Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,136 members, 7,780,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:55 AM

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? (14782 Views)

I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:40am On Mar 07, 2021
I used to have this roommate who was a member of one of these Pentecostal fellowships back then in campus. He had just graduated and was actually doing his clearance when I joined the room to replace him who was considerably older. So it happened one evening as we were getting to know ourselves better. He asked if I was truly born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues which I told him that I do not. He went ahead intently to tell me if I know that I can be baptized by the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongue right there in our room. Well, I must confess that I wasn't buying his idea then because I didn't know what speaking in tongues will do for me and secondly, I was of the Jehovah's Witness' stand point as I had been welcoming their teaching for years earlier.

He swiftly went to close our door from behind as he saw my readiness to give his 'Holy Spirit' a try. He prayed in tongues for while and after, he laid hands on me hoping that I will fall on the bed under his 'claimed anointing' but I could only encourage him to try harder with my theatrics. He tried and tried until I willingly granted his request and he felt better but became even more intense with his ritual. This 'Spiri koko' brother will then ask me at intervals if I have the urge to speak in an unknown tongue and I will always give him an outright 'No' till hot sweat covered us both ([/i]he must have been figuring out what could be wrong with this Pre Degree Student[i]). After about an hour of his unyielding exercise, he just told me to speak anything that comes out my mouth without refraining myself. So for the fact that I can't wait to leave that tinny room for a deep breath of fresh air, I voluntarily granted his request again. I spoke one of these popular gibberish- 'skibobobo' .... and he said [/i]'Yes! That is it! that's your tongue! Continue!'[i]. He became very happy and even worshipped God for saving a soul while I was having a good laugh inside of me. After that day, he will always ask me about how many hours I have spoken in tongues each day and of course you know, I will always give it to him so as to discharge myself on time. grin

Well, the above story was a funny experience I had more than 10 years ago and to the Glory of God today, I have shredded out doctrines and believe systems that deny the power of God. However, I still question the much emphasis on speaking in tongues by many churches today.

Jesus Christ said in March 16:17-18: [/i]“And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”[i]

Note that Jesus Christ made mention of other signs that will accompany those who believe, not just speaking in tongues. So why can't we have people like my former room mate say: Are you born again with the evidence of driving out demons? or with the evidence of healing the sick or any other signs mentioned in that Mark's Chapter?
‭‭

Speaking in the tongues is part of the 9 Gift of the Spirit mentioned in 1Corinthians 12:8:11. The chapter also says that the Spirit Himself give as he determines- that means that any of the 9 spiritual gifts can attest to presence of the Holy Spirit even though it is possible to operate in more than one or even all the gifts (Ephesians 1:3). Why is this singular emphasis on speaking in tongues? What happens to the gifts of interpretation of tongues? Why is the relegation of other spiritual gifts?

Infact, the gifts of tongues appear to be the least in all the 9 gift of the spirits? (Matthew 23:23) Peter never spoke in tongues before he rose the lame man at the entrance of the beautiful gate, did he? Did he speak in tongues before he rose Dorcas from the dead? Did Paul speak in tongues to restore Eutychus to life. Where exactly can we find it in the bible where signs and wonders were performed through praying in tongues?

Is it a lie that speaking in tongues has be abused or hijacked by strange spirits in the church today? You get to a church and you will see everybody muttering the same incoherent syllables in the name of speaking in tongues (Matthew 6:7). Could it be that they got their own speaking in tongues using that my formal roommates style? How does the spirit of God come upon someone who do not have the true knowledge of God? God can not be mocked! Even unbelievers already know popular lines of speaking in tongues incase they find themselves in same corner I found myself 10 years ago. You will enter a church these days and you won't even know the prayer point because nobody is or can actually interpret their 'claimed tongues' (1 Corinthians 14:28). Again, why the emphasis on speaking in tongues when other spiritual gifts like prophesy are been left unattended to?

Please note that I never said that speaking in tongues isn't real, Infact I believe in the reality of the tongues of angels because I have experienced it before (1 Corinthians 13:1) but my point here that, is speaking in tongues not just a gift amidst numerous gifts in the bible? Why will speaking in tongues be the only evidence to prove the Holy Spirit? Our emphasis as Christians should be in godly characters i.e the fruits of the spirit which are: Chastity, self control, modesty, faithfulness, gentleness, godliness, long suffering, peace, patience, kindness, joy, charity (Galatians 5:22-23). Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 7:15-20, by 'their fruits we shall know them'

Do you even know that speaking in tongues is not only a Christian phenomenon? Somethings are connecting as regards to the Christianity we practice in this age. May God grant us the spirit of discernment (1 John 4:1).

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by thesolutions(m): 8:44am On Mar 07, 2021
No.

But of a truth, many believer speaks in tongues without knowing they do.
the problem is that most people want to sound like their pastors.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by obonujoker(m): 8:45am On Mar 07, 2021
No.

Speaking in tongues is also not a prerequisite to show one is a child of God, or will make heaven at last

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:46am On Mar 07, 2021
thesolutions:
No.

But of a truth, many believer speaks in tongues without knowing they do.
the problem is that most people want to sound like their pastors.

Are you saying that it is possible to have the power of God and not know it? How possible is that?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by dilicond: 8:46am On Mar 07, 2021
Yes. According to the bible, "And Ye Shall Speak In Other Tongues After The Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You".
It's an evidence of you been filled with the Holy Ghost just like u receiving a certificate after after graduating from school to show you went to school.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Lighthouse50: 8:59am On Mar 07, 2021
All those churches are ignorant of God's word. Apostolic Faith do believe that only those who spoke in tongues are the ones baptized by the spirit which made many struggle to speak too. Majority in turn fake it so as to be accepted by the church and brethren as brother. What a low thinking sect. They claim to have holy spirit but lack the fruit of the spirit.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by thesolutions(m): 9:10am On Mar 07, 2021
iamDrRhymes:

Are you saying that it is possible to have the power of God and not know it? How possible is that?
Moses had his rod but wouldn't give the Israelite water or part the red sea with it until he was told what to do.

Knowledge activates Faith, and Faith is the energy that brings the power of God to light.
So, yes. Many people are speaking in tongues without knowing.
The first time I spake in tongue, I prophesied to someone without knowing I was doing that until the person shouted a loud amen on the other side of the wall outside the building I was praying in. then I realized I had called him by name, someone I never knew, and had spoken to him about his challenges.

I understand that speaking in tongues has become a sort of ritual to differentiate different denomination as each denomination sounds differently when speaking in the said tongue, but that doesn't make speaking in tongue an error. Those who do knows how beneficial it has been to them.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by tstx(m): 9:22am On Mar 07, 2021
Lol.... Speaking in tongues na scam.

7 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 9:23am On Mar 07, 2021
thesolutions:

Moses had his rod but wouldn't give the Israelite water or part the red sea with it until he was told what to do.

Knowledge activates Faith, and Faith is the energy that brings the power of God to light.
So, yes. Many people are speaking in tongues without knowing.
The first time I spake in tongue, I prophesied to someone without knowing I was doing that until the person shouted a loud amen on the other side of the wall outside the building I was praying in. then I realized I had called him by name, someone I never knew, and had spoken to him about his challenges.

I understand that speaking in tongues has become a sort of ritual to differentiate different denomination as each denomination sounds differently when speaking in the said tongue, but that doesn't make speaking in tongue an error. Those who do knows how beneficial it has been to them.

This is revelational! Kudos!

11 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 9:23am On Mar 07, 2021
tstx:
Lol.... Speaking in tongues na scam.

Are you born again?

2 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by dhardline(m): 9:31am On Mar 07, 2021
No
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by dayleke: 9:31am On Mar 07, 2021
NO
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Bampeh: 9:31am On Mar 07, 2021
One of the Characteristics of having the holy spirit in you is speaking in tongues.

The holy spirit uses your tongue and heart to communicate with God when you don't know what/how to pray

The answer to your question is "yes"

Bampeh said something meaningful

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by EdidemLord(m): 9:32am On Mar 07, 2021
I didn't read the long epistle..

speaking in tongues comes naturally
you don't learn it

It's like a reflex action...

What's happening in Pentecostal churches nowadays is pure scam..

12 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by BrickDevo: 9:32am On Mar 07, 2021
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Righteousness2(m): 9:33am On Mar 07, 2021
Speaking in tongues is not what you learn to do.
Speaking in Tongues is an Evidence of HolySpirit in you.
Every believer who claims to be Filled with the HolySpirit should have the evidence of speaking Mysteries
But note, you can't be living in sin and claim you have the HolySpirit and you can speak in tongues. It is not Possible.
The HolySpirit cannot stand the sight of any form of iniquity or sin.
So if you are living in sin and claim you can speak in tongues you are Just rapping!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Mikelarteta(m): 9:33am On Mar 07, 2021
You can learn it naa
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by afroniger: 9:33am On Mar 07, 2021
Both 'speaking in tongues' and 'holy spirit' na scam. Anybody can 'robo robo skibo shata roko shanta shaka raba raba'. See, I just spoke in tongues. cheesy grin

12 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by chinchonglee(m): 9:34am On Mar 07, 2021
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Topmaike007(m): 9:34am On Mar 07, 2021
iamDrRhymes:

Are you born again?
op what do you gain by dropping this Epistle of Paul to the Romans..

oya sumarise everything now
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by WINDSOW(m): 9:34am On Mar 07, 2021
tstx:

Speaking in tongues na scam.
That's why no one can interpret it...
Any one with half a brain knows this
Speaking in other tongues isn't fake. We have genuine ones and otherwise. Interpreting other tongues is a gift from God. We still have people with such gift. I can't force myself to interpret tongues except God gifts me. I must also be sincere that there are also fake tongues too. Let God be the judge.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Strongbest(m): 9:35am On Mar 07, 2021
Yes
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by BassReeves: 9:35am On Mar 07, 2021
iamDrRhymes:
I used to have this roommate who was a member of one of these Pentecostal fellowships back then in campus. He had just graduated and was actually doing his clearance when I joined the room to replace him who was considerably older. So it happened one evening as we were getting to know ourselves better. He asked if I was truly born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues which I told him that I do not. He went ahead intently to tell me if I know that I can be baptized by the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongue right there in our room. Well, I must confess that I wasn't buying his idea then because I didn't know what speaking in tongues will do for me and secondly, I was of the Jehovah's Witness' stand point as I had been welcoming their teaching for years earlier.

Please note that I never said that speaking in tongues isn't real, Infact I believe in the reality of the tongues of angels because I have experienced it before (1 Corinthians 13:1) but my point here that, is speaking in tongues not just a gift amidst numerous gifts in the bible? Why will speaking in tongues be the only evidence to prove the Holy Spirit? Our emphasis as Christians should be in godly characters i.e the fruits of the spirit which are: Chastity, self control, modesty, faithfulness, gentleness, godliness, long suffering, peace, patience, kindness, joy, charity (Galatians 5:22-23). Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 7:15-20, by 'their fruits we shall know them'

Do you even know that speaking in tongues is not only a Christian phenomenon? Somethings are connecting as regards to the Christianity we practice in this age. May God grant us the spirit of discernment (1 John 4:1).
1 Corinthians 12:30
'Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages?
Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages?
(i.e. Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?)
Of course not!
'

Every believer do not have to 'speak in tongues' as an evidence of having the Holy Spirit because aside 'speak in tongues' there are other manifestations of the evidence of having the Holy Spirit for every believer

'Speak In Tongues' is available to be given, as a gift, as when it is deemed necessary for each believer to possess. This meaning that, not having the gift of 'speaking in tongue' is not a sign of a fault or failure to meet any certain standard

1 Corinthians 14:13–17
'13Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret.
14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.
15What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.
16Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying?
17For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.
'

1 Corinthians 14:22
'So then, tongues are for a sign, not to those believing, but to the unbelieving;
but prophecy is not to the unbelieving, but to the believing.
'

In the hierarchy of the gifts and manifestations of the evidence of having the Holy Spirit, 'speak in tongues' is at the lower rungs of the hierarchy ladder

It is interesting to know that Apostle Paul downplays the importance of speaking in tongues. As, Apostle Paul, on record, is seen to say, do not speak in tongues without an interpreter, but this advice and guideline, is religiously, regularly and openly disregarded during gathering worships, corporate and personal prayer sessions.

Tongues, actually is meant to be used for a sign, for or to 'targeted' unbelievers, but not, to or for believers directly. So, the questions, to be asked then, are:
1. How is or are tongues, be used as a sign, for or to 'targeted' unbelievers?
2. Who originally is 1 Corinthians 14:22 referring to specifically, as 'unbelieving' or talking about as 'unbelieving'?
3. What exactly is it that, the 1 Corinthians 14:22 'unbelieving' are not accepting as truth, especially without proof, that necessitated using the gift of speaking in tongue to pass on information with to them?

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by obonujoker(m): 9:36am On Mar 07, 2021
Many people blaspheme too much... Well we pray God forgives them as they don't know what they are doing ..

3 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Jerryherd: 9:36am On Mar 07, 2021
cool

Possessed people speak in other languages, depending on what kind of spirit possessed you

2 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Patrioticman007(m): 9:36am On Mar 07, 2021
Swagger the ginger things.
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by OBALOLA55(m): 9:37am On Mar 07, 2021
ALL THE PROPHETS OF INCLUDING CHRIST PREACHED ONENESS OF GOD MONOTHEISM, WHY IS IT THAT CHRISTIANS ARE WORSHIPING THEIR FELLOW HUMAN BEING INSTEAD OF HE THAT CREATED THE PERSON THEY ARE WORSHIPING embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 9:37am On Mar 07, 2021
WINDSOW:
Speaking in other tongues isn't fake. We have genuine ones and otherwise. Interpreting other tongues is a gift from God. We still have people with such gift. I can't force myself to interpret tongues except God gifts me. I must also be sincere that there are also fake tongues too. Let God be the judge.

Exactly

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Opinion!!!!! Any Christian That Goes To Work On Sundays Will Not Make Heaven.... / Why Didn't You Go To Church?? Sundays Frequently Asked Question / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.