Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s (14278 Views)

Man Arrested With Cache Of Weapons: Ak-47s, Pump Action Gun, English Pistol / VIDEO: Armed Fulani Herdsmen With Ak-47s Chanting "Sai Baba Buhari" / Man Carrying AK-47 Rifle In Owerri (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 05, 2021
By Joseph Jibueze, Adebisi Onanuga, Robert Egbe, Tajudeen Adebanjo, Uja Emmanuel, Makurdi and AbdulGafar Alabelewe, Kaduna

SANs fault Presidential directive•ARG: a blanket order is open to abuse

Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom and the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) have given full backing to the directive by President Muhammadu Buhari that bandits bearing AK-47 should be shot on sight.

The governor said the measure will reduce banditry, clashes between herders and farmers and other forms of criminality.

The Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG) urged caution.

Senior lawyers contacted by our correspondents kicked against the order for being contrary to the law and might lead to unintended consequences.

All of them agree that it is illegal for anybody to carry an AK-47 rifle unless he is a security operative.

Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President Garba Shehu told the BBC Hausa Service in an interview aired on Wednesday that the order showed the seriousness with which the government was taking banditry, kidnapping and other acts of terror.

“What can be stronger than the fact that the President has directed the operatives to shoot anyone seen with dangerous weapons like AK-47, on sight, in as much as the person is not a security operative?

“Government is doing this with all seriousness. The President equally directed that the security (operatives) should go after them and kill them except they lay down their arms,” Shehu added.

Ortom, speaking yesterday at the Government House Makurdi when he hosted the Chairman Governing Board, Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Prof Adamu Kyuka, said: “I wish to commend Mr President for his recent order against those bearing AK-47 rifles. This I am sure will reduce the high rate of criminality, banditry and militia herdsmen attacks on our farming communities.

“I don’t only criticise, I also commend where necessary. And I want to say it is a shame on those psychopaths who were bashing me for writing to Mr President because he has finally heeded my advice.”

The ACF said the security situation required extreme measure to curb, pointing out that AK-47, being a dangerous assault rifle, should not be handled by unauthorised persons.

Its National Publicity Secretary Emmanuel Yawe said: “Though only lawyers can interpret the legality of the President’s order, that the President ordered people to be shot without trial is a legal issue.

“But we agree that there is a need for the extreme measure to curb the spread of arms like AK-47.

“Some governors are even arguing that people should be allowed to carry AK-47 and that is not right. They want the country to dissolve into anarchy. It is not right for private individuals to carry AK-47, which is known all over the world as a very dangerous assault rifle.

“Nigeria is not at war, so why should people carry AK47 freely? Even Dane guns, you need a licence to own it. In Nigeria, people just carry AK-47 freely and they kill people and nothing happens to them.

“The ACF welcomes the President’s order.”

Lawyers who faulted the President’s directive include Chief Ifedayo Adedipe, Seyi Sowemimo, Jibrin Okutepa, Ahmed Raji and Mr Chino Obiagwu (SAN), all Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs), as well as Jiti Ogunye.

Adedipe described the order as contrary to law.

He said: “Much as we are all concerned about insecurity in the country, I am afraid the President’s directive is wrong and frightening.

“This is because the directive to shoot presupposes that those allegedly bearing AK-47 have been found guilty of an offence whose penalty is death. I am afraid, that does not align with our legal system.

“You have to arrest and prosecute those bearing arms in a duly constituted court of law. To do otherwise is to follow the approach of President Rodrigo Dutrete of the Philippine in his fight against drug lords.

“Even without the presidential directive, our security agents are masters at shooting unarmed civilians. To be given Presidential order now will enable some of them to kill innocent people, and plant guns on them. That is scary.

“We need to do better than the bandits we are fighting. I sympathise with the President because his job is not easy in the present climate of insecurity.

“But those in charge of our security should develop a better solution, other than the one that can lead to the killing of innocent citizens.”

Okutepa advised those opposing the order to go to court.

Sowemimo said: “I think the President should not be speaking literarily. I don’t expect the President to say they should just be shot on sight.

“What he is suggesting is that the practice of carrying weapons without a license is unacceptable and that sanctions will be strictly meted out against those found with arms.”

He said he believed that the president was trying to tell bandits, kidnappers and other criminal elements that if they use weapons without a licence, they would be arrested and prosecuted.

Raji believes security operatives might find it difficult to identify the targets of the President’s order.

He said: “The question will be how to define a bandit. What are the characteristics of a bandit? How do you recognise one when you see him? What if he is carrying another variant of weapon as deadly as AK 47? Is it about the nature of particular arms or the person? These are some of the issues agitating the minds before there can be any meaningful contributions to the debate.

“If you shoot ‘bandits’ bearing AK-47, what do you do with those giving them the rifles? Should the effect be treated without attention to the cause?”

Okutepa, who declined to analyse the President’s order, referred anyone confused by or opposed to it to seek judicial relief.

“Only the court can say whether he is right or wrong,” Okutepa said.

Obiagwu, National Coordinator of Legal Defense Assistance Project (LEDAP), said: “For such an order to emanate from The Presidency, there should be an Executive Order that will dispel the Police Regulation. Remember the Police Regulation has a procedure for disarming an armed person.

“If the President wants to waive that provision of the Police Regulation which was made under Police Act, but which he can suspend, he has to issue an Executive Order saying for the issue of security, this is the position.”

According to him, the order “did not come directly from the President.”

He argued that if the person refuses to surrender the arms, the law does not automatically authorise security agents to kill that person.

Ogunye also disagreed with the shoot-on-sight order.

He said in a post on his Facebook wall, said: “Shoot AK-47 gun carriers on sight? No. Illegal possession of firearms does not attract a death penalty under our criminal law.

“Arrest AK-47 gun carriers and seize their weapons, and apply force, including lethal force, if they resist arrest or pose threat to lives of law enforcement agents? Big yes.”

National Chairman of Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG), Mr Wale Oshun, described the order as “delicate.”

“Let it not be a blanket order” else the police will seize the opportunity to deal with anyone found with a gun. If you have a Presidential order to shoot-on-sight, they will kill anybody with a gun. I hope it won’t be another cover for police excesses?”

Oshun added: “Nobody has a right to carry AK-47; it is meant for security people; but ordering police to shoot anyone with it is not the solution. They will just be killing people. Let the police disarm anyone with AK-47 and charge him to court. You can’t give the police the powers of a prosecutor, a judge and an executioner.”

Ndudi Elumelu, minority leader of the House of Representatives, said: “The statement credited to the media aide to Mr President is a welcome development. I would have preferred Mr President by himself to have made that order”.

“I will like him to condemn outright the activities of the herdsmen. They are everywhere, messing up all the communities, attacking people, because some people are very fanatical and they will want to hear him speak.“
https://thenationonlineng.net/governor-acf-back-order-to-shoot-bandits-with-ak-47/

3 Likes

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by MickzyDonald: 6:36am On Mar 05, 2021
see his head

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:38am On Mar 05, 2021
In other words, if killer herdsmen decides to upgrade from AK47 to AK49, RPG, MI16 they won't be shot at??

To be frank with you, Buhari has finished that little peace we've been managing in Nigeria

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Anigreat: 6:39am On Mar 05, 2021
shocked

They have heard

They think Buhari is a fool for giving such command, before he utters such words, he has millions of plan for his Terrorist brother.

Fulani Madmen will upgrade to MI16, and you dare not shoot them, because the chief terrorist say they should shoot them only when the see them with AK47.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by IPOBTERRORISTS(f): 6:45am On Mar 05, 2021
grin funny order. As if the bandits have toy AK47.
They don't have the balls to declare War on Bandits. "bandits bearing AK-47 should be shot on sight" Seriously! like they will not shoot at the securities first or they will not return fire. Mtwss

11 Likes

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by chatinent: 6:47am On Mar 05, 2021
Only in Nigeria poor herdsmen use AK-47 for safety and hunting.

Same rifle used by the country's military.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Highbeepeeh(m): 6:51am On Mar 05, 2021
How I wish Nigeria could desist from using QUR'AN and Bible to swore in President and Governors...

If they can opt for the Traditional way, Nigeria could have been better than Dubai in economy standard by far.

Make anybody embezzle money anyhow if Ogun no go embezzle he life anyhow

Ogun oni PA WA o

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by NaijaFutbol: 6:54am On Mar 05, 2021
Lip service

Gumi is there with their coordinates and you guys are telling us rubbish.

Thunder faya anyone supporting them

5 Likes

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by pennywys(m): 6:54am On Mar 05, 2021
cheesy

Lies

Wahala for who don't know that the same funlani herders are the Nigerian forces
They won't carry out the order on their caliphate bandits members

Pa Buhari just make the statement for public sake, him too is an herder and a senior bandit too.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:54am On Mar 05, 2021
He noted that President Buhari had done the right thing by listening to the calls he and other concerned Nigerians made on the need for the Federal Government to act faster and decisively to save the country from degenerating to a state of anarchy.

“I don't only criticise, I also commend where necessary. And I want to say shame on those psychopaths who were bashing me for writing to Mr. President because he has finally heeded my advice," the Governor noted.
Nothing to be added.
Nigeria will win this war.
Peace shall reign in our nation whether the evil ones like it or not.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 05, 2021
A problem half solved

Though government should know that their major weapon is machete

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Wickedfacts: 6:54am On Mar 05, 2021
These fools just keep fooling themselves.

1 Like

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:54am On Mar 05, 2021
zolajpower:
Rubbish
Auxtin85:
Na audio

Listen to the voice of an elder below who sees while sitting what you can never ever see even if you climb an Iroko Tree!
Do the bolded and watch as you progress to greater heights in life.

“I don't only criticise, I also commend where necessary
. And I want to say shame on those psychopaths who were bashing me for writing to Mr. President because he has finally heeded my advice," the Governor noted.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by aleeyus(m): 6:55am On Mar 05, 2021
meanwhile

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by FreeSpirited: 6:55am On Mar 05, 2021
This order can not be enforced. Buhari himself knows this. It's just a distraction tactics, another futile way to placate Nigerians who are tired of the menace of herdsmen without the government appearing of doing nothing.
The order is like telling a neighborhood ravaged by cultists that the people should shoot any cultist they find with gun..lol. How is that realistic? How many cultist walk visibly with gun even though we all know they own guns. isn't such order ridiculous if that's the measure put in place to rid off cultism?
Another question is who are to shoot the cultist or criminals on sight? Is it the general populace who don't own or know how to shoot guns?
Is there any police or security outfit specifically designated to scan for cultist, or in this case , to scan the bush for herdsmen weilding AK47 in order to enforce this order? Do you expect herdsmen to brandish their AK47 in public space on hearing this order, cos we know police won't go to the bush to hunt for them..so how is it going to be enforced then?
Nigeria is just full of rubbish and deception. And some dull-brained citizens can't see through the lies and mere distraction of this order.

1 Like

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Lashist(m): 6:55am On Mar 05, 2021
Is this also what they call taqqiya? cheesy
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by SoftP(m): 6:55am On Mar 05, 2021
What a funny headline- someone carrying AK47; was he having intentions to pluck mango with it?

the President have secretly ordered them to shoot anyone before they gets shot.

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by rawtouch: 6:55am On Mar 05, 2021
angry

only herdsmen
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by DesChyko: 6:55am On Mar 05, 2021
sad
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Racoon(m): 6:56am On Mar 05, 2021
Guess they all know on whose heads the directive will start from? Let's not start hearing that the military is committing genocide when heads start rolling.
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by heckymaicon(m): 6:56am On Mar 05, 2021
In the North, South/West or East?

President Malami is a mad man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by heckymaicon(m): 6:57am On Mar 05, 2021
post=99618936:
Kill them all

Hypocrite

1 Like

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:57am On Mar 05, 2021
RENOWNED northern Islamic scholar, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, said if government could pardon coup plotters that committed treasonable felony, there was nothing wrong extending the same gesture to bandits.

The Islamic cleric, while responding to the Christian Association of Nigeria in Kaduna on Thursday, said there was need to forgive bandits for the country to have peace.

Gumi added, “Even those that instigated civil war, the civil war that millions of people died, were pardoned. I see no reason why we cannot accept their (bandits) repentance and give them amnesty.”
Can you just imagine this

It is out officially......
Now the truth is coming out gradually.
The sponsors of Boko Haram are being unmasked in our eyes.

“I am beginning to think that my brother, the governor of Bauchi State is part of the terrorist Fulani organisation that is terrorising this country,” Ortom said while addressing journalists in Makurdi, Benue State capital.

“Why do I say this? This is the same governor who took the oath of office to protect the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. This constitution does not leave room for allowing foreign herdsmen to come in without valid papers,” he added.

Let the investigation into this begin in earnest.....
All sponsors and enabler of all the terrorist organizations in our darling country, from this evil Boko Boys, to bandits, Igbos terrorists organization, evil fulani herdsmen must all be fished out.
They will all never know peace as long as it is sorrow, tears and blood they want flowing in our nation.....along with their evil supporters.

Peace shall reign in our nation.
God bless Nigeria

Tetehjewels:
LET IT BE NOTED THAT BALA MOHAMMED WHO HAPPENS TO BE THE GOVERNOR OF BAUCHI STATE IS A HIGH RANKING PDP MEMBER.

PDP AND TERRORISM ARE 5 AND 6
The evil party brought this evil Boko Haram into our darling nation.
They looted all the millions of dollars budgeted for procuring arms for our military among themselves,
Arms that could have helped us to kill all these animal terrorists in their budding days, but NO, the looting party stole all the money and put us in this mess we are as a nation.
May anyone involved in all the violence never end well in life, they will all die painfully.
Along with those supporting them.
(Watch hypocrites, children of hate and perdition run away (as usual) without saying Amen to this innocent prayers by demMANNA)
Hypocrisy is in their blood!!

No be Curse,
Na FACT!

Tetehjewels:

They know they did. They have never stopped too. This recent and crazy killing spree by so called bandits has their name written all over it. They feel that if APC could win Presidency because the nation was in security jeopardy they can also use the same technique to wrest power from APC.

As far as I am concerned they are responsible for all the mess currently happening because if memory serves me well in the leaked memo Atiku was given by his foreign consultant during the run up to the last presidential elections one of the options he was given which would enable him win was to create serious unrest in the nation and the recent increase in attacks and killings to me is a clear indicator to this as 2023 is fast approaching
This is nothing but the whole truth of the matter.
Your memory served you pretty well and clear.
Same memory you, we and other sane Nigerians that do not suffer from collective amnesia have.

Cc Simplyleo,
Mahogany,
Omenkalives,
SilverNorGold and all other sane Nairalanders too numerous to mention....

Modify :
We notice that most of the frustrated losers that quote our every post on this forum day in day out, have all seen this post and images, but we are surprised not to see any quote or mention from any of them after 3 hours of posting this.
Hypocritical and willfully brainwashed wicked souls.

More images below.......

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:57am On Mar 05, 2021
More and more details and pictures below.......
Children of hate, frustrations and perdition, AKA Enemies of the nation are perplexed scratching their empty heads by now....
Brainwashed fouls.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Welrez(m): 6:58am On Mar 05, 2021
As if it will be implemented!
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by KEVIND: 6:58am On Mar 05, 2021
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by sammyj: 7:00am On Mar 05, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by eagleonearth(m): 7:00am On Mar 05, 2021
The art of human management is the hardest. My own take here is that the executive, legislative and judiciary have to agree on an effective and legal order inorder to curb this banditry and insecurity bedeviling the polity. That's what they are paid for, let everyone get to work and brainstorm.

1 Like

Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by Triangles1(m): 7:01am On Mar 05, 2021
Just speechless on this clueless directive from PMB, this order of shoot at sight will affect the innocent civilians more because the ACF are not train to hold arm, why not strengthen the military and police to tackle them.

This are Jihadist received adequate training from Mali, Somalia, does causing atrocities are not Nigeria Fulani, is there no Fulani in Ilorin.
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by sylve11: 7:02am On Mar 05, 2021
Hmmm
Re: ACF Back Order To Shoot Herdsmen Carrying AK-47s by BlessedNuel: 7:03am On Mar 05, 2021
Seen and noted

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bandits Kill 7 Security Officers Including DPO In Niger State / Uche Ogah Dedicates Victory To All Abians (Video) / Motorcycle Thief Caught By Anti-Cult Volunteer Corps, Ika Unit, Delta (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.