Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,647 members, 7,782,120 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 09:51 AM

From The Forest To My Space - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / From The Forest To My Space (283 Views)

3 Times China Turned Deserts Into Complete Forest Areas / The $140 Million 'spaceship House' In A Russian Forest. / NDU Students Escaping From Amassoma Through Forest And River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

From The Forest To My Space by LebanonCedars2(m): 9:40am On Mar 05, 2021
FUN FACT; WOODS ARE GOTTEN FROM TREES AND TREES ARE FOUND IN THE FOREST.
Many of us are familiar with all kinds of furniture but in reality, not many of us are familiar with the raw materials put together to make up this furniture. While others may even think this article only concerns those who put this furniture together. It actually concerns you if you want to go for quality items. This article is designed to give you an insight into the creation world of FURNITURE.
Some woods last longer than the other, that is why you not only have to go for the wood that fits the specification of the furniture you desire, but also lasting quality wood which is an investment on your money and also would help you maintain style along with its durability. The type of furniture you are making determines the type of wood that will be put into use. We have two major types of woods; the hardwood and the softwood. Even though some might want to look the same, they differ in texture and quality. Some of these woods come in natural warmth and beauty which is perfect for furniture making and decoration.
HARDWOODS are strong and have their high density that is why most times, it is preferable to softwood especially in furniture making. They are extracted from broad-leafed trees. Its stability has made it the number one type of wood that can be used in house constructions and furniture making. This type of woods is durable and less likely to rot so they often do not require lot of maintenance. But it is important to note that not all hardwoods are suitable for furniture making.
To be continued tommorow... Anticipate

Re: From The Forest To My Space by LebanonCedars2(m): 9:03am On Mar 08, 2021
Continuation of From Forest to My Space....
SOFTWOODS are products of evergreen seed bearing trees such as conifers and cone bearing trees. 80% of all timbers comes from this wood. It is light weight and easy to use. Because of its lack vessels, it easily absorbs adhesives while giving the work a fine finishing. Most people go for this type of wood for scaffolding, interior and exterior wall clad fittings, structural frames, and plywood making and some of them can be used for home furniture making.
To be continued....

Re: From The Forest To My Space by LebanonCedars2(m): 12:55pm On Mar 11, 2021
FROM FOREST TO MY SPACE {Continuation}

TYPES OF WOODS FOR HOME AND OFFICE FURNITURE

1. ASH WOOD (HARDWOOD): This is a light-coloured hardwood and the trees are medium to large trees. Asides the fact that it is very economical, it’s

used for beautiful modern woodwork. Even though it is rigid (strong), it is also bendable (flexible) and perfect for nailing. There is a moderately

unpleasant smell that comes from the wood when it is being worked on. There have been reports of how the ash wood is being affected by the

emerald ash borer beetle but the ash lumber is still out there in great quantity. It can be used to make cabinets, tool handles, millwork, boxes/crates,

doors and in most cases for flooring as replacement for tiles. In the absence of red oak, ash wood can be used as replacement. Because of its bending

abilities, it is primarily used for bent pieces of furniture such as curved backrest chairs. It comes in various sizes in the Nigerian wood market.

Re: From The Forest To My Space by LebanonCedars2(m): 12:27pm On Mar 15, 2021
FROM FOREST TO MY SPACE CONTINUATION

BLACK WALNUT WOOD (HARDWOOD): It is regarded as one of the most uniquely valuable hardwoods in the market which is durable and also resistant

to decay. This wood has a mild odour under processing which faints away when the work is finished on it. The walnut wood is light weight so it is often

used for small wooden objects, cabinetry, furniture and interior panelling. Its colour ranges from dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks to

lighter pale brown. For a perfect look, the finishing should be done with oil based polyurethane.

(To be continued.)

Re: From The Forest To My Space by LebanonCedars2(m): 10:17am On Mar 16, 2021
FROM FOREST TO MY SPACE {Continuation}

CHERRY WOOD (HARDWOOD): it comes in either deeper reddish-brown or light brown and is mostly preferable for making desk. It is popular for its

colour change; the colour is known to change with time as it becomes darker. The wood becomes rich as it ages over time this is one of the factors that

helps it become resistant to decay and rotting. It is often used for flooring, cabinetry, doors and fine furniture. In terms of rigidity (strength), it is

moderately strong and has medium resistance to shock. Cherry wood is ideal for making curved designs and other type of woodworks such as musical

instruments, panelling, flooring, millwork, furniture and small wooden items.

To be continued....

Re: From The Forest To My Space by LebanonCedars2(m): 9:02am On Mar 19, 2021
From Forest to my Space (Continuation)

YEW WOOD (SOFTWOOD): Yew is a

durable wood with medium resistant to

insect attack. The heartwood comes in

orange-brown to dark brown. This wood is

soft and moderately heavy. It is often used

for making musical instrument, carving,

cabinet and making furniture.

To be continued

(1) (Reply)

Being A Medical Doctor In Italy / Is Geology Caurse That Lucrative In Labour Market? / FAQ: Do I Need An Education Agent To Study Abroad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.