Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,897 members, 7,806,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti (6383 Views)

Famine Looms As Sokoto Traders Flood Niger Republic’s Markets With Local Rice / Nigeria Heading For Famine Due To Boko Haram Killings — Kaduna Farmers / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by ogododo: 11:37am On Mar 08, 2021
Ahead of the next planting season, the Ekiti State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), has raised the alarm that there might be shortage of food in the State with the rate at which fire has been ravaging food and cash crops across the 16 local government areas of the state.

The Chairman of the agency, Capt Sunday Adebomi (rtd), said the recent fire incident in the state had affected about nine local governments and rendered about 2400 farmers jobless, which he described as a bad omen for food production and supply.

Adebomi raised the fear on Monday while inspecting some cocoa, oil palm as well as food and cash crop plantations destroyed by inferno in Omuo and Omu, in Ekiti East and Oye Local Government Areas of the state respectively.

He lamented that food and cash crops estimated about five thousand hectares were destroyed during the fire disaster and has affected the development of agriculture in the state.

Adebomi noted that the development if not properly checked would lead to famine later in the year. He expressed optimism that the present administration in Ekiti State under the leadership of Dr Kayode Fayemi would do everything to bring sucour to the farmers.

“Let me give the assurance that the government would always do everything to guarantee the safety of lives and property of farmers in the state. So, don’t panic as government has concluded plans to empower them.

“I admonish our farmers to see the fire incident as a major challenge for them to do more and embrace mechanized farming, as government would do everything to empower them.

“See this fire disaster as a challenge for you to redouble your efforts and embrace planting of more food crops. This is the best move that would further tackle the imminent food shortage in respect of the fire disaster”.

Adebomi explained that arrangement has been concluded by the Ekiti State Government for a total reengineering of agricultural by involving key policymakers and youths to actively participate in the delopement of the agricultural sector.

Speaking on the destruction, a 75-year-old man and a retired civil servant in Ikota Omuo-Ekiti, who gave his name as Mr. Sunday Fajana, said he lost about five hectares of cocoa and oil palm plantation to the inferno.

He explained that, “the fire incident which started at about 9pm destroyed all what I have laboured for since I retired from the Ekiti civil service. I appeal to government and public-spirited individuals to assist me financially”.

The Owajumu of Omu-Ekiti, Oye local government, Oba Ogundeji Adeyeye, lamented the incident, which he said has affected about 50 farmers in his community.

The traditional ruler appealed to the government as well as the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to come to the aides of the people of the community as the fire has destroyed all agricultural products in his community.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/03/08/sema-raises-alarm-over-looming-food-scarcity-famine-in-ekiti/

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Redoil: 11:42am On Mar 08, 2021
the saddest part is that the hausa fulani are dangling carrot (Presidential seat ) in front of yoruba governors promising to make all of them president after buhari tinunbu.

i pity yoruba people

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by theBLOODofJESUS(f): 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2021
Hmm.. This is serious.

He explained that, “the fire incident which started at about 9pm destroyed all what I have laboured for since I retired from the Ekiti civil service. I appeal to government and public-spirited individuals to assist me financially”.

Redoil:
the saddest part is that the hausa fulani are dangling carrot (Presidential seat ) in front of yoruba governors promising to make all of them president after buhari tinunbu.

i pity yoruba people

osuofia2:
Hope the skull miners wont blame Fulani's for this

When will this hatred end?

4 Likes

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by ugochukwufrenzy: 12:25pm On Mar 08, 2021
dats not an issue,,,they will just eat their gbegiri and hydraulic green soup,,,nothing can stop afon.ja presidency come 2023
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by osuofia2(m): 12:25pm On Mar 08, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2021
Remove no mans land and u will see nothing separates the remaining 5 brown roof from north east

8 Likes

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by AsawanaDgreat: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2021
Hunga even dey the State before
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Tranquility4u: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2021
We have to go and invest money massively on farming for our country to thrive socially, economically and developmentally.

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by pretydiva(f): 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2021
These people should stop giving people high blood pressure Biko. The issue of herders grazing on people's farm land needs to be addressed before it gets out of hand
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Xscape047: 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2021
Nawao0 this kon3 nawao0
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by gasparpisciotta: 12:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
Propaganda
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by GeneralPula: 12:31pm On Mar 08, 2021
Propanganda..
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by bigdammyj: 12:31pm On Mar 08, 2021
Noted
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2021
The Fula are the ones setting those fires under cover of darkness

Yesterday, stupid Fayemi told them Ekiti is their home, today we see the results of such foolishness. Meanwhile in other news, Yoruba leaders and their Fula allies are congratulating the Dwarf of Perfidy for a life spent in the service of Mammon.

6 Likes

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Lincoln275(m): 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2021
Hmmm! Famine
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2021
na Ado ekiti I dey here so. Which food famine abi surplus food no one to buy them. I doubt this story. Food can easily be brought in from other states

1 Like

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by ngadaAwo: 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2021
grin
nyolobar Muslims are busy sniffing Kanu's pant while hunger dey bulalar them.
criminal Tinubu have looted them dry

1 billion gang loading grin

cc
Simplyleo

1 Like

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Machinegun91(m): 12:36pm On Mar 08, 2021
Benue people should go and marry from those hunger prone states to help curb the hunger doom. 1 man 8 wives
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by abfemi163: 12:36pm On Mar 08, 2021
Southerners go back to the farm
Just like Nehemiah did Go back home build and defend your territory
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by yrex01(m): 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2021
osuofia2:
na dem mine ur brain ?

2 Likes

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Enudapan: 12:38pm On Mar 08, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

Hunger dey everywhere for this country
Laa
Nah y all of us they grind/hustle and bomb steadily
Buh Las las
Na who comot this country
Nah en cashout fast
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by slivertongue: 12:41pm On Mar 08, 2021
wahala be like Apc
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by gbemmyjoseph(m): 12:47pm On Mar 08, 2021
Nigeria government with their daily joke... Still available for your SOLAR AND INVERTER INSTALLATION. SECURITY FENCE CCTV CAMERA. CALL GBEMILEKE ON 08068618438
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 08, 2021
angry

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Nigeriabiafra80: 12:47pm On Mar 08, 2021
Ok

Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by OgbanjeProphet: 12:50pm On Mar 08, 2021
Buhari is working embarassed
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Patrioticman007(m): 12:53pm On Mar 08, 2021
The Aboki food lords must be pleased for these famine to end.
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Xcelinteriors(f): 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2021
God have mercy

Click the link below for 3D wallpaper and window blind
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by nairalandankrah: 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2021
GBOKASINCHA:
Remove no mans land and u will see nothing separates the remaining 5 brown roof from north east
grin you are wicked ooo..but what happens when you now remove the developers from 'no mans land?
Re: SEMA Raises Alarm Over Looming Food Scarcity, Famine In Ekiti by Redcrafton: 1:03pm On Mar 08, 2021
OgbanjeProphet:
Buhari is working embarassed

How is this Buhari's fault?

Most governors now are more into condolence visits, then visit farm settlements to encourage farmers.

They are lazy with monthly allocations from Abuja.

This is Ekiti governor on the house of a hard working farmer killed in his farm.

Why won't there be food scarcity?

The ONLY people who are not tired of Nigeria are people like Femi Adeshina, Garba Shehu, Laurette Onochie and loads of BMC here on Nairaland, like Mannegrill..., Omenka and the newly recruited half educated Lyrics269.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Rabbit Farming Is Far Better And More Profitable Than Grass Cutter Farming / Yam & fufu commercial Pounder.. / Simple Ways Of Calculating Plant Population In Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.