Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Usingtrees For Cattle Feed In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Usingtrees For Cattle Feed In Nigeria (530 Views)

Cattle Destroy 35,000 Hectares Of Rice Farm In Enugu – Officials / Affordable Cattle Feed Pellet Machine For Cattle Farm / Meet The Igbo Man Who Is A Cattle Rearer And See How He Does It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Usingtrees For Cattle Feed In Nigeria by spinna: 11:59pm On Feb 27, 2021
"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. - Genesis1:29 Holy Bible (KJV)

I made a decision from when i first started raising cattle. I decided that i would be as hands on as possible. In other words i was the herdsman, i had no hired hands. I learnt from practical experience and suffered all the cow kicks and head butts, falls, mistakes and near misses that were required to gain mastery of the cattle.

One of the main issues that we tropical cattle farmers face is the issue of dry season feeding. Cattle farmers face this problem in temperate regions as well when their winter season comes in.

Even if you have established pastures , in the height of the scorching dry season, every alternative source of fodder is crucial. Both to your cattle's welfare, and your pocket

So your cows are hungry and you look left and right and there is nothing to eat ..so look UP then, you might find something for your hungry animals. Before i learnt about these trees i used to have to source for cassava peels, and sometimes have to plant corn for silage. But so far this dry season i haven't purchased any cassava peels. The combination of Camelsfoot pods (see below) and dry Brachiaria pastures is satisfying my cattle well.

Cattle feeding under Mango tree

Trees can be a very useful source of fodder for your dry season farming. In fact some trees are so useful that i will recommend planting them interspersed with pasture grass. This system of trees and pastures is called Silvopasture.

I will talk about some trees that are useful to us here in Nigeria and that can make your life a whole lot easier, keeping your cattle in good body condition during the dry season. There are more of them but i will talk about three.

1. Mango Tree. The Mango tree is a useful source of feed for cattle at the height of the dry season. They readily consume ripe and unripe fruits (including the seed) as well as leaves.. I must say my jaw dropped the first time i saw a cow chew and swallow an entire mango. Waste of mango can be used for making cattle feed commercial. Major waste like mango seed kernel is a good source of carbohydrate. Of course mangoes are highly favoured by humans as well so you can go for the leaves which are plentiful so as not to offend your neighbours. (Remember folks we are practising ETHICAL Cattle farming here) Too much of mango leaf is bad for cows though so make sure it is not their sole feed...

read more here https://nigeriancattlerancher..com/2021/02/useful-trees-for-cattle-feed-in-nigeria.html

1 Like

Re: Usingtrees For Cattle Feed In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 28, 2021
Good idea.
Re: Usingtrees For Cattle Feed In Nigeria by Desammyst(m): 8:31pm On Oct 20, 2021
spinna:
"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. - Genesis1:29 Holy Bible (KJV)

I made a decision from when i first started raising cattle. I decided that i would be as hands on as possible. In other words i was the herdsman, i had no hired hands. I learnt from practical experience and suffered all the cow kicks and head butts, falls, mistakes and near misses that were required to gain mastery of the cattle.

One of the main issues that we tropical cattle farmers face is the issue of dry season feeding. Cattle farmers face this problem in temperate regions as well when their winter season comes in.

Even if you have established pastures , in the height of the scorching dry season, every alternative source of fodder is crucial. Both to your cattle's welfare, and your pocket

So your cows are hungry and you look left and right and there is nothing to eat ..so look UP then, you might find something for your hungry animals. Before i learnt about these trees i used to have to source for cassava peels, and sometimes have to plant corn for silage. But so far this dry season i haven't purchased any cassava peels. The combination of Camelsfoot pods (see below) and dry Brachiaria pastures is satisfying my cattle well.

Cattle feeding under Mango tree

Trees can be a very useful source of fodder for your dry season farming. In fact some trees are so useful that i will recommend planting them interspersed with pasture grass. This system of trees and pastures is called Silvopasture.

I will talk about some trees that are useful to us here in Nigeria and that can make your life a whole lot easier, keeping your cattle in good body condition during the dry season. There are more of them but i will talk about three.

1. Mango Tree. The Mango tree is a useful source of feed for cattle at the height of the dry season. They readily consume ripe and unripe fruits (including the seed) as well as leaves.. I must say my jaw dropped the first time i saw a cow chew and swallow an entire mango. Waste of mango can be used for making cattle feed commercial. Major waste like mango seed kernel is a good source of carbohydrate. Of course mangoes are highly favoured by humans as well so you can go for the leaves which are plentiful so as not to offend your neighbours. (Remember folks we are practising ETHICAL Cattle farming here) Too much of mango leaf is bad for cows though so make sure it is not their sole feed...

read more here https://nigeriancattlerancher..com/2021/02/useful-trees-for-cattle-feed-in-nigeria.html
I want to buy a cow. Kindly send me pictures n price tag of various species of cow you rear on 08101277263

(1) (Reply)

Best Cocoa Import And Export Countries Worldwide 2021 / Creating Wealth As A Farmer Despite Your Location. / Yearly Worker Needed in Ogbomosho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.