Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke (33744 Views)

Wike: I Sponsored And Removed Secondus As PDP National Chairman / FG May Reduce Minimum Tax Rate Next Year / Ahmed Babawo's Shoe Shining Kits For Empowerment Of Borno Youths (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Warripikine: 3:26pm On Mar 10, 2021
Why I sponsored bill to change national minimum wage – Reps member, Datti-Babawo

FOLLOWING the protest by the National Labour Congress (NLC), Garba Datti-Babawo, a member of the House of Representatives representing Sabon Gari federal constituency, who sponsored a bill to move the national minimum wage from the exclusive legislative list to concurrent list, has given reasons for presenting the bill before the National Assembly.

According to Datti-Babawo, many state governments could not afford to pay the new 30,000 naira minimum wage to their workers which may lead to of retrenching workers if they were to pay.

“Since it has been changed to 30,000 naira, you will find out that most of the states could not pay until the federal government intervened by giving them bailouts to pay. Now that there is no bailout, they cannot pay and most of the states are threatening to retrench most of their workers if they have to pay the 30,000 naira,” Datti-Babawo said.

He noted that the aim of the bill was to allow state governments to negotiate with the NLC on how much they could afford to pay their workers in consideration of the their revenue.

What we are saying is that we should allow them to negotiate what they can pay based on their own resources because the money that goes to the federal government is not the same that goes to the state governments. Even among states, their resources are not the same.

When asked if the bill would create an environment for enslaving workers as said by the NLC, Datti-Babawo said even without the bill, state governments were not paying. “Of what good is a law that is not implementable and has no punishment when broken?” he asked.

The lawmaker advised the NLC to change its method of abuses and intimidation, and come out for constructive engagement.

I am looking at their protests now. The chairman is talking about me, which is a very wrong approach, and he should not talk about me because it is an issue of National Assembly. If it is not a popular bill, it would not be voted for.

https://www.icirnigeria.org/why-i-sponsored-bill-to-change-national-minimum-wage-reps-member-datti-babawo/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Nbotee(m): 3:37pm On Mar 10, 2021
Greedy mofos, wen will U ppl slash ur jumbo pay to help the govt meet up

184 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by nairalandankrah: 3:44pm On Mar 10, 2021
This country nah wah

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Unigrad: 3:57pm On Mar 10, 2021
Prices of Goods and services including petroleum products are increasing everyday, all that will come from you is to reduce workers salary.
It's well.

78 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Monogamy: 3:59pm On Mar 10, 2021
Why not propose the bill for reducing Reps and senators salary.

30k is hard for you people to pay to the workers yet you guys can approve millions for yourself.

Thunder scatter una

231 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by nairalandankrah: 4:01pm On Mar 10, 2021
Unigrad:
Prices of Goods and services including petroleum products are increasing everyday, all that will come from you is to reduce workers salary.
It's well.

This people do not want the masses to exist..

22 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Vickym1(f): 4:04pm On Mar 10, 2021
Thunder faya u there undecided

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Racoon(m): 4:09pm On Mar 10, 2021
And yet the same government can pay your bogus allowances, over-bloated salaries despite the dubious constituency allowances you lots collect in addition to the budget padding corruption abi?

Yet the same useless bicameral NASS can approve a staggering amount far far beyond what was used to build the NASS complex for renovation works? The sis above have given you a piece of my heart but in addition may God punish you all.Wicked souls.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Warripikine: 4:09pm On Mar 10, 2021
Vickym1:
Thunder faya u there undecided
Abeg give the thunder direction..so it doesn't hit the poor masses
You get the point now!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by overseasnbeyond: 4:14pm On Mar 10, 2021
Salary of #30,000 too much for a worker in 30days, these people are crazy.
But i don't blame them, the civil servants voted them into power after deception.
Warripikine:
Why I sponsored bill to change national minimum wage – Reps member, Datti-Babawo

FOLLOWING the protest by the National Labour Congress (NLC), Garba Datti-Babawo, a member of the House of Representatives representing Sabon Gari federal constituency, who sponsored a bill to move the national minimum wage from the exclusive legislative list to concurrent list, has given reasons for presenting the bill before the National Assembly.

According to Datti-Babawo, many state governments could not afford to pay the new 30,000 naira minimum wage to their workers which may lead to of retrenching workers if they were to pay.

“Since it has been changed to 30,000 naira, you will find out that most of the states could not pay until the federal government intervened by giving them bailouts to pay. Now that there is no bailout, they cannot pay and most of the states are threatening to retrench most of their workers if they have to pay the 30,000 naira,” Datti-Babawo said.

He noted that the aim of the bill was to allow state governments to negotiate with the NLC on how much they could afford to pay their workers in consideration of the their revenue.

What we are saying is that we should allow them to negotiate what they can pay based on their own resources because the money that goes to the federal government is not the same that goes to the state governments. Even among states, their resources are not the same.

When asked if the bill would create an environment for enslaving workers as said by the NLC, Datti-Babawo said even without the bill, state governments were not paying. “Of what good is a law that is not implementable and has no punishment when broken?” he asked.

The lawmaker advised the NLC to change its method of abuses and intimidation, and come out for constructive engagement.

I am looking at their protests now. The chairman is talking about me, which is a very wrong approach, and he should not talk about me because it is an issue of National Assembly. If it is not a popular bill, it would not be voted for.
https://www.icirnigeria.org/why-i-sponsored-bill-to-change-national-minimum-wage-reps-member-datti-babawo/

6 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Liposure: 4:15pm On Mar 10, 2021
Solution: Slash the enormous salaries and allowances of the lawmakers and distribute half among the states

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by johnmartus(m): 4:16pm On Mar 10, 2021
No wonder their region happen to be capital of poverty in the world. Those southern reps have no shame ...They always support silly bills like this.

16 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Nigeriadondie1: 4:27pm On Mar 10, 2021
kiss
Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Warripikine: 4:30pm On Mar 10, 2021
johnmartus:
No wonder [b]their region [/b]happen to be capital of poverty in the world. Those southern reps have no shame ...They always support silly bills like this.
And they are in the majority..that's the worst part..their huge number swallows everything.
Everything is just fraud

6 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Vickym1(f): 5:36pm On Mar 10, 2021
Warripikine:

Abeg give the thunder direction..so it doesn't hit the poor masses
You get the point now!
Hhahahahah.. OK sire grin

1 Like

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by AFvckingAlpha(m): 6:30pm On Mar 10, 2021
The fvck

Niggarr!!

What a mess!!
Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by merits(m): 6:30pm On Mar 10, 2021
smiley

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by happney65: 6:30pm On Mar 10, 2021
These people are so heartless. I mean they just want to frustrate the average Nigerian worker which is very wrong. For example, even if it is made possible,lots of states will not pay whichever amount they agree to. They are that wicked..It is the only thing I still support being in charge of the FG.

In the SW,It is only Oyo and Lagos that are paying the 30K with no stress. other states that can pay it are not paying because of their greediness and the money they will steal.. Ogun with a monthly IGR of 8billion cannot pay its workforce that are not up to half of the work force in Oyo

This is so wrong and so unfair

11 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by EdoAirline: 6:31pm On Mar 10, 2021
The rate at which the reps and senators channel

their energies to slashing and championing the reduction of minimum wage is worrisome.

How can you say that a whole state that generates billion from several avenues can't afford that amount....

But they can afford to pay huge sums to the politicians.....They can award bogus contracts and state funds disappear into thin air...

but when it's time to pay the workers they become handicapped...the youth are watching and you advise them not to go into fraud....who is decieving who...

Ozuo People.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 10, 2021
You say wetin?

3 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by livinbygrace: 6:32pm On Mar 10, 2021
30k minimum wage,that’s just to pay Monthly Nepa Bill and you want fight corruption for Nigeria ?Una dey joke!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by Joarch: 6:33pm On Mar 10, 2021
fuvk you all that come here to complain and whine..
this lots cant pay a minimum wage but can spend recklessly on irrelevant things. GOD punish una.

1 Like

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by oluwaSavage: 6:33pm On Mar 10, 2021
Ok

Even 30,000 that is not up to $100?

Really?

How you want make people survive na

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by datola: 6:34pm On Mar 10, 2021
Cowcrazy!
Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by YorubaPrince: 6:34pm On Mar 10, 2021
Nigerians are the most foolish pple in the world! Until the Nigerian pple all rise up and violently stand up against these guys, there'll NEVER be a change in fortunes. Just imagine what this foolish bastard is blabbing. angry angry angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by FBIBOT(m): 6:34pm On Mar 10, 2021
You should sponsor Bill to reduce you nd ur colleague salaries 1st..... Olè ọ fún

3 Likes

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by babaijebue(m): 6:35pm On Mar 10, 2021
is that necessary

1 Like

Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by maishai01: 6:35pm On Mar 10, 2021
We may blast him all we want, but truth is he has point.

I certainly don't support the reduction of wages, but I think states should be at liberty to pay as thier financial capacity permits.

Putting a so-called minimum wage whish more than half states can not met doesn't make sense.

Maishai has spoken!
Re: Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke by ThatFairGuy: 6:36pm On Mar 10, 2021
So 30k be reduced again angry
Why your millions should keep increasing.

Some of you need mob action to reset your brain

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode Warns USA Against Sanctioning Russia / Amosun And The Burden Of Non Indigenes In Ogun State - By Dr Chris Orie / Photos Of Uche Secondus And Olusegun Obasanjo At A Press Conference Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.