Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,511 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:52 PM

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? (14790 Views)

I Should Speak In Tongues, Right? / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by wolebest: 7:21pm On Mar 07, 2021
I Corinthians 12 verses 29-30

Pentecostal Churches have abused the gift. Speaking in tongues and divers tongues are gifts. It's not by force, you can have other gifts without tongues.

The above Bible verses says not all speak in tongues, not all are teachers etc.

1 Like

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by JesusDWay(m): 7:27pm On Mar 07, 2021
iamDrRhymes:
I used to have this roommate who was a member of one of these Pentecostal fellowships back then in campus. He had just graduated and was actually doing his clearance when I joined the room to replace him who was considerably older. So it happened one evening as we were getting to know ourselves better. He asked if I was truly born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues which I told him that I do not. He went ahead intently to tell me if I know that I can be baptized by the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongue right there in our room. Well, I must confess that I wasn't buying his idea then because I didn't know what speaking in tongues will do for me and secondly, I was of the Jehovah's Witness' stand point as I had been welcoming their teaching for years earlier.

He swiftly went to close our door from behind as he saw my readiness to give his 'Holy Spirit' a try. He prayed in tongues for while and after, he laid hands on me hoping that I will fall on the bed under his 'claimed anointing' but I could only encourage him to try harder with my theatrics. He tried and tried until I willingly granted his request and he felt better but became even more intense with his ritual. This 'Spiri koko' brother will then ask me at intervals if I have the urge to speak in an unknown tongue and I will always give him an outright 'No' till hot sweat covered us both ([/i]he must have been figuring out what could be wrong with this Pre Degree Student[i]). After about an hour of his unyielding exercise, he just told me to speak anything that comes out my mouth without refraining myself. So for the fact that I can't wait to leave that tinny room for a deep breath of fresh air, I voluntarily granted his request again. I spoke one of these popular gibberish- 'skibobobo' .... and he said [/i]'Yes! That is it! that's your tongue! Continue!'[i]. He became very happy and even worshipped God for saving a soul while I was having a good laugh inside of me. After that day, he will always ask me about how many hours I have spoken in tongues each day and of course you know, I will always give it to him so as to discharge myself on time. grin

Well, the above story was a funny experience I had more than 10 years ago and to the Glory of God today, I have shredded out doctrines and believe systems that deny the power of God. However, I still question the much emphasis on speaking in tongues by many churches today.

Jesus Christ said in March 16:17-18: [/i]“And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”[i]

Note that Jesus Christ made mention of other signs that will accompany those who believe, not just speaking in tongues. So why can't we have people like my former room mate say: Are you born again with the evidence of driving out demons? or with the evidence of healing the sick or any other signs mentioned in that Mark's Chapter?
‭‭

Speaking in the tongues is part of the 9 Gift of the Spirit mentioned in 1Corinthians 12:8:11. The chapter also says that the Spirit Himself give as he determines- that means that any of the 9 spiritual gifts can attest to presence of the Holy Spirit even though it is possible to operate in more than one or even all the gifts (Ephesians 1:3). Why is this singular emphasis on speaking in tongues? What happens to the gifts of interpretation of tongues? Why is the relegation of other spiritual gifts?

Infact, the gifts of tongues appear to be the least in all the 9 gift of the spirits? (Matthew 23:23) Peter never spoke in tongues before he rose the lame man at the entrance of the beautiful gate, did he? Did he speak in tongues before he rose Dorcas from the dead? Did Paul speak in tongues to restore Eutychus to life. Where exactly can we find it in the bible where signs and wonders were performed through praying in tongues?

Is it a lie that speaking in tongues has be abused or hijacked by strange spirits in the church today? You get to a church and you will see everybody muttering the same incoherent syllables in the name of speaking in tongues (Matthew 6:7). Could it be that they got their own speaking in tongues using that my formal roommates style? How does the spirit of God come upon someone who do not have the true knowledge of God? God can not be mocked! Even unbelievers already know popular lines of speaking in tongues incase they find themselves in same corner I found myself 10 years ago. You will enter a church these days and you won't even know the prayer point because nobody is or can actually interpret their 'claimed tongues' (1 Corinthians 14:28). Again, why the emphasis on speaking in tongues when other spiritual gifts like prophesy are been left unattended to?

Please note that I never said that speaking in tongues isn't real, Infact I believe in the reality of the tongues of angels because I have experienced it before (1 Corinthians 13:1) but my point here that, is speaking in tongues not just a gift amidst numerous gifts in the bible? Why will speaking in tongues be the only evidence to prove the Holy Spirit? Our emphasis as Christians should be in godly characters i.e the fruits of the spirit which are: Chastity, self control, modesty, faithfulness, gentleness, godliness, long suffering, peace, patience, kindness, joy, charity (Galatians 5:22-23). Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 7:15-20, by 'their fruits we shall know them'

Do you even know that speaking in tongues is not only a Christian phenomenon? Somethings are connecting as regards to the Christianity we practice in this age. May God grant us the spirit of discernment (1 John 4:1).

The reason why it is generally believed that speaking in tongues is the evidence of being baptised in the Holy Spirit is because that was the very evidence witnessed when the apostles first got baptised in the Holy Spirit in Acts 2. In Acts 10 as well when Peter went to preach to the household of Cornelius, it was the same thing that happened. When Paul met some disciples in Acts 19:1-6, when Paul prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit, the evidence also was speaking in tongues. You may have omitted the fact that Peter was the one leading them in upper room when the Holy Spirit fell on all of them and the bible makes us know they all spoke in new tongues so, saying Peter did not speak in tongues I believe is an omission. Note that this is about the evidence of being baptised in the Holy Spirit and not about speaking in tongues to do miracles, miracles are performed by faith in the name of Jesus. Now, you can have the Spirit when you become genuinely born again but when there's a fullness of the Spirit, it will most likely come out in you speaking in tongues.
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:07pm On Mar 07, 2021
JesusDWay:

The reason why it is generally believed that speaking in tongues is the evidence of being baptised in the Holy Spirit is because that was the very evidence witnessed when the apostles first got baptised in the Holy Spirit in Acts 2. In Acts 10 as well when Peter went to preach to the household of Cornelius, it was the same thing that happened. When Paul met some disciples in Acts 19:1-6, when Paul prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit, the evidence also was speaking in tongues. You may have omitted the fact that Peter was the one leading them in upper room when the Holy Spirit fell on all of them and the bible makes us know they all spoke in new tongues so, saying Peter did not speak in tongues I believe is an omission. Note that this is about the evidence of being baptised in the Holy Spirit and not about speaking in tongues to do miracles, miracles are performed by faith in the name of Jesus. Now, you can have the Spirit when you become genuinely born again but when there's a fullness of the Spirit, it will most likely come out in you speaking in tongues.

Thanks for your brilliant contribution but I never said Peter never spoke in tongues. What I said is that there is no place miracle, healing, signs and wonders was done by any apostles who spoke in tongues to activate them. They all spoke plain language like 'raise up and work'. You can help me though
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:10pm On Mar 07, 2021
Johnjnr:

Yes he is, but not the modern day kind of Pentecostal. More of an apostolic style.
I don't attend same church with him, Cus of distance.

Great!
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 8:16pm On Mar 07, 2021
stancydg:
Its commonplace these days for the enemy to use various channels against the Church of Christ, even seemingly innocent and well crafted write ups. No wonder he has to do so much cos he knows he has but a short time. If not, there shouldn't be any reason to debate why a kingdom/nation or ethnos has its own lingua franca. Just like a child learns the language of the environment he is born into, why doesn't it make sense for logical folks to see the necessity of those said to be "re-born" to gradually communicate in the lingua of the new world they now live in? Of course, the answer is in the Word...Spiritual things are meaningless to the carnal mind.

Otherwise, it would be clear that the spiritual communication that prayer is can't run smoothly without words that are in line with the "Will of God", which The Spirit helps the believer to come into by " Groanings that can't be understood". Rom 8: 26 - 28 as quoted below;

So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

27 And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is], because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God’s will.

28 We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose.

So, how on earth is a believer supposed to function in line with God's Will without the evidence of speaking in tongues that builds up his "Most Holy Faith" according to JudeV20 and helps align his prayers with The Father's Will?

Don't be deceived.

With great respect to you. You will see that I never said that speaking in tongues is fake. I was only asking questions. But if you see my write up as subtle device of the devil, it's okay. I am still growing actually. God bless you
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by BrosTem(m): 8:46pm On Mar 07, 2021
Speaking in tongues is just a "gift of the spirit".
It is one of the 9 spiritual gifts in 1st Corint. 12.

It is not the envidence of being born again. No it really isn't.

See what vs 30 of 1st Corint 30 says:

1 Corinthians 12:30 "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

It means all cannot exercise only one spiritual gift; speaking in tongues inclusive.

Check the lifestyle of most of these brethren always blasting in tongues...na yeye and careless life dem dy live, meaning that they are not even born again.
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Myer(m): 9:16pm On Mar 07, 2021
Lighthouse50:
All those churches are ignorant of God's word. Apostolic Faith do believe that only those who spoke in tongues are the ones baptized by the spirit which made many struggle to speak too. Majority in turn fake it so as to be accepted by the church and brethren as brother. What a low thinking sect. They claim to have holy spirit but lack the fruit of the spirit.

Perhaps it's cos the Bible reveals how important spiritual gifts are for both the Christian and the Church. 1 Corinthians 14 deals extensively on this.

Vs 1. Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

Vs 5. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, [3] but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, [4] unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

Vs 18. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

From these verses we can conclude that speaking in tongues is vital to living a successful Christian life.

However it doesn't in any way say a non-tongue speaking Christian is not a Christian.

1 Like

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 9:24pm On Mar 07, 2021
BrosTem:
Speaking in tongues is just a "gift of the spirit".
It is one of the 9 spiritual gifts in 1st Corint. 12.

It is not the envidence of being born again. No it really isn't.

See what vs 30 of 1st Corint 30 says:

1 Corinthians 12:30 "Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

It means all cannot exercise only one spiritual gift; speaking in tongues inclusive.

Check the lifestyle of most of these brethren always blasting in tongues...na yeye and careless life dem dy live, meaning that they are not even born again.

The 1 Corinthians 12:30 you quoted has already done justice to all this debate. Great!

1 Like

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by stancydg: 10:03pm On Mar 07, 2021
In line with the truth that The HolySpirit bears up by helping us pray when we are short of words, especially words that are in line with God's will, I share this testimony on the importance of speaking in tongues in the life of a believer.

One morning just before the 2015 presidential elections, I woke up to the usual morning devotion just before heading out on a journey to a building site. Got an unusual nudging to pray in tongues for a couple more minutes after I had concluded praying and thank God I did. On my way back from the building site on top speed and in a bid to overtake a slow moving vehicle in front of me, while avoiding a fast one from the opposite direction on a one way, the vehicle I drove skidded off the lane, crossed the opposite lane and began to spin, first in the air and then round and round when it hit the ground a couple more cycles, before coming to a halt on a flat ground, a few metres from a massive rock. Seemed like a scene out of a Hollywood flick and for the first time in my life, I experienced what it meant by " And He shall give His Angels charge over you, to bear you up on their wings....Ps:91".

I doubt if that wouldn't have been the most fatal accident of that year, if The Holy Spirit hadn't intervened in my prayer session that morning. Glory be to God.

Speaking in tongues confuses the enemy. If you use ordinary human words, the enemy may figure it out. Those words may not even be in line with God's will, but the language of the Spirit, the enemy can't get it. When you speak in tongues, you're uttering mysteries, strategies the enemy can't figure out. This is synonymous to the MOG that said he is printing money while speaking in tongues. You may not understand that but that's why the Word says "all things work together for good" as a next verse after the Holy Spirit has helped us pray. No wonder the enemy likes to set up a mockery of it to discourage Christians. Believers should never joke with speaking in tongues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 10:18pm On Mar 07, 2021
stancydg:
In line with the truth that The HolySpirit bears up by helping us pray when we are short of words, especially words that are in line with God's will, I share this testimony on the importance of speaking in tongues in the life of a believer.

One morning just before the 2015 presidential elections, I woke up to the usual morning devotion just before heading out on a journey to a building site. Got an unusual nudging to pray in tongues for a couple more minutes after I had concluded praying and thank God I did. On my way back from the building site on top speed and in a bid to overtake a slow moving vehicle in front of me, while avoiding a fast one from the opposite direction on a one way, the vehicle I drove skidded off the lane, crossed the opposite lane and began to spin, first in the air and then round and round when it hit the ground a couple more cycles, before coming to a halt on a flat ground, a few metres from a massive rock. Seemed like a scene out of a Hollywood flick and for the first time in my life, I experienced what it meant by " And He shall give His Angels charge over you, to bear you up on their wings....Ps:91".

I doubt if that wouldn't have been the most fatal accident of that year, if The Holy Spirit hadn't intervened in my prayer session that morning. Glory be to God.

This is indeed a great testimony. Thank God for the Holy Spirit.
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by vikithor(m): 11:01pm On Mar 07, 2021
iamDrRhymes:
I used to have this roommate who was a member of one of these Pentecostal fellowships back then in campus. He had just graduated and was actually doing his clearance when I joined the room to replace him who was considerably older. So it happened one evening as we were getting to know ourselves better. He asked if I was truly born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues which I told him that I do not. He went ahead intently to tell me if I know that I can be baptized by the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongue right there in our room. Well, I must confess that I wasn't buying his idea then because I didn't know what speaking in tongues will do for me and secondly, I was of the Jehovah's Witness' stand point as I had been welcoming their teaching for years earlier.

He swiftly went to close our door from behind as he saw my readiness to give his 'Holy Spirit' a try. He prayed in tongues for while and after, he laid hands on me hoping that I will fall on the bed under his 'claimed anointing' but I could only encourage him to try harder with my theatrics. He tried and tried until I willingly granted his request and he felt better but became even more intense with his ritual. This 'Spiri koko' brother will then ask me at intervals if I have the urge to speak in an unknown tongue and I will always give him an outright 'No' till hot sweat covered us both ([/i]he must have been figuring out what could be wrong with this Pre Degree Student[i]). After about an hour of his unyielding exercise, he just told me to speak anything that comes out my mouth without refraining myself. So for the fact that I can't wait to leave that tinny room for a deep breath of fresh air, I voluntarily granted his request again. I spoke one of these popular gibberish- 'skibobobo' .... and he said [/i]'Yes! That is it! that's your tongue! Continue!'[i]. He became very happy and even worshipped God for saving a soul while I was having a good laugh inside of me. After that day, he will always ask me about how many hours I have spoken in tongues each day and of course you know, I will always give it to him so as to discharge myself on time. grin

Well, the above story was a funny experience I had more than 10 years ago and to the Glory of God today, I have shredded out doctrines and believe systems that deny the power of God. However, I still question the much emphasis on speaking in tongues by many churches today.

Jesus Christ said in March 16:17-18: [/i]“And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”[i]

Note that Jesus Christ made mention of other signs that will accompany those who believe, not just speaking in tongues. So why can't we have people like my former room mate say: Are you born again with the evidence of driving out demons? or with the evidence of healing the sick or any other signs mentioned in that Mark's Chapter?
‭‭

Speaking in the tongues is part of the 9 Gift of the Spirit mentioned in 1Corinthians 12:8:11. The chapter also says that the Spirit Himself give as he determines- that means that any of the 9 spiritual gifts can attest to presence of the Holy Spirit even though it is possible to operate in more than one or even all the gifts (Ephesians 1:3). Why is this singular emphasis on speaking in tongues? What happens to the gifts of interpretation of tongues? Why is the relegation of other spiritual gifts?

Infact, the gifts of tongues appear to be the least in all the 9 gift of the spirits? (Matthew 23:23) Peter never spoke in tongues before he rose the lame man at the entrance of the beautiful gate, did he? Did he speak in tongues before he rose Dorcas from the dead? Did Paul speak in tongues to restore Eutychus to life. Where exactly can we find it in the bible where signs and wonders were performed through praying in tongues?

Is it a lie that speaking in tongues has be abused or hijacked by strange spirits in the church today? You get to a church and you will see everybody muttering the same incoherent syllables in the name of speaking in tongues (Matthew 6:7). Could it be that they got their own speaking in tongues using that my formal roommates style? How does the spirit of God come upon someone who do not have the true knowledge of God? God can not be mocked! Even unbelievers already know popular lines of speaking in tongues incase they find themselves in same corner I found myself 10 years ago. You will enter a church these days and you won't even know the prayer point because nobody is or can actually interpret their 'claimed tongues' (1 Corinthians 14:28). Again, why the emphasis on speaking in tongues when other spiritual gifts like prophesy are been left unattended to?

Please note that I never said that speaking in tongues isn't real, Infact I believe in the reality of the tongues of angels because I have experienced it before (1 Corinthians 13:1) but my point here that, is speaking in tongues not just a gift amidst numerous gifts in the bible? Why will speaking in tongues be the only evidence to prove the Holy Spirit? Our emphasis as Christians should be in godly characters i.e the fruits of the spirit which are: Chastity, self control, modesty, faithfulness, gentleness, godliness, long suffering, peace, patience, kindness, joy, charity (Galatians 5:22-23). Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 7:15-20, by 'their fruits we shall know them'

Do you even know that speaking in tongues is not only a Christian phenomenon? Somethings are connecting as regards to the Christianity we practice in this age. May God grant us the spirit of discernment (1 John 4:1).
first lines so amusing.
last lines so educating
summary and worthy to note point-Are you born again with evidence of godly character should be the better question amongst the Pentecostals.

Got me smiling
Why don't people ask "are you born again with evidence of casting out demons,are you born again with evidence of prophesying, healing,working of miracles amongst other gifts?
learn how to drive car,learn how to drive manual or automatic cars,let's help you process driving, vehicle and other licenses.Call or WhatsApp with numbers below

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 12:08am On Mar 08, 2021
vikithor:

first lines so amusing.
last lines so educating
summary and worthy to note point-Are you born again with evidence of godly character should be the better question amongst the Pentecostals.

Got me smiling
Why don't people ask "are you born again with evidence of casting out demons,are you born again with evidence of prophesying, healing,working of miracles amongst other gifts?
learn how to drive car,learn how to drive manual or automatic cars,let's help you process driving, vehicle and other licenses.Call or WhatsApp with numbers below

Thanks. Good to know you learnt something. May God bless us all
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by vikithor(m): 12:10am On Mar 08, 2021
afroniger:
Both 'speaking in tongues' and 'holy spirit' na scam. Anybody can 'robo robo skibo shata roko shanta shaka raba raba'. See, I just spoke in tongues. cheesy grin
Speaking in unknown tongues and diverse kinds of tongues is faith-work,faith inspired,faith retained n sustained,faith maintained and proclaimed.
Anything done without faith is sin.You just spoke in tongues,really! what 1. inspired such speaking 2.what's the motive behind that utterances 3.is it edifying or ministering grace to your hearers 4.what's the interpretation?

1 Like

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Tobechuckwu(m): 5:53am On Mar 08, 2021
shadeyinka:

Scriptures on the gift of tongues: interestingly, the bible speaks about DIVERSITIES of tongues (Not just the glossa you all speak in churches). Glossa is just ONE out of the several means by which the GIFT of tongues operate.

1Cor 12:7-11:
"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit with. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these works that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

1Cor 12:28-30:
"And God has set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

Didn't I give you at least four Scriptures where tongues is NOT associated with being filled with the Holy Spirit?

Act4:8, Act4:31, Act9:17 and Act13:9

When you speak in tongues (glossa)
1. You edify yourself (not the church)
2. Your spirit prays (Not the Holy Spirit)

Do you know just ONE other spiritual gift that is for self edification?

Every Christian can speak in tongues if they are willing to exercise the required Faith
However,
Not every Christian has the GIFT of tongues.

I have tried to explain the several manifestations of this gift in my other writeup and mention to you.

The gift of tongues is most useful in evangelism where language barrier is a factor.

Let me copy and past a section of it here.

Everything u mentioned there are d gift of the holy ghost.
The holy ghost determine who nd what gift to give a believer, it isn't in our capacity to determine which one we need , but the holy ghost gives it himself.
But one can also desire a gift of the holy ghost.

Acts 20 Vs 32 shows us how d word of God also edifice. The word of God builds one up which is for edification.
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 6:18am On Mar 08, 2021
Tobechuckwu:

Everything u mentioned there are d gift of the holy ghost.
The holy ghost determine who nd what gift to give a believer, it isn't in our capacity to determine which one we need , but the holy ghost gives it himself.
But one can also desire a gift of the holy ghost.

Acts 20 Vs 32 shows us how d word of God also edifice. The word of God builds one up which is for edification.

You correctly said:

And so it is with the gift of tongues. The Holy Spirit gives at His own discretion to any believer for the Edification of the body of Christ.

The fact that a Christian prays in an unknown tongue doesn't mean that he has the GIFT of tongues.

Have you noticed that even in our various churches, it has been tactically forbidden for those with the gift of interpretation of tongues to function? When last did you see a church member speak in tongues and another church member give the interpretation of such tongues publicly during a Sunday service?

The real question should be:
Are you Born Again with the Evidence of the FRUIT of the Holy Spirit?

1 Like

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by naijapage(f): 6:59am On Mar 08, 2021
iamDrRhymes:
I used to have this roommate who was a member of one of these Pentecostal fellowships back then in campus. He had just graduated and was actually doing his clearance when I joined the room to replace him who was considerably older. So it happened one evening as we were getting to know ourselves better. He asked if I Customer Service was truly born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues which I told him that I do not. He went ahead intently to tell me if I know that I can be baptized by the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongue right there in our room. Well, I must confess that I wasn't buying his idea then because I didn't know what speaking in tongues will do for me and secondly, I was of the Jehovah's Witness' stand point as I had been welcoming their teaching for years earlier.

‭‭

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by magicfingers007(m): 7:47am On Mar 08, 2021
iamDrRhymes:

‭‭

Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 08, 2021
One mistake the modern believers do is picking someone on street and expect him to speak in tongues just after some prayer. There's a lot of corrections and teachings to be done. I've seen a comment section on facebook filled with tongues, like you comment with tongues and i reply with tongues.
Re: Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? by iamDrRhymes(m): 9:01am On Mar 09, 2021
HadeedHarry:
One mistake the modern believers do is picking someone on street and expect him to speak in tongues just after some prayer. There's a lot of corrections and teachings to be done. I've seen a comment section on facebook filled with tongues, like you comment with tongues and i reply with tongues.

Kai! Are you serious?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? / Why Didn't You Go To Church?? Sundays Frequently Asked Question / Corruption In Nigeria: Even In Churches, Ushers Steal From Offerings – PFN Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.