Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. (582 Views)

List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning / 'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by ShadowCracker(m): 1:00am On Mar 14, 2021
I saw this question on Twitter, it was quite controversial so I have decided to bring it here smiley.

8 / 2 (2 + 2).

Order of Operations
1. Perform all calculations within parentheses and other grouping symbols
following the order listed in Steps 2–4 below, working from the innermost
pair of grouping symbols to the outermost pair.
2. Evaluate all exponential expressions.
3. Perform all multiplications and divisions as they occur from left to right.
4. Perform all additions and subtractions as they occur from left to right.

O1 : (2 + 2) = 4.
O3 : 8 / 2 (4) => 8 / 2 * 4 => 4 * 4 => 16.

At O3: I know some people will get 1, it is wrong wink.
8 / 2 (4) => 8 / 8 => 1 -------------- wrong.
Evaluation is from left to right.
The only scenario you will get 1 is if it is structured this way => 8 / ( 2 * (4) ).

In my opinion, 16 is the right answer, not 1, I would like to see other mathematicians' opinions on this.

cc: Martinez39s Mrshape luv2rolly Kylekent59 donaytexx1 stanliwise.

Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by Mrshape: 6:10am On Mar 14, 2021
ShadowCracker:
I saw this question on Twitter, it was quite controversial so I have decided to bring it here smiley.

8 / 2 (2 + 2).

Order of Operations

The only scenario you will get 1 is if it is structured this way => 8 / ( 2 * (4) ).

In my opinion, 16 is the right answer, not 1, I would like to see other mathematicians' opinions on this.

The answer is 16.
The problem is people fail to know the direction of movement in multiplication ad division which is left to right. ( note addition and subtraction is also left to right)
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by ReneJay(f): 7:06am On Mar 14, 2021
The right answer is 16. 8/2(2+2)= 8/2(4)=4(4)=16
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by stanliwise(m): 7:45am On Mar 14, 2021
ShadowCracker:

8 / 2 (2 + 2).

Order of Operations

I think the answer should be 16
8 / 2(4) = 4(4) = 16

Also the answer could also be 1
8 / 8 = 1

It all boils down to how we write and how we communicate, this really has nothing to do with right or wrong answer, both answers are correct based on their interpretations, but in modern mathematics where we have clearly defined our mode of operation.
When someone in modern days gives you a calculation of 8/2(4), then simply assume you were told (8/2)(4) rather than 8/(2(4)).
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by paulolee(m): 7:59am On Mar 14, 2021
the answer is 79...na Wetin my calculator give me..
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 14, 2021
paulolee:
the answer is 79...na Wetin my calculator give me..
Actually mine gave me 1 (porpo)
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by Mrshape: 10:07am On Mar 14, 2021
Akamariner:
Actually mine gave me 1 (porpo)
your calculator is programmed with with strong operand.
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by donaytexx1(m): 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2021
ShadowCracker:

8 / 2 (2 + 2).

Order of Operations

The answer really is 16. In applying the order or precedence, we carry out the operations from left to right:

First sweep, L-R: 8/2(4)
Second sweep, L-R: 4(4)
Final step: 16

Since division and multiplication are of the same kind, we do the one that comes first as we sweep from left to right.
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by Ebuka78: 10:16pm On Mar 15, 2021
8÷2(2+2)
Bodmas

Bracket first. (2+2)= 4
8÷2 x 4
Division is the next.
8÷2 = 4

Then multiplication.
4 x 4 = 16
Re: What Is The Answer To This Confusing and Controversial Mathematics Question. by ShadowCracker(m): 10:23pm On Mar 15, 2021
donaytexx1:

The answer really is 16. In applying the order or precedence, we carry out the operations from left to right:

First sweep, L-R: 8/2(4)
Second sweep, L-R: 4(4)
Final step: 16

Since division and multiplication are of the same kind, we do the one that comes first as we sweep from left to right.
Spot on.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NUTM Scholars Program 2021 For Nigerian Students (round 3) / Study In CANADA For Free!!! Please Share, Share And Share. Thank Me Later! / 8th&9th Convocation Of Oduduwa University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.