Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade (25027 Views)

The Red Wedding As Bitcoin Trade Hit $1.2 Below $27,000 Liquidation / Bitcoin Trade / Bitcoin Trade Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Mercisharelove(f): 9:57am On Feb 28, 2021
Cryptocurrencies: Why Nigeria is a global leader in Bitcoin trade

Bitcoin has jumped above $17,000 (£12,800) to hit a three-year high.

More cryptocurrency trading goes on in Nigeria than almost anywhere else in the world, reflecting a loss of faith in more traditional forms of investment, as Ijeoma Ndukwe reports.

Tola Fadugbagbe recalls moving to Lagos from his small south-western town 10 years ago with dreams of brighter prospects.

Instead, the 34-year-old ended up in a series of odd jobs earning the minimum wage to survive - a typical story for many young Nigerians who are just trying to get by.

It was not until 2016 that online adverts for Bitcoin piqued his interest and he began his cryptocurrency journey.

"I started intensive research," Mr Fadugbagbe told the BBC.

"I was spending hours every day watching videos on YouTube and reading articles about Bitcoin. I didn't have much money so I started with $100 to $200."

It was a decision that transformed his life.

Tola FadugbagbeTola Fadugbagbe
No Nigerian comes to cryptocurrency and wants to look back. It's a big opportunity."

At the time that we spoke, Mr Fadugbagbe, who now trades full time and teaches budding investors, said he had cryptocurrency worth more than $200,000 (£140,000) in his possession.

"I'll soon be moving into my own house, which I'm building. I have a farm - a very big one - courtesy of cryptocurrency," he laughs gleefully, unencumbered by concerns that he could be inflating an investment bubble that will one day burst.

"No Nigerian comes to cryptocurrency and wants to look back. It's a big opportunity."

Success stories like Mr Fadugbagbe's have attracted millions of Nigerians to digital currencies such as Bitcoin.

A 2020 survey by data platform Statista revealed that 32% of Nigerians are users of cryptocurrencies - the highest proportion of any country in the world.

$65mtraded every month

$100was spent on each trade on average

$215was the average spent on each trade in the US

Estimates show that of the top 10 countries for trading volumes, Nigeria ranked third place after the US and Russia in 2020, generating more than $400m worth of transactions.

Although Nigeria has eased out of its second recession in less than five years, the challenging economic climate remains, making alternative sources of income and alternative currencies attractive.

The Central Bank of Nigeria devalued the currency, the naira, by 24% last year. There are fears of a further fall in value by as much as 10% this year.

Meanwhile prices continue to rise, with food inflation climbing to its highest point since July 2008.

I'd made naira but lost US dollars. That's when I realised we're hustling backwards"

When Michael Ugwu, the founder of a media company in Lagos, sold land he owned in 2018, he realised he needed to explore new investment opportunities.

Although his naira earnings had gone up, he was worse of in US dollar terms because of the devaluation.

"I'd made naira but lost US dollars. That's when I realised we're hustling backwards. It was then that I started to look into Bitcoin."

The move to invest in digital currencies has paid off.

"On some of my currencies I've made 50 times what I invested. On Bitcoin it's easily grown 10 times in the last year," he says.

BBC Africa Daily podcast: What's Nigeria' beef with cryptocurrencies?
How Bitcoin's vast energy use could burst its bubble
How do cryptocurrencies work?
Nigerians' double blow: Currency woes and Covid-19
The former banker sees cryptocurrency as an evolution of finance, describing it as "finance 2.0".

Despite the currency's volatility, Mr Ugwu sees it as a valuable tool to "hedge" or reduce the risk of living in what he describes as a high-risk environment.

'Better banking experience'
His wife Onyeka started to invest when faced with high commission charges to transfer cash between her Nigerian and British accounts.

"For me it's a banking system," she says.

"It wasn't about making money. It was about how [to] have a better banking experience. Look at it as saving your money in a currency that can keep the value of the money."

Despite its appeal, economists around the world warn that Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies, are high-risk investments.

There are legitimate concerns that Bitcoin's soaring value is a speculative bet that will one day leave many in ruins.

An international banker based in Nigeria, who asked to remain anonymous, says it is a financial product that carries significant potential regulatory risk.

He says that "governments and central banks have not decided whether they can, or should, regulate it".

"On a technical level I'm not 100% sure that the security that it uses is entirely foolproof. I think there are still some technical uncertainties," he adds.

In an effort to regulate the market, Nigeria's central bank banned banks from facilitating cryptocurrency-related transactions in 2017, but the ban remained largely unenforced.

Cryptocurrency ban
However, this year the institution doubled down on its stance.

In a statement released on 7 February it cited the need to protect the general public and safeguard the country from potential threats posed by "unknown and unregulated entities" that are "well-suited for conducting many illegal activities".

Since then, many Nigerians have reported that their bank accounts have been frozen due to cryptocurrency-related activity.

Mr Fadugbagbe's bank manager called to advise him that his account would be closed, giving him a day to transfer his funds.

However, not everyone has been so fortunate.

media captionBuhari's Nigeria: 'Lack of jobs is making us going hungry'
One source says his bank account was frozen two weeks ago with tens of thousands of naira in it.

The software engineer says the bank would not disclose the reason for its actions.

He suspects he was targeted for running a cryptocurrency remittance business.

Furthermore, the BBC was shown a customer's bank correspondence, which contains the warning: "We strongly advise that you do not use your account for cryptocurrency-related activities so you don't get into trouble with the law".

However many investors with the possibility say they will continue to trade using their overseas bank accounts.

They say they can easily revert to peer-to-peer transactions. This means that rather than transferring funds between a financial institution and a cryptocurrency online trading platform, investors transfer funds directly to each other or through a middle person as they buy and sell.

'Don't shut it off completely'
This is the method the cryptocurrency community used before the development of the virtual currency marketplace ecosystem in Nigeria.

Mr Ugwu has also heard many in the business of cryptocurrency talk of relocating to potentially more hospitable environments such as Ghana, Rwanda and Sierra Leone.

The concerns of the authorities when it comes to cryptocurrencies being used for illegal purposes are legitimate but some argue that they are being too heavy handed.

A former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank, Kingsley Moghalu, believes that the country should engage and manage the risks "rather than just shutting it off completely - especially to the extent that it provides livelihoods for many people in a depressed economy".

There are also fears that cryptocurrency could become a missed opportunity, according to Gbite Oduneye who heads EGM Group, a Lagos-based brokerage firm.

"Nigeria is the third largest place for cryptocurrency trade in terms of volume," he explains. "If you don't take advantage, someone else will. Build an ecosystem round it. Put in rules and regulations."

'I trust cryptocurrency more than shares'
Nigerians also see cryptocurrencies as a way to get around foreign currency restrictions.

"There are a lot of restrictions on what we can and cannot do with our foreign exchange," Nena Nwachukwu from popular trading platform Paxful explains.

"Nigerians find it easier to use [cryptocurrency] as an investment tool."

She saw awareness of their service grow in October 2020 during the #EndSars protests against police brutality.

Attempts to crack down on the organisers by freezing their bank accounts led to the increased use of digital currencies, which saw Bitcoin trend on Twitter.

'My bank account was frozen because I took on the police'
Ms Nwachukwu says this resulted in a wave of new sign ups and an increase in transactions.

At the heart of the rise of Bitcoin is a distrust of centralised financial systems and top-down economic control, investors say.

Many express their frustrations with government policy and the decline of the Nigerian economy.

None more so than Mr Fadugbagbe, who spent years struggling to scrape by as what he describes as a "minimum-wage slave".

"I don't do shares and government bonds", he says. "Those are scams. I trust cryptocurrency more."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56169917

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Mercisharelove(f): 12:57pm On Feb 28, 2021
Awesome

Images, feelings, thoughts and actions comes alive at night. You may never believe what I am sharing with you right now until you see it first hand. Whatever creatures you could think about, whatever things you have heard of, whatever imaginations you have ever imagined, visualise or wish for, I am here to tell you that imaginations are very much alive at night.

Moral lesson:

Anything is possible!

That's why when you sleep, for most of you who are able to dream, you see yourself or others doing things even while asleep, most times you dream you see yourself driving a car you don't have physically, why you are still in your bed, other time eating in places you haven't ever gone before. That's because at night you move, you are alive, your inner self wakes up.

To correspond to the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY command, "Arise, shine for your light is come and the glory of the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY is risen upon you.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by FreeSpirited: 2:36pm On Feb 28, 2021
Nigeria has the brain, resources, population and innovation to lead in all sphere of life in the wordl Name it:, in sport, science, finance, business, medicine, invention? just name it..even in juju....but u know what...Your Fulani Herdsmen and Buhari will not allow us to be great.
We need to understand the Fulani worldview to to realise the animals we are fighting.
In Fulani culture, they believe it is their sole 'destiny from heaven' to rear cattle in the nomadic fashion across the grassland/forest of Africa.. They are most emboldened in Nigeria..cos Nigerians are foolish and take nonsense.
Fulani are culturally and divinely linked with cattle according to their folklore. it's a spiritual relationship..They worship it like deity.. that's why since they have the upper hand in politics they want to turn Nigeria to their grazing land where everyone will have to accept and probably pertake in this evil destiny of pastoralism, which is a cultural legacy to an average Fulani.
How shocked were you when one Northern man, I think Adamu Garba said cowcrycurrency is more progressive and lucrative than cryptocurrency? How did u feel hearing such travesty from a supposed educated Fulani man..that takes us back to the cultural and providential problem of nomadism in the worldview of the Fulanis people... How about the psychotic love for everything pertaining to cow that Bubu displays? It's still same explanation...
Until we get rid of these evil, backward, and stone age race of the Fulanis in Nigeria, they will continue to move us perilously back to destroy of our own superior destiny that should be the light and prosperity of Africa and the world at large.
Any sane country intent at moving forward should never allow Fulanis to lead cos their brain is irredeemably infested with cattle tissue. They will murder a new born baby, kill a pregnant woman to save or avenge a cow. Why should you live with such brutish animals?

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Perfectsouth(m): 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by signature2012(m): 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Alababoys: 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2021
Lori iro......iro grin

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by 9jayoungwealth(m): 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2021
Where una dey see all this money seff?

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by SeriouslySense(m): 2:38pm On Feb 28, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy this achievement is not due to the government, its due to the smart youths in the country.

I give the youths, especially the southern youths a big thumbs up for this one.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by abeniagbon(m): 2:38pm On Feb 28, 2021
Binance is the worst place to have you money

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 28, 2021
Herd mentality,
laziness and impatience to build real businesses,
Laundering of fraudulently acquired money,
hatred for the government,
lack of faith in the naira,
peer pressure,
Lack of innovation,
Too many fintech startups,
Too many cryptocurrency tutors who misrepresent the concept to their Students.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by omojesu202(m): 2:38pm On Feb 28, 2021
don't try my 9ja people

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by 30naira: 2:39pm On Feb 28, 2021
Since CBN attacked bitcoin, how has the naira fared?

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by ObaKlaz: 2:40pm On Feb 28, 2021
No broke Nigerian female invests In Clitocurrency and looks backgrin

11 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by FuckThaMod: 2:41pm On Feb 28, 2021
Only criminals in Nigeria enjoy cryptocurrency
What has Nigeria achieved to be a global leader in cryptocurrency and where's the money coming from?
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by SeriouslySense(m): 2:44pm On Feb 28, 2021
Typical Lazy type, why don't you do your research then explain why you think its not a good thing, imao

As regards to your ignorant speculations, BBC even puts Nigeria on a positive light for this trend, and do you know China, wants to master this too.
America is even afraid of the advantage its provides. So before you say things, from an isolated ignorant state, try to get a more full perspective.

FuckThaMod:
Only criminals in Nigeria enjoy cryptocurrency
What has Nigeria achieved to be a global leader in cryptocurrency and where's the money coming from?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Oluwasaeon(m): 2:44pm On Feb 28, 2021
ethicallyright:
Herd mentality,
peer pressure.
?
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by ABCthingx: 2:45pm On Feb 28, 2021
Yeye statistics. So you are telling me that 7 out of 10 people of the 42% of Nigerians that use internet have bitcoins sad

9 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Optional09: 2:46pm On Feb 28, 2021
Bitcoin price has since crashed since Nigeria pass their mumu laws.

My money is trapped in bitcoin because i don’t want to sell at a loss. The Nigerian government should urgently lift the ban so that we won’t lose all our earning to foreign owners of bitcoin establishment. This should have been the first in Nigerian governments mind before banning bitcoin, putting your citizen ahead of any national action will let you act well as a civil servant, but if all your thought is to oppress. you’ll always take actions in panic causing yourself to make grave errors. If you know emefuele tell him as a matter of citizens interest he should lift the ban to let us realize our gains and cash out.

Nigerias are the second largest investors in bitcoin after the United States. Instead of meeting with stake holders in the bitcoin establishment to determine how you can fairly tax bitcoin investors and make more money for the country you rushed and ban it they everyone losses.. dumb shit

12 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by ichidodo: 2:47pm On Feb 28, 2021
Nigeria, World leader bitcoin trade is because Nigerians are gullible...They don't read the fine print that is if they even bother to read or 'skim' a long page..We have a fire brigade approach about things like bitcoin,our own na anywhere belle face...We get too irrational,emotional and neurotic when it comes to investment that reasoning and logic flies out of the window... Tis a fine job banning cryptocurrency as it seems the bears have taken over the market.Imagine the scenario of trillions of naira from hard working people's expense going into that bourse disappearing into thin air as the Bitcoin bubble bursts...All that Foreign exchange disappear just like that as bitcoin drops from 51000$ to 44000?!Then before the year ends from 44000$ back to where it started before corona virus pandemic at 13000$...So Nigerians being the global bitcoin holders will invariably become the global bitcoin losers.. Pls no attacks, I have headache from hang over..

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by dheaven: 2:47pm On Feb 28, 2021
All businesses involves risk... They should allow the risk takers take the risk.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by ernecy(m): 2:47pm On Feb 28, 2021
The government is confused, CBN has no clue that they can't stop the future..

On binance alone Nigeria hold the highest volume of Crypto transaction..

10 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Alexis11: 2:48pm On Feb 28, 2021
Crypto is the future.
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by alingo2013(m): 2:48pm On Feb 28, 2021
Bitcoin is the future, keep mining ,keep buying for the future, save for the future please I have been mining for months now and I have decided to withdraw my Bitcoin until it reach $100,000

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by dannybomb(m): 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2021
abeniagbon:
Binance is the worst place to have you money
Say who ?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Alexis11: 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2021
Optional09:
Bitcoin has since crashed since Nigeria pass their mumu laws.

My money is trapped in bitcoin because i don’t want to sell at a loss. The Nigerian government should urgently lift the ban so that we won’t lose all our earning to foreign owners of bitcoin establishment. This should have been the first in Nigerian governments mind before banning bitcoin, putting your citizen ahead of any national action will let you act well as a civil servant, but if all your thought is to oppress. you’ll always take actions in panic causing yourself to make grave errors. If you know emefuele tell him as a matter of citizens interest he should lift the ban to let us realize our gains and cash out.

Nigerias are the second largest investors in bitcoin after the United States. Instead of meeting with stage holders in the bitcoin to determine how you can fairly tax bitcoin invested and make more money for the country you rushed and ban it they everyone losses.. dumb shit

Bitcoin crashed

Lol
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by RealEzee(m): 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2021
I trust crypto more than shares and bonds too, before crypto haven't people been using fiat money for illegal purposes? The govt fears what they can't control, they fear the strength of the youths to not alone diversify but improvise means to make life a little more easier for themselves.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by abeniagbon(m): 2:50pm On Feb 28, 2021
dannybomb:
Say who ?
withdrawal charges is bad is as fix like taking a whole $5
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by Optional09: 2:52pm On Feb 28, 2021
Alexis11:

Bitcoin crashed

Well, price crashed, my bad. Many people invested more when it was 56k

How do we manage the 25% loss

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by xxxXXXxxx: 2:52pm On Feb 28, 2021
A very informative piece.
Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by GeneralPula: 2:54pm On Feb 28, 2021
Bitcoin is the way..

If you wanting to go into crypto, I'll advise ya'll should try to start with little token...Just to study and learn and understand how it works.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Is A Global Leader In Bitcoin Trade by LutanFyah: 2:54pm On Feb 28, 2021
ethicallyright:
Herd mentality,
peer pressure,
Lack of innovation,
Too many fintech startups,
Too many cryptocurrency tutors who misrepresent the concept to their Students.

Let me address your point one by one :

Nigerian youths are not lazy,you don't expect them to invest in your "real business " when you're just about taxing them to death, can't provide power for them to run the "real business ", when you can't secure their goods and services, when you can't make good policies to reduce the interest rates,etc.

Nigerian youths are not the ones laundering funds, maybe you can ask Buratai, Orji Uzor Kalu,Tinubu,Atiku,Obasanjo,Dino,Gumi,Maina etc.

Nigerian youths don't hate the government rather it's the government that hate the youths by disparaging them,looting their common wealth, allowing ASSU to go on strike for almost a year,allowing the police to profile and kill them etc.

Who will have faith in a currency that even the president doesn't trust?

Peer pressure to be innovative and flow with the tides of time is a good peer pressure and not be stuck in talking about cow,Fulani,Ruga,Tradermoni for 8yrs.

How many innovations have you lots encouraged? The young man that produced a mobile ventilator was not given a dime nor encouraged until the Europeans took him.

You're enemy of progress if too many start ups is a problem to you. You want the youths to continue with Tradermoni and cow business right?

How many students complained to you that they don't understand the concept?

This generation of youngsters will never be a slave to you and your paymasters, as long as we have FOREX and CRYPTOCURRENCIES,we will never be your thugs to snatch ballot boxes.

27 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Earn Passive Income With Questra / Which Bank Has The Best Rate For Fixed Deposit Account? / We Can Only Pray For MMM Victims – NDIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.