Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups (42291 Views)

See The Banga Soup N Starch I Prepared This Afternoon. / How I Cook Delicious Groundnut Soup, Easy To Follow Steps (Photos, Video) / 20 Of The World's Best, Mouthwatering Soups. Banga Soup Is No 1 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by martineverest(m): 12:06am On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
Banga is originally from Urhobo. Where can u get Banga soup in Benin?

Anywhere u see Banga being sold in this country is prepared by an Urhobo.

Where, is it Lagos, Port Harcourt, or Calabar.

Anywhere.
Edo black soup is what?....banga soup is derived from black soup
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Midas01: 12:19am On Mar 07, 2021
Go and read the op again, the kind of Banga they described there is heavenly.
pozehnani:
When afang and oha is there? Nothing special about Banga.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Slimsly100(f): 12:20am On Mar 07, 2021
Banga wey dey burst brain.
Where my Delta folks
M'igwo o!!!

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Ekugbeh(m): 12:23am On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
Edo black soup is what?....banga soup is derived from black soup
lol, what is black soup and what is banga soup oga
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Midas01: 12:23am On Mar 07, 2021
They're not talking about Ofe Aku, they're talking about Niger Delta Banga and us Niger Deltans never ever eat Banga with rice.
blazepascal:
egusi soup pass all of them. banga na just for white rice
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by martineverest(m): 12:30am On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
lol, what is black soup and what is banga soup oga
black soup is banga soup with ground vegetables.....the vegetables makes the banga soup greenish-black

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by onomeabuja: 12:31am On Mar 07, 2021
Branzy:

Urhobo. oghwo amiedi.
i represent the urhobo

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by onomeabuja: 12:35am On Mar 07, 2021
The5DME:

Oshare, mingwor
vrendo

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by onomeabuja: 12:40am On Mar 07, 2021
uni69:
Where are my UHROBO people from DELTA STATE. We make the best banga soup ever along side with starch, served in a native pot called EWELE, ( hope i got the spelling right ). DELTA to the world.
i represent!

2 Likes

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Midas01: 12:41am On Mar 07, 2021
It is pride that will finish you and your likes in this life. Well no one cares about your worthless opinion. So because it is limited to a tribe that is not igbo or Yoruba makes it not appetizing?

CNN has made their report, go and make your own.
Igboid:
I have never seen or eaten Banga. Only hear of it or see it online.
I know its only eaten in Delta South, Delta Central and Edo state.
Ofe Nsala, a typical Igbo soup is the main soup in Enuani Delta.
As an Igbo the only non Igbo soup I can eat is those from Akwa Cross, Afang and Edikaikong.

I don't understand the criteria that made a regionally limited soup like Banga the number one soup in Nigeria. It doesn't make sense, and therefore the report is a suspicious one.

List of popular and generally accepted as delicious Nigerian soups.

1. Eguisi
2. Ogbono
3. Afang/Edikaikong.

Every other soup is limited to the tribe or region that owns it.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Igboid: 12:46am On Mar 07, 2021
Midas01:
It is pride that will finish you and your likes in this life. Well no one cares about your worthless opinion. So because it is limited to a tribe that is not igbo or Yoruba makes it not appetizing?

Don't be stupid.
White people don't eat Banga soup or Nigerian soups, so how can they know the most appetizing of them all?

The most appetizing Nigerian soups are known by Nigerians and they cut cross regional lines, unlike Banga that is restricted to the lands of people who invented it. They generally accepted most delicious soups in Nigeria as confirmed by their general acceptance by all Nigerian groups are as follows:

1. Egusi
2. Ogbono
3. Afang/Edikaikong

If your Banga or knockout or whatever you call it is delicious, other Nigerian groups will borrow and start cooking and eating it as well. No offense but that's the truth.

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Midas01: 12:49am On Mar 07, 2021
Keep consoling yourself, they specifically mentioned Niger Delta Banga not any other from west Africa. Keep crying.
DeepSight:

Are you well? Everyone knows you cannot mention cuisine in Nigeria without Akwa-Ibom thins. Afang, Edika-ikong, etc.
PS: Banga and Groundnut Soup stretch across West Africa.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Midas01: 12:54am On Mar 07, 2021
But they're talking about the Banga made by Niger Deltans, why you crying Lmao
TheWealthiest:

Lol. Jesus is just another Jew. No more no less.

Banga soup is called "Obe Eeyin" in yoruba. Eeyin is Yoruba name for palm kernel. so don't sweat it. Banga soup is not indigenous to Niger Delta alone.
This is similar to Ogbono soup, which is called "Obe Aapon" in Yoruba. Aapon is the inner seed you get from "Oro" fruit.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by onomeabuja: 12:57am On Mar 07, 2021
Slimsly100:
Banga wey dey burst brain.
Where my Delta folks
M'igwo o!!!
i represent.....,vrendo

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by steeltrust: 1:40am On Mar 07, 2021
SouthNigerian:

Lol... I for take your advice marry an Urhobo woman, but am not sorry to say I love my Igbo girlfriend.
good for you

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Nobody: 3:21am On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
Edo black soup is what?

Me i nor know wetin be Edo black soup but go and ask Edo people, they will tell you that it is the Urhobo people that are living in Edo State that exposed the People of Edo to banga soup.

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by ThatFairGuy: 3:47am On Mar 07, 2021
Romanoff:
Best Banga soup na from Edo or Delta.
I don't think so. Note this is from experience.
I prefer Yoruba method (older generation method) of cooking it to that of Edo.

Different strokes for different folks anyway
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Nobody: 4:09am On Mar 07, 2021
Neimar:

Nor be only Ur hobo

Which other tribe you know does it like the Urhobos ?
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Nobody: 4:12am On Mar 07, 2021
Midas01:

Who never eat Banga soup wey urhobo person cook once, na go criticize am.
Obobs Banga soup for ewere plate, na lifetime memory be that o!
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by IYANGBALI: 4:53am On Mar 07, 2021
Thazard:

Should I send my address so you could waybill?

I love seafood .
ok
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 6:07am On Mar 07, 2021
Edobabe20:
Weyrey dey find attention undecided
Lolz who you be self? cheesy

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by 4X4: 6:32am On Mar 07, 2021
RICE AND EGUSI MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE
grin grin grin

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by 4X4: 6:32am On Mar 07, 2021
RICE AND EGUSI MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE
grin grin grin

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Efewestern: 6:44am On Mar 07, 2021
Mikecold:
I am Edo but na urhobo get banga soup o, they use native pot steam am with all kind of river fish.

Funny enough na Edo get banga pass delta

But aside those assorted fishes i prefer my local one

I know Edo state has lots of palm trees, but Delta state is also blessed with it, the Urhobos grew up in the art of harvesting and processing palm oil because of its abundance in their locality, this led them into exploring other states like Edo and Ondo in the early 30's (During the palm oil boom).

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Nobody: 6:46am On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
are u sure u are Edo?.....Edo black soup is what?

black soup is advanced and more nutritious banga soup
Black soup isn't banga soup.

Sometimes we do grind bitter leaf on banga soup (this is for those who don't like seeing that yellowish colour)

But real banga soup is without adding bitter leaf, just plain banga and oil with ingredients.

Though we still Sabi am pass urhobo but the assorted fishes and meat they use no be here
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 07, 2021
Efewestern:

I know Edo state has lots of palm trees, but Delta state is also blessed with it, the Urhobos grew up in the art of harvesting and processing palm oil because of its abundance in their locality, this led them into exploring other states like Edo and Ondo in the early 30's (During the palm oil boom).

Yes, Delta has palm trees too, but na Edo you go see different plantations of it, that's why okomou, and nifor (Nigeria institute for oil palm research) are located in Edo.

It is the long huge ones you find in Edo not those short ones
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Efewestern: 6:53am On Mar 07, 2021
Midas01:

Ignore most of their rants, they are simply pained as you can see from response. I've seen how these guys, behave, how they degrade an entire group.

An independent researcher came to Nigeria, most likely to have tastes every local meal before coming to the conclusion that Banga soup is special, but according to Nigerians, if the soup isn't popular or accepted all over the nation, then the report is false or bias.

Just another of their superiority BS.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Neimar: 6:55am On Mar 07, 2021
Bestty101:

Which other tribe you know does it like the Urhobos ?

Isokos
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Efewestern: 6:58am On Mar 07, 2021
Mikecold:
Yes, Delta has palm trees too, but na Edo you go see different plantations of it, that's why okomou, and nifor (Nigeria institute for oil palm research) are located in Edo.

It is the long huge ones you find in Edo not those short ones

You are very correct, my forebears explored those territories in the 30's/40's and they told us how rich Edo is in Palm trees.

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by martineverest(m): 7:04am On Mar 07, 2021
michaelpop50:

Me i nor know wetin be Edo black soup but go and ask Edo people, they will tell you that it is the Urhobo people that are living in Edo State that exposed the People of Edo to banga soup.
lol.....u mean urhobo thought Edo people how to prepare Edo banga soup?..when it comes to tradition,Edo people have been unique.

urhobo banga soup was derived from black soup...banga soup is 100 percent black soups without vegetable..the taste of banga soup is nowhere that of black soup
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by martineverest(m): 7:07am On Mar 07, 2021
Efewestern:

palm oil has been existing in Benin kingdom before urhobo tribe started existing..palm oil was exported to Europe by bini people instead of slave trade
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by pozehnani(f): 7:10am On Mar 07, 2021
Coronavirus1:
[/quote]

Oh.. as their THEIR special? Ok.
Do Hausas have food? grin

[quote author=Midas01 post=99669603]Go and read the op again, the kind of Banga they described there is heavenly.

O yeah? I'll still go for my oha soup over it any time any day.

Ekugbeh:
u ve never eaten banga my dear

I have eaten Banga. I've even cooked the delta version ( as directed by a warri woman) and it was nothing compared to my favs. In fact, I didn't look forward to it again after tasting it once. So??.. But I know a deltan woman who is always craving our oha soup that she begged me to give her the receipe so she can be making it at home as she used to practically go buy it from a canteen just to have a taste everyday.

Maybe the one made by deltans might taste different.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared. / Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.