Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups (42288 Views)

See The Banga Soup N Starch I Prepared This Afternoon. / How I Cook Delicious Groundnut Soup, Easy To Follow Steps (Photos, Video) / 20 Of The World's Best, Mouthwatering Soups. Banga Soup Is No 1 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Efewestern: 7:21am On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
palm oil has been existing in Benin kingdom before urhobo tribe started existing..palm oil was exported to Europe by bini people instead of slave trade

Bini is an ancient civilization and Deltans wouldn't have existed if they weren't there, so I'm not here for comparisons.

Just stating that, The Urhobos were known for their Palm oil exploits that they dominated several states in the 30's. Also, that the Bini's exported palm oil to Europe before the Urhobos existed doesn't mean that Palm Trees weren't found in territories the Urhobos migrated to when they left Bini.

No tribe in modern Nigeria process palm oil like the Urhobos, this has been their way of life and even ethnic groups like the Ikale's will testify to this fact.

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Efewestern: 7:37am On Mar 07, 2021
pozehnani:

Oh.. as their THEIR special? Ok.
Do Hausas have food? grin

O yeah? I'll still go for my oha soup over it any time any day.

I have eaten Banga. I've even cooked the delta version ( as directed by a warri woman) and it was nothing compared to my favs. In fact, I didn't look forward to it again after tasting it once. So??.. But I know a deltan woman who is always craving our oha soup that she begged me to give her the receipe so she can be making it at home as she used to practically go buy it from a canteen just to have a taste everyday.

Maybe the one made by deltans might taste different.

There you got it wrong, it was probably your first time and so you definitely wouldn't have got the perfect taste.

Did you use native or agric Banga?
what species did you use? (Ubeletientien, Utiako etc?)
Made use of cat fish and other assorted?

Until you eat the one prepared by a typical Urhobo lady, you shouldn't talk down the meal. Banga soup no get mate.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by BREYZ: 7:52am On Mar 07, 2021
Edobabe20:

Asin eh, we no dey carry last when it comes to cooking sumptuous meals tongue

Why you dey whine yourself?
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by alfredilly: 7:53am On Mar 07, 2021
SouthNigerian:
Person way no like Banga Soup no fit like better thing for him life.

Banga Soup is the reason I swore to either marry from the East or stay single forever.

Banka ko, Banga ni. Can any soup in Africa and Nigeria as a whole stand Egusi mixed vegetables soup and pound yam? Stop decieving yourself
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by alfredilly: 7:58am On Mar 07, 2021
Efewestern:

Bini is an ancient civilization and Deltans wouldn't have existed if they weren't there, so I'm not here for comparisons.

Just stating that, The Urhobos were known for their Palm oil exploits that they dominated several states in the 30's. Also, that the Bini's exported palm oil to Europe before the Urhobos existed doesn't mean that Palm Trees weren't found in territories the Urhobos migrated to when they left Bini.

No tribe in modern Nigeria process palm oil like the Urhobos, this has been their way of life and even ethnic groups like the Ikale's will testify to this fact.
Yes, palm oil cultivation spread to many south west state through the Urhobos. Ondo state is a prominent example. The Urhobos presence was very widespread in the southern part of the state, so much so that they speak the native language fluently. Sometimes, you can hardly differentiate an Urhobo person from Ikale. Ondo is also very prominent in Palm tree cultivation.

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by SouthNigerian: 8:01am On Mar 07, 2021
alfredilly:

Banka ko, Banga ni. [b]Can any soup in Africa and Nigeria as a whole stand Egusi mixed vegetables soup and pound yam? [/b]Stop decieving yourself

Chai... am confused

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by martineverest(m): 8:07am On Mar 07, 2021
Efewestern:

lol...na Edo and info state get the best palm oil for Nigeria.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Pickieox(m): 8:22am On Mar 07, 2021
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Biafrannuke: 10:07am On Mar 07, 2021
jimyjames:

What are you talking about?
Who is this one? What's the difference between ofe akwu and banga? The only difference is the name
Recipes of preparing might differ
But Both are made from palm nut extract,
Don't be stupid and quit spreading misinformation. How can stew and soup be the same thing? Two meals that serve different purposes, has different names, have different tastes and have entirely different methods of preparation is what you are calling one because of palm. Are you OK? why dont you call ofe ora Banga soup too since akwu is ideally used to prepare it?
Ofe akwu means palm stew in English why Banga soup means palm soup in English. The difference must be made clear to avoid heritage theft!

1 Like

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Daum: 10:22am On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
Edo black soup is what?

Its a mixture of banga and different green leaves. Its different. The Banga here is strictly banga with bad ass spices.

I am Edo/Delta

Best combo ever
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Ekugbeh(m): 10:25am On Mar 07, 2021
pozehnani:

Oh.. as their THEIR special? Ok.
Do Hausas have food? grin

O yeah? I'll still go for my oha soup over it any time any day.

I have eaten Banga. I've even cooked the delta version ( as directed by a warri woman) and it was nothing compared to my favs. In fact, I didn't look forward to it again after tasting it once. So??.. But I know a deltan woman who is always craving our oha soup that she begged me to give her the receipe so she can be making it at home as she used to practically go buy it from a canteen just to have a taste everyday.

Maybe the one made by deltans might taste different.
lol, u cooked it ursef, lol.

Come over and eat or leme do a waybill for u ok
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Daum: 10:25am On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
Banga is originally from Urhobo. Where can u get Banga soup in Benin?

Anywhere u see Banga being sold in this country is prepared by an Urhobo.

Where, is it Lagos, Port Harcourt, or Calabar.

Anywhere.

Tah you lie
Edo people can make Banga soup also.
The real soup for Urhobo is Owo and Starch.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Daum: 10:28am On Mar 07, 2021
Efewestern:

I know Edo state has lots of palm trees, but Delta state is also blessed with it, the Urhobos grew up in the art of harvesting and processing palm oil because of its abundance in their locality, this led them into exploring other states like Edo and Ondo in the early 30's (During the palm oil boom).

True. The Urhobo were very good in palm oil trade back then. I know how this made many of them settle all over Edo state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Daum: 10:30am On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
palm oil has been existing in Benin kingdom before urhobo tribe started existing..palm oil was exported to Europe by bini people instead of slave trade

The Urhobos are an old stock of what you call Benin people. They're Edoiod also. Palm oil has been existing in all our lands for a very very long time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Ekugbeh(m): 10:33am On Mar 07, 2021
Daum:

Tah you lie
Edo people can make Banga soup also.
The real soup for Urhobo is Owo and Starch.

sir, please be calming down ok.

Travel, look for Banga soup to buy. And notice the seller by tribe then come back again.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by pozehnani(f): 10:45am On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
lol, u cooked it ursef, lol.

Come over and eat or leme do a waybill for u ok

Ok. I challenge you to cook and send it through waybill.
I'll be waiting o. grin
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Daum: 10:47am On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
sir, please be calming down ok.

Travel, look for Banga soup to buy. And notice the seller by tribe then come back again.

Outside the Urhobos, the Edo's cook nice banga soup. I can testify. All my aunties from my father's side can cook it well big time. I even ate it last night. I have been eating banga soup all my life. Even banga rice and ukodo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Ekugbeh(m): 10:50am On Mar 07, 2021
pozehnani:

Ok. I challenge you to cook and send it through waybill.
I'll be waiting o. grin
where are you then
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by jimyjames(m): 11:01am On Mar 07, 2021
Biafrannuke:
Don't be stupid and quit spreading misinformation. How can stew and soup be the same thing? Two meals that serve different purposes, has different names, have different tastes and have entirely different methods of preparation is what you are calling one because of palm. Are you OK? why dont you call ofe ora Banga soup too since akwu is ideally used to prepare it?
Ofe akwu means palm stew in English why Banga soup means palm soup in English. The difference must be made clear to avoid heritage theft!
My friend both banga and ofe akwu are the same thing methods of preparing it doesn't even differ much it's a matter of ( ingredients choice) the only difference is banga is thinker and ofe akwu is lighter, I have tasted the both there is not much difference , stop trying to sound smart you are not making sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by lyricalz: 11:16am On Mar 07, 2021
SouthNigerian:
Person way no like Banga Soup no fit like better thing for him life.

Banga Soup is the reason I swore to either marry from the East or stay single forever.

that Banga soup you ibo people eat with rice is not Banga soup o, so don't give yourself hope, the real Banga soup is from Delta State, urhobo Banga soup with better starch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Igboid: 11:28am On Mar 07, 2021
jimyjames:

My friend both banga and ofe akwu are the same thing methods of preparing it doesn't even differ much it's a matter of ( ingredients choice) the only difference is banga is thinker and ofe akwu is lighter, I have tasted the both there is not much difference , stop trying to sound smart you are not making sense

You are obviously being unnecessarily dense.

There is no link between Banga and Ofe akwu.
Nothing whatsoever. If you are Igbo, you would know this.
As an Igbo, you can never eat Banga and like it. The taste is off.
No where in SE is that soup prepared or sold. Not even in Enuani Delta.
Our people know good soups when we eat one, and the only non Igbo soup that passes the taste test in Igbo land is Afang and Edikaikong.
They are the only non Igbo soups a typical Igbo man born and raised in Igbo land can appreciate.

Your continued insistence on Ofe akwu and Banga being same is annoying and provocative to me as an Igbo man.
Stop it already, its not funny.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Igboid: 11:29am On Mar 07, 2021
lyricalz:

that Banga soup you ibo people eat with rice is not Banga soup o, so don't give yourself hope, the real Banga soup is from Delta State, urhobo Banga soup with better starch.

No one in Igbo land eat Banga soup or whatever you lots call it.

We eat Ofe akwu. They are not same. Stop patronizing yourselves. No well raised Igbo man will eat Banga and like it, let alone mistake it for Ofe akwu. No offense.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by pozehnani(f): 11:35am On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
where are you then

Lag.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by jimyjames(m): 11:45am On Mar 07, 2021
Igboid:

You are obviously being unnecessarily dense.

There is no link between Banga and Ofe akwu.
Nothing whatsoever. If you are Igbo, you would know this.
As an Igbo, you can never eat Banga and like it. The taste is off.
No where in SE is that soup prepared or sold. Not even in Enuani Delta.
Our people know good soups when we eat one, and the only non Igbo soup that passes the taste test in Igbo land is Afang and Edikaikong.
They are the only non Igbo soups a typical Igbo man born and raised in Igbo land can appreciate.

Your continued insistence on Ofe akwu and Banga being same is annoying and provocative to me as an Igbo man.
Stop it already, its not funny.
I repeat banga and ofe akwu are the same banga the niger Delta version, ofe akwu the igbo version, both are Palm nut soup/stew banga is thinker and good for starch, ofe akwu is lighter and good for rice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Ekugbeh(m): 11:56am On Mar 07, 2021
pozehnani:

Lag.
it's four to five hours o from Delta
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Biafrannuke: 12:06pm On Mar 07, 2021
jimyjames:

Ignorant mofo. what do you know about cooking and methods? Arrogance wouldn't allow you learn.
See his mouth "they are same because they use palm" when you go to a hotel ask them to give you fufu and Ofe akwu if you think they are same. This is how you retards sell off our heritage.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Biafrannuke: 12:19pm On Mar 07, 2021
jimyjames:

Ignorant mofo. what do you know about cooking and methods? Arrogance wouldn't allow you learn.
See his mouth "they are same because they use palm" when you go to a hotel ask them to give you fufu and Ofe akwu if you think they are same. This is how you retards sell off our heritage.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by pozehnani(f): 12:38pm On Mar 07, 2021
Ekugbeh:
it's four to five hours o from Delta

A awww... And that soup can sour for Africa undecided.

Ok, never mind then.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by nelsonebby(m): 12:44pm On Mar 07, 2021
martineverest:
Edo,not urhobo
lol Noo
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by Sleekfingers: 1:33pm On Mar 07, 2021
Oghene1st:

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-best-wellness-soups/index.html

who tell you say Banga is from niger delta ? It is called OBE EYIN in the southwest.......the yoruba version use different kinda spices

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by SouthNigerian: 1:39pm On Mar 07, 2021
lyricalz:

Really? By the way, who told you am Igbo?

I'm a Yoruba dude who love Igbo people, the pretty ladies their food and of course their culture. I love to identify with anything Igbo but am not Igbo by blood.
Re: CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups by jimyjames(m): 2:27pm On Mar 07, 2021
Biafrannuke:

I should ask you the same thing what do you know about cooking,.

please write down the recipe for banga and ofe Akwa and the methods of preparing lets see how different the two are?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / The Catfish Soup A Broke Nairalander Prepared. / Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.