Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,798 members, 7,806,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances (35492 Views)

90% Of 2023 Diaspora Remittances Didn’t Get To Nigeria — Oyedele / Diversion Of Diaspora Remittances To Black Market Weakens Naira - CBN / Naira-4-dollar Scheme Ends May 8, Banks Tell Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by ogbonti: 4:53pm On Mar 06, 2021
Bampeh:
This will strengthen the naira a bit. The market will be flooded with dollars and people will not be willing to buy dollar for keeping sake.

who is that Nigerian loving overseas that will be motivated to send more more because of N5 incentive for every $1 ? Anyone who can send $1,000 sees nothing attractive on 5,000 naira

This is all motion no movement- yeye government!

Bampeh is an economist
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by SeaTrade(m): 4:54pm On Mar 06, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Bros you are writing nonsense.

First and foremost, naira is already trading at 470/475 at the black market since last month

The promo is to encourage people abroad to send more dollars so that people looking for dollars at home can have more international trade.
You are very dull.
It's to reduce the price of the dollar(strengthening the naira) ,that is the priority.
Who cares about international trade for illegals?
You think the CBN cares about anything but strengthening the naira?dumbass.
And where has aboki been selling dollars for 475?I'll like to buy,dunce.
You dont even know there is a price difference between buy/sell at aboki shop.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by ogbonti: 4:54pm On Mar 06, 2021
Bampeh:
This will strengthen the naira a bit. The market will be flooded with dollars and people will not be willing to buy dollar for keeping sake.

Bampeh is an economist

who is that Nigerian living overseas that will be motivated to send more money because of N5 incentive for every $1 ? Anyone who can send $1,000 sees nothing attractive in 5,000 naira

This is all motion no movement- yeye government!

4 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 06, 2021
Exodora:

And you can't explain without being rude .Wow a man indeed .
I wouldn't want anyone to spoil my day . I didn't read it before quoting and there was no way I could cancel . You can find where asked how much I would receive for $300
Next time don't quote if you know you will display only but stupidity .

Anyway, try to read and understand next time before you comment.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by einsteine(m): 4:57pm On Mar 06, 2021
Opportunity to cash out. Send money to Nigeria. Collect the CBN giveaway. Return it abroad. Send it again. On and on and on.

6 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by einsteine(m): 4:58pm On Mar 06, 2021
Foolishbuhari:

You're wrong my friend. The CBN hopes Nigerians will for the sake of patriotism, send dollars through the bank, then collect dollars at their fraudulent exchange rate of ₦410/$, so they will give you a ₦5 compensation for being a good boy. They claim if you want to be paid in dollars, the banks could remit in dollars to you. They have forgotten Nigerian banks are corrupt and will tell you no dollars and you'd be forced to collect payout at their silly rates.

They also forget if you get the dollars through your usual way, you could simply move it to black market and get better rates for it.

It's just another silly policy somersault they didn’t think through

Read it carefully. You won't be forced to change your dollar at 410. You will be allowed to withdraw or transfer your dollars as the case may be
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2021
SeaTrade:
You are very dull.
It's to reduce the price of the dollar(strengthening the naira) ,that is the priority.
Who cares about international trade for illegals?
You think the CBN cares about anything but strengthening the naira?dumbass.
And where has aboki been selling dollars for 475?I'll like to buy,dunce.
You dont even know there is a price difference between buy/sell at aboki shop.

Dummy, we all know it is to strengthen the naira but the main aim here is to encourage people abroad to send more dollars.

If you buy naira regularly, you will know that it is 475 to dollar, as at last month, it was 470, middle of last month it was 460, in December, it was 480.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2021
einsteine:
Opportunity to cash out. Send money to Nigeria. Collect the CBN giveaway. Return it abroad. Send it again. On and on and on.

It is a loss because of interbank and swift charges

4 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by redsun(m): 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Bros you are writing nonsense.

First and foremost, naira is already trading at 470/475 at the black market since last month

The promo is to encourage people abroad to send more dollars so that people looking for dollars at home can have more international trade.

It's counterproductive. It will have a negative impact if end up having hyper inflation in the country because high dollar exchange rate. I think the only people that will benefit immensely from it will be money launderers that have little to lose either way.

The only way forward for the country is to become productive by manage its natural resources shrewdly.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by tit(f): 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2021
onoms4luv:
so for every 1 dollar, I will be charge 5naira. this country Sha, that emefiele of a person na only to extortion he Sabi?

For every dollar you send to the jungle, you get a dollar + 5 naira
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Ahasco(m): 5:02pm On Mar 06, 2021
CodeTemplar:
Rubbish initiative. After maintaining two rates with a wide difference, they want to use N5 of the remitter's money as a bait to corner the dollar.

Please enlighten me on this. The motive behind it, and why in layman's term, thank you
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Ahasco(m): 5:04pm On Mar 06, 2021
GamalNasser:

Just imagine the fraud

Please shed more light on the fraud aspect, the motive, reason and why they all of a sudden brought this up.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 06, 2021
redsun:

It's counterproductive. It will have a negative impact if end up having hyper inflation in the country because high dollar exchange rate. I think the only people that will benefit immensely from it will be money launderers that have little to lose either way.

The only way forward for the country is to become productive and manage its natural resources shrewdly.

You are right in a way but not every one receives money from abroad, the reality is very few people receive dollars in Nigeria, the bulk of dollars entering this countryis from fdi...so i don't see us getting hyper inflation
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Ahasco(m): 5:05pm On Mar 06, 2021
tit:

For every dollar you send to the jungle, you get a dollar + 5 naira

Which jungle or what jungle are you refering too?
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by billyG(m): 5:09pm On Mar 06, 2021
swtdrms:

Yes, you collect your dollar and still get N5 for each dollar sent to Nigeria
The banks will tell u dollars is not available for now come tomorrow...dollars is not available for now come tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by jibbish(m): 5:09pm On Mar 06, 2021
Illiterates full nairaland first page.
They don't understand a policy but keep talking rubbish.
The zeal just to drop comment and get likes has eroded good thinking

2 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by einsteine(m): 5:12pm On Mar 06, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

It is a loss because of interbank and swift charges

That's if you are doing small amounts. The charges on a million dollars will not be anywhere close to 5 million Naira which is what the CBN will be giving.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by nedekid: 5:14pm On Mar 06, 2021
Godarz:
Well, good idea

For those mocking the idea, the issue is the CBN has one mandate, and one mandate alone. DEFEND THE NAIRA AT ALL COSTS...and it does that by attracting dollars.

And the truth is oil prices are too low for Nigeria to earn sufficient dollars. Because Nigerians want price controls for everything, plus insecurity, and corruption, and bad leaders, investment is having a hard time coming in.

So, CBN has to resort to all kinds of methods to get dollars. The downside is that Nigerians won't be able to get dollars from abroad, and change to naira at the parallel rate...or higher rate, which to be honest is not fair...and N5 to $1 does not cover potential losses.

"And the truth is oil prices are too low for Nigeria to earn sufficient dollars"

When oil fell to less than $10 due to corona and glut, the said we did not have enough usd earnings and so naira devalued.
Crude oil has rocketed to $65 and climbing, should the naira not strengthen and appreciate in value? Instead we still hear complaints of not having enough earning even at $65.
Something tells me that if crude oil becomes $1k per barrel, naira will still depreciate and these recessionists we have as a government will still find excuses.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by jibbish(m): 5:14pm On Mar 06, 2021
[quote author=redsun post=99660936]

The only way forward for the country is to become productive by manage its natural resources shrewdly.

[quote]

Pls tell me how it would lead to hyper inflation... We have a large demand for dollar because of our dependent on foreign taste. The CBN has brought out one medium to increase dollar coming into the country which is going to be for a limited time till we shove up dollar within the system but your little economic knowledge feels it would cause hyperinflation.

Can someone bring in 100000 dollars without doing a legit business? Make Una dey use Una brain now
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by MummyD2020(f): 5:15pm On Mar 06, 2021
FalseProphet1:
I see that more than 70% of people reading this post have no idea what it means. This I have seen.

When you see, try and profer solution. Because without solution, your seeing is not useful
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by nedekid: 5:16pm On Mar 06, 2021
jibbish:
Illiterates full nairaland first page.
They don't understand a policy but keep talking rubbish.
The zeal just to drop comment and get likes has eroded good thinking
Kindly explain or enlighten the '' illiterates" on the front page.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 06, 2021
einsteine:

That's if you are doing small amounts. The charges on a million dollars will not be anywhere close to 5 million Naira which is what the CBN will be giving.

So you think you can just send money abroad like that without thinking about money laundering laws, home and abroad.

Transaction limit is 10k dollars private and 100k dollars for b2b

2 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by studentofTruth: 5:17pm On Mar 06, 2021
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by SeaTrade(m): 5:19pm On Mar 06, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Dummy, we all know it is to strengthen the naira but the main aim here is to encourage people abroad to send more dollars.

If you buy naira regularly, you will know that it is 475 to dollar, as at last month, it was 470, middle of last month it was 460, in December, it was 480.
Ode I was talking about buying dollar which was at 480 yesterday.
Mumu it is not to attract more remittance because nobody that wanted to send $10k will send $20k because you are giving 100k bonus,dumbass.
It is subsidy because aboki will also remove N5 from buying price because CBN is already offering you that,empty head.

1 Like

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by GamalNasser: 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2021
Ahasco:

Please shed more light on the fraud aspect, the motive, reason and why they all of a sudden brought this up.

They are obviously hoping to attract more dollars from Diasporans but trust those corrupt govt officials to start creating fictitious round tripping transactions just to to be making millions of 5 naira in a day ..trust me that's what will happen..if they could do it with Forex market and imported oil then this is a piece of cake to them
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by studentofTruth: 5:21pm On Mar 06, 2021
einsteine:

I agree with you. If truly the banks are doing the giveaway at #5 per $, with $20,000, someone is in a profitable to-and-fro business.

International transfers cost about $30 per transfer, so to and fro is $60 — let's say $70 (assuming any other charges). Every inflow of $20,000 gives you #100k from CBN, while your expenses is only $70 (#30-35k). You're in #65k profit per full trip!

Invariably, these dumb fellows, through this dumb policy, have created another means for their folks to milk the country more!

Even $10k can give you more than #30k per full trip.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 06, 2021
studentofTruth:

I agree with you. If truly the banks are doing the giveaway at #5 per $, with $20,000, someone is in a profitable to-and-fro business.

International transfers cost about $30 per transfer, so to and fro is $60 — let's say $70 (assuming any other charges). Every inflow of $20,000 gives you #100k from CBN, while your expenses is only $70 (#30-35k). You're in #65k profit per full trip!

Invariably, these dumb fellows, through this dumb policy, have created another means for their folks to milk the country more!

You cant receive 20k in a day because of money laundering laws.

10k is the limit of transaction daily for private individuals.

If you are going to be sending from abroad to Nigeria every day, they will ask questions abroad and can arrest you for money laundering.

Even companies don't do this type of stuff, instead they do round tripping through asset

3 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by studentofTruth: 5:24pm On Mar 06, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

You cant receive 20k in a day because of money laundering laws.

10k is the limit of transaction daily for private individuals.

If you are going to be sending from abroad to Nigeria every day, they will ask questions abroad and can arrest you for money laundering.

Even companies don't do this type of stuff, instead they do round tripping through asset

All it takes is a corporate account, which every elite has.

Ghana, SA, etc are abroad.

The point is, these guys keep creating policies that commoners see as dumb, but in effect, is meant to milk the country dry.
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by guychidile: 5:25pm On Mar 06, 2021
hmm,place explain more
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2021
SeaTrade:
Ode I was talking about buying dollar which was at 480 yesterday.
Mumu it is not to attract more remittance because nobody that wanted to send $10k will send $20k because you are giving 100k bonus,dumbass.
It is subsidy because aboki will also remove N5 from buying price because CBN is already offering you that,empty head.

Zombie. Continue typing rubbish

If you sell dollar at 470, how can you buy dollar at 480?
What sort of logic is that

1 Like

Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 06, 2021
studentofTruth:

Corporate what? grin
Re: CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 06, 2021
studentofTruth:

Ghana, SA, etc are abroad.

The point is, these guys keep creating policies that commoners see as dumb, but in effect, is meant to milk the country dry.

Corporate account for what exactly grin

There is money laundering laws...even the elites dont use physical cash to milk the country.

Most people that understand this policy are happy with it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

MTN CEO, Ahmad Farroukh Resigns / What You Need To Know About CBN’s Lifting Forex Restriction On 43 Items / Naira Set To Rise Further This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.