Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,351 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe (18880 Views)

Third Class Graduates: How Do You Feel When Denied A Job Due To Class Of Degree / Have You Ever Lost A Job Offer Because You Negotiated Your Salary Too High? / Have You Ever Lost A Job Or An Opportunity Because Of Your Personality?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 1:24am On Mar 20, 2021
vickydevoka:
I be igbo buh to be honest igbo people snubs and look down on someone especially if de person is poor , out women are good at dat one.

Abia na open conversation and public relations Yoruba and hausa Women are 100 x better than igbo women.

I went to school in de east buh I no fit base there at all. North or south abeg. Make person no get hbp say him never blow
No true igbo son is afraid of intimidation ....we see if as motivation ....go find where u are from ooh

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by amuwo1980: 1:25am On Mar 20, 2021
In own experience of working in Nigeria and abroad, the human being is still base, tribe, skin color and cultural affiliation plays a big role in most of activities and how we relate to ppl, the answer to the above question is obvious , the yoruba world view is Yoruba first before even the truth, a Yoruba HR person is the to simply look out for his kit and kin,a Yoruba supervisor assigns duties mostly based on egbon and omolabi idealogy , yes the igbos as long as Nigeria is concerned have been pushed by the ppl and the government to the penumbra of the national discourse , yes you my Yoruba reader know this is true.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Blitz888(m): 1:25am On Mar 20, 2021
grammarnazi12:

I don't even want to believe his story.

The guy was shortlisted despite his tribe. How then could he be rejected because of his tribe?
His story is very believable. Had same experience April 2012 in one of the new generation banks, where my tribe became the subject of intense debate after an excellent showing. Thank God I didn't get the job cos today I am in a better place and the said bank is now a relic in the history books.
Kept asking myself, why shortlist me for interview when you're sure not to hire people from my tribe?

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 20, 2021
hollah123:
guy it's like I know d company d op is talking about,I also had a very bitter experience with an Igbo guy n I am 100% sure the company never employ an Igbo staff till date.

We were like 7 guys posted to a neighbouring state from d company on a contract job of 7 months of which they are to provide accommodation for us with light,water n other conveniences.
we got to the site n they kept us in a face me I slap u with no light n water,we complained to our team leader n he told us everything is under control n negotiation that since they didn't provide conveniences as stated that we will b compensated.unknown to us that this guy have sent a report to head office that we have been well taken care of and he even went to the extent of snapping an hotel n sending it to d head office claiming it was our lodge.

we suffered throughout our stay n these Igbo team leader keep blocking all attempt to reach our head office, unknown to us that he has been heavily settled without paying us a dime.

After,the contract each if us wrote individual report n submitted it to the head office only for it to contradict what our Igbo team leader claimed.
A round table meeting was called and the guy was sacked n I remember d MD made a statement jokingly n I quote "it's like u Igbos need money than all of us ooo, maybe we should hold on for u b4 u sell all of us"......till now I learnt they haven't employed any Igbo till date.

I don't know what makes d Igbos think they are smarter than others n they need money than others
Lmao so supervisors eating money is now an igbo thing ... lmao

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by ThatFairGuy1: 1:32am On Mar 20, 2021
selemempe:
stop quoting me ogbeni. Tribalists always find a reason to back up their stupidity. Igbos are too enlightened to be bothered by your nonsense. Most of us are self employed or employers. You can take your nonsense scare-mongering to your fellow yorubas who can't do without white collar jobs
We're being careful of not going tribalistic yet you keep proving that man right. angry
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 1:37am On Mar 20, 2021
amuwo1980:
In own experience of working in Nigeria and abroad, the human being is still base, tribe, skin color and cultural affiliation plays a big role in most of activities and how we relate to ppl, the answer to the above question is obvious , the yoruba world view is Yoruba first before even the truth, a Yoruba HR person is the to simply look out for his kit and kin,a Yoruba supervisor assigns duties mostly based on egbon and omolabi idealogy , yes the igbos as long as Nigeria is concerned have been pushed by the ppl and the government to the penumbra of the national discourse , yes you my Yoruba reader know this is true.

Stop seeing the world as black and white. You people clearly hate Yorubas and I wonder why so much hatred. Why hate those who host you? My father or mother has never sat me down and start telling me how bad igbo people are. I can't say same for igbos. We have been good to most of you but you just hate yoruba for no reason.

No matter how you try to hide it, nairaland is a place where i got to see the heart an average igboman has towards YORUBA. Filled with nothing but bile and unnecessary hatred. Yet I've met good igbo friends they just have this "yoruba person" thoughts all over them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by kitombo: 1:42am On Mar 20, 2021
@OP, your friend can't be serious with his assertion of bias. Does he mean the company didn't know he was Igbo before been invited for interview and going through the recruitment steps? If that was the case, his application would have been screened out ab initio.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by doxijaw: 1:45am On Mar 20, 2021
I'll never understand this tribalism thing, didn't even know there's tribalism untill I came across it on nairaland.

In real life I've dated girls who i assumed were Igbo, could have been wrong. grin

Can't even differentiate between edo , Igbo , etc ,not familiar with the smaller tribes, like who is who grin

Well I guess tribalism affects those who live away from their ancestral home.. which I never experienced.

Like someone said maybe it's human nature to prefer your kind and have biases towards others.

In the global order, it's a bit more complicated.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by mabea: 1:57am On Mar 20, 2021
vickydevoka:
I be igbo buh to be honest igbo people snubs and look down on someone especially if de person is poor , out women are good at dat one.

Abia na open conversation and public relations Yoruba and hausa Women are 100 x better than igbo women.

I went to school in de east buh I no fit base there at all. North or south abeg. Make person no get hbp say him never blow
Please remind me of the topic again

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by eagleu: 1:59am On Mar 20, 2021
Fixey:

Smiles. I'm kin to SE. It's exactly why people should built healthy relationships with other people and not act irrationally. While there may be a claim on stereotypes, tribal hating and all, let's be objective that many times the igbo dude would act like to hell with it and goes all out to do and undo. This is what it always leads to... That attitude of I don't give a hoot and to hell with consequences. It's the exact attitude that makes people characterise the Igbos as people to be careful with. In this scenario, it's not tribal hating but what the average igbo man does.

Before anyone misconstrues my points. In all houses I've lived in, I've conducted myself so peaceable and gentle that mu landlords even friends all looked for people from my tribe to get involved with. Why? Their experiences from dealing with me. Close to 4 friends got married to people from my tribe because of how how interconnected with me and how I impressed on them. Regardless of what happens in all the houses I lived in, nothing touches me. In the village I have projects setup, people love me from the entrance of the city into the interiors

My dear, tell igbos to stop the to hell attitude and work on building good relations with people. There are thousands of such stories above. It's not tribal hating, it's the igbotic attitude

Sad.
Bigotry
Tribalism
Ethnicism

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by mabea: 2:05am On Mar 20, 2021
hollah123:
guy it's like I know d company d op is talking about,I also had a very bitter experience with an Igbo guy n I am 100% sure the company never employ an Igbo staff till date.

We were like 7 guys posted to a neighbouring state from d company on a contract job of 7 months of which they are to provide accommodation for us with light,water n other conveniences.
we got to the site n they kept us in a face me I slap u with no light n water,we complained to our team leader n he told us everything is under control n negotiation that since they didn't provide conveniences as stated that we will b compensated.unknown to us that this guy have sent a report to head office that we have been well taken care of and he even went to the extent of snapping an hotel n sending it to d head office claiming it was our lodge.

we suffered throughout our stay n these Igbo team leader keep blocking all attempt to reach our head office, unknown to us that he has been heavily settled without paying us a dime.

After,the contract each if us wrote individual report n submitted it to the head office only for it to contradict what our Igbo team leader claimed.
A round table meeting was called and the guy was sacked n I remember d MD made a statement jokingly n I quote "it's like u Igbos need money than all of us ooo, maybe we should hold on for u b4 u sell all of us"......till now I learnt they haven't employed any Igbo till date.

I don't know what makes d Igbos think they are smarter than others n they need money than others
I don't why you people reason like this but I must say it is the most irrational way of reasoning. I can share a similar experience with a yoruba supervisor but that won't make me call out all yorubas. There's no crime the Igbos commit that the other tribes don't but then you people must call out the Igbos at every given situation.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by TinubuGoQuench(f): 2:57am On Mar 20, 2021
Fixey:

Smiles. I'm kin to SE. It's exactly why people should built healthy relationships with other people and not act irrationally. While there may be a claim on stereotypes, tribal hating and all, let's be objective that many times the igbo dude would act like to hell with it and goes all out to do and undo. This is what it always leads to... That attitude of I don't give a hoot and to hell with consequences. It's the exact attitude that makes people characterise the Igbos as people to be careful with. In this scenario, it's not tribal hating but what the average igbo man does.

Before anyone misconstrues my points. In all houses I've lived in, I've conducted myself so peaceable and gentle that mu landlords even friends all looked for people from my tribe to get involved with. Why? Their experiences from dealing with me. Close to 4 friends got married to people from my tribe because of how how interconnected with me and how I impressed on them. Regardless of what happens in all the houses I lived in, nothing touches me. In the village I have projects setup, people love me from the entrance of the city into the interiors

My dear, tell igbos to stop the to hell attitude and work on building good relations with people. There are thousands of such stories above. It's not tribal hating, it's the igbotic attitude

YOU BETTER SHUT UP THERE!!!
PAID TRIBAL AGENT

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 3:04am On Mar 20, 2021
The ironic part about your episode is that somehow Nigeria has divided itself even in terms of Jobs, you would see a particular tribe dominating a particular sector at the expense of other tribes.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by zigzagluv: 3:10am On Mar 20, 2021
The problem with the igbo people is they believe they are better than everybody,
Baamisere:

Stop seeing the world as black and white. You people clearly hate Yorubas and I wonder why so much hatred. Why hate those who host you? My father or mother has never sat me down and start telling me how bad igbo people are. I can't say same for igbos. We have been good to most of you but you just hate yoruba for no reason.

No matter how you try to hide it, nairaland is a place where i got to see the heart an average igboman has towards YORUBA. Filled with nothing but bile and unnecessary hatred. Yet I've met good igbo friends they just have this "yoruba person" thoughts all over them.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by heendrix(m): 3:10am On Mar 20, 2021
hollah123:

They're just like that but I decided to keep my side of story cuz Igbos on this forum will be ready to roast me with Gas cooker and ion have the time to trade words

Anyways myself is one of those who never does Business with Igbo pple except you buy from me and pay in cash Bfr buying at it

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by TheRealestGuy(m): 3:37am On Mar 20, 2021
Stereotypes will always exist whether we like it or not.

However, it is a pretty known fact that the Igbo man is the most detribalised Nigerian.

That is why he is able to live in every nook and cranny if the world.

Now in my experience with Yorubas, having been born and lived in Lagos and Ogun states for many many years, I have come to the conclusion that the average Yoruba man is very tribalistic and will easily take the crown in that aspect.

This is not to absolve the Igbo or Hausa but I have seen firsthand that when it comes to the three major tribes, Yoruba easily takes the cake.

You can quote me and cry all you want, it's the simple truth.

That is not to say that Yorubas are bad people.

If you're intelligent enough to read in between the lines of my post them kudos to you.

If not, keep crying in the quotes.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by olmoRoc: 3:48am On Mar 20, 2021
Yes, at an oil company in the early 90s. I was told I wasn't an indigene by several of the panelist.

It was the same story at NNPC. They were looking to hire locals - that was what the Info man who was one of the interviewers told me. When I relented, he started saying my school cert wasn't mine because he didn't see me scoring an "A" in physics.

It was humiliating. He actually kept on until one of his peers shouted that that wasn't the reason we were there.

If you're still at NNPC Mr. Ibo man and reading this, just know that for the last 18 years, I've been earning more than you besides what you make through corruption and bunkering.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by GeneralPula: 4:00am On Mar 20, 2021
Gbagura:
I hate this nonsense talks from you dumb heads. Who's competing with who? Igbo man no even dey top 10 richest men in Nigeria. You're just glorified traders leveraging on Yoruba ports for survival and aside super eagles and your igbo-speaking nollywood, tell me the industry the igbo come close to Yoruba.

You cause problems everywhere you go. You brought the hatred you have for Yoruba to Yoruba soil and expect a pat on the back? Most landlords in Lagos have made it clear not to give out their house to igbo thanks to past experiences. You need to address your characters very well, work on your attitude before jumping bus to Lagos. Not everyone kicks their parents with sliding tackle to wake them from bed like you do.

If you can't adapt with our ways of life, I don't know what you're still doing on our soil. Only few of you have manners and that could be because they've lived with us for long. Most of you relate with others the way you relates with yourselves in alaigbo and you expect us to embrace you. Nobody write letters to igbos to jump many south south states before entering southwest.

Do anyhow, you see anyhow. Ire oo
One scenario happened when I was at Benin Republic about years ago...This dude came to the street I was at to rent a house. Was chilling outside our compound that very day... When he passed by my front, he greeted me which made me know he was a Nigerian..

When he got to the house with this particular agent, the landlord, a Benin breed, first question was which state in Nigeria are you from? The dude was surprised - tho he was from Edo... The landlord was like he had stopped renting out house to people from Abia & Ebonyi state of origin..

The dude told me that very day that he has been to 2 different houses that rejected him cuz they don’t wanna rent out house to Nigerians anymore..

People try to avoid Yeeboz because of their lackadaisical attitude & their 2 by 2 medulla.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by CSTRR: 4:10am On Mar 20, 2021
A lot of brain dead arguments here. Crazy.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by nonut: 4:19am On Mar 20, 2021
zigzagluv:
The problem with the igbo people is they believe they are better than everybody,
Inferiority complex is your real problem, not Igbos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by uckennety(m): 4:28am On Mar 20, 2021
hollah123:

that MD that said that is a compound ediot

that you hired someone who is greedy doesn't mean that all igbos are like that

secondly sacking him wasn't the best way to punish him

salary reductions was just the unique way

that statement that you igbos need money than us! is a very stupid statement and unprofessional

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Emmbanny(m): 4:57am On Mar 20, 2021
IME1:
This your topic is real and needs addressing.

I wanted to share my experiences - had and heard

But I figured that the thread will become tribalistic, biased, volatile, heated and painful memories will once again arise, once people start sharing their experiences. Some did not lose the job but are being denied promotion, or being harmed in ways so they quit themselves, or being denied what others of that tribe are benefiting.

The Bible said in Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: Proverbs 6:19 a false witness who gives false testimony, and one who stirs up discord among brothers.

Stay well
@ op your friend will get a better job this month in Jesus name, amen. But tell him I said that he should not repeat the evil he has received whenever he is such position to hire, but show to be a better person by never discriminating against any tribe, especially that tribe who rejected him. If not, he will become like they he condemns undecided
God will surly bless you. In Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by RuddyFusion(m): 5:10am On Mar 20, 2021
It is well......
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by McLizbae: 5:10am On Mar 20, 2021
OP intentionally didn't mention the tribe of the boss in that company, because he intentionally wants you to pick your gun and shoot your very own, and that was what many of you predictably did. Shame!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by FatherCHRlSTMAS: 5:17am On Mar 20, 2021
Yo u can't lose what you don't have
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by FatherCHRlSTMAS: 5:18am On Mar 20, 2021
McLizbae:
OP intentionally didn't mention the tribe of the boss in that company, because he intentionally wants you to pick your gun and shoot your very own, and that was what many of you predictably did. Shame!
Exactly... But many are too blind to see that

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by BaddaMan: 5:32am On Mar 20, 2021
I recently got sideline from a business because the man who wants to give me the business met someone from his town for the first time and gave him all the business, I didn’t even stress myself what’s mine will be mine.
Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Princeton92(m): 5:33am On Mar 20, 2021
Yes oo, Dangote Cement Obese, Ogun State where I was posted to during NYSC... The HR didn't pick me N some other guy cause we're not from the North but he pick the guy who's from Plateau State after telling us there's no vacancy.
Another OrangApples Technology in Osun State

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Nobody: 5:37am On Mar 20, 2021
However, it is a pretty known fact that the Igbo man is the most detribalised Nigerian

That's is a lie from pit of hell, reason igbo man is found everywhere is because of their business not because they love other tribes or Nigeria.

Every Nigeria is a tribalist, Nigeria is a failed project

Bye

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by Emotionss: 5:40am On Mar 20, 2021
[color=#006600][/color]
Fixey:

My project will be fully set up within a year I will also be careful with igbo appointments.

If igbos continues to see things as people hate them rather than infer rational lessons, there can't be behavioral improvement and betterment of the soul. It would pay you to listen to the counsel I raised. One side of me is from SE yet I dare to say what I say and stand by it.

That is your choice sir.
With the way you're acting all righteous I already know your tribe.

As for me I have done business dealings with a lot of people but if I have my way I will avoid the Yorubas if not for anything for their pretentious and holier than thau attitude when in reality they not nothing but hypocritical cutthroats. The igbos have their problem but with an igbo man you know what you're getting.

With this your holier than thou Attitude I don't need anyone to tell me your tribe. Pretentious cowards.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Lost A Job Due To Your Tribe by nevilbot: 6:00am On Mar 20, 2021
Yes I have. During nysc posting in IMO state. Lost a posting at the state ministry of health to another guy who studied the same course as me because he was Igbo and I was not. We even both had to see the commissioner and what played out in front of me was surreal.

But losing that posting was a blessing in disguise. Ended up serving in a sec school teaching biology and that was where I met my helper another wonderful Igbo woman who catapulted me to where I am today with a loan of 1m back in 2014. I pray for that woman everyday and on my next trip home I'm going to travel all d way to owerri to surprise that angelic woman

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) OND Internship Program 2019 - Nationwide / Why I Got Rejected At A Customer Care Interview / Fidelity Bank Recruitment Coming Soon!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.