Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,981 members, 7,799,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. (2385 Views)

40 Incorrect English Statements Nigerians Make / Nigerians Speak On Their "Cold Room" Experience / Five Statements We Shouldn't Just Accept (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Bhams: 12:49am On Mar 09, 2021
In Nigeria, English Language is not our native language; it's not a bad thing if you don't always speak it correctly.The bad thing is if you don't always strive to learn the correct way of speaking the language.Here are some of those grammatical errors:

1.Incorrect: Gabriel, while you're coming back from school,branch at Emeka's shop.He'll give you something.
Correct:Gabriel, while you're coming back from school, call at Emeka's shop.He'll give you something.
2.Incorrect:Jessica, did you cook the stew?
Correct: Jessica, did you cook the sauce?
3.Incorrect:Tell her to dispose that food.
Correct:Tell her to dispose of that food.
4.Incorrect:It was her that fell the blackboard.
Correct: It was she that fell the blackboard.
5.Incorrect:We saw much shoes in the room.
Correct: We saw many shoes in the room.
Note:"Much" is used with uncountable nouns, while "many" is used with countable nouns.
6.Incorrect: It's alright.Everything will be fine
Correct: It's all right.Everything will be fine.
7.Incorrect: Bryan, why don't you go and toast that girl.It seems you like her. (welcome, toasting machine)
Correct: Bryan, why don't you go and woo that girl.It seems you like her.
8.Incorrect: He is a stranger, he came to see our parents.
Correct: He is a visitor, he came to see our parents.
9.Incorrect: You came in time.
Correct: You came eventually.
10.Incorrect:This task will need an hour.
Correct:This task will take an hour.
See the complete list here:
http:///s32631e87210308en_ng?link=1
Don't forget to add to the list.
Challenge:Submit a list of 10 such incorrect statements.
Let's see the winner.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by YorubaPrince: 5:33am On Mar 09, 2021
sad
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by harmargedon: 7:03am On Mar 09, 2021
The Americans speak far worse English than we do, So it's the Nigerian English, let's speak it the way we like it.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Lyrics269: 7:45am On Mar 09, 2021
@OP Nigerian English is different from British or American English...leave us alone

8 Likes

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by mrdan(m): 8:49am On Mar 09, 2021
I disagree with your number 2. There is a difference between stew and sauce. They can both stand alone. The 2 lines are therefore correct.

Stew -- A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy. Ingredients in a stew can include any combination of vegetables (such as carrots, potatoes, onions, beans, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes) and may include meat, especially tougher meats suitable for slow-cooking, such as beef, poultry, sausages, and seafood.

Sauce -- In cooking, a sauce is a liquid, cream, or semi-solid food, served on or used in preparing other foods. Most sauces are not normally consumed by themselves; they add flavor, moisture, and visual appeal to a dish.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Maxcollins042(m): 9:31am On Mar 09, 2021

What sorta grammatical construction is this Grammar Nazi? It was she that fell the blackboard is glaringly incorrect. That is a demonstrative that is used to indicate an object or a group of people in a sentence. For example, the pen that you sold to me is banged up or the team that played against Manchester City last weekend got under their skin.

The relative pronoun, who, fits the sentence more appropriately as it is used to refer back to a person mentioned in a sentence. Therefore, it was she who fell the blackboard is more correct.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by MightyHand(m): 9:43am On Mar 09, 2021
INGILISHI shocked shocked shocked

can Nigeria's just for once focused on matters that relevant
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by jeff1607(m): 10:58am On Mar 09, 2021
No paragraphs, my eyes o

1 Like

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 11:09am On Mar 09, 2021
Bhams:
In Nigeria, English Language is not our native language; it's not a bad thing if you don't always speak it correctly.The bad thing is if you don't always strive to learn the correct way of speaking the language.Here are some of those grammatical errors:

1.Incorrect: Gabriel, while you're coming back from school,branch at Emeka's shop.He'll give you something.
Correct:Gabriel, while you're coming back from school, call at Emeka's shop.He'll give you something.
Note:"Much" is used with uncountable nouns, while "many" is used with countable nouns.
7.Incorrect: Bryan, why don't you go and toast that girl.It seems you like her. (welcome, toasting machine)
Don't forget to the list.
Let's see the winner.

See this one.

You've obviously not heard about Nigerian English before ehn? Even Google sef haf recognised it.

5 Likes

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by ukaface(f): 2:10pm On Mar 09, 2021
Who get time to be speaking correct English in Nigeria.
Our daily activities is already stress,we want come add grammar again... hiaaaa, thanks though
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 2:18pm On Mar 09, 2021
Op, the "while" you used in number one sentence is grammatically wrong in that context. It should be "when" youre coming back because the clause is an adverb of time.>>> "when" = "time" he'll be coming back from school. So correct it.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 09, 2021
God go punish English!!!
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by vincentjk(m): 4:52pm On Mar 09, 2021
And for the oversabi ones that say cemera instead of camera

op I think you fall in this category because you ended up making mistakes thinking you're correct.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 5:56pm On Mar 09, 2021
vincentjk:
And for the oversabi ones that say cemera instead of camera

op I think you fall in this category because you ended up making mistakes thinking you're correct.

Lol.. kemera..

Don't mind him. So many grammatical errors in his sentences. I never get time pick them out finish.

Make I come back from Bible study first. Op go hia ram.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 09, 2021
OP pin down and chop shit.
Who English help.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Josbreed: 6:26pm On Mar 09, 2021
Bhams:

Let's see the winner.

I disagree with 2 and 6. Bros, if you hear the way Americans murder English ehn, you will leave us alone. Imagine this statement ''I got enough money for yous''. OR ''I is sick 'o you''. OR ''It don't matter''. All these are wrong English statements but already accepted as normal/correct. So leave us alone to speak our own type of English.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Josefsom(m): 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2021
That ya number 9 depends oo "in time" "eventually"
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 09, 2021
Bhams:

Let's see the winner.
1. "Call At Emeka's Shop, he will Give U Something. Does It Sound Well Or Correct? 2. What If Someone Says; Did U Prepare D Stew? Is D Expression Correct?
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by vincentjk(m): 7:47pm On Mar 09, 2021
pozehnani:

Lol.. kemera..

Don't mind him. So many grammatical errors in his sentences. I never get time pick them out finish.

Make I come back from Bible study first. Op go hia ram.

Lols take it easy on him abeg because I think mistakes is inevitable.

But oversabi no sha good lol

Are you yoruba?
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 7:51pm On Mar 09, 2021
vincentjk:

Lols take it easy on him abeg because I think mistakes is inevitable.

But oversabi no sha good lol

Are you yoruba?

Ok. I will.

Nope. I'm not Yoruba.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Karleb(m): 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2021
angry
Josbreed:

I disagree with 2 and 6. Bros, if you hear the way Americans murder English ehn, you will leave us alone. Imagine this statement ''I got enough money for yous''. OR ''I is sick 'o you''. OR ''It don't matter''. All these are wrong English statements but already accepted as normal/correct. So leave us alone to speak our own type of English.

I watched Ma Rainey's Black Bottom some days ago and those people murdered English but a Nigerian wants us to speak queens English during unofficial conversation. Ain't gonna work. angry
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by vincentjk(m): 8:21pm On Mar 09, 2021
pozehnani:

Ok. I will.
Nope. I'm not Yoruba.
Okay I asked because I sensed you're igbo, from maybe anambra or imo.
Which one?
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 8:23pm On Mar 09, 2021
vincentjk:

Okay I asked because I sensed you're igbo, from maybe anambra or imo.

Which one?

None of the above. grin
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by vincentjk(m): 8:25pm On Mar 09, 2021
pozehnani:

None of the above. grin
Lol I know I'm being funny.
So where are you from then?
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 8:27pm On Mar 09, 2021
vincentjk:

Lol I know I'm being funny.

So where are you from then?

Nigeria grin
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Sandydayziz(f): 8:39pm On Mar 09, 2021
@ No 8
He is a stranger, he came to see our mother
He is a visitor, he came to see our mother
There’s a difference between stranger and visitor. Neither is incorrect.
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by Albedo27(m): 8:51pm On Mar 09, 2021

It should be dispose off and not dispose of
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by vincentjk(m): 9:18pm On Mar 09, 2021
pozehnani:

Nigeria grin

I've a strong feeling you're an igbo, if not from anambra/imo then it should be abia.

Am I right! Lol

No reason say I dey shuk u eye o
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 9:32pm On Mar 09, 2021
vincentjk:

I've a strong feeling you're an igbo, if not from anambra/imo then it should be abia.

Am I right! Lol

No reason say I dey shuk u eye o

Lol..
Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by pozehnani(f): 9:36pm On Mar 09, 2021
Albedo27:

It should be dispose off and not dispose of

It is dispose "of" not off.

1 Like

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:12pm On Mar 09, 2021
I'm contesting numbers 2, 4 and 9.

I'll come back to explain. Sleepy for now.

1 Like

Re: Another 24 Incorrect English Statements We Big-headed Nigerians Speak. by 3gpvids: 10:51pm On Mar 09, 2021
You cook sauce,i cook stew
You say make i call my OWN stew sauce....cum carry the stew na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Universities Ranking In Engineering / A Carryover Student Once Said? / 12 Things Women Do When They Are In Love With A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.