Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. (21086 Views)

Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders / Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo / Cote D' Ivoire: Gbagbo’s Supporters Attack Nigerian Embassy, Nigerians Flee. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2011
[size=18pt]Ivory Coast: French soldiers 'hand Gbagbo to rebels'[/size]
French soldiers have seized Ivorian leader Laurent Gbagbo from his residence and handed him over to the opposition, a Gbagbo aide has said.

They reportedly went in after French tanks advanced on the compound in Ivory Coast's main city, Abidjan, following French and UN helicopter attacks.

Mr Gbagbo is refusing to cede power to Alassane Ouattara, certified as the winner of the presidential election.

UN peacekeepers accuse Gbabgo forces of endangering the civilian population.

"Gbagbo has been arrested by French special forces in his residence and has been handed over to the rebel leaders," presidential spokesman Toussaint Alain told Reuters news agency from Paris.

News of the arrest was later confirmed by the French ambassador for AFP news agency.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by lolatom: 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2011
source pls
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 2:35pm On Apr 11, 2011
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 2:36pm On Apr 11, 2011
Pop Champagne jo! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 2:41pm On Apr 11, 2011
It's all on CNN and Al Jazeera too.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 2:43pm On Apr 11, 2011
It was inevitable. His last hand was played in show of defiance. He knew this was coming.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by blacksta(m): 2:44pm On Apr 11, 2011
The next one to arrest is GHaddaffi

mad leaders.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by superboi(m): 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2011
ochukoccna:

Pop Champagne jo! grin grin grin grin grin grin
See this guy Wahala just dey start!!!!
A foreign army(white) enters a country(Black African Divided along ethno/religious lines) and arrest one of the presidential candidate and hands him over to the other and you applaude that?
No wonder Africa is so backwards always entering shortcut and getting lost in the bush,
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Ibime(m): 2:46pm On Apr 11, 2011
Why should French troops hand him over to the rebels? Do they not think the rebels might "Samuel Doe" him?

Nik Sarkozy is a real f*ggot. What happened to UN tribunals and all that? Or are the rebels supposed to hold the tribunal?

Sarkozy has been pursuing some nonsensical imperialist foreign policy in recent weeks in order to take minds off his impending defeat at the polls.

First off, he backed an unorganised "Al-Quaeda-influenced" rebel group in Libya.

Then he attempts to force through election results in a country that needed balkanisation, not elections.

Then he arrests Gbagbo and instead of following due process and shipping the dude to The Hague, he hands him over to the rebels.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by akin2011: 2:48pm On Apr 11, 2011
They have just opened the doors for an unending civil war in that country
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by meine: 2:48pm On Apr 11, 2011
Gbogbgo iya fun gbagbo

But why are the french intervenin in local affairs, sarkozy is trying so hard to show himself as superman. Africa beware this is the beginnin of colonization!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by superboi(m): 2:50pm On Apr 11, 2011
Ibime:

Why should French troops hand him over to the rebels? Do they not think the rebels might "Samuel Doe" him?

Nik Sarkozy is a real f*ggot. What happened to UN tribunals and all that? Or are the rebels supposed to hold the tribunal?

Sarkozy has been pursuing some nonsensical imperialist foreign policy in recent weeks in order to take minds off his impending defeat at the polls.

First off, he backed an unorganised "Al-Quaeda-influenced" rebel group in Libya.

Then he attempts to force through election results in a country that needed balkanisation, not elections.

Then he arrests Gbagbo and instead of following due process and shipping the dude to The Hague, he hands him over to the rebels.

And on top of that the UN said Quattara should investigate the genocide accusation against himself(Quattara) and his troops, These people are F>u>c>k>I>n>g african bad and alot of us are enjoying it undecided undecided
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by SweetT1: 2:51pm On Apr 11, 2011
lolatom:

source pls

Lo wo CNN wa Gbagbo.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by blacksta(m): 2:52pm On Apr 11, 2011
It is more complicated than that -  gbadgo cant not be handed to the un tribunal yet.  According to Ivory cost constitution Gbagdo needs to sign power away and hand over to Quattro and a Gbagbo death without handing over will make Quattro reign illegal.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 2:53pm On Apr 11, 2011
superboi:

See this guy Wahala just dey start!!!!
A foreign army(white) enters a country(Black African Divided along ethno/religious lines) and arrest one of the presidential candidate and hands him over to the other and you applaude that?
No wonder Africa is so backwards always entering shortcut and getting lost in the bush,
I applaud the fact that a dude who lost the presidential election choose to baulk @ the result and do a Ghadaffi upon his own people--killing protesting women and shelling a market.

If U know your history well,you should know your African hero -Gbagbo- along with Henri Bedie[one time president] were the very ones who started the instigation of ethno-religious sentiments primarily against Alassane Quatara [one time prime minister and winner of the election] all in their quest to become president.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Bobnice: 2:59pm On Apr 11, 2011
Gbago go smell smell the odor of him body
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by superboi(m): 3:00pm On Apr 11, 2011
ochukoccna:

I applaud the fact that a dude who lost the presidential election choose to baulk @ the result and do a Ghadaffi upon his own people--killing protesting women and shelling a market.

If U know your history well,you should know your African hero -Gbagbo- along with Henri Bedie[one time president] were the very ones who started the instigation of ethno-religious sentiments primarily against Alassane Quatara [one time prime minister and winner of the election] all in their quest to become president.

Ochuko nay you need to cleanse your self from your CNN induced history lessons,
Ivorite was introduced first when Quattara was prime minister and acting president and he probably did it to impress the late dictator and the thing boomaranged on him like the coup law and Obasanjo.
I am not a Gbagbo Fan as you put it but I believe in Soveringty of any Nation and the French and UN in case have clearly dug thier own pit because when China and Russia start to do their own they no go fit talk.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2011
French soldiers have seized Ivorian leader Laurent Gbagbo from his residence and handed him over to the opposition, a Gbagbo aide has said.

Ibime:

The report says opposition, yours reads rebels shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
So now the opposition are now rebels because they choose to flush out Gbagbo out of his bunker after 4 months of dialogue to make him see reason to relinquish the presidency in an election he, his supporters and the whole of Cote d' Ivoire knows he lost.
Hmnn! sad angry angry angry angry angry
I'm still scratching my head at your political thesis O!
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by EzeUche(m): 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2011
Do anyone else see something wrong with this? French soldiers arrested him and handed him over to his opponent.

Africans need to think for once.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by superboi(m): 3:05pm On Apr 11, 2011
ochukoccna:

The report says opposition, yours reads rebels shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
So now the opposition are now rebels because they choose to flush out Gbagbo out of his bunker after 4 months of dialogue to make him see reason to relinquish the presidency in an election he, his supporters and the whole of Cote d' Ivoire knows he lost.
Hmnn! sad angry angry angry angry angry
I'm still scratching my head at your political thesis O!
Guy those guys have been fighting Gbagbo even before the election and as far back as 2002,when he was first elected so yes they are rebels, Please go and read history as you recommended to me too.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by opalu: 3:08pm On Apr 11, 2011
[size=25pt]PRAISE THE LORD!!![/size]

ONE MORE TO GO
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by blacksta(m): 3:08pm On Apr 11, 2011
Stop spreading rumours  - it is was not french soldiers it was pro quattro forces that arrested gbagbo  - for weeks now gbagbo residence had been surrounded by pro quattro forces - or did you think gbadgo was going to be holed in a bunker for life.  

Why would the french special force hand over gbabgo to the opposition  - does that make any sense at all.

Nobody has violated any  Ivory coast sovereignty
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 3:08pm On Apr 11, 2011
superboi:

Ivorite was introduced first when Quattara was prime minister and acting president and he probably did it to impress the late dictator and the thing boomaranged on him like the coup law and Obasanjo.
I am not a Gbagbo Fan as you put it but I believe in Soveringty of any Nation and the French and UN in case have clearly dug thier own pit because when China and Russia start to do their own they no go fit talk.
You 'll have to repost your words above in understandable English & lexicon when your excitement goes down.
CNN?
I don't do that Jewish American propaganda station.
Does sovereignty allow you to kill your own people [innocent& defenceless] in defence of a spurious mandate?
You must be one of Ghadaffi's sons that has escaped from Libya! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by EzeUche(m): 3:10pm On Apr 11, 2011
blacksta:

Stop spreading rumours  - it is was not french soldiers it was pro quattro forces that arrested gbagbo  - for weeks now gbagbo residence had been surrounded by pro quattro forces - or did you think gbadgo was going to be holed in a bunker for life.  

Why would the french special force hand over gbabgo to the opposition  - does that make any sense at all.

Nobody has violated any  Ivory coast sovereignty  

The French probably played some role in his capture. You would be a fool to think otherwise.

Sometimes I wonder about my African brethren.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by opalu: 3:11pm On Apr 11, 2011
EzeUche:

Do anyone else see something wrong with this? French soldiers arrested him and handed him over to his opponent.

Africans need to think for once.

WE MUST NOT ALWAYS SEE SOMETHING WRONG
WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING US TO SEE?

THAT THE FRENCH SOLDIERS KILLED HIM OR FLEW HIM TO FRANCE?

THEY SIMPLY HANDED HIM OVER TO THE FORCES LOYAL TO THE SITTING PRESIDENT.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by ochukoccna: 3:13pm On Apr 11, 2011
superboi:

Guy those guys have been fighting Gbagbo even before the election and as far back as 2002,when he was first elected so yes they are rebels, Please go and read history as you recommended to me too.
If you had been following the Ivory Coast crisis on a daily basis, you would recall that Quatara's first act was to appoint Soro his deputy and that Soro is the public face of the 'rebels' who have now been co-opted into the new Republican force wchich includes militias and deserters from Gbagbo's army. And that they will be the bulk on Ivory Coast's new army.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by blacksta(m): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2011
from BBc

The BBC's Mark Doyle in Abidjan says: "The questions of who arrested Mr Gbagbo and how it happened is important, because according to my information the French forces were in the lead moving towards Mr Gbagbo's residence a couple of hours ago. But senior French military sources here are now claiming that there was not a single French soldier on the ground when Mr Gbagbo was arrested - and this is so they can try and distance themselves from any accusations of neocolonialism and so on."
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by favcom(m): 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2011
Good news!
can we have this on home page, pls?
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by superboi(m): 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2011
ochukoccna:

You 'll have to repost your words above in understandable English & lexicon when your excitement goes down.
CNN?
I don't do that Jewish American propaganda station.
Does sovereignty allow you to kill your own people [innocent& defenceless] in defence of a spurious mandate?
You must be one of Ghadaffi's sons that has escaped from Libya! grin grin grin grin grin
Ochuko I get time well well today,
If civilian carry arms they are no longer defenceless(as per Gadaffi) or why did you think NATO bombed them(Benghazi gang) too.
As per Gbagbo the fact is France and UN are desprate to put in their guy as president. They armed rebels(like in libya) and are killing souther Civilians that support Gbagbo. Watch not that am happy about this, But as Thabo Mbeki said in 2005/6 This election would cause a long civil war like the Congo.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by morpheus24: 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2011
superboi:

[b]Ivorite was introduced first when Quattara was prime minister and acting president and he probably did it to impress the late dictator and the thing boomaranged on him like the coup law and Obasanjo.[/b]I am not a Gbagbo Fan as you put it but I believe in Soveringty of any Nation and the French and UN in case have clearly dug thier own pit because when China and Russia start to do their own they no go fit talk.

Can you reference me to where you got the information on the bolded part to verify
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by EzeUche(m): 3:16pm On Apr 11, 2011
People should not comment on issues they know nothing about. The Ivory Coast suffers from regional and sectarian conflicts just like Nigeria. Read about the history of the Ivory Coast and you will see a North vs. South dichotomy.

This is the problem with the colonial made borders of African countries.
Re: Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 11, 2011
CNN) -- The self-declared president of the Ivory Coast, Laurent Gbagbo, was arrested Monday, the French Embassy in that country said.

Security forces of the Ivory Coast arrested him, the embassy said.

A Gbagbo adviser, Ahoua Don Mello, said earlier that the French military had stormed Gbagbo's residence.

Gbagbo's refusal to cede power triggered a political crisis in the West African nation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

U.S. Officials Suspect That Russian Hackers Broke Into Federal Agencies / Curfew Announced In Kyiv As Russian Shelling Continues / Fact-check: Did Russian Space Agency Threaten To Strand American Astronaut In Sp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.