Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,904 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship (54207 Views)

Emmanuel Chinweuba Nworie Relocates To The US / Emmanuel Nworie The First Class Mathematician About To Be Stolen By Canada.. / Eniola Olaniyan Bags PhD From FUTA - Federal University of Technology, Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by NoFap123: 10:11pm On Mar 04, 2021
Jarus:
Happy to be part of this and on the 3-man scholarship interview panel that first discovered him.

We struggled to fight back tears while interviewing him - his condition despite his brilliance.

We thank God we got him here.

God bless you Jarus and MT.

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by ezewealth(m): 10:27pm On Mar 04, 2021
vickydevoka:

In unn is mathematics n civil engineering is de easiest department to make first class.

I could remember in a class of 30 I mathematics there where 8 first class.
Na so 2 of my class comot with 2.1 that year, I begin de lag am
that time for my sch ABSU ( na third class) most people dey use comot, in fact d that last person dat graduated in that department with first class retained DR Bright. the tyme I borrow one of their courses ODE( ordinary Differential Equation) for 2nd year. na that time I started respecting mathematics students, even ones DAT graduated with 2.2
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Kebbiprince: 10:36pm On Mar 04, 2021
Sterope:
They probably have better lecturers but the Nigerian in you must find an alternative explanation to hardwork and brilliance. I wonder what is stopping you from switching to those courses in UNN..

I wonder oo, jealous people everywhere
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by TechSkill: 11:04pm On Mar 04, 2021
Jarus:

There were a lot of "urgent attention, find him for us" requests including from governments but we didn't grant the requests as they were distracting and he was preparing for GRE then. We needed him to concentrate. We were capable of getting him the scholarship (with his academic qualifications) so we ignored other requests which would have distracted him.

So from discovering him in the village to paying for his test fees to getting this US PhD scholarship for him, everything handled by Michael Taiwo and team.

Ah great... This explains it all. Thank you.
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by vickydevoka(m): 11:41pm On Mar 04, 2021
ezewealth:

that time for my sch ABSU ( na third class) most people dey use comot, in fact d that last person dat graduated in that department with first class retained DR Bright. the tyme I borrow one of their courses ODE( ordinary Differential Equation) for 2nd year. na that time I started respecting mathematics students, even ones DAT graduated with 2.2
But make I no lie 80% of unn guys Sabi book.

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by vickydevoka(m): 11:43pm On Mar 04, 2021
BananaPeel:

First class in Mathematics �� It's like having first class in Chemistry.
Chemistry is 10% harder in unn

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by vickydevoka(m): 11:44pm On Mar 04, 2021
BananaPeel:

First class in Mathematics �� It's like having first class in Chemistry.
Chemistry is 10 x harder in unn.
Mathematics is 10 x harder in unijos

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by vickydevoka(m): 12:07am On Mar 05, 2021
Sterope:
They probably have better lecturers but the Nigerian in you must find an alternative explanation to hardwork and brilliance. I wonder what is stopping you from switching to those courses in UNN..

Finally I switched from mechanical to economics. Shame no gree me enter civil bcus na same faculty
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by raumdeuter: 12:41am On Mar 05, 2021
Kudos to Jarus and Michael Taiwo
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by raumdeuter: 12:42am On Mar 05, 2021
Jarus:
Happy to be part of this and on the 3-man scholarship interview panel that first discovered him.

We struggled to fight back tears while interviewing him - his condition despite his brilliance.

Send my regards to Michael Taiwo

2 Likes

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Moneyearners: 1:02am On Mar 05, 2021
Ok
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Metrofox(m): 2:49am On Mar 05, 2021
InventTech:

Mathematics, Stupid?

Leave the Mumu
Maths : Grandmother of science
Physics: Mother of science

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Metrofox(m): 2:52am On Mar 05, 2021
CelestineNelson:
Wow..I celebrate this with all humility... Thank God for his life...I tap into this Grace... My testimony will also hit Nairaland in a great way

Amen but don't forget the trials/tribulations that come with that grace grin grin
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by ModestGal(f): 4:51am On Mar 05, 2021
Jarus:

Wow, you are so lucky to have met him, I wish to know him as well. We have many Nigerians like this wasting away
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Nobody: 7:16am On Mar 05, 2021
raumdeuter:
Kudos to Jarus and Michael Taiwo

Thanks bro
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by Maycash89(m): 7:21am On Mar 05, 2021
Keziehenry:

https://www.thecable.ng/from-farm-to-classroom-nworie-first-class-mathematician-bags-ph-d-scholarship-in-us
Congratulation to the young mathematician in the making, but what profit a man when you have gone through the highest education in the world to possess PhD certificate which has no eternal value, but today the Lord has restore the Kingdom Education to the man;this is the Education which Adam was receiving in the beginning, but devil knowns that if Adam was able to complete this Education;the man will rule and subdue the him(devil)
That why devil make man to fall,so the kingdom education was taken away from the man,it is in the Kingdom Education that a man possess life eternal, not in secular education.
Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by DivineTurnAroun(f): 8:10am On Mar 05, 2021
[color=#000099][/color]
Jarus:

Thanks.

We really did not help when "when we heard of the news", we put it out to the press AFTER helping him. We only wanted to call the attention of the media to the sorry wasting talents in Nigeria, that was why we decided to reach out to the press to publicise his story. His story was exceptionally touching. At some point, we his interviewers were practically crying and the American on the panel was wondering why - she couldn't relate to the level of poverty oozing from this young man we were interviewing.

Alongside my childhood friend, Michael Taiwo, now a US-based engineer and sponsor of the Michael Taiwo Graduate School Application Scholarship, we organised a scholarship scheme in Oct last year (https://www.jarushub.com/2020-michael-taiwo-annual-gmat-gre-toefl-scholarships-application/) and he applied.

After series of screening, including tests, he was one of the finalists for the final interview stage. I was on the 3-man panel that interviewed him. It was a touching moment as we struggled to fight back tears during his interview as we got to know about his poor background. I narrated the experience in this tweet ( https://twitter.com/Jarushub/status/1324108985671274498) and Michael, my partner on the panel and the sponsor, also narrated his own here ( https://www.jarushub.com/rage-sadness-gratitude-and-hope-an-interview-to-remember/)

Of course, he was one of the 23 applicants that won the scholarship (https://www.mtscholarships.org/meet-the-winners/2020-winners/) from the over 1500 that applied (out of which over 600 made first class). The scholarship covered payment for his GRE test, English test, application fee to US schools, and as added later, payment for international passport for him.

His performance in all those tests got him this US admission with the guidance of Michael and another friend of Michael, Busayo.

That's the story.

We invited the press to cover it (not the other way round) because it was a very sorry situation - not that we heard about the case in the press and took over it.

thank you so much. God bless you

1 Like

Re: Emmanuel Nworie, First-Class Mathematician & Farmer Bags PhD Scholarship by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 10:51am On Mar 05, 2021
Kebbiprince:
From Grass to Grace

From an Ebonyi farm to the USA. Sometimes it takes just luck to end generational poverty

Nworie has been liberated, be sure he has no business with poverty anymore
There is nothing like luck...... It's preparedness meet opportunity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad / Throwback Photo Of A Classroom In Nigeria In The 1950s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.