her family, what will he use to feed her after the wedding? No be only talk of the town, na talk of the nation e go be undecided

Some people with unrealistic expectations sef yet they won't add a dime to make that dream a reality.. Mtcheew!
Better wife material, reason I have already recommended my cousin to you, by now, you both should have started chatting already....grin

2 Likes

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Exodora: 12:52am On Feb 26, 2021
And your brother is suppose to be called a man . A man that can't handle issues on his own untill a third party comes in .
A real man will walk straight to his in-laws and do the needful or better still speak with his partner to be and see how things walk out before calling off the wedding.
Hope he employs you as his P.A?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by SeriouslySense(m): 12:54am On Feb 26, 2021
cheesy cheesy Just make wedding simple, you don't need so much expense if you don't want to spend so much, you don't need to impress people with food and drinks, just make it simple. For me i hate burials, especially, no need for food and drinks, in burial, celebrate people, when they are alive and living, not when they are dead, Show love to those who are alive.

As for weddings, spend according to your discretion, food and drinks are not important for me, make sure, you have examined the costs of setting up the home, and things like solar panel for electricity, and examine other costs in the home, to make the home comfortable for your Wife etc. Also how to make your family independent with perhaps a business too.

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Slynation(m): 12:55am On Feb 26, 2021
ubola:
You are toxic. For inflicting pains on someone else's daughter may your generation receive a double portion. You had the chance of advising your indecisive brother to reduce the cost but you went ahead to poison his effeminate mind. Karma is surely waiting for you.
common run away from here.... Someone saved his bro and you are here talking rubbish!!

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by afrodoc2: 1:05am On Feb 26, 2021
100trillion:
My senior bro wedding was schedule for the 30th day of October 2021, his wife and her fams were on his heads, telling him to make sure the wedding is the talk of the town, that, he should rent a big hall and make sure food; drinks; meats; kola etc. are available.

So last night he told me, I asked if his wife contributed anything, he said "Monetary" No....that she said she'll bring ppl to cook food and handle things women are meant to handle.

I told my him: Snr bro, make marriage simple. Don't take loans for wedding, don't use all your savings on wedding just to please people. People come to eat, drink and leave you in povery. Manage what you have. If your wife can't help you to think straight, then she ain't wife worthy.
This afternoon, in my presence he called his in-laws and called off the wedding....thank God he has not complete the dowry.

Hope I was right?

Boss move. You just red-pilled your brother.

2 Likes

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by NovusHomo(m): 1:11am On Feb 26, 2021
100trillion:
My senior bro wedding was schedule for the 30th day of October 2021, his wife and her fams were on his heads, telling him to make sure the wedding is the talk of the town, that, he should rent a big hall and make sure food; drinks; meats; kola etc. are available.

So last night he told me, I asked if his wife contributed anything, he said "Monetary" No....that she said she'll bring ppl to cook food and handle things women are meant to handle.

I told my him: Snr bro, make marriage simple. Don't take loans for wedding, don't use all your savings on wedding just to please people. People come to eat, drink and leave you in povery. Manage what you have. If your wife can't help you to think straight, then she ain't wife worthy.
This afternoon, in my presence he called his in-laws and called off the wedding....thank God he has not complete the dowry.

Hope I was right?

I hereby seize the powers conferred on the COWMINDER of this failed state to award you the honor of GRAND COMMANDER OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC. Carry go, jor grin grin.

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Liposure: 1:13am On Feb 26, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

You don't even know the point.
How would you feel if you were in his shoes
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by wany(f): 1:33am On Feb 26, 2021
BRATISLAVA:
Another woman bashing thread.

How much are you people paid to create these stories? Do you really think women don't have terrible stories to tell about men on a daily basis? The technique is old.
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by stevups(m): 1:42am On Feb 26, 2021
100trillion:

Hope I was right?
But Oct is still far. You can make adjustment before that time. I planned my wedding in last Saturday of August, I got married in first week of November. I delebrately used canopy instead of hall. I used the money for hall to buy land. Don't be in haste to cancel. Please

4 Likes

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by karika2018: 1:46am On Feb 26, 2021
Righteousness2:
Thats a very Bold move from your Brother !
You did a Great Job by Pouring out the raw bitter truth to him. That was a Good one.

Your GOD Designed Partner will not be a burden to you
Your GOD Designed Partner will not run you into Debts for an event of Few hrs, when you have Forever ahead.

A Virtous Woman Knows that a Wedding is Just a day thing and would not throw her husband into unnecessary debts in the Name of impressing People.

Wisdom full your head

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by karika2018: 1:51am On Feb 26, 2021
Michelle55:
You did the right thing bro.. Anyone expecting a plate of rice on my wedding day will wait till eternity because I ain't doing that shit.

If you want to celebrate with me, wait until after I've fought and conquered the stress, phases and struggles of my marriage with my husband by my side, then I will throw a big party for y'all( just come, eat and celebrate with us) I don't need anything from you undecided

If he ends up using his life savings to please the wife and her family, what will he use to feed her after the wedding? No be only talk of the town, na talk of the nation e go be undecided

Some people with unrealistic expectations sef yet they won't add a dime to make that dream a reality.. Mtcheew!

you get wisdom
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Filmdirect: 2:23am On Feb 26, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

It's getting to become disgusting the longer it stays.

It will eventually lead to abuse and cruelty towards women, because they are subtly using it to influence how people see women.

When people mention women on this forum, the first thing they read is hoe, cheat, bitch, pussy, money, entitled, hypergamy and other untrue things. The way they revel in it is something else.

It will take years to end the bias created. And while it is on, everyday there are crimes committed against women that forum men turn a blind eye to. Eventually it will reach them one day.

Seun Osewa is running toxic site for money.

I believe we are looking at the result of rampant promiscuity. It goes like this: the first time someone uses someone sexually they feel a hint of guilt and shame. They push it off because their body and mind is weak and their craving is beyond their self control. They don't like what they have become and begin to despise the object of their desires.

With that any narrative to confirm their internal bias/self hate is latched on. To feel good they tell themselves it's all the woman's fault. They are hoes, money grabbers, selfish, greedy. The more they beat on the female gender the more they look noble, selfless, perfect. It never occurs to them that they are hoes along with the women, for sex takes two.

If there is greed, they feed it. In fact many of them will not choose a girl who doesn't wear expensive wigs, designer bags and clothes, or have salon fashioned nails. Why? Because the contrary does not look good in public or feed their ego amongst their peers. They don't see themselves as selfish, even after many of them though wishing for a woman who is perfect have in their lives cheated on a good woman.

Yes, it's very toxic the way men on this site bash women and i've noticed its getting worse. Well, let them continue to create monsters out of other men who listen to them. Their daughters are going to be part of the society they create.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Lovejossy: 2:25am On Feb 26, 2021
As a good man, you first of all meet your in-law to discuss the issue, then involve your family (Not your brother) to discuss with your inlaw if you really love the girl, then if all these failed, then you have all rights to call off the wedding.

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by wirinet(m): 3:32am On Feb 26, 2021
Lovejossy:
As a good man, you first of all meet your in-law to discuss the issue, then involve your family (Not your brother) to discuss with your inlaw if you really love the girl, then if all these failed, then you have all rights to call off the wedding.

What as a a good woman? Shouldn't the woman curtail her parents greed and excesses?

What's there to discuss? After dolling out over N300k for pre-wedding expenses and they are still demanding a big society wedding, without offering to contribute 1 kobo, and in these covid times.The girl in question must be the most beautiful girl in the universe. Very shameless family. Even Elon Musk or Mark Zuckerberg did not spend a fortune to marry a wife.

2 Likes

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nobody: 4:16am On Feb 26, 2021
mariahAngel:

Na so!

Your brother never see the woman wey him wan marry!
Your logic is very similar to what money can not solve, more money will solve it. Faulty

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nobody: 4:23am On Feb 26, 2021
100trillion:

Hope I was right?
Elder Not Senior brother. I don't know the age gap between you two, Can you please clarify
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nnefada: 4:25am On Feb 26, 2021
That's witchcraft

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nobody: 5:29am On Feb 26, 2021
pocohantas:
I don’t believe your story is a real one, but I agree with you that no normal human should take loans or exhaust their savings to have a wedding. No sensible woman should endorse such expenditure either. Having that in mind, I support you.

what he needs is just an affirmation of right or wrong ... of what use is support after election.
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nobody: 5:29am On Feb 26, 2021
indigene:

Elder Not Senior brother. I don't know the age gap between you two, Can you please clarify
3 yrs.
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nobody: 5:37am On Feb 26, 2021
ImaIma1:
Your brother has probably been reasoning the matter before you spoke. You just echoed what he knew. Obviously, there are some other signs he has seen.

My sista even that sign is enough, there is no need for more to japa

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by salt1: 5:38am On Feb 26, 2021
pocohantas:

A similar thing happened in my family and the wedding was cancelled. This was a cultural thing: Igbo wife and Yoruba groom.

The girl's family said they will host the traditional in their hometown where her uncles will receive the bride price. Her father is late so that's how to honour him.
The groom was to pay for the white wedding.

The groom's family wanted everything to be done in Lagos: hiring of magnificent hall for engagement ceremony, VIP catering etc. All the bills to be picked by the bride's family as per Yoruba style.
The groom refused to spend for his own white wedding and cancelled the wedding.

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by AbujaCitiBlog: 5:42am On Feb 26, 2021
ogub:
Calling off the wedding shouldn't have been the first thing to do he could have met with his prospective in-laws and tell them what he can afford to spend for the wedding and hear what they have to say
You are very wrong. The fact that his wife to be didn't have the basic wisdom to advice her husband aright is a very big red light. He did the right thing! Wicked woman!

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 26, 2021
salt1:

A similar thing happened in my family and the wedding was cancelled. This was a cultural thing: Igbo wife and Yoruba groom.

The girl's family said they will host the traditional in their hometown where her uncles will receive the bride price. Her father is late so that's how to honour him.
The groom was to pay for the white wedding.

The groom's family wanted everything to be done in Lagos: hiring of magnificent hall for engagement ceremony, VIP catering etc[b]. All the bills to be picked by the bride's family as per Yoruba style.[/b]
The groom refused to spend for his own white wedding and cancelled the wedding.

Really !! so in my tribe it is the bride family that finance the wedding. you beta go back to sleep the hangover neva clear for your head.
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Oracleforce: 5:55am On Feb 26, 2021
100trillion:

Hope I was right?

This was exactly.my story with my ex-girlfriend....
They told me how they want the marriage to be but they refuse to contribute anything...when I try to calculate all those expenses I have to incur before I can marry this lady it is close to 4million..not that I don't have the 4mollion but for the fact that nothing is coming from their family to support or contribute to the wedding program....nobody advised me before I opted out of the scam relationship....
Now., the lady is regretting her life for not marrying me....and she is growing older day-to-day....she will be 42 this year...
Some families are too self-centered for my liking

2 Likes

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Nweike1: 5:59am On Feb 26, 2021
Michelle55:

u 2 much, my dear

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by YoungBlackRico(m): 6:09am On Feb 26, 2021
BRATISLAVA:
Another woman bashing thread.

How much are you people paid to create these stories? Do you really think women don't have terrible stories to tell about men on a daily basis? The technique is old.
Who or what's holding you back?
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Mac2016(m): 6:30am On Feb 26, 2021
Childish
Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Dessy96: 6:31am On Feb 26, 2021
He did the right thing..

1 Like

Re: How I Saved My Brother From Marrying Into An Entitled Family by Ucheboss: 6:34am On Feb 26, 2021
I have a different opinion about this issue. Does your brother's fiance know his financial strength & still insist on elaborate wedding ceremony? You know some men live a fake life, boasting about what they don't have, making ladies believe they're rich, whereas they're not. I see nothing wrong in making the ceremony big, if I can afford it & still be comfortable. Honestly I don't think there was true love in that relationship. What I would have done is to be on d same page with my bride to be, & then go ahead with our wedding plans d way it pleases us.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See What A Madam Did To A Boy In Ilorin For Allegedly Stealing Her N500(pic) / Drama As Trader Allegedly Finds Male’s Private Part Inside Food / Nwanyi Ocha, Swiss Blogger Celebrates Her Nigerian Husband's Birthday In Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.