Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,413 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

What Does The Bible Say About Humility? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About Humility? (227 Views)

About Humility May 4 / Trust, Humility & Sacrifice - The Secrets Of The Wealthiest Men In The Bible / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Say About Humility? by InfernoNig: 8:15am On Mar 14, 2021
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)

What is true humility -- and what is not true humility?

This really is part of the challenge: understanding what humility is… and what it isn't. I went a lot of my Christian life thinking that humility meant denying any compliments that anybody paid, or pretending that something I'd done well had not been done well. The last thing I wanted to be was proud. False humility takes those two forms. One is dishonesty: someone says, "You did a great job!" and you find some way to demean the job, pretending that it wasn't as good as it was. We all know isn't really true. But we don't want to be proud.

The other way is to be deceptive and is to pretend to be humble when we're really not. Inside, we know better. And others really know better as well. We use humble language, but we're really pretty proud of what we've done. (And very proud that they've told us!) There’s an old joke about the guy that writes the book, "Humility, and How I Perfected It." It's a sense that we're proud of our humility. That's obviously not what the Bible has in mind when it calls us to humility.

This Is True Humility

Peace
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Humility? by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Mar 14, 2021
InfernoNig:
[/i]What is true humility -- and what is not true humility?

This really is part of the challenge: understanding what humility is… and what it isn't. I went a lot of my Christian life thinking that humility meant denying any compliments that anybody paid, or pretending that something I'd done well had not been done well. The last thing I wanted to be was proud. False humility takes those two forms. One is dishonesty: someone says, "You did a great job!" and you find some way to demean the job, pretending that it wasn't as good as it was. We all know isn't really true. But we don't want to be proud.

The other way is to be deceptive and is to pretend to be humble when we're really not. Inside, we know better. And others really know better as well. We use humble language, but we're really pretty proud of what we've done. (And very proud that they've told us!) There’s an old joke about the guy that writes the book, [i]"Humility, and How I Perfected It."
It's a sense that we're proud of our humility. That's obviously not what the Bible has in mind when it calls us to humility.
Peace
The humility God desires is humility on to Him, God, not onto men. So whether you choose to boast, or cower as far as men are concerned matters nothing as far as God is concerned. What matters is whether when it comes to the things of God, you place God above all that is men and of man. That is what He desires of you and wants is your trust and obedience of Him and Him alone.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Humility? by gideonjeta(m): 7:35pm On Mar 14, 2021
InfernoNig:

What is true humility -- and what is not true humility?

The other way is to be deceptive and is to pretend to be humble when we're really not. Inside, we know better. And others really know better as well. We use humble language, but we're really pretty proud of what we've done. (And very proud that they've told us!) There’s an old joke about the guy that writes the book, "Humility, and How I Perfected It." It's a sense that we're proud of our humility. That's obviously not what the Bible has in mind when it calls us to humility.

Peace
The Bible's reference of humility relates to man's relationship to God and to his fellowmen, as outlined in the Bible, and then practicing the principles learned. In other words, throw away your pride, acknowledge your mistake, set matters straight with others, and seek forgiveness. Jesus admonished that a person humbles himself before God as a child and, instead of trying to be prominent, minister to or serve his brothers.—Matt. 18:4; 23:12.

(1) (Reply)

See What Pastor Was Putting In The Mouth Of His Church Members In Broad Daylight / How Do Atheist Explain Manifestations Of The Holyspirit (falling Under The Power /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.