Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,819 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe (18868 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? / Have You Ever Lost A Job Or An Opportunity Because Of Your Personality?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by kaziblake(f): 11:44pm On Mar 19, 2021
This thing you said is common everywhere..For example,there is this new company here in Lagos and their staffs are 99.9 percent igbos and I don’t think any other tribe stand a chance to work there.The company is at surulere and I don’t wanna mention the name

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Kosk: 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2021
Paxxcarl:
now u stereotyping?
u pathetic being
Oh, Mr. Pathe...
I learnt that from your likes on here, hypocrites!!
Always playing the victim card like a female when things don't go their way.

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Gbagura: 11:50pm On Mar 19, 2021
I've said it that Igbos can't even play this tribal cards they claim to be good at. Yorubas treat their f'up silently with no noise. Those igbos that have been messed up several times understand what I'm saying. Those 'Lagos is a no man's land' chanters have had their fair share of the real owners of Lagos.

I love humanity regardless of who you are but growing up, I realized most igbos doesn't deserve to be loved cos they openly claim to hate you yet I don't understand why they've refused to stop coming to Yoruba land. You tend to hate people, you then had to come to their land to show them that you hate them and you expect not to be hammered on the head in response?

Civil War never ended in reality. The advantage Yoruba have is that people troop to our region more than the other way round.

Watch them start spewing trash instead of looking for ways to get their heads reset.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Gbagura: 11:50pm On Mar 19, 2021
kaziblake:
This thing you said is common everywhere..For example,there is this new company here in Lagos and their staffs are 99.9 percent igbos and I don’t think any other tribe stand a chance to work there.The company is at surulere and I don’t wanna mention the name
Expose them please.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 19, 2021
so Indians, Chinese, working in USA are supposed to be denied job opportunities

Nigeria can't move forward this way

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Bigdik70inch2(m): 11:55pm On Mar 19, 2021
And........who am i to stupidly employ them..........even when their rich ones r scared of doing the same ehn

An ndi Enugu business man...........once told me how risky it is employing fellow igbos into his companies..........said he had rather prefer settling for a complete non Igbo/stranger instead..............reason been that that single decision may bring about his sudden demise...........

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by semitunde: 11:58pm On Mar 19, 2021
kaziblake:
Funny enough it is common among igbos and a close friend have experienced it...When she stepped in and saw that almost all the workers were speaking Igbo she knew she wasn’t going to be employed and it happened that way.

Things are changing. Smarter private business owners now want tribal mix in their workforce.

We were contacted to help overhaul and recruit different levels of skilled workers for a company. The owner, an Igbo man, particularly insisted on having Yorubas for specific high-level roles in the company. When we didn't quickly find people that fit the job description of some of the roles, we decided to send him some Igbo candidate that matched, he refused them and insisted on his demands. His explanation was that a when the company is too homogeneous, experience has shown that it can be easily run down via collusion, and it's also part of the reason many igbo businesses don't outlast the owner.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by DOCU(m): 12:00am On Mar 20, 2021
Na so one Afonja landlord told me that he does not rent house to omo Ibo. I replied: 'baba, why do you think omo Ibo go live for this kind compound? I be goat? Omo Ibo get taste.'

The nasty experience might be that the omo Ibo refused to do 'ejoor, ejoor sir...epelee, epelee sir'. That was how they labeled him rude and disrespectful.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Kosk: 12:08am On Mar 20, 2021
DOCU:
Na so one Afonja landlord told me that he does not rent house to omo Ibo. I replied: 'baba, why do you think omo Ibo go live for this kind compound? I be goat? Omo Ibo get taste.'
Deep down you wished the man gave you the house, when one of my cousin failed to gain admission into her favorite fed university, she later settled for a state university and started condemning anything federal university, that's how I view your case.

The nasty experience might be that the omo Ibo refused to do 'ejoor, ejoor sir...epelee, epelee sir'. That was how they labeled him rude and disrespectful.
No, omo ibo tenants in Lagos are known to always owe a rent of 1year before leaving your house and they don't respect a signed agreement and court order.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by kaziblake(f): 12:13am On Mar 20, 2021
semitunde:

Things are changing. Smarter private business owners now want tribal mix in their workforce.

We were contacted to help overhaul and recruit different levels of skilled workers for a company. The owner, an Igbo man, particularly insisted on having Yorubas for specific high-level roles in the company. When we didn't quickly find people that fit the job description of some of the roles, we decided to send him some Igbo candidate that matched, he refused them and insisted on his demands. His explanation was that a when the company is too homogeneous, experience has shown that it can be easily run down via collusion, and it's also part of the reason many igbo businesses don't outlast the owner.
Okay I understand the man reasons even though I am suprised
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by kaziblake(f): 12:14am On Mar 20, 2021
Gbagura:
Expose them please.
Lol I can’t o,I don’t want wahala.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by kaziblake(f): 12:16am On Mar 20, 2021
DOCU:

Sir let us be sincere,some igbos destroy houses and even make it unbearable for the landlord same with Yorubas too but mehn Igbo own plenty.I am talking from experience sir.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by legba1(m): 12:23am On Mar 20, 2021
Fixey:

My project will be fully set up within a year I will also be careful with igbo appointments.

If igbos continues to see things as people hate them rather than infer rational lessons, there can't be behavioral improvement and betterment of the soul. It would pay you to listen to the counsel I raised. One side of me is from SE yet I dare to say what I say and stand by it.

The same attitude... In my Oldman compound in Okotawe use to be surrounded by this tribe, we have them as tenants and we get on well, yes there are a pocket here and there who will blow their sound systems at the peak volume and will call your bluffs when you complain but meeeen we had a great time together. No stereo typing.... We were brothers we were Nigerians...
Pls let stop this SE/SS/SW wahala.. It won't do us good as our common enemy is maintaining a single front. I come in peace

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Amaechi2023(m): 12:24am On Mar 20, 2021
feemi:
As an Igbo graduate,try join army through direct short service
no even go there.
NDA and short service carries same amount of people from every state and it's always published in newspapers.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by lagonovo: 12:31am On Mar 20, 2021
I see lots of talented script writers on this thread grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by frontliner065(m): 12:36am On Mar 20, 2021
Lyrics269:
My friend went to this job interview in Lagos and after passing through all the steps. The manager told him that his results were good but that they don't employ Igbo people in the organization because of the nasty experience they once had with an igbo employee. My friend was shocked and very depressed.
Have you ever lost a job because of your tribe

My experience: The Lady asked me my tribe, I said I am Igala. She replied that "She knows how my people are".

Me I was wondering maybe the boyfriend who broke her heart from Igala or her landlord or whosoever.

What surprised me the most what the effontry to not only ask, but to give her silly feedback openly, which alrwady signalled a red flag of me even joining them. Lo and behold, they didn't give me the offer.

This happened at ILUPEJU, LAGOS. The Lady is TOLU and the Organisation is THISTLE PRAXIS. I hope some bosses train their people to learn to put sentiments aside when sourcing for talents!
I hope someone else would not suffer bitterly having folks like that in positions.

Lastly I think it is best that beyond education, we should learn and try to travel. Get to know other ethnicities. Most of my Igbo and Yoruba friends still do NOT clearly understand the geo-cultural landscape in Middlebelt (so called North Central). This knowledge is really important and helpful beyond the classroom education.

9 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Jonathan39: 12:37am On Mar 20, 2021
You lack reasoning
jirehUB:
I’ve had an experience, but I’ll like to start by saying something my father used to say( he’s late now)
The white Americans( whatever this means) don’t like black Americans (whatever this means)

Black Americans don’t like African Americans( immigrants)

Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo don’t like themselves
Igbo man from Anambra feels he’s superior to Igbo man from Abia
Man from Aba feels he’s superior to man from Umuahia
Man from Umuahia south feels he’s superior to man from Umuahia north
The red blood cells are always at war with the white blood cells

It’s in human nature to despise what he’s not.

A few years ago an agent sent me to work for one Igbo man at Idumota Lagos.

When he saw me first thing he asked was “ are you from anambra?” I said no

Where are you from?

Abia state

Ahhh you’re my brother oo

Kee kwanu? ( how are you?)

I’m fine

What part of Abia are you from?

Umuahia

Umuahia... people from umuahia are always too stubborn, I don’t really like people from umuahia. I’m from Aba but my wife is from umuahia but she is the only good person from that side. grin All the other people I’ve met from umuahia are always rebellious, but I will try you and see sad . The other useless boy that left this shop is from anambra, that boy nearly created another shop inside my shop. He was making more money for himself than he was making for me. grin shocked umuahia people... umuahia people... I hope you are humble oo, I don’t want a situation where I will shout for you now and you start fighting me. This is my shop oo

I wasn’t angry that the man said those things about Umuahia people. People are an embodiment of their experiences, so we should cut them some slack.
We should strive to be better people
Be an example wherever we are
My best working experiences has been with people of other tribes, but it’s an individual thing.

Person wey good, good.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Eze2000(m): 12:41am On Mar 20, 2021
selemempe:
stop quoting me ogbeni. Tribalists always find a reason to back up their stupidity. Igbos are too enlightened to be bothered by your nonsense. Most of us are self employed or employers. You can take your nonsense scare-mongering to your fellow yorubas who can't do without white collar jobs

You just spoke my mind.

@fixey
Feel free to dump your project and come and work for me.
Oh, I am igbo man.

10 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by frank417: 12:42am On Mar 20, 2021
Tribalists feast

This nairaland tribalism trended on twitter recently, and many people said it is the reason why they dont visit nairaland anymore.

Dont know why people will just choose tribe over collaboration and performance, and yet they will still wish they are as successful as the owner of that big company or as glorified as that internationally recognised person.

#PerformanceOverTribe

#StopTribalism

#LetJesusLoveLead

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Jonathan39: 12:44am On Mar 20, 2021
So Yorubas now do better than Igbos in business? Even you as a recruiter had to enquire from the igbo man to know why he doesn't want a homogeneous work place, grin
semitunde:

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Draslo(m): 12:48am On Mar 20, 2021
grammarnazi12:

I don't even want to believe his story.

The guy was shortlisted despite his tribe. How then could he be rejected because of his tribe?
The op is just looking for a cheap opportunity to bash the Yoruba kinfolk

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 20, 2021
Kosk:

Oh, Mr. Pathe...
I learnt that from your likes on here, hypocrites!!
Always playing the victim card like a female when things don't go their way.
tribalistic bigot
doesn’t make you any different

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by BigIyanga: 12:49am On Mar 20, 2021
Fixey:

Smiles. I'm kin to SE. It's exactly why people should built healthy relationships with other people and not act irrationally. While there may be a claim on stereotypes, tribal hating and all, let's be objective that many times the igbo dude would act like to hell with it and goes all out to do and undo. This is what it always leads to... That attitude of I don't give a hoot and to hell with consequences. It's the exact attitude that makes people characterise the Igbos as people to be careful with. In this scenario, it's not tribal hating but what the average igbo man does.

Before anyone misconstrues my points. In all houses I've lived in, I've conducted myself so peaceable and gentle that mu landlords even friends all looked for people from my tribe to get involved with. Why? Their experiences from dealing with me. Close to 4 friends got married to people from my tribe because of how how interconnected with me and how I impressed on them. Regardless of what happens in all the houses I lived in, nothing touches me. In the village I have projects setup, people love me from the entrance of the city into the interiors

My dear, tell igbos to stop the to hell attitude and work on building good relations with people. There are thousands of such stories above. It's not tribal hating, it's the igbotic attitude
Typical Naija tribalist thinks he is ‘objective’ in executing his tribalistic tendencies and stereotypes. The fact thar this post got more likes than OP’s exprience shows you what is wrong with Naija. A country filled by religious folks but peopled by soulless and hate-filled citizens

11 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 20, 2021
Jonathan39:
You lack reasoning

Encyclopedia sir, u have the floor undecided
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by hansomb: 12:55am On Mar 20, 2021
SouthNigerian:

We can only encourage ourselves.

cc selemempe

Our utterances have an impact in the Unity of the South. Be watchful of the things you say here, don't be a willful and ignorant tool of the caliphate.

South Nigeria, we marching on.
u are the ignorant here. Why is it that most tribes that has not travell out of there territory and live in other tribes land have less exposure , tolerance and civility than those who have ? Travelling is indeed part of education.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by PoloG: 12:57am On Mar 20, 2021
Na wa for Nigerians and tribalism ooh... make we divide make all this nonsense stop.. atleast we go build border wall to separate ourselves and we go need visa to enter the next country

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Kosk: 12:59am On Mar 20, 2021
Paxxcarl:
tribalistic bigot
doesn’t make you any different
You're a tribalistic bigot too. So, stop playing the victim card here!!
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 20, 2021
Kosk:

i am a tribalistic bigot too. i like playing the victim card here!!
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Ashirioluwa: 1:13am On Mar 20, 2021
Go through what our youths wrote concerning this question then you will see the reason why Nigerian youths cannot be trusted with the governance of this country. These youths are not better than the likes of Buhari / Tinubu / Jonathan / Atiku.

From this post you can see that Nigerian youths are Tribalistic in nature. Same country, same people still we are discriminating against each other.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Starpro87(m): 1:13am On Mar 20, 2021
grammarnazi12:

I don't even want to believe his story.

The guy was shortlisted despite his tribe. How then could he be rejected because of his tribe?

Don't forget a company may contract their recruitment to another (recruiting) firm.

Quite at the shortlisting and written interview stages, the recruiter might still be PROFESSIONALLY unbiased.

Then the shit will play out once the candidate gets to the final stage of the recruitment where he may, as a requirement, meet with the so called business owner.

I had, nearly, a similar experience very recently but I don't want to conclude yet because it is still fresh.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 1:22am On Mar 20, 2021
Buchitoochi:
Yoruba or Hausa owned companies rarely employ Igbo. In the days I was addicted to reading newspapers l have discovered that the western Media don't usually have three or less Igbo employee unlike the Igbo Media companies,like The sun, that usually have Yorubas in the topmost position of the organization. I later did a research and found out that the situation is even worst in other sectors. This
So the Sun editor in chief that later went to on to become buhari p.a femi is no longer yoruba ?

That's the biggest igbo News paper ....headed for years by yoruba ....oya name one yoruba company headed by igbo

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 1:24am On Mar 20, 2021
Some of these things we have been fed since we were young. One of the hardest things as a human is to unlearn what had been ingrained in you. Why do we judge people based on bad experience? What about the times an igbo man has helped you or a Yorubas woman has done something good for you? No tribe is perfect neither is any race. Stop hating people based on tribe.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Very Important Information. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. / The Worst Employer You Ever Worked With And Why Did You Quit? / Why I Got Rejected At A Customer Care Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.