Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. (24209 Views)

Seyi Vibez is the World's Most Streamed Artiste On Audiomack, overtakes Asake / Mohbad Tops Apple Music Chart, Overtakes Burna Boy / Fela Kuti Nominated For 2021 Rock, Roll Hall Of Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Valkrie: 8:53am On Mar 10, 2021
Just cast my own vote for Fela and he is still leading by over 300 votes...Nigerians can do more..let us all bombard the site and pick the crown for Fela...!!
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by alfredilly: 8:54am On Mar 10, 2021
ShaqFu:
Not surprise. As usual Nigerians are never able to keep up with anything. grin

Don't insult Nigerian. That Fela is able to maintain a top spot is due to online resilience of her youth. We have a huge idle population who exploit social media as option.

Tina Turner shouldn't be struggling the top spot with Fela. Not only her, others behind her are also deserving of a place above the Afrobeat legend. This is rock n roll bro. Fela trail many foreign artist here. Ha ha
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Brunicekid(m): 8:54am On Mar 10, 2021
Triangles1:
Igbo baba my menthol.

I don't know why people look down on Weed taker and admire bear parlor.

The day my Girl friend caught me blazing weedo, she cried as if she loss her job, she fell sick for days, she look me with a pitiable eyes like some body in Sambisa with no help.

99.5 of musician worldwide are weedo taker because that's the only way they get expose to the reality of life.
That's a lie... There are musicians who don't take weed.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Pochettino(f): 8:55am On Mar 10, 2021
naptu2:

Yeah right, you are dead serious and that's why you called him "Afonja". Sure, tell me another story.

Hmmm
Is AFONJA offensive now? Hmmm

Omo Ibo, Afonja, Aboki are not offensive words. Its the stigma attached to them
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by ShaqFu: 8:56am On Mar 10, 2021
Currently Fela is in the lead now. Let's hope he maintains that lead.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by larrixauto2017(m): 8:56am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:
After voting this useless Fela, watch how AFONJAS will start chest beating about how only them were recognized by Hall of Fame. How they are the ones putting Naija music on the global scene, how Naija music cant breathe without them bla bla bla.

Leave AFONJAS to vote their own please. We have ours too
.. What's is Your Problem With Afonja. is It Fella Or What... Cos.. I No Understand you oh
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by emmnprince(m): 8:57am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:

Why dont u copy his 'style', Im sure your kids will be proud of u

Lol.

It is a choice. To copy, or not to copy.

The simple question still begging for a simple answer is: What is the one thing you like or admire about baba 70 Ponchettino?
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by tolulopevimy: 8:58am On Mar 10, 2021
ShaqFu:
Not surprise. As usual Nigerians are never able to keep up with anything. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by naptu2: 8:59am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:

Hmmm
Is AFONJA offensive now? Hmmm

Omo Ibo, Afonja, Aboki are not offensive words. Its the stigma attached to them

grin I got you!

Can you show me where I said that it's offensive??

Listen, I know what you are doing. You are trying to derail the thread and turn it into a battleground. I didn't say that the word is offensive, but you know that it is offensive, that's why you brought it up. You are trolling and you want this thread to be about you and you want to turn it into a battleground.

This is my last response to you

2 Likes

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by PHijo(m): 8:59am On Mar 10, 2021
I think the way his people treat the "Igbos" didn't help matters.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Iretii0511(m): 8:59am On Mar 10, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=99760055][/quote]

Good morning sir.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Eohara(m): 9:00am On Mar 10, 2021
So I should be wasting my time voting for drug lords and aside that he is a ghost why not let him rest in peace.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by SouthSouth1914: 9:01am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:
For me Iron Maiden deserves my vote not some drug-addicted, political thug & drunken sociopath that died in his prime due to poor life choices. The same misogynist that objectified we women.

Come be AFONJA again. Mbanu.

We are talking about his music. Not personal life! All
Celebrities failed in their personal life. You shouldn’t judge because you don’t know how you will react with game at your doorstep.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Vetsolo(m): 9:03am On Mar 10, 2021
Current standing

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Canberra55: 9:03am On Mar 10, 2021
omonla10:
Tina Turner winning it gives same feeling just as fela.. I just want a black man to win it chikena..
racist
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by naptu2: 9:04am On Mar 10, 2021
naptu2:
I have to follow that post above with a Nigerian equivalent.

MUSON Symphony Orchestra playing Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's Water No Get Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTp9kXZnqnI

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 10, 2021
omonla10:
Tina Turner winning it gives same feeling just as fela.. I just want a black man to win it chikena..
The first person to be inducted was Chuck Berry (a black man) the king of rock and roll, rock was founded by a black man on a genre that was promoted by blacks the blues.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 10, 2021
Very good, Tina Turner is one of the few that deserves it along with iron maiden and foo fighters. Don't know what fela is doing there.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Falomo211(m): 9:08am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:
For me Iron Maiden deserves my vote not some drug-addicted, political thug & drunken sociopath that died in his prime due to poor life choices. The same misogynist that objectified we women.

who be this one?

1 Like

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Pochettino(f): 9:17am On Mar 10, 2021
naptu2:

grin I got you!

Can you show me where I said that it's offensive??

Listen, I know what you are doing. You are trying to derail the thread and turn it into a battleground. I didn't say that the word is offensive, but you know that it is offensive, that's why you brought it up. You are trolling and you want this thread to be about you and you want to turn it into a battleground.

This is my last response to you

Naptu Im not happy with you at all.
I've always respected you because of your historical threads which I benefit from but now it seems you are hating on me just because I don't agree with you on Fela. That's sentimental hope you know?

Now you are bringing up mundane things against me. Things that hold very little weight.
I'll leave your thread if that's what you want.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by driy65(m): 9:18am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:

Very stupid comment

1 Like

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by inumidun2010(m): 9:19am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:

My papa never took drugs, smoked irresponsibly, wearing pant like a deranged lunatic, fucking anything female that moved, littering the earth with hundreds of illegitimate bastards and dying shamefully of AIDS.

Who know your PAPA.... At least he was never an hypocrite who hides what he does... Anytime I'm on the PIANO and I strike some Afro chords, then I always understand the feeling the WHITEMAN feels to come for his show... Music Is beyond Race, skin Colour and Gender... The same way Jazz started in New Orleans by African Americans... I'm not a fan of his lifestyle though, but the Man Fela was a Genius... The moment you mentioned AFONJA, I knew you are a TRIBAL BIGOT... AFONJA's have bagged GRAMMY AWARDS that no tribe in NAIJA have smelled before... PUT A RESPEK ON THAT NAME... The Man Who Has Death In His Pouch( ANIKULAPO)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by memnon37(m): 9:20am On Mar 10, 2021
naptu2:
Afrobeat legend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti has been nominated for the 2021 class of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. See previous thread here. https://www.nairaland.com/6410112/fela-kuti-nominated-2021-rock

He stormed into the lead after Nigerians began an online campaign to get people to vote for him.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13133200_screenshot20210212154001_jpegfd7d506dfb3354ee609532c6158c24e9

However, votes from Nigerians have waned in the past few days and he has now been overtaken by Tina Turner.

Click on this link to cast your vote https://vote.rockhall.com

THIS IS THE VOTES AS AT 10TH AND 9:22 THIS MORNING

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by alfredilly: 9:20am On Mar 10, 2021
ShackWes:
Nigerians won't vote

If nah mercy lambo or Erica the IndecentStar now, they go dey lead

Spits

Who do you think voted Fela up there, foreigners? Nigerian is virtually competing with the rest of the world on this. We have a huge young idle population with massive online presence, that why Fela could compete in top five. Anything beside this, the rock n roll should go to Tina Turner, Iron Maiden, food fighters and others
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by naptu2: 9:27am On Mar 10, 2021
Ginger Baker was reputed to be the best rock drummer in the world. When he came to Nigeria Fela asked him, "You are the greatest drummer in the world?" Then he gave him a talking drum and a talking drum stick and told him to play. Ginger Baker didn't know what to do with it.

naptu2:

17) Fela Anikulapo-Kuti ft Ginger Baker – Live! (1971)

Ginger Baker is an English drummer and founder of the rock band Cream. He spent a lot of time in Nigeria in the 1970s, recording and studying African music and he became a good friend of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. You can see some videos of his interactions with Fela on YouTube. They are taken from his documentary Ginger Baker in Africa.
He was instrumental in settling the rift between Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Paul McCartney. Paul McCartney was bored with recording in the UK and so he decided to record his album “Band On The Run” at EMI studios in Apapa, Lagos in 1973. (You can read about everything that happened during McCartney’s visit on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1387857/foreign-local-musical-tributes-nigeria ) . McCartney went to watch Fela play at the Shrine, but Fela confronted him and accused him of coming to exploit and steal African music.

Fela had good reason to be concerned. James Brown toured Nigeria in 1970. Fela’s legendary drummer, Tony Allen claims that James Brown sent his arranger, David Mathews, to check him out and that David Mathews took notes about how he played. James Brown’s bassist, William “Bootsy” Collins said that they went to Fela’s club (the Shrine) in Lagos and they were amazed by what they saw.
“I mean, this is the James Brown band, but we were totally wiped out! That is one trip I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world”.
In another interview he said, “I thought THEY were the greatest, period. Even before I got into the James Brown band, the James Brown band was number one to me. But once I got there and saw Fela and them, then I had second thoughts about it. . .when I heard these cats, it was like another dimension. . .a deeper feel to me. . .it was like, ‘Man, this is IT. We gotta try to be like this!” [laughs] (read more here http://afrofunkforum..com.ng/2006/04/felajames-brown-connection.html?m=1)

So Fela thought that Paul McCartney had also come to steal African music without giving anything back or crediting the source of the music. Fela also went to EMI studios to confront McCartney. Everything was resolved when McCartney and his group played their music for Fela so that he could hear that there wasn’t any African influence in it. Ginger Baker was also able to bring them together and he also invited McCartney to record at his studio in Ikeja.

Tony Allen is probably the most famous former member of Fela’s band. Fela writes the music for his band and all the members of the band must play what he has written. Dele Sosimi (former keyboardist for both Fela and Femi) gave an example in a BBC interview in the early 2000s. He said that they would be rehearsing and Fela would suddenly stop the band. “Who’s that?” he would shout and when he has identified the person that played the offending note, he would order the manager to deduct two weeks wages from the person’s salary. They must always play what Fela has written.

However, it was very different with Tony Allen. Fela would compose the melody and bring it to Tony Allen and ask him, “What can you play to this melody?” and Tony Allen would play something and Fela would go, “Yeah! Yeah! That’s it!” Tony Allen was not just the drummer of Africa 70, he was also the musical director of the band.

Some of my friends who were drummers have nicknamed Tony Allen “the Octopus” because they say that he drums with his hands, elbows and feet, as if he has eight limbs.

In 1978 Fela married 27 women at a go. He also set up a political party called Movement of The People, in order to contest in the 1979 Nigerian presidential elections. Tony Allen said that he also noticed that a lot of strange people started hanging around Fela. He decided that Fela was no longer serious and left the band. Fela had to hire two drummers to play the rhythms that Tony Allen singlehandedly played. Tony Allen has lived in Paris, France for a long time and he records and plays music over there.

There is a track on this album called Drum Solo. It is like a drum battle between Ginger Baker and Tony Allen. Ginger Baker is drumming in the European style while Tony Allen is drumming in the African style. It’s my favourite track on the album.

The first video is of the whole album, so only watch it if you have enough data. The second video is of Drum Solo, the battle between Tony Allen and Ginger Baker.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Ginger Baker – Live! (full album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20UbO62UJUg

Tony Allen vs. Ginger Baker (Drum Solo) part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIawMBojgvI

Tony Allen vs. Ginger Baker (Drum Solo) part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAeu9LJQDr4

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by BinamRex: 9:30am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:

You don't have sense.
Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Rocktation(f): 9:32am On Mar 10, 2021
People are talking too much. Just go and vote for God sake. Let Nigeria be more in the spotlight. It doesn't even take up to a minute. Vote, then come back, let's discuss why you may not have voted for him!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Odunharry(m): 9:46am On Mar 10, 2021
Naptu. Fela is leading the poll

1 Like

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by billgatexp(m): 9:50am On Mar 10, 2021
Fela on the move.. if na to vote for big brother na there wedey show strength. Let's vote to give long margin.

Re: Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. by Harddiskng(m): 9:53am On Mar 10, 2021
Pochettino:

Here is a man that has done more for the country than your whole family put together but you can’t see pass his tribe hmm appalling is an understatement. Well its not about him, its bout who you are. The same drug addict that fought for good governance for you. So that you can have a little semblance of safety when you step out of your house in your beloved country called Nigeria.

No need to call you a dead brain tribalistic bigot. Just know you have a very poor mind, its not an insult; you really do.

Mention one great man in your family (you can go as far back as 10 generations), I am sure there is not a single one the world knows. You can see the reason why even your future generations would die without anybody knowing they ever lived, you despise greatness.

bigbabyboy:

Your Papa also did not have any impact in this life. With his cool and calm demeanor as a gentleman that did not guarantee him success in this life. You are a glaring evidence of his gargantuan failure. Compared to the maestro himself whose self styled life transcended into his art, his music and politics, your father was a nonentity who could not even do basic things like raising a daughter. Shameful product of a rabid infested dog.

You couldn’t have said it better, me i have changed; the words i was going to throw at her wouldn’t be acceptable by my Father in Heaven.

Whenever i come across people like this, my heart is sad for them. Na wa.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Download Old And Fresh Nigeria Songs All For Free / LYRICS: Vector – Gunshots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.