Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,245 members, 7,780,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:27 PM

Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion (24481 Views)

Nigerian Fintech Firm Flutterwave Raises $35M / Flutterwave Raises $35M In Series B Funding / Flutterwave Is Y Combinator’s Most valuable African Comp, Valued At $150M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by pansophist(m): 10:21am On Mar 10, 2021
shiffynaani:
Mehn, whenever I think about this when I was in sec. school, I would be saddened.

I still don't understand why our great fathers failed in that direction when God has given all men an equal playing ground.

Or perhaps those talents were given only to a specie. Who knows

Read the book "gun, germ and steel by " Jared Diamond", you'll understand. But to give you a quick analogy, imagine the differences between a lion raised in the zoo and a lion raised in the jungle. The zoo got everything handles to him, but the jungle lion must be smart and innovative, to survive the harsh terrain of the Savannah. That's how it is between the Africans and the whites you're comparing.

Go to Europe, the weather, especially in the dark winter will kill you if you don't find a way to be warm, the soil is covered with snow and nothing can grow, it's and more, and they must think to survive, but this is not so for Africans. Same reasons while first generational immigrants are the most educated and successful abroad, because they came from a place of lack, but not their kids who are born in the western system and docile like a zoo lion. You see the source?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by shiffynaani(m): 10:26am On Mar 10, 2021
pansophist:

Read the book "gun, germ and steel by " Jared Diamond", you'll understand. But to give you a quick analogy, imagine the differences between a lion raised in the zoo and a lion raised in the jungle. The zoo got everything handles to him, but the jungle lion must be smart and innovative, to survive the harsh terrain of the Savannah. That's how it is between the Africans and the whites you're comparing.

Go to Europe, the weather, especially in the dark winter will kill you if you don't find a way to be warm, the soil is covered with snow and nothing can grow, it's and more, and they must think to survive, but this is not so for Africans. Same reasons while first generational immigrants are the most educated and successful abroad, because they came from a place of lack, but not their kids who are born in the western system and docile like a zoo lion. You see the source?

that's quite insightful. I'll read up on it. Thanks
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Seun(m): 10:35am On Mar 10, 2021
Ajibaba101:

why
is raising the funds a bad idea??
It's a very good idea, and it's lovely to see young people raising so much money because of their hard work. It's inspiring.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 10, 2021
Seun:
I cannot even wrap my head around these huge sums of money that Nigerians are raising.

Seun this is sarcasm i guess grin
Those amounts are just rollover, like Bet9ja virtual algorithm.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Seun(m): 10:50am On Mar 10, 2021
Drabeey:
Seun this is sarcasm i guess grin
Those amounts are just rollover, like Bet9ja virtual algorithm.
Try converting them to naira.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by femijay8271(m): 11:51am On Mar 10, 2021
Gbagura:
Yoruba have brains

Na only mouth and muscles ọmọ nna get. When they boasts of unseen Anambra billionaires, know that Yoruba have hundreds of legit billionaires known world over not those doing $70,000 deal cocaine business then buy money spraying machine to express their inferiority complex openly. cheesy Nothing spectacular about them and that's why they can't stop coming to Yoruba space. They will rather die here. grin

baba u don't need all this jare
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Nokio1: 1:02pm On Mar 10, 2021
DenreleDave:

As a benue man, in my next life, I will be a yoruba man....

Chaiiiiiiiiii yorubas are too much

Lalasticlala seun Mynd44

As a Plateau man I will ask you to be careful not to come back as Papa Ajasco instead of Billions you will just be shouting..ojibijibijibi
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2021
pansophist:

Then what of countries like Singapore, Malaysia even Thailand that has the same weather as African but they have improved themselves to be respected nations

All these are excuses to me

It's more of a deficiency in collective group thinking and deficiency in high level thinking

Which black African tribe had a written language?
Many other ethnicities had written languages dated thousands of years
Hebrew, Arabic, Latin, Indian, Chinese and other Asian countries all had form of written languages

They had renowned scholars, ideologists and deep think tanks dating thousands of years

To organize a successful, progressive nation, which nation you will point out in black Africa?

There are lots of anomalies, but waking up to know your problem is the turning point, but how many have woken up to such in this continent?

I was reading recently, last week precisely that percentage of Africas participation in the global trade is just 2.2percent and when you remove North Africa that has 0.7 percent then the entire sub Saharan African nations contribute 1.5 percent of the global trade

There are lots of anomalies and until a people wake up to the challenges ahead nothing

But hopefully there is hope for Africa
More young Africans are getting educated unlike before. And when these educated ones begin to ask questions
When they begin to think outside the box, then the tide will change

But the black man must wake up to tackle the challenges affecting Him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by BSdetector: 1:15pm On Mar 10, 2021
Masterito:
You must have understanding issues. Read again. I am wasn't against his celebration.

Ofo.... so what did you mean
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by pansophist(m): 1:22pm On Mar 10, 2021
djon78:

Then what of countries like Singapore, Malaysia even Thailand that has the same weather as African but they have improved themselves to be respected nations

All these are excuses for me

It's more of a deficiency in collective group thinking and a deficiency in high-level thinking

Hebrew, Arabic, Latin, Indian, Chinese and other Asian countries all had a form of written languages

They had renowned scholars, ideologists and deep think tanks dating thousands of years

To organize a successful, progressive nation, which nation you will point out in black Africa?

There are lots of anomalies, but waking up to know your problem is the turning point, but how many have woken up to such in this continent?

I was reading recently, last week precisely that percentage of Africa's participation in the global trade is just 2.2percent and when you remove North Africa that has 0.7 per cent then the entire sub-Saharan African nations contribute 1.5 per cent of the global trade

There are lots of anomalies and until people wake up to the challenges ahead nothing

But hopefully, there is hope for Africa
More young Africans are getting educated unlike before. And when these educated ones begin to ask questions

You are right, but mind you, my submission was not to evaded responsibilities in the part of Africans, but a hint why things ended up the way it is. About written language, ever heard of Nsibidi from eastern Nigeria that dates back 400AD?

2 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by BSdetector: 1:26pm On Mar 10, 2021
einsteine:

Wetin concern your lineage with Flutterwave.

You tribalists living vicariously with other people's achievements are so silly. Successful people of tribe 1 and tribe 2 are more connected to each other than with less successful members of their ethnic group.

In other words, a successful Yoruba man would rather be connected to a successful Igbo man than with urchins like this who are "proud of their lineage"

Cope and eat sh!t, you're clearly pained..... except the Yoruba guy wants to go into drug business that's only when he connects with an Igbo urchin...check most of those Yoruba techbros they hardly have flatin0s as partners.

2 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 1:29pm On Mar 10, 2021
pansophist:

You are right, but mind you, my submission was not to evaded responsibilities in the last of Africans, but a hint why things ended up the way it is. About written language, ever heard of Nsibidi from eastern Nigeria that dates back 400AD?

Nsibidi was never a written language it had no documentation anywhere

There is no black nation with written languages before the Europeans came
It was the white man that helped us develop our languages into writing

If you do research into the past, you will see same pattern.

But it's not late, it's even early if we wake up to what's ahead of us

The Chinese where nothing to write home about some decades ago but today they are gradually straddling the global economic development growth.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 1:38pm On Mar 10, 2021
BSdetector:

Cope and eat sh!t, you're clearly pained..... except the Yoruba guy wants to go into drug business that's only when he connects with an Igbo urchin...check most of those Yoruba techbros they hardly have flatin0s as partners.

Why should he be pained by someone else success? Mr bigot

The space is there for everyone to succeed Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Efik, Ijaw, idoma etc
God has given everyone space and opportunity to succeed and many are doing well in there fields and spheres of influence

So saying he is pained shows that maybe the problem is from your level of reasoning.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by BSdetector: 1:44pm On Mar 10, 2021
djon78:

Why should he be pained by someone else success? Mr bigot

The space is there for everyone to succeed Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Efik, Ijaw, idoma etc
God has given everyone space and opportunity to succeed and many are doing well in there fields and spheres of influence

So saying he is pained shows that maybe the problem is from your level of reasoning.

He's pained because he felt compelled to reply to someone being proud of their linage.....and yes the sky may be big for everyone but we have chickens, pigeons, vultures and eagles but they all fly but not on the same level......the problem is obviously with you and him.....check yourselves.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Omoodua007: 1:50pm On Mar 10, 2021
Yorubas winning

2 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 2:05pm On Mar 10, 2021
BSdetector:

He's pained because he felt compelled to reply to someone being proud of their linage.....and yes the sky may be big for everyone but we have chickens, pigeons, vultures and eagles but they all fly but not on the same level......the problem is obviously with you and him.....check yourselves.

But still all the animals exists and enjoy themselves in this God given world according to there levels

So such is life
Whether one is on the top most or the lowest, life is still there to be lived
Everyone should just enjoy his levels chikena

The other person's success doesn't stop his fellow man success
And life goes on
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by BSdetector: 2:09pm On Mar 10, 2021
djon78:

But still all the animals exists and enjoy themselves in this God given world according to there levels

So such is life
Whether one is on the top most or the lowest, life is still there to be lived
Everyone should just enjoy his levels chikena

The other person's success doesn't stop his fellow man success
And life goes on

Yeah. Life goes on, it's okay to be a piker.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 2:25pm On Mar 10, 2021
BSdetector:

Yeah. Life goes on, it's okay to be a piker.

Yeah life goes on but a piker can turn to a spendthrift tomorrow you never know, change is constant
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Kennyking1234: 2:54pm On Mar 10, 2021
djon78:

All these are excuses to me

It's more of a deficiency in collective group thinking and deficiency in high level thinking

Hebrew, Arabic, Latin, Indian, Chinese and other Asian countries all had form of written languages

I was reading recently, last week precisely that percentage of Africas participation in the global trade is just 2.2percent and when you remove North Africa that has 0.7 percent then the entire sub Saharan African nations contribute 1.5 percent of the global trade

There are lots of anomalies and until a people wake up to the challenges ahead nothing

But hopefully there is hope for Africa

Technically the Igbo's had written characters. It called "Nsibidi".
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 3:01pm On Mar 10, 2021
Kennyking1234:
Technically the Igbo's had written characters. It called "Nsibidi".

Is it documented anywhere with parchment or scrolls
I know of nsibidi, but it's not a written language. Achebe mentioned it in one of his books.

No sub Saharan African tribe had a written language. It was the Europeans that even interpreted and developed our languages into writing form
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Kennyking1234: 3:15pm On Mar 10, 2021
djon78:

Is it documented anywhere with parchment or scrolls
I know of nsibidi, but it's not a written language. Achebe mentioned it in one of his books.

No sub Saharan African tribe had a written language. It was the Europeans that even interpreted and developed our languages into writing form
Written language in what sense? Nsibidi serves as a form writing and communication. So all European languages had their own scripts?
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by NiceMen: 3:19pm On Mar 10, 2021
authority2006:

All of you are plain dumb. Do you need to be told that Buhari's administration policy is centered around homegrown businesses and investments? Is that not the reason why so many items are banned from importation? Dumbasses

Before I will even engage you... Answer this: Do you have a business/company that you operate in Nigeria? If yes, how has Buhari's policies affected you? If no, then fork off... if silent, double fork off...
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by NiceMen: 3:46pm On Mar 10, 2021
pansophist:

Wow... great analogy.
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by djon78(m): 4:59pm On Mar 10, 2021
Kennyking1234:
Written language in what sense? Nsibidi serves as a form writing and communication. So all European languages had their own scripts?

All ancient languages were written in scrool, parchment or animal skin
They were documented
Was there any documented evidence of nsibidi?
In fact those scrools or parchment were many that they became books

There was no such thing in black Africa

I have asked an erudite scholar this same question before and he had no explanation and was even surprised
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Cashify: 5:31pm On Mar 10, 2021
How
Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 10, 2021
showafrica:

Yes, but you only escape when they don't know where your back office is. Whatever business you are doing in Nigeria, don't expose your secret and don't advertise your success too much. A lot of witches and wizards are here. Flutterwave has made payment gateway very easy and simple.

That's what's up...

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Raises $170 Million, now Valued at Over $1 Billion by emilfischer(m): 7:18pm On Mar 10, 2021
This Just motivates me.q

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dangote To Stop Sourcing FOREX From CBN / Panama Papers: Wale Tinubu Operated 12 Shell Companies In Tax Havens / Donald Trump Set To Tackle Nigeria And Other OPEC Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.