Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,977 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility (718 Views)

Got An International Job / Life in Beijing As an International Student. / These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by oxygen25: 2:27pm On Mar 08, 2021
Hi People,

A friend needs my advice. Currently a Permanent Resident in a developed country, think Germany/US/Canada/Australia/New Zealand. Just got a very good gig with an international institution (USAID/UN/WB/IMF/CDC/WTO). Role will give her mobility and take her around the world, but a bit worried that she won’t have the chance to become a citizen in current place of residence. But then, such job opportunities come once in a lifetime.

What advise do you have for her?

It’s a true dilemma, not made up.
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by Abatemtem(m): 2:48pm On Mar 08, 2021
Global citizen
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:55pm On Mar 08, 2021
Citizenship. Such jobs are always available. Mercy Ships and Sea Shepherd, alongside thousands of NGOS are always recruiting and they work globally. Her permanent residency can be revoked if she's out of the country she got it for a long time and that's a big problem as she might need to come back to Nigeria if she's Nigerian.
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by oxygen25: 3:40pm On Mar 08, 2021
Abatemtem:
Global citizen

Hmmmm, you mean citizenship better than the job?

1 Like

Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by oxygen25: 3:44pm On Mar 08, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Citizenship. Such jobs are always available. Mercy Ships and Sea Shepherd, alongside thousands of NGOS are always recruiting and they work globally. Her permanent residency can be revoked if she's out of the country she got it for a long time and that's a big problem as she might need to come back to Nigeria if she's Nigerian.

She’s Nigerian. Not to counter your points, but the job is not NGO stuffs, pure finance role with a global development finance institution (tax free) with opportunity to work in Latin America, Asia, Europe and Middle East.

Not sure she can get anything like that easily in the nearest future because of age, amassing other experience that may not be relevant to her for such jobs.

But you are right, she might be back in Nigeria if she eventually leaves the firm or better still get another job in Europe with possibility of getting a permanent stay.

Very tricky stuff, if I may say.
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2021
oxygen25:

She’s Nigerian. Not to counter your points, but the job is not NGO stuffs, pure finance role with a global development finance institution (tax free) with opportunity to work in Latin America, Asia, Europe and Middle East.

Not sure she can get anything like that easily in the nearest future because of age, amassing other experience that may not be relevant to her for such jobs.

But you are right, she might be back in Nigeria if she eventually leaves the firm or better still get another job in Europe with possibility of getting a permanent stay.

Very tricky stuff, if I may say.
I would still choose a citizenship. There's nothing like once in a lifetime opportunity. I see a lot of amazing opportunities strictly for citizens of developed nations. With her permanent residency she has work rights in the country she got it. She should get another job and work towards having a citizenship plus a stronger passport will grant her access to more of these opportunities as she needs not process a visa for a lot of places she would be travelling to.

1 Like

Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by oxygen25: 4:39pm On Mar 08, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I would still choose a citizenship. There's nothing like once in a lifetime opportunity. I see a lot of amazing opportunities strictly for citizens of developed nations. With her permanent residency she has work rights in the country she got it. She should get another job and work towards having a citizenship plus a stronger passport will grant her access to more of these opportunities as she needs not process a visa for a lot of places she would be travelling to.

Hmmmm, interesting point. What if she goes there, work for 3-4 years then return to the country before PR expiration to get citizenship by staying there for some years?

Just thought about that option now. What do you think?
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:50pm On Mar 08, 2021
oxygen25:

Hmmmm, interesting point. What if she goes there, work for 3-4 years then return to the country before PR expiration to get citizenship by staying there for some years?

Just thought about that option now. What do you think?
It's possible but she should really do research on the country's immigration laws and if possible talk to an immigration lawyer about her options O.
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 08, 2021
I would say citizenship , this is on the premise that she is in Europe.

With that citizenship she stands more chance of meeting such jobs in the future as her passport would grant her access to europe and americas.

More like planning long term than short term
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by TWoods(m): 12:06am On Mar 09, 2021
oxygen25:
Hi People,

A friend needs my advice. Currently a Permanent Resident in a developed country, think Germany/US/Canada/Australia/New Zealand. Just got a very good gig with an international institution (USAID/UN/WB/IMF/CDC/WTO). Role will give her mobility and take her around the world, but a bit worried that she won’t have the chance to become a citizen in current place of residence. But then, such job opportunities come once in a lifetime.

What advise do you have for her?

It’s a true dilemma, not made up.

She should be able to have both. I know the US allows you to remain a resident if you need to travel for work and still be able to count that time towards your citizenship application. Also she needs to figure out what the requirements are for maintaining a residency permit while spending significant time outside the country. If she is a US resident then say so, many here can help her with the info she needs.
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by Cousin9999: 4:12am On Mar 09, 2021
Citizenship. Unless the citizenship is in a garbage country, and the job is for a Brit/American/Canadian company.
Re: Citizenship Or An International Job With Global Mobility by good4all40: 12:47pm On Mar 09, 2021
Citizenship of course, nothing beats that if it is one of the first world countries.

Trust me, she will get such job again in the future or something better nothing like a life time opportunity as long as she is still alive, more opportunity will surely come with patience, dedication and hardwork.

But l will suggest if this post can get to the Front Page for wider audience and inputs.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

.... Just asking for a friend / Skiing With My Friends In Montana USA / Means To Migrate To Poland Very Soon..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.