Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,002 members, 7,799,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? (15077 Views)

Is It Wrong To Cook In My Married Brother's House? / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / African Child With Blue Eyes Abandoned By Parents On Suspicion Of Witchcraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jashub: 5:40pm On Mar 01, 2021
uniquelyspecial:

A lot more. The common sense that is rare especially in Nigeria.
Please define common sense
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Sterope(f): 5:40pm On Mar 01, 2021
Yeah because the Western culture is always so beautiful, so civilised and so perfect

BadRadio:
Truth is that I am African but I dispise the standards in Africa. Africa seems too primitive, naive and backwards in terms of everything... and I've usually thought of raising my kids the British or American style.

of what importance is an African parents culture and tradition in raising their children the African way rather that the British or American way?

Would it be sensible if a child is a genius in English language than mother tongue.

Are there disadvantages.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Sterope(f): 5:43pm On Mar 01, 2021
You are as wrong as he is.

No culture is perfect. There is a lot wrong with a culture where most children need to take a drastic step before their parents begin to respect them as a person.

Rukkyken71:

Notin is really wrong with our way of life when it comes to bringing up a child, our way is the best with good morals but the problem is in the education and the environment. Our leaders have killed everything here in Nigeria, no good school apart from the private primary and secondary schools and most of them in some part of the country re not up to standard, they just have nice building and equipment. Our universities are finished, honestly there is notin left of our universities except maybe the private ones which u must be well to do before u could afford it. our health care centres are zero. if u hav the money to live abroad then pls do. Don't mind people telling u otherwise.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by anonymous1759(m): 5:43pm On Mar 01, 2021
WiszyFraud:
It is totally wrong, because the British/American will not raise their own the African way. . That is inferiority complex!!!

Use Your brain cheesy

You dey mind that man with Slave mentality. In as much as I admire some traits of the west I can't colonize my children to become oyinbo.
I'll pick out the good sides and blend it with my African culture to make it perfect.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jaqenhghar: 5:44pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
Bros do not be deceived. The Nigerians in the diaspora that making us proud are not even aware that they are Nigerians; it is our dumb newspapers that keep saying they are Nigerians .

Infact, if you were to ask them personally, they would tell you they are citizens of their host country. So let us get that straight.

Lastly, the Nigerians that you mentioned are only doing the rubbish that they are doing because of foreign influence through social media. And you cannot use that as a yardstick to speak bad of Nigerian youths.
.all this one na english. You are saying being raised abroad brings out the worst in children. I jave given you examples. You are now denying that they are not Nigerians. Of course they are not but they were raised there abi.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jaqenhghar: 5:45pm On Mar 01, 2021
mulero23:
I am sorry, if I may ask have you lived or stayed in the so-called western world and see things yourself? Sometimes, you know experience is the best pointer!
What has my staying anywhere got to do with my post. Na so una like to dey do. You ignore the issues being discussed and start reaching for something else. If you want to refute it bring your evidence lets talk

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by owbabs: 5:46pm On Mar 01, 2021
JasperVII:
Here's a better question: do the British and Americans raise their children the African way?

Yes..sometimes when they misbehave they are sent home to learn good morals

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Yankee101: 5:47pm On Mar 01, 2021
Having been to all the continents/countries mentioned, I can categorically tell you that the African culture is the best. No comparison even.

But of course you'll drop some and borrow some from other cultures.

The reason African Americans are lost in the US is because there is no prevailing culture. The only ones thriving for blacks that helps keep them focused and grounded are creole, Kwanzaa (ujima, umoja etc) and these are strongly African.

If you no do well you go get Britico or yankee pickin with dada, tattoos, smoking igbo, very disrespectful, gets pregnant out of wedlock, does drugs, can call cops on you, stop talking to you for 5 years and put you in old people's home after getting a court order saying you're incompetent and taking over your hard earned money to blow on booze and women while you're still alive being medicated in a prison-like home care

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jashub: 5:48pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jaqenhghar:
.all this one na english. You are saying being raised abroad brings out the worst in children. I jave given you examples. You are now denying that they are not Nigerians. Of course they are not but they were raised there abi.
They are of Nigerian ancestry not Nigerians. Note the difference
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by uniquelyspecial(m): 5:49pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
Please define common sense
Amongst others, common sense is knowing that wastes should trashed in a bin and not on the floor or drainage system.
Also, a possession of common sense implies that one wouldnt make illogical statements just because he/she wants to speak, as we see in comments here on Nairaland.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 01, 2021
Is it wrong to answer this daft question. YES
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Sterope(f): 5:50pm On Mar 01, 2021
I see your political touts, cultists in your high school and universities, bandits and those rapists your society seem to love protecting agreeing with you.

You would assume the natural consequences of raising your children to be so African would be honest politicians, ethical police officers, law-abiding citizens and children that can pretend to respect themselves, others, and those they consider beneath them
Jashub:
Are you ready to see homosexuality and other vices in the life of your child? If your answer is yes. Then go for western education.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jaqenhghar: 5:50pm On Mar 01, 2021
Amiteye:
Nkoyo Ngozi Iweala, Chimamanda Adichie, Asa, prophet T.B Joshua, chinua achebe, Wole soyinka. We hav gud pipo 2
Are those youths? Chimamanda at 43 is a youth to you. Asa you can call a youth. Even then those 2 you mentioned are raising their children abroad. If the Niggerian way was so good, and having tasted life in that shithole why are they not raising their families there?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by olarafiat(f): 5:51pm On Mar 01, 2021
addictiv:
I pity you...wait till you have to pay your kids to do house chores or you do them yourself despite having grownup teenagers at home.
Ionno about America but these black britiko children spoil so teh they will only wash their own plates leaving their parents to wash theirs themselves. Should I talk about how children talk back at their parents here.
When I give birth and my pikin try nonsense he/she's going to Nigeria for about 2yrs to learn sense
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Aconomist: 5:52pm On Mar 01, 2021
BadRadio:
Truth is that I am African but I dispise the standards in Africa. Africa seems too primitive, naive and backwards in terms of everything... and I've usually thought of raising my kids the British or American style.

of what importance is an African parents culture and tradition in raising their children the African way rather that the British or American way?

Would it be sensible if a child is a genius in English language than mother tongue.

Are there disadvantages.
My parents raised me in the Western way, and I'm grateful for it. African culture is complete nonsense.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jaqenhghar: 5:54pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
They are of Nigerian ancestry not Nigerians. Note the difference
Nigga, na who do you like this nah? They were raised there yes or no? Show me Niggerians brought up in Niggeria that achieved those things.
Dont tell me musicians.. these days any idiot can make it singing. Im talking in the areas of STEM or in literature or academics.
Show me children of Nigerian ancestry raised abroad who behave like Bobrisky or that James Brown fellow
Even the Niggerians committing crimes that are reported abroad are mostly the ones raised in Niggeria. Its the one raised in Niggeria , and their love for awoof that do marriage fraud, internet fraud, scamming social welfare.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by jimmychang: 5:56pm On Mar 01, 2021
BadRadio:
sure... An American or british polished kid has a lot in their favour than that African kid. Bigger Advantage

Trash ,too much American movies don Bleep with your brain grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Bimpe29: 5:58pm On Mar 01, 2021
You would surely like the primitiveness of African when your child is beginning to live the nasty and weird life occasioned by foreign mentality.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 01, 2021
I was born and raised in England, i didn"t do me any harm. undecided and i am not homosexual. tongue apart from say i dey smoke ganja, besides, i bet my ass that some people are homosexuals and somkes ganja too in Nigeria.

So what is the problem?
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by bjdon: 6:02pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
Are you ready to see homosexuality and other vices in the life of your child? If your answer is yes. Then go for western education.
Just because you have access to the internet, does not mean you are obliged to post and display your ignorance to the whole world.

Fact Number 1: The overwhelming majority of people in the US and Europe are not homosexual.
Fact Number2: There are loads of homosexuals in Nigeria, how come the so called 'African Way' has not prevented it?
Fact Number3: Were all the current rulers in Nigeria not brought up in the so called 'African Way' how has it benefit us?

We produce nothing of any economic substance in Africa. Our raw materials are brought by other nations for a pittance, converted into value added products and resold to us at massive mark ups. How come our 'African way' education has not been able to equip us with the tools to be active economic players on the global stage?

We have scant regard for the rule of law. Life has virtually no value across the land, how has our 'African Way' education helped to resolve/prevent any of these negative realities?

A little less arrogance/Ignorance will go a long way.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by jaxxy(m): 6:02pm On Mar 01, 2021
BadRadio:

Are there disadvantages.

Nothing is wrong or right. They all have advantages and disadvantages. For me a mixture of the cultures is my preference.

Who said African culture doesn’t have issues? undecided
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 01, 2021
bjdon:

Just because you have access to the internet, does not mean you are obliged to post and display your ignorance to the whole world.

Fact Number 1: The overwhelming majority of people in the US and Europe are not homosexual.
Fact Number2: There are loads of homosexuals in Nigeria, how come the so called 'African Way' has not prevented it?
Fact Number3: Were all the current rulers in Nigeria not brought up in the so called 'African Way' how has it benefit us?

We produce nothing of any economic substance in Africa. Our raw materials are brought by other nations for a pittance, converted into value added products and resold to us at massive mark ups. How come our 'African way' education has not been able to equip us with the tools to be active economic players on the global stage?

We have scant regard for the rule of law. Life has virtually no value across the land, how has our 'African Way' education helped to resolve/prevent any of these negative realities?

A little less arrogance/Ignorance will go a long way.
Tell them! As if there are no homosexuals in Nigeria.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
Total crap! There are thousands of Gays in nigeria, they are just living in fear and underground because of homophobes like you.

I was born and raised in east london England by IGBO parents and i am not gay.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by ridwanlawal: 6:12pm On Mar 01, 2021
post=99515178:
What really matters is to....

(By the way, when the Bible says he, it also means she, kindly take note good people of Nairaland kiss)

So, What really matters is to....
Haha. Which time Alaye turn pastor
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by bezimo(m): 6:13pm On Mar 01, 2021
I live in the West and I bet you don't want to raise your kids in western ways that encourage children to do what they want without discipline or consequence..that's why many of them grow up to be disaster nuisance to the society. Instilling African values of respect, value, modesty and discipline is a big challenge if you as an African man live in the West with your kids..theses factor are against you.
1. You can't discipline your child the African way to address recalcitrant behaviour..
2. The CfS or government regulatory body for child and family support would always never be on your slide if matters escalate relating to child discipline..
3. Those kids go to school and are faced with serious peer pressure to misalign..
4. If your wife don't share the same African culture values with you, you will have a hard time getting the kids to straighten up.

The western ways of raising kids is not the best way..that's why you see most of those kids are nothing but morally disasters. In my city last week 2 white teenage girls(13,15) attacked a woman when she alighted from a bus and robbed her and assaulted her badly..offcourse the police got involved..that's just one case among many we hear. Those 2 girls are an example of products of the terrible parenting model run by the West.
If the boys are not robbing liquor store, car jacking and fleeing, they are robbing people, attacking people, joing gangs or been such an idiot lowlifer.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by chumzyprech: 6:23pm On Mar 01, 2021
The best is to raise you child in Niger �� so that they can be Fulani Herdsmen. [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Johel(m): 6:23pm On Mar 01, 2021
BadRadio:

Are there disadvantages.

Africa is shitty...raise your child the foreign way,let him be different from these hypocrites... I'm a full English man and I hate Nigeria and Africa at large,I hate the languages,I dislike the people...the Devil resides in Africa,his cousin has a mansion in Nigeria.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jaqenhghar: 6:27pm On Mar 01, 2021
Yankee101:
Having been to all the continents/countries mentioned, I can categorically tell you that the African culture is the best. No comparison even.

But of course you'll drop some and borrow some from other cultures.

The reason African Americans are lost in the US is because there is no prevailing culture. The only ones thriving for blacks that helps keep them focused and grounded are creole, Kwanzaa (ujima, umoja etc) and these are strongly African.

If you no do well you go get Britico or yankee pickin with dada, tattoos, smoking igbo, very disrespectful, gets pregnant out of wedlock, does drugs , can call cops on you, stop talking to you for 5 years and put you in old people's home after getting a court order saying you're incompetent and taking over your hard earned money to blow on booze and women while you're still alive being medicated in a prison-like home care
You have described the average Niggerian celebrity, yahoo boy whom everyone looks up to. Mostly people who were raised in Niggeria.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by JaceBlaze: 6:28pm On Mar 01, 2021
As the saying goes... "you gotta know where you come from to know where you are going"

I just don't see how plucking a child from deeply rooted African traditions can be of any help.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:29pm On Mar 01, 2021
exactly
Optional09:
Because African “black children” faces a lot of attack from those society it’s would be best to raise them in African way. Black children faces attacks starting from the day they were conceived. In some cases if you happen to have a racist physician, his/her recommendations may see to making sure your child is born with some sort of disabilities including autism.

Even as the mother during your maternity you may hear from your physician “black women are more likely to die during pregnancy than others” that statement is a psychological attack on you and your baby.

Sometime they will recommend the baby be removed with CS even when it’s unnecessary too do so, so that you can be used for training, this may happen in teaching or university hospitals.

If you succeed in having a sound healthy child, the struggle then begins, depending on which community you can afford to live, if you live in poor community because of your low income the risk become higher. In that case you should upgrade your training to African hardcore training.

Where you received average income and living in a decent community, keep your eyes open. combine both training techniques African and English.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 01, 2021
sportybet117:
hello, have you made any withdraw?
not yet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Husband's Attitude Will Make Me Kill Him One Day / I Accidentally Got My Sister Pregnant / Wife Vs Sister. Advice Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.