Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? (21326 Views)

My Wife Is Not Comfortable With My Religious Views / 61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by ATOZ9999(m): 11:12am On Mar 14, 2021
Some people sha, muslims and xtians are not unbelievers,me can marry anybody
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by didoflex(m): 11:28am On Mar 14, 2021
No. Well as long as both of you are not fanatical. I am actually a Muslim, my wife is a Christian and we have been married for 13 years. My sister-inlaws (My brother wife's family) parents are the same. Mum is a Deaconess in her Church and her husband is an Alhaji. Some of their kids are Muslim, some Christian. It very common amongst Yoruba people. We tend to have Muslims & Christians in our families. So Sallah, Easter, Christmas is jolly time!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Oshokalo: 11:39am On Mar 14, 2021
edoairways:

An average Muslim sees an average Christian as unbeliever and vice versa
grin
edoairways:

An average Muslim sees an average Christian as unbeliever and vice versa
u are very wrong,Muslim see Christians as infidel(kafiri)while christian see Muslims or any other non christian as unbeliever
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Ladycewhy(f): 11:40am On Mar 14, 2021
Kingzeez10:

Trust me you're stewpid and you're not aware . How many Muslims have you seen or heard that killed their daughter because she married a Christian ,my 2 sisters married Christians and for your information Muslim pray 5 times daily and Christians also bow there heads to pray too.
Tell us about HONOR KILLING in islam.

Terrorists,I bet you wish you can dagger me through the screen for blasphemy grin grin cheesy
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by deenvibe(m): 11:42am On Mar 14, 2021
drginger:
Same thing happened to me but I was able to walk away, he promised I was going go be allowed practice my religion in his house, I thought of my family and everyone I was going to cause pain. Then I thought of my unborn kids, who was going to name them? Would they be allowed to church? The salvation of my unborn kids was a major discouraging factor, so I walked away.
He is married with kids now, checked me up to say he has forgiven me for not marrying him without good reasons, still feels he would be happier with me. He is a very good man and I did love him but salvation is greater!

Are u now married?
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by MightyHand(m): 12:09pm On Mar 14, 2021
oieda:

For this matter, two things are involved.
It is either none of you are devoted to your stated religion or at least one of you is. If none of you are devoted to being a muslim or christian then you automatically belong to a different religion called secularism, so your question is no longer a problem.
If at least one of you is devoted two things are involved. It is either he is, and nothing else because if you are, you will not be asking this question. If he is, then sister you are entering one chance.

PS: You are not marrying only the guy but his family. Be prepared to convert, because if he does, his family will mostly likely disown him. My 2 cents.

He said it all. If you're 100% ready to convert to Muslim and abide with the rul5e of Islamic, then no qualms angry angry angry

PEACE TO UR HOME
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by BePrepared: 12:12pm On Mar 14, 2021
He's just a sleeping lion, by the time he wakes up, it will be too late 4 u
Receive sense
This I pray
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by freshvine(f): 12:13pm On Mar 14, 2021
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. So say the holy bible.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by lawrenzooo: 12:21pm On Mar 14, 2021
Onyi22:
From my inbox

I met this guy in my final year in school, we almost shared the same view in life, he possesed all the qualities I need in a man.

He's so caring, kind, handsome, a good pay Job n from a humble home, I can't deny the fact that I Love him.

But the issue is that he's a Muslim while am a christian lady.

Pls house does religion matters in marriage
Lately am beginning to realise that in marriage everything matters
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by APOSTLECHUMA: 12:32pm On Mar 14, 2021
AHAB MARRIED JEZEBEL- A DAUGHTER OF A PAGAN PRIEST AND SHE LED ISRAEL INTO IDOLATRY. SAMSON REJECTED THE PARENT'S ADVISE AND WENT AFTER DELILAH A DESCENDANT OF ISHMAEL AND HE HAD HIS EYES PLUCKED OUT. BURN THAT LOVE U HAVE FOR A MUSLIM WITH 50 LITERS OF FUEL AND WAIT FOR UR TRUE HUS.

2 Likes

Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by JOSH54: 12:42pm On Mar 14, 2021
Onyi22:
From my inbox

I met this guy in my final year in school, we almost shared the same view in life, he possesed all the qualities I need in a man.

He's so caring, kind, handsome, a good pay Job n from a humble home, I can't deny the fact that I Love him.

IT MATTERS ALOT, A MUSLIM MAN IS PERMITTED TO MARRY 4 WIVES N IF HE DO THAT, WILL U BE COMFORTABLE? AS FAR AS AM CONCERN, U ARE ONLY BEARING D CHRISTAIN NAME BUT NOT D CHARACTER.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 12:43pm On Mar 14, 2021
StreetFight:

You are the unbeliever here. It us only unbelievers like the Pharisees that think Heaven is made for them only.

Please mind you, Muslims are not begging to marry you Church goers who are always half nakked on the streets.

You go and marry them, nobody is holding you.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 12:45pm On Mar 14, 2021
Terminal1805:
it's because of fulish ppl like you that's why the religion sector in Nigeria will always have prob... bunch of hypocrite and racist ... modafukr

You are either Hot or cold, no lukewarmness is allowed.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 12:45pm On Mar 14, 2021
Ibfpleasant:
So, Muslims are unbelievers ?
yup
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 12:49pm On Mar 14, 2021
uthlaw:
if Jesus is Lord,then God is what,if Jesus is God,who is son of God,so God can be killed by the people he created!

Lol, your matter too long. Go and read the new testament to answer your question. God exalted Jesus and gave him a name above every name, that is why he is lord.

1 Like

Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 12:56pm On Mar 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Actually, what that favour verse which you misquote there is " Do Not Be UNEQUALLY yoked with an unbeliever".

And the meaning implies that whatever deal/contract you enter into with an unbeliever, be sure that the deal Is 50/50 for both parties.

The verse does not command that you not marry an unbeliever as many of you have been indoctrinated into believing. The author of the letter does not have any power to give you any commands of his own. He is instead to teach you that which is of Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ did not give you any commandments regarding who you can marry and religion.

Yes it's unequal, you are right, i made a mistake
And yes it also applicable in business and entering contracts but pls your interpretation of it is wrong. The concept of being yoked stem from when they use Oxen to farm those days. The two animals that they will yoke together has to be equal in size if not there will be trouble. So being yoked with an unbeliever is what makes it unequal because you two are not of the same levels
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Mutaultope(m): 1:00pm On Mar 14, 2021
it matters alot

tried settling this same issue for a couple last year , but they eventually divorced

It is when you enter into marriage that you will see a lot of loopholes

Don't allow is outward attributes deceive you oooooo

I don warn !!! ire ooooooo
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 1:01pm On Mar 14, 2021
Tonalphs:

sir, the bible said don't be unequally yoked with unbelievers. it clearly means that the relationship is not equal.
but if it's what you're quoting 'equally yoked", it means the relationship is an equal one.
a Christian to Christian relationship is an equally yoked. but a Christian to another relationship is an unequally yoked.
thank you sir

Welcome
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 1:02pm On Mar 14, 2021
Offpoint1:

Do you know you're unbeliever to a Muslim too?

In the Muslim view, you won't go heaven and Christian view, the Muslim guy won't go to heaven.... Do you see the damage of religion here?

So you are saying I should be an Atheist
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Minemrys: 1:05pm On Mar 14, 2021
Onyi22:
From my inbox

religi0n doesn't matter. But we are the ones who make it matter. Subc0nsciously we have being brainwashed into seeing other people different fr0m us as damned to hell, evil and vice versa. Christians see muslims as evil. Muslims see christians as same and lost. But they forget it's 1 idea we are all submitting to, the idea of a supreme being. If you have no problem with his religi0n [which i very much kn0w you will. You are igbo, and igbos generally hate muslims] am pretty sure your family will. When u give birth, would u be okay with ur kids going to the m0sque? Would he be okay if u t0ok them to church? That's that.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 1:06pm On Mar 14, 2021
osazsky:
so if u see a depressed prostitute in need of help u wont show her care.its only christains u will be converting..nowadays evangelism is trying to convert another christian to leave his own church and start your own..is this not mockery

As in ehh, that thing dey vex me. We are supposed to reach out to the world and not fighting for other church's member. I detest and speak against it, but concerning the prostitute matter, I would show care na.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Femeto: 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2021
Yankee101:
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 Corinthians 6:14
This is why Bokoharam and banditry is taking over Nigeria. Most of us didn't even go to universities thay are for Christians and Muslims only. When you finally graduate you work in organization where you have all religions. This verse no follow now abeg.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by uthlaw: 1:36pm On Mar 14, 2021
Gentle0wavez:

Lol, your matter too long. Go and read the new testament to answer your question. God exalted Jesus and gave him a name above every name, that is why he is lord.
what happened to the old testament he brought himself...new testament was introduced by Paul!
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Myer(m): 1:45pm On Mar 14, 2021
Onyi22:
From my inbox

Are you a Christian? Then the Bible teaches that you should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. 2 Cor 6:14.
Likewise Islam does not allow you to even eat with non-muslims talkless of marrying one.

So if you're religious or from a religious background, marrying outside your religion is unacceptable.

But if you're really born of love, you'll know that love is beyond religion, tribe, creed, etc.

It really depends on if you know that you're both mutually feeling the same way.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Gentle0wavez: 1:59pm On Mar 14, 2021
uthlaw:
what happened to the old testament he brought himself...new testament was introduced by Paul!

The old testament is very, very, very important too, and I'm not in anyway belittling it but the question that was asked about Jesus, the old testament would not answer it clearly. Apostle Paul clearly explained the new covenant of the blood of Jesus and why he is lord.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by mechanics(m): 2:18pm On Mar 14, 2021
It matters o, you need to marry someone who have the same faith with you, that will improve your spiritual life and both of will make heaven at last.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by drginger(f): 2:44pm On Mar 14, 2021
deenvibe:

Are u now married?

Nah, still single
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Ghostmode2two(m): 2:59pm On Mar 14, 2021
Onyi22:
From my inbox

It all depends on you, if you don't allow religion to disturb you and also if you are a jealous woman then I am scared because Muslim men are allowed to marry more than one wife. Also will you convert to his religion? If you can answer these questions within you convincingly then fire on, nothing do you
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Offpoint1: 3:08pm On Mar 14, 2021
Gentle0wavez:

So you are saying I should be an Atheist
I'm not asking you to be anything, I'm just pointing something out to you.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by helicoptarr: 3:18pm On Mar 14, 2021
Sharonstone7719:
In matters like this, you don't need to seek public opinion but Godly counsel
The Bible clearly states that you as a Christian should not be of equal yoke to an unbeliever
You have contrary beliefs+incompatible in religions)

Ojukokoro is a strong demon.
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Kobojunkie: 3:58pm On Mar 14, 2021
Gentle0wavez:
Yes it's unequal, you are right, i made a mistake
And yes it also applicable in business and entering contracts but pls your interpretation of it is wrong.
I am afraid I did not apply any interpretation to what is in fact written. In fact, nowhere in the teachings of Jesus Christ are you called on to apply any special interpretation to that which is written to you. All you need do is use basic human comprehension skills which everyone with the ability to understand any human language out there naturally has.

Again, read what that verse says. "Do not be UNEQUALLY yoked with an unbeliever". If you apply the rules you learnt in primary/secondary school to the processing of meaning contained in sentences(double negative cancel out), you find that the statements "Do not be Unequally yoked with an unbeliever" and "Do be equally yoked with unbelievers" are logically equivalent , where the negatives are found in the word "not" and the term "Un" in "Unequally". undecided

So as you can see, simple language processing using simple human language comprehension skills which we all learned in school is what is necessary in grasping what was in fact written in that one line.

Cross check this against what Jesus Christ, the Master, in fact taught us, an you find that Jesus Christ never in fact commanded us against sitting of associating with unbelievers, after all He Himself stated that we are in the world, even though(as far as Truth of God is concerned) we are His and do not belong to the world.
Gentle0wavez:
The concept of being yoked stem from when they use Oxen to farm those days. The two animals that they will yoke together has to be equal in size if not there will be trouble. So being yoked with an unbeliever is what makes it unequal because you two are not of the same levels
Well, the concept of being yoked also apply as far as contracts,covenants, and relationships between individuals...
Even Jesus Christ declared that He had come to give you a lighter yoke and easy burden through His Covenant.

Matthew 11 vs 27-30 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
.....and since we are not animals, we are best sticking to the definitions and use of the word as it applies to our species.

As long as you are on this earth, you will at one time or another find yourself yoked with unbelievers... e.g. You might have them as your landlord or renter, your phone data supplier, your grocery seller, your driver, your school teacher - unbelievers are everywhere and Jesus Christ never commanded against commanded you against relating to those whom you believe are unbelievers. He never said you cannot be in business with them or enter into marriage contracts with them. Jesus Christ never taught you any of that. undecided
Re: Does Religious Differences Matter In Marriage? by Yankee101: 4:04pm On Mar 14, 2021
Femeto:
This is why Bokoharam and banditry is taking over Nigeria. Most of us didn't even go to universities thay are for Christians and Muslims only. When you finally graduate you work in organization where you have all religions. This verse no follow now abeg.

Matthew 10:16
Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is It Wrong For A Girl To Stay Alone? / How To Deal With A Workaholic Man / Broken Marriage, Please Advise me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.