Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. (401 Views)

Obiano Shuts Nnewi Spare Parts Market Over Non-Compliance With COVID-19 / Regville - Hub Of Company Registration, Tax Matters And Other Allied Services / How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 8:00am On Mar 13, 2021
Hello, I'm a lawyer with expertise in tax matters, we would discuss tax matters on this thread, resolution of tax controversy, and all that.
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 9:59am On Mar 13, 2021
I would take on withholding tax this Morning. Withholding tax has been one of the headaches of most business merchants In Nigeria, it's very complex, and it's a grey area of the law. but I would simplify this aspect of law for business owners

To put this in context, What is withholding tax exactly? Withholding tax is a mechanism introduced by the government to ensure that people who are supposed to pay taxes do not evade paying the taxes. it is a tool that would help the government identify persons who are supposed to pay taxes. Withholding taxes are imposed and regulated by The Companies Income Tax Regulations of 1997 (WHT Regulations).

This law provides that transactions and contracts are generally subject to WHT taxes with a particular exemption; which we will come to later.

Who is supposed to pay withholding taxes in a given transaction?
By operation of the regulations, The paying customer, in transactions that are subject to withholding taxes, is the person who pays withholding taxes on such transactions to the government. the rate oF WHT can range from 2.5% to 10% of the contract sum.

Let me give you an example, lets assume a company produces copper wire, by operation of the WHT Regulations, whoever buys copper wire from the company is supposed to pay a withholding tax to the FIRS in the name of the supplying company. This would help FIRS to know that the copper wire company is supposed to pay taxes to the Government. S81 of the Capital Income Tax Act provides that The Withholding tax is to be refunded back to the company within 90 days when the company pays its normal income Tax.

Now, what are the exemptions, I.e When will a transaction not be subjected to withholding tax? the WHT regulation provided that all types of contracts and agency arrangements are subject to withholding taxes EXCEPT sales in the ordinary course of business

This is where the problem usually comes forth. The question is this, what transactions. are "Sales in the ordinary course of business" and as such would not be subject to WHT taxes? FIRS in enforcing the law practically made all contractual transactions subject to WHT and would most times not refund companies. The FIRS believes that as long as you write a formal contract, you are subject to WHT. However, this is wrong.

The Tax appeal Tribunal has laid down some tests that must be passed before the FIRS or any relevant tax agency can subject your transactions to withholding tax. the court said 4 things must be considered,

1.) Whether the transaction is related to the type of business stated in the Memorandum and Article of association of the company. (Memorandum and Article of association is a fancy word for the official business plan and rules of the company that is recognized by law) if the transaction is related to the business contained in the official business plan, most likely your transaction would not be subject to WHT.

A simple tax planning strategy that you can do is to expand the aim of your business i.e expand your official business plan to contain likely contracts that the company would enter into, you will forward this to the Corporate Affairs Commission. who will register it on your behalf. or you can draft your contracts in such a way that it would reflect the official business of the company.

2.) The type of industry a business operates in. another factor that would be considered is the type of industry that a company operates in. for example, Oil and gas companies, Maritime and shipping companies may likely have withholding taxes imposed on their contracts as the buying parties are usually international partners,(there are ways by which it can be structured) but however an importer of household items by nature of his business should not be subject to withholding taxes.

3.) The Antecedent of the Taxpayer. If the Taxpayer is the type who evades taxes, Withholding taxes may be likely imposed on most of the taxpayer's transactions however if the taxpayer is someone who doesn't default on paying his taxes, then WHT taxes shouldn't apply, Because remember the purpose of the law is to ensure that people don't evade paying the necessary taxes.

4.) The frequency of the Transaction. if the transaction is a type that the company routinely engages in, it something they do almost every time, such a transaction should not be subject to WHT. however, if the transaction is a "once in a while" transaction, depending on the type of industry, WHT may be imposed however remember the industry matters.

So as a lawyer one of the things I can help your business with is to give "a legally backed and research-filled opinion", as to whether your transaction should be subject to withholding taxes. I could also help plan and restructure your business in a tax-efficient manner.

next, we would talk about Refunding process of WHT
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by adekusibe10(m): 5:32am On Mar 14, 2021
good morning the law. i registered my company two years ago. and i have nt pay any tax. how can i go about it
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 6:48am On Mar 14, 2021
adekusibe10:
good morning the law. i registered my company two years ago. and i have nt pay any tax. how can i go about it

Hello good morning.

In order for me to advise you efficiently, and help you comply with the law, I would have to check out for some information about your business like your location, how it was registered, the kind of business you deal in. e.t.c all these have a bearing on the type of taxes that you would pay. in order for me to adequately help you determine which taxes you are to pay and who you are to pay it to, I need access to that information.

For instance, if you registered your company, as a business name, you don't have much business with the FIRS but with your state internal revenue board, Except you are in Abuja,

so I would have to ask you questions by email, as disclosures on a public forum might not be okay for your business. you can send me a mail with the email stated on my profile. however (if you are okay with it, we can discuss it here)
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by adekusibe10(m): 7:08am On Mar 14, 2021
Thank u sir. we can disscuss it here . my company name is fajao international projects limited. we are into rural electricfication, installation of transformer, engineering consultancy, civil, building and general contractor
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 7:42am On Mar 14, 2021
adekusibe10:
Thank u sir. we can disscuss it here . my company name is fajao international projects limited. we are into rural electricfication, installation of transformer, engineering consultancy, civil, building and general contractor
all right. are you registered as a company limited by shares or a business name, also where are you located?. the first step would be to obtain a tax identification number, Which is your special id for tax purposes.
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by adekusibe10(m): 7:46am On Mar 14, 2021
by shares and my registered office is in Lagos and i base in Abuja
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 7:50am On Mar 14, 2021
adekusibe10:
by shares and my registered office is in Lagos and i base in Abuja

alright, that means you would pay your taxes to the FIRS. for a company ltd by shares, the taxes to be paid is 30% of profits subject to some deductions .
however, the first step would be to obtain a TIN tax identification number
that's where you start from, do you have it already?
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by adekusibe10(m): 7:56am On Mar 14, 2021
Yes and have company acct
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by ElectronicMoney(m): 3:57pm On Mar 14, 2021
CorporateJay:
I would take on withholding tax this Morning. Withholding tax has been one of the headaches of most business merchants In Nigeria, it's very complex, and it's a grey area of the law. but I would simplify this aspect of law for business owners

To put this in context, What is withholding tax exactly? Withholding tax is a mechanism introduced by the government to ensure that people who are supposed to pay taxes do not evade paying the taxes. it is a tool that would help the government identify persons who are supposed to pay taxes. Withholding taxes are imposed and regulated by The Companies Income Tax Regulations of 1997 (WHT Regulations).

This law provides that transactions and contracts are generally subject to WHT taxes with a particular exemption; which we will come to later.

Who is supposed to pay withholding taxes in a given transaction?
By operation of the regulations, The paying customer, in transactions that are subject to withholding taxes, is the person who pays withholding taxes on such transactions to the government. the rate oF WHT can range from 2.5% to 10% of the contract sum.

Let me give you an example, lets assume a company produces copper wire, by operation of the WHT Regulations, whoever buys copper wire from the company is supposed to pay a withholding tax to the FIRS in the name of the supplying company. This would help FIRS to know that the copper wire company is supposed to pay taxes to the Government. S81 of the Capital Income Tax Act provides that The Withholding tax is to be refunded back to the company within 90 days when the company pays its normal income Tax.

Now, what are the exemptions, I.e When will a transaction not be subjected to withholding tax? the WHT regulation provided that all types of contracts and agency arrangements are subject to withholding taxes EXCEPT sales in the ordinary course of business

This is where the problem usually comes forth. The question is this, what transactions. are "Sales in the ordinary course of business" and as such would not be subject to WHT taxes? FIRS in enforcing the law practically made all contractual transactions subject to WHT and would most times not refund companies. The FIRS believes that as long as you write a formal contract, you are subject to WHT. However, this is wrong.

The Tax appeal Tribunal has laid down some tests that must be passed before the FIRS or any relevant tax agency can subject your transactions to withholding tax. the court said 4 things must be considered,

1.) Whether the transaction is related to the type of business stated in the Memorandum and Article of association of the company. (Memorandum and Article of association is a fancy word for the official business plan and rules of the company that is recognized by law) if the transaction is related to the business contained in the official business plan, most likely your transaction would not be subject to WHT.

A simple tax planning strategy that you can do is to expand the aim of your business i.e expand your official business plan to contain likely contracts that the company would enter into, you will forward this to the Corporate Affairs Commission. who will register it on your behalf. or you can draft your contracts in such a way that it would reflect the official business of the company.

2.) The type of industry a business operates in. another factor that would be considered is the type of industry that a company operates in. for example, Oil and gas companies, Maritime and shipping companies may likely have withholding taxes imposed on their contracts as the buying parties are usually international partners,(there are ways by which it can be structured) but however an importer of household items by nature of his business should not be subject to withholding taxes.

3.) The Antecedent of the Taxpayer. If the Taxpayer is the type who evades taxes, Withholding taxes may be likely imposed on most of the taxpayer's transactions however if the taxpayer is someone who doesn't default on paying his taxes, then WHT taxes shouldn't apply, Because remember the purpose of the law is to ensure that people don't evade paying the necessary taxes.

4.) The frequency of the Transaction. if the transaction is a type that the company routinely engages in, it something they do almost every time, such a transaction should not be subject to WHT. however, if the transaction is a "once in a while" transaction, depending on the type of industry, WHT may be imposed however remember the industry matters.

So as a lawyer one of the things I can help your business with is to give "a legally backed and research-filled opinion", as to whether your transaction should be subject to withholding taxes. I could also help plan and restructure your business in a tax-efficient manner.

next, we would talk about Refunding process of WHT

Good write-up
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 6:21am On Mar 15, 2021
adekusibe10:
Yes and have company acct

I would love to be clear on what you need me to do for you.

Do you want to pay your taxes and you need me to work with you, as a tax consultant I.E walk you through the process of paying your taxes?

If that's what you need, that's not something we can do here on a public forum, because paying your taxes involves disclosing financial information since you already have TIN, you would have to verify it first, You can do it yourself on firs.gov.ng. Having your TIN is a great step moving forward

Then you obtain an access form, you fill it and submit it, then you do your filing, then you pay, then you obtain your TCC.

However, this takes a lot of work and that's what tax experts do for a living. so we can work together if you want us to.
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by CorporateJay(m): 6:22am On Mar 15, 2021
ElectronicMoney:

Good write-up
Thank You very much
Re: Tax Matters, Tax Controversy, Tax Compliance With A Tax Lawyer. by adekusibe10(m): 7:07am On Mar 15, 2021
ok. pls send me message on my mail. adekusibefateye10@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

We Buy Amazon Gift Card If You've / Which Logistics Is Good For Shopping In China / No Code: Build a startup Platform Just Like Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.