Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time (61595 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by xtiandamondre(m): 11:28am On Mar 09, 2021
Pele
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by OhiOfIhima: 11:28am On Mar 09, 2021
Darkseid:
I believe you're the illiterate one here; even if your landlord serves you quit notice a week to expiration of your rent, you still have to pay for the extra six months, no be you build his house for am.
It doesn't work like that here in Lagos man. There is a law guiding landlords to tenants which make the quit notice invalid. Is my job and if any landlords who is our client try to play that smartness on his tenants, my Oga go insult am eeh.. And if you try wrote that trash to any tenants happened to be our client, we will just tell our client to ignore the notice and we go ahead to contact the chamber to get the details.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by ejimatic: 11:29am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??
. The six months start on the day you are served the notice.If your six months is still in your tenancy agreement it means as you enjoy your money be preparing to pack out after the six month notice.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Or11: 11:29am On Mar 09, 2021
SeriouslySense:
You are very silly and unreasonable, he or she is just asking a decent question, he or she is not your slave. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Lol you are mistaken, the OP is the silly one. Even if he wanted to bring it to NL, why not censor the landlords name. If I was the landlord, I would sue for infringement of privacy, defamation of character, attempted prejury and lots more.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by tunapawizzy: 11:29am On Mar 09, 2021
Bornsinner7:
Serve him your own notice that it is when your rent is due that he can only notify you of quitting.. hence he should balance you for the remaining month from the time of the notification Yeah.. it can be done verbally..
i am saying a landlord can serve quit notice before rent expires. what is important is, the notice must be a minimum of 6 months

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by addexx: 11:30am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
Good morning guys. Is it right for my landlord to give me 6months quit notice (on 8th march) when my rent will be due in 6months time (31st August)??

Not right at all. He must refund you the remaining 6 months for the notice to be effective. Or he waits till the expiration of your rent for the 6 months to start counting. I'm sure he knows this but just wanna play a fast one on you.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by chumasmog(m): 11:30am On Mar 09, 2021
Tokskob2008:
He has to refund you the balance before the quit notice can be effective, my landlord did exact same thing and we all ended up at the police station where he was told to refund my balance so the notice could be effective or re issue the quit notice when my rent is due. This is usually done by illiterate and greedy landlords, he gave me quit notice in July when my rent expiration was December last year this is March and I'm still there his only prayer now is for me to move out soon as he can't do anything.

He should do a follow up.. He could probably get extension of 6months without pay.. undecided
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by JennyOfOldstones(f): 11:31am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
There's nothing wrong with this under the law. He doesn't want to renew your tenancy and that was why he served you this so you can leave his house immediately on the day your rent expires. The law doesn't say you have to wait until the tenants rent expires to serve him a quit notice. If he waits until your rent expires to serve you, it means you'll be in that house for 6 months without paying rent and he'll be losing money. Start looking for a new accomodation immediately

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by akyus(m): 11:31am On Mar 09, 2021
christopher123:
THE LAWYER THAT WROTE THIS TRASH ..HOW DID HE GRADUATE?

This is just an intimidation letter
Seriously, especially the ending.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by EgunMogaji2: 11:32am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:

I like your landlord.

What did your agreement state?
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Philadelphia: 11:32am On Mar 09, 2021
Just to be straight with you, that your landlord is on Nairaland and he just viewed this topic and laughed you to scorn.

6 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by focus7: 11:32am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:

The notice was well calculated served
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by RMoneyInTheBank: 11:32am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:
write a letter back to the law firm telling them to inform their client to refund your 6 months rent to enable you look for another place... The quit notice automatically terminated your tenancy agreement with him

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by christopher123(m): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2021
akyus:
Seriously, especially the ending.
dude was sounding like a mafia lawyer
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by bekpo(m): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2021
Tokskob2008:
He has to refund you the balance before the quit notice can be effective, my landlord did exact same thing and we all ended up at the police station where he was told to refund my balance so the notice could be effective or re issue the quit notice when my rent is due. This is usually done by illiterate and greedy landlords, he gave me quit notice in July when my rent expiration was December last year this is March and I'm still there his only prayer now is for me to move out soon as he can't do anything.

Mr man, d six month notice to quit is so in order. U r only in that property because d Landlord doesn't want to eject u, d only notice u r now entitled to is 7 Days Notice of Owners Intention to Recover Property thereafter u will b summoned to d rent control court to give reasons why u couldn't handover vacant possession. Don't take him for a fool rather just thank him for his patience. The reason he had to issue d six month notice was to avoid a situation and he has achieved same.

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by pembisco(m): 11:33am On Mar 09, 2021
BabaIjebuXL:

You are not bright. The landlord was trying to be smart, normally a landlord can only issue a quit notice at the expiration of rent. People like you go about normalizing bullshit, one of the reasons why we are not moving forward as a nation. koshidanu
Who told you that it is only when the rent has expired before the landlord can issue quit notice?
Most of these free six months you guys hear about is as result failure from the tenant to renew his rent, this often leads to counter arguments and when the landlord decides to issue Quit notice, it'll have been too late cos the tenant has to stay free for six months before quiting.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by HarryDuce(m): 11:33am On Mar 09, 2021
Your landlord is simply informing you that you cannot renew your tenancy agreement on expiration.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by bigtt76(f): 11:33am On Mar 09, 2021
By this notice, your landlord is indirectly telling you, your tenancy would not be renewed on expiration. Your payment of rent after its due would've renewed your tenancy but in this case s/he does not want that done. Since you are a yearly tenant, 6 months is the time allowed as notice.

xodyq:

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by EgunMogaji2: 11:34am On Mar 09, 2021
Love8ou:
Hmmmm
Look for another apartment

Abi o.

Tenant that won’t move can be solved for N2K at Imodi Imosan.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Kingrefreshed: 11:34am On Mar 09, 2021
Tokskob2008:

If it's my father he will balance you your money with transportation money sef.

Some of these nowadays youths are so uncultured.

Some guys just packed in last week Wednesday and from that day till now,there generator have been on with music blazing from 6am to 6am the next day and when you call their attention to the noise and disturbances they're causing they will give you the insult of your life.

We called on the Landlord who stays in another state and due to the constant calls we bug him with. He had to leave his job to attend to us.

Now he has served the guys a letter from the court and they're refusing to leave and threatening to bring their cult members to the whole street and us.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Bornsinner7: 11:34am On Mar 09, 2021
tunapawizzy:

i am saying a landlord can serve quit notice before rent expires. what is important is, the notice must be a minimum of 6 months
Oh ok
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by suco01(m): 11:35am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:

Non renewal of tenancy should come first after your rent expired, he can serve you quit notice
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 11:35am On Mar 09, 2021
christopher123:
THE LAWYER THAT WROTE THIS TRASH ..HOW DID HE GRADUATE?

This is just an intimidation letter

Just saw the last line... shocked
That was unnecessary, but nothing wrong with the rest of the letter.
>

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by mechanics(m): 11:35am On Mar 09, 2021
He will have to pay you your remaining balance, some landlords are wicked, they think they can do away with their wickedness, but God is watching.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 11:35am On Mar 09, 2021
Some very wicked people rent house and become torn on everybody's flesh.

We shud be kind to our nebors and our landlord who sweat to build this houses

May thunder fire all wicked landlord

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by Emola12(m): 11:36am On Mar 09, 2021
u sef go build ur own house....all yur savings u don use am play bet9ja and lotto finish

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by johnpablo541(m): 11:38am On Mar 09, 2021
xodyq:

8th March to 8th August is five months na.

Call the lawyer's attention to it.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by darkwan: 11:38am On Mar 09, 2021
6 months is alot of patience....

others dont give up to 2 months....
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by bigfish3k: 11:38am On Mar 09, 2021
pembisco:

You are the ignorant one. 6 months Quit notice is valid whether your rent expired or not. it simply means the landlord does not want to renew the tenancy...hence the six months advance notice
Six months starts counting after expiration of rent
Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by 9jaRealist: 11:38am On Mar 09, 2021
mechanics:
He will have to pay you your remaining balance, some landlords are wicked, they think they can do away with their wickedness, but God is watching.

Which “remaining balance” abegi?
The notice takes effect in 6 months after the rent runs out.
>

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time by chukwugoziegi: 11:40am On Mar 09, 2021
OhiOfIhima:
It doesn't work like that here in Lagos man. There is a law guiding landlords to tenants which make the quit notice invalid. Is my job and if any landlords who is our client try to play that smartness on his tenants, my Oga go insult am eeh.. And if you try wrote that trash to any tenants happened to be our client, we will just tell our client to ignore the notice and we go ahead to contact the chamber to get the details.

My brother's tenant is currently owing 8months rent, when do you think a quit notice should be served to him?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Calculate The Price of a C of O and Governor's Consent In Lagos Yourself / Elegant 3 Bedroom Bungalow Construction On Half Plot - Lekki (with Pictures) / 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.