Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation (34960 Views)

Condoms, Guns, Cigarettes From German Submarine Sank During WWII (Pics) / WWII Plane Recovered From Black Sea After Crashing 77 Years Ago(Pics) / My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Zane2point4(m): 5:38pm On Mar 25, 2021
You people are talking about food and cuisines,
Am here thinking what's wrong with Africa particularly Nigeria....

In other news we saw in kaduna zoo a lion died blc of hunger and starvation.

But see white man's land, see history, see logistics, see clean tidy environment, see neatness, see arrangements, see packaging, just for history, yet we are finding it difficult to manage a zoo.

I still don't believe black man's brain have evolved, white man's brain is upto date, unless black wey don civilize with them.

7 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by JaceBlaze: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
AFONJACOW:
why should I be in tears when I will be wishing and blaming my ancestors for denying me opportunity to be an American by birth.. why they no allow slave masters catch them

Worry not because the Chinese are coming.Your wish to be a slave shall be granted

2 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

I hope we can't forgive blacks too for thanking slaves themselves.
Cause I remember all races partook in it. All culture in the past believed you could own someone

I’m all about forgiveness and moving forward. The goal is to not let history repeat itself, so it’s important that we educate others regarding what happened to avoid this from happening again. Many systemic problems around the world are rooted back to some form of slavery, and mans need to make others feel inferior. But at the end of the day, we’re all ONE human race, and as such, ALL people should be respected and treated equally, period.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by petitejolie(f): 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2021
You and your hubby look alike o. Are u twins cheesy anyway never knew New Orleans has this beauty and history to behold. The only thing that comes to my mind is hurricane katrina and the ugly aftermath of it.

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by rickleye: 5:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

YES friend, you should definitely go and visit the The Whitney Plantation. It’s emotional yet educational and inspirational. Finally a museum from the victims point of view. We were so grateful and happy we went. One of the highlights of my trip! grin

Houston isn’t too far away from NOLA, plus they got amazing food, some of the best live jazz bands playing everyday and a lit nightlife! Oooooo Bourbon street is an adventure in itself!

Not sure, I want to go and place myself under such emotional strain. I will become angry and I don't trust myself when very mad. It was sick then as It is now and I am not sure how to make things right still 100 years after.

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

I’m all about forgiveness and moving forward. The goal is to not let history repeat itself, so it’s important that we educate others regarding what happened to avoid this from happening again. Many systemic problems around the world are rooted back to some form of slavery, and mans need to make others feel inferior. But at the end of the day, we’re all ONE human race, and as such, ALL people should be respected and treated equally, period.
Sure. I agree.
Educate everyone about the evil perpetrated by all groups(especially if it is proven that this "necessary education" does not incite more bad blood"wink. Not just singling one group as the evil doers and the other as a saint. I feel all boils down to the motive and sincerity of actions.
But this is solely my opinion ma. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 5:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Understand, I left in tears but I’m grateful I went. I’m black and proud, and it was good to see just what my ancestors endured. Unfortunately they don’t teach this in American schools, even though it’s part of our history.

I’m my ancestors wildest dream, and they didn’t die in vain because Black Lives Matter!

Your ancestors sold those slaves to the white men ?

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 5:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
rickleye:

Not sure, I want to go and place myself under such emotional strain. I will become angry and I don't trust myself when very mad. It was sick then as It is now and I am not sure how to make things right still 100 years after.

The plantation tour is optional and I’ll admit, not everyone does this tour. I felt obligated to myself to do this tour to show my respects and to understand better what my ancestors went through and died for. It’s a somberly experience, but if my ancestors had to endure it, then I can spare time to see what they had to experience. That’s just me. It was well worth it and I would do it again, I felt very empowered to “do better” after visiting.

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by LordTrezy(m): 5:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:
Red Fish Grill on the famous Bourbon Street! We sampled: BBQ Oysters, round of Oyster Shooters (cocktail), Fried Catfish Bites
I was here the weekend before the last. Omo i couldn't eat any of the delicacies in their eatery. I ended up thrashing the food i took out. But i like the street party, it was fun. The street jam and the dance. New Orleans has rich history. The old French houses are well maintained and are beauty to behold.

NB: my friend and I spent about 30 minutes on the queue to get this nonsense grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Sure. I agree.
Educate everyone about the evil perpetrated by all groups(especially if it is proven that this "necessary education" does not incite more bad blood"wink. Not just singling one group as the evil doers and the other as a saint. I feel all boils down to the motive and sincerity of actions.
But this is solely my opinion ma. Thanks

Point taken, although I didn’t single anyone or any specific ethnic group/race out. I’m sure there is blame that can be shared by many.

On the positive, we have moved forward, and I had the opportunity to visit and share my travel experience with others. I appreciate your perspective and respect your opinion.

Take care and be well friend!

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Blackdisciple(m): 6:00pm On Mar 25, 2021
Did you later get running stomach?

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Dollarship(m): 6:00pm On Mar 25, 2021
Na those food dey enter my eyes grin

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 6:02pm On Mar 25, 2021
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Your ancestors sold those slaves to the white men ?

Yes they did, and I forgive them for this egregious act.

Peace and blessings friend!
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Blackdisciple(m): 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
Did you later get running stomach after eating all that

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
U too dey enjoy, is not good.

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 6:05pm On Mar 25, 2021
Blackdisciple:
Did you later get running stomach?

No I did not.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by cococandy(f): 6:06pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Yes, my hotel was one block away from French Quarters.
awesome . I bet it took some of the gloom away from that Whitney experience.
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 6:06pm On Mar 25, 2021
Blackdisciple:
Did you later get running stomach after eating all that

No, also this was eaten over several days and I stayed away from foods that I have allergens to.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 6:12pm On Mar 25, 2021
Ogbaba123:
Nice
Approximately how much did this trip cost?

For travel tips you can follow me Instagram: MsTravelinDiva_ and
YouTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UCAYIVz9SCrNeWWDC-X5YB9A

I recently dropped a video with step-by-step instructions from my laptop on how to book the cheapest airfare, and even provided an example from
Lagos to JFK.

I hope this helps friend, stay safe and be well!

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
cococandy:
awesome . I bet it took some of the gloom away from that Whitney experience.
Thanks for sharing

Oh sure, the plantation took all of 1-2 hours, the rest of my trip was super FUN FUN FUN!

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by 2shaw: 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2021
Diabetes loading.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by LordTrezy(m): 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

No I did not.
How did you move around the busy streets, i went there on a Friday evening and everywhere was filled up. Had to park my car far away and rode on the cart. Would love to visit again, this time I'll ensure i spend 2 nights Friday till Sunday

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by LordTrezy(m): 6:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Yes, my hotel was one block away from French Quarters.
Which hotel did you use, can you recommend since i plan to go back in 2 weeks

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by xjiggy: 6:33pm On Mar 25, 2021
akinjideace:

Right! Even in the whiteman's world, black people are indispensable and valuable as much as we need them. We black people are intellectuals, blessed and excellent. The best they can do is to preserve the memories and let love lead. Whatever happened back then was the trend in the world back then. Humanity has moved on. Love should come first. No race is superior, nothing like pro-blacks, white supremacy, it's all against humanity. The world should come together as one.
Forgive but never ever Forget. The Black race is still been subject to racism.... whether open or systemic

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by xjiggy: 6:35pm On Mar 25, 2021
akinjideace:

Right! Even in the whiteman's world, black people are indispensable and valuable as much as we need them. We black people are intellectuals, blessed and excellent. The best they can do is to preserve the memories and let love lead. Whatever happened back then was the trend in the world back then. Humanity has moved on. Love should come first. No race is superior, nothing like pro-blacks, white supremacy, it's all against humanity. The world should come together as one.
Forgive but never ever Forget. The Black race is still been subject to racism.... whether open or systemic. The day you forget your past and all the atrocities suffered, that is the day u cease to exist. This applies everywhere and in everything
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by CEOwatazs: 6:39pm On Mar 25, 2021
Please, help me out with the pictures of Klaus Mikaelson's family house
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Brush1: 6:52pm On Mar 25, 2021
gnykelly:
I don't think I can forgive the whites for this atrocities. 300 good years a whole race was subjected to a level below an animal

I believe the aforementioned still exists but in an entirely different forms and degree. Proving our intellect and earning a respectful place in the world doesn't require violence or aggression. Those of the black race need to get ahead in terms of science, technology ecetra, and things will fall in place because those of the white race will come to seek ideas.

Respect they say is earned. We can't permanently sit back waiting for every innovation to emerge from the west. Doing so have a name and in my opinion it's known as telling the world that we are still slaves, waiting to be guided by their master.

Young Africans take pride in things that are invaluable, such as preferring to spend all their funds on material things such as designer clothing rather than emerge with innovations.

We wouldn't earn our place in the world and attract respect by wearing designer clothing. We need to sit back and have a rethink. Because, future generations are inheriting a very heavy burden from us.

Essentially, although am hesitant to state this but at some point the truth must be said. Blacks don't even like themselves enough. Love amongst blacks is lacking and that I believe is responsible for a black not willing to support a brother or a sister who's got a good idea. Instead we try to bring such person down and our government is an accomplice too, that's the reason our government never can identify any thing good in us.

A reorientation of ourselves is immensely required. I feel a lot of empathy toward the future generations because they are inheriting a very heavy burden from us.

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
LordTrezy:

How did you move around the busy streets, i went there on a Friday evening and everywhere was filled up. Had to park my car far away and rode on the cart. Would love to visit again, this time I'll ensure i spend 2 nights Friday till Sunday

We walked everywhere, or used Uber for far locations, I didn’t rent a car. Parking in downtown New Orleans is a no for me. Lodging centrally made it easy to get around on foot to most places.
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 7:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
LordTrezy:

Which hotel did you use, can you recommend since i plan to go back in 2 weeks

Absolutely, I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans hotel, I even did a TikTok video of the hotel if you’d like to check it out. Hotel was very nice the location is excellent.

I also have stayed at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside which was also very nice but further away from French Quarters.

Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by erico2k2(m): 7:24pm On Mar 25, 2021
Mstravelindiva:
Hello Nairalanders!

This post might be helpful for Nigerians living in diaspora or looking to vacation in the USA.

Let's me first say, I absolutely love "NOLA" as we here in the states fondly refer to New Orleans - it's literally a melting and such a fun city. The city simply does not sleep, and pretty much anything goes!

I recently visiting New Orleans, Louisiana on a “foodie tour” for 4 days. You might ask “what is a foodie tour”? It’s when you travel to a destination specifically to taste and sample local foods (and cocktails). Louisiana is a southern state and their cooking techniques clearly were passed down from our ancestors in Western Africa and France.

By way of history, Louisiana purchased African slaves and was part of the slave trade. We had the opportunity to visit the Whitney Plantation Museum. The Whitney Plantation Museum is the only museum in Louisiana with an exclusive focus on the lives of enslaved people. Many of its decedents can be linked back to Western Africa – a few we traced back to Nigeria, specifically Igbo and Yoruba tribes, although I’m sure there were other tribes.

I like to share this experience with you because many to travel to the USA yet bypass the southern states which you may have lineage through. It’s definitely eye opening (and painful) to see some of the conditions your ancestors had to live in and endure. However it’s our history and part of who we are.

We also visited the National WWII Museum which was quite interesting and educational as well.

If you would like to see about my travels, learn about budget travel tips, feel free to follow me on Instagram @MsTravelinDiva_ and YouTube MsTravelinDiva_.

Safe travels and I hope you enjoy!

First set of pictures is from my hotel. We lodged at the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans
OP, Are these places open for Business? even with this Covid regimeee
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by McTominay(m): 7:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
gnykelly:
I don't think I can forgive the whites for this atrocities. 300 good years a whole race was subjected to a level below an animal
we are currently going through over 60years of barren development and wasted resources by our own brother and blood, and you are concerned about slavery that was in existence and the order of the day before industrialization?
Boss allow the whites to explore, at least we can see signs of those explorations, what can we say about ourselves.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Amaechi Being Searched At Lagos Airport (Photo) / Gombe State Roads And Other Structures (pictures) / Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.