Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition (5269 Views)

“Any Girl Who Asks You For Transport Money Is A Useless Girl” – Pastor Mildred / Is Belief In Jesus Enough For Salvation? / "Water Baptism Is A Useless Practice" Says Pastor Abel Damina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Ihedinobi3: 3:24pm On Mar 07, 2021
LordReed:
1. If a god exists, belief or lack thereof does nothing to change the situation.

2. If a god exists and is the source of all morality but yet you can adhere to the morality without belief then belief adds nothing to the equation.

Going by these to points above I am inclined to say belief in god is useless.

I could add more to this as time goes on but I'd be happy to hear your view.

Hello LordReed.

In so far as "belief" refers to a mental assent, that is, to a mental acknowledgment of something as true, I completely agree with you. Even the Bible holds a similar position as the passage in James 2:19-20 demonstrates.

Faith, however, that is, biblical faith is not mere belief. It is the choice to submit to God's Authority by listening to and obeying Jesus Christ that counts as biblical faith.

So, while it makes no difference to our eternal status or even our visible behavior whether we believe that God exists or not, it makes a world of difference whether we are willing to submit to His Authority expressed in Jesus Christ.

People who believe in Jesus Christ, that is, who choose to trust His leadership and follow Him and who do so consistently and faithfully will both have eternal life and also experience real, permanent change in their behavior in this world.

The primary difference between the moral behavior of an unbeliever and a believer is first of all an invisible one in the heart. You might even call it a difference of philosophy. That is, the believer and the unbeliever may do the same things for different reasons.

A secondary difference is that even the "moralistic" unbeliever is going to find that his behavior is at the very least subtly different from that of the believer who is serious about following Christ. So, some of the same things that they would be doing would look quite different when they are examined closely.

In short, I agree that a mental assent is meaningless but I also believe that biblical faith is not mental assent, and it is everything.

1 Like

Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

Then such a person like you shouldn't have a problem for the existence of matter-less beings, matter-less universes and matter-less objects.

For you, atheism is just a CHOICE!
I didn't choose to be an atheist.
I am just an atheist.
I didn't choose to be born in Nigeria.
I am just a Nigerian.
I don't think there are matterless universes or matterless beings.
But there are matterless objects or objects outside this universe.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by budaatum: 3:48pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I am totally different from those people you are referring to.

I would continue to hope you remain different to those people I have referred you to.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 4:09pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I didn't choose to be an atheist.
I am just an atheist.
I didn't choose to be born in Nigeria.
I am just a Nigerian.
I don't think there are matterless universes or matterless beings.
But there are matterless objects or objects outside this universe.
You made your choice!
No one wakes up to have a religion or to be Religionless.

Take responsibility for your life and eternity
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 4:15pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

You made your choice!
No one wakes up to have a religion or to be Religionless.

Take responsibility for your life and eternity
No one wakes up to choose to have no faith!!!!
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 4:24pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

No one wakes up to choose to have no faith!!!!
Your choice is made from the day you get to know and comprehend that there is an entity called God the Creator
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

Your choice is made from the day you get to know and comprehend that there is an entity called God the Creator

I actually got to know there is no God.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 4:29pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I actually got to know there is no God.
Either way your choice and call to accept or reject such a knowlege.

In your case, your CHOICE was to accept the notion that God doesn't exist!

You could have chosen otherwise
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

Either way your choice and call to accept or reject such a knowlege.

In your case, your CHOICE was to accept the notion that God doesn't exist!

You could have chosen otherwise
It is impossible to reject knowledge.
I didn't have to accept anything.
The faith I had in God just disappeared.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 4:34pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

It is impossible to reject knowledge.
I didn't have to accept anything.
The faith I had in God just disappeared.
It's still a choice!

You could have sought after knowlege and you would have found
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

It's still a choice!

You could have sought after knowlege and you would have found
The knowledge of God doesn't exist.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 5:38pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Your choice, your call!
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by budaatum: 5:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I don't describe Gods because I don't think they exist.

You don't think Gods exist? Sounds like you are aware that you can think Gods into existence.

Do you understand what is meant by the word "God"?
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by budaatum: 5:44pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Really? There is no knowledge about God?
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Image123(m): 6:01pm On Mar 07, 2021
Someone that is struggling with knowledge of basic science and computer programming language concludes that the knowledge of God doesn't exist. Comedians everywhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by xproducer: 7:47pm On Mar 07, 2021
LordReed:
1. If a god exists, belief or lack thereof does nothing to change the situation.

2. If a god exists and is the source of all morality but yet you can adhere to the morality without belief then belief adds nothing to the equation.

Going by these to points above I am inclined to say belief in god is useless.

I could add more to this as time goes on but I'd be happy to hear your view.

-----

GOD says that belief in HIM/JESUS the CHRIST is the way to escape damnation for sin (John 3:15-16, John 14:1, John 17:20, Acts 10:43, Romans 9:33, etc)... and you say the opposite... shall one then believe you?

"Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar..." (Romans 3:4)

Human beings were created in the image of GOD (Genesis 1:27), and despite the fall and separation of man from GOD in Eden onward (but for His reconciling many of us back to Himself in and through the Person of the Lord JESUS the CHRIST)... humans still bear the laws of GOD internally, which is why we generally know good and bad, right from wrong!

"...for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel." - Romans 2:14-16

Morality is good and is encouraged (we show our GOD given faith to believe in Him/The Lord JESUS by our works), but to rely on one's own morality to be good enough to be before and dwell with the holy GOD, is a huge mistake and will only bring destruction.

Human beings need salvation from death (the second death - Revelation 21:8 )... our works without the faith and righteousness of CHRIST are just not enough!

"But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away." - Isaiah 64:6

------
"But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." - James 2:18
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

Your choice, your call!
I didn't choose to exist amidst the absence of the knowledge of God.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 07, 2021
Image123:
Someone that is struggling with knowledge of basic science and computer programming language concludes that the knowledge of God doesn't exist. Comedians everywhere.

Even the Bible can't make this logical.
This is pure nonsense.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 07, 2021
budaatum:

Even Google has nothing logical concerning God.
No book has anything logical concerning God.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 07, 2021
budaatum:

You don't think Gods exist? Sounds like you are aware that you can think Gods into existence.

Do you understand what is meant by the word "God"?
The word *God* has no logical definition.
So,there is nothing about it to be understood.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 07, 2021
budaatum:

Eminem said he's the Rap God.
In other words,he felt he's supreme in the rap world.
But if Hell Victorinho releases a rap song in which he describes Eminem's career as something with less for his gullible fans,people will debate the validity of his statement.
The 15-16 Grammys will become less valuable than a line.
If anyone disagrees,I will just consider the person a brainwashed zombie that I shouldn't please.
I will choose the beat that I want to use towards the DISSpleasure of other rappers.
Then,state that none of them can rap towards hurting me because I don't care about the money they have made.
I only care about the amount of money that their fans have lost.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 8:32pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I didn't choose to exist amidst the absence of the knowledge of God.
You chose the KNOWLEDGE of the absence of God!

It's your CHOICE!
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

You chose the KNOWLEDGE of the absence of God!

It's your CHOICE!
False.
You can't determine what I choose unless it is something I can choose.
There are things I can't choose.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 8:46pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

False.
You can't determine what I choose unless it is something I can choose.
There are things I can't choose.
You are educated enough to be aware of the words "Atheism" and "Theism"!

You describe yourself as "Atheist" meaning you don't describe yourself as a "Theist"!

You have your reasons: you made your CHOICE!
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

You are educated enough to be aware of the words "Atheism" and "Theism"!

You describe yourself as "Atheist" meaning you don't describe yourself as a "Theist"!

You have your reasons: you made your CHOICE!
I describe myself as an atheist because of what happened to me.
I didn't choose to experience it.
I experienced the reality of the absence of God.
In fact, nobody can determine the picture of God.
Nobody can determine the size of God.
So, nobody is aware of God.
Ultimately,God remains nowhere.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by shadeyinka(m): 8:56pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

The fact that you describe yourself as an atheist means it's your choice!

No one labelled you as an atheist. You did!
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 07, 2021
shadeyinka:

The fact that you describe yourself as an atheist means it's your choice!

No one labelled you as an atheist. You did!
I chose to call myself an atheist because I don't think there's any God.
Did you choose to be a Nigerian?
We call ourselves humans but we didn't choose to be born as humans.
Ultimately, you can't choose your thoughts because they happen by chance.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by jmoore(m): 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

You are using 'Nobody'. When did you become 'everybody'?

Most of you Nigerian atheists have very poor critical thinking. Why not limit your experience to yourself only.

Smh
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2021
jmoore:

You are using 'Nobody'. When did you become 'everybody'?

Most of you Nigerian atheists have very poor critical thinking. Why not limit your experience to yourself only.

Smh
Rubbish!!!!
Draw God if you can or shut up!!!!!!
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by jmoore(m): 9:21pm On Mar 07, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Rubbish!!!!
Draw God if you can or shut up!!!!!!

You are highly ignorant.

You said "Nobody is aware of God".

It's very dumb to only use sight to believe in something.

You can be aware of something without seeing it.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 07, 2021
jmoore:

You are highly ignorant.

Draw God or shut up!
I don't care about what you have seen or not seen.
Re: Discussion: Belief In God Is A Useless Proposition by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 07, 2021
jmoore:

You are highly ignorant.

If you are aware of God as an object,then you should be able to draw it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atheist Christian: / Athiesm The "No God" Religion / Has Anyone Actually Seen A Demon Before?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.