Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. (371 Views)

Qualitygod Return Back My Money - Lg Led 43 Inches For Sale By Qualitygod.(pics) / 10+ Best Cheapest Fingerprint Android Phones in Nigeria To Buy in 2022 / * Leagoo KIICAA Power | 2gb /16gb | 4000mah | Fingerprint | Etc. Just 17.5k * (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by ewondertv(m): 8:31am On Mar 12, 2021
...Long thread loading...

Fingerprint Biometric, Are we ready for this technology in Nigeria?
Back in 2012, I had an interview with the First bank and one of the interviewers asked me. As an internal auditor, what do you think is the best solution against the impersonation of customer’s personal accounts? I instantly mentioned “Biometric”.

All the four interviewers looked at me with their eagle � eyes. I felt as if I mentioned something that sounds very foreign to them. I heard their inner voices from the look on their faces. it sounded like “that is not the best solution against the impersonation of customer’s personal accounts, we are not even ready".

In 2012, customers, banks, regulators and Nigerian society were not even near ready. Smartphones like Samsung and iPhone were recently introduced to us. Although I was ready to terminate my interviewers if they even asked me to defend myself, unfortunately for them, the thing was very foreign to the Nigerian environment, so they decided to let it slide.

Looking back today, I come to realize that even some biometric types like Fingerprint, Facial recognition etc have their issues.

*Biometric is not secret and can be easy to copy, unlike our pin and passwords. They are everywhere.
*Biometric hardware are sometimes not foolproof. They can be fooled.
* Biometric data can be stolen/hacked and reused.
*Biometric enrolment issues.
*False rejection/acceptance rate.
*Coupled with the insecurity problem in Nigeria.

Before now, bandit will kidnap you and your ATM card, take you to a lonely ATM Machine to withdraw your hard-earned money. Now they don’t even need you. All they need is your finger and your BVN. I won’t be surprised if we start hearing that people’s fingers are missing during their sleep. This will only occur if these fingerprint biometric ATMs hardware cannot detect that fingers are live.

Don’t misquote me fingerprint biometric is a very good technology for banking. GTB, Access, Sterling and Zenith have introduced the technology. With the latest FCMB news, it will gradually become a norm for Nigerian society.

If you ask me again in 2021, how can we solve the problem of impersonation of customer's personal accounts in banks and other financial institutions? I will still mention fingerprint biometric as my first choice. But now I am asking the same question in the mind of my four interviewers, 9 years after...Are we (Customers, banks, regulators and Nigeria society at large ) ready for this fingerprint biometric technology?

How can we reduce the risks that I mentioned above?

1. Make the use of fingerprint biometric technology in the ATM exclusively voluntary for the customers through former paper requests. Let customers accept the risks that come with this kind of technology.

2. Implement technologies with the ability to detect whether a finger is live and may also match it with additional data such as the fingerprint on a Smart ID card.

3. Improve cybersecurity practices including serious security awareness for bank customers.

4. Nigerian government should be serious in solving the problem of insecurity.

5. The CBN should ensure strict regulations and conducts a serious periodic audit of the CBN regulatory framework for BVN on Banks and other Financial Institutions.

-Tayowonder

1 Share

Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by ewondertv(m): 8:32am On Mar 12, 2021
Cc seun
Cc lalastical
Cc seun

Please move to front page.
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by Sonoyom(m): 8:43am On Mar 12, 2021
h
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by ewondertv(m): 9:05am On Mar 12, 2021
Sonoyom:
h
What do you think ? Are we ready ?
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by johnmartus(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2021
The fact is that our banking sector are not ready to fight impersonations. Because the bank employees are also a potential thief. I'm even on opinion that Nigeria lawmakers should enact a law that any customer lost their money as a result of impersonation the bank should pay the customer in a return. I think by doing this the banks sector will increase their security that always compromise...

There are many solutions that banks could use to stop impersonations...Although this is not America but not withstanding Nigeria banking sector can adopt some of their policies.

For example in America when account is under compromise the transaction will put on hold maybe like 3or 7days. Also there is a security question that checkmate impersonation before moving money ...Another way is that maybe you open your account in lagos island. And that's the same address you put down as your residential address and most of your transactions carryout in the same environment. Maybe some years later you moved to IKEJA the first day you will try to make a transaction in your new address bank will decline your transaction you must go to the bank and update your new address before carryout any transaction.

January this year I still can't explain how fraudster moved 1.5 in my account. The same account I couldn't move more than 30k except I add 4last digits of my Atm.i didn't disclose any of my information to anyone.
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by sunshineV(f): 11:39am On Mar 12, 2021
useless thread
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by lordm(m): 12:42pm On Mar 12, 2021
Beautiful, that's great. I actually thought of that, before someone will cut off my fingers because of money
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by ewondertv(m): 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2021
sunshineV:
useless thread
Why do you think this thread is useless. Do you think we should not have this conversation ? Do you think we should wait till we start having issues before we start this conversation ?
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by ewondertv(m): 4:37pm On Mar 12, 2021
I would love to see more opinion on this matter. Front page please

Cc seun
Cc lalastical
Cc seun
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by sunshineV(f): 4:38pm On Mar 12, 2021
ewondertv:
Why do you think this thread is useless. Do you think we should not have this conversation ? Do you think we should wait till we start having issues before we start this conversation ?
fingerprint, pin, facial recognition....if i have a gun, u will give me what i want
Re: Fingerprint Biometric, Bandit Can Cut My Finger And Withdraw My Money. by ipobarethieves: 4:45pm On Mar 12, 2021
sad May God help us in dis obodo 9ja where everything is upside down.Criminals are up/doing..I doubt dis PataNLA NIN go ever solve anything.We won't be surprise if dey ask us to go queue and do another Useless identity card. Nothing dey work here sad

(1) (Reply)

Hp Elitebook 745 G3 | 4gb | 500gb | 1gb Dedicated... SOLD / Samsung Galaxy Note9. 109k! / sold!U.s Used Iphone XR 64gb 185k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.