Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (113525 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:20am On Sep 05, 2013
@BigFrances
Your IGBO KIN ARE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN DUDE. THEY DROWNED, SOME COMITTED SUICIDE.
grin grin grin

@Kails
YOUR POST RINGS A BELL, AM SORRY NOW I CAN SEE U HAVE READ ALOT OF BOOKS ON SLAVE TRADE.

Yes most BIGHT OF BIAFRAN SLAVES DIED ON THEIR WAY TO THE NEW WORLD DUE TO WHAT THE EUROPEAN SLAVERS DUBBED AS "WILD WATERS OF THE BIGHT OF BIAFRA". Those who made it COMITTED SUICIDE, while few females were shagged by AKANS,BANTUS,MANDES. grin grin grin

*Kails*:

The point is it has nothing to do with youI

You do not determine what is fact or fiction because you want to spread this propaganda that we are mostly igbo. We have gone through toooo many times.

The fact of the matter is this Igbos were sent in large bulk to the new world but many...im sorry...MOST died at sea due to murder, drowning, poor health or they committed suicide. Like the kru ppl of liberia, igbos were known to be suicidal.

Majority of the bodies STILL at the bottom of the atlantic (or what is left of them) are ppl who look like you who were sold by ppl looked like them. OK? Now scram.

Thats some igbo truth for you.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:23am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: @Kails
YOUR POST RINGS A BELL, AM SORRY NOW I CAN SEE U HAVE READ ALOT OF BOOKS ON SLAVE TRADE.

Yes most BIGHT OF BIAFRAN SLAVES DIED ON THEIR WAY TO THE NEW WORLD DUE TO WHAT THE EUROPEAN SLAVERS DUBBED AS "WILD WATERS OF THE BIGHT OF BIAFRA". Those who made it COMITTED SUICIDE, while few females were shagged by AKANS,BANTUS,MANDES. grin grin grin

The same waters(Atlantic ocean) which other slaves passed through and miraculously made it alive while the Igbo slaves supposedly died, huh? grin grin

Before you claimed that Igbo slaves were bought in few numbers now you've turned around to claim again that they were bought in large numbers but died on their way to the Americas. How convenient of you to turn around and keep propagating lies that suits your sentiments.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:23am On Sep 05, 2013
@BigFrances

PLEASE READ PROPERLY THAT OBSERVATION ABOUT "LAZY IGBO MALES" WAS DONE BY ME. ITS ALL RECORDED IN DIFFERENT "ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE BOOKS" PITY U CAN'T CHANGE IT. HERE A BOOK BY AN AFRO AMERICAN PROF JOSEPH HOLLOWAY. His sources are from different slave trade records.

THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIANS IS READING, MOST RELY ON HEARSAY. GOSSIPPERS, U ASK THEM FOR THEIR SOURCE THEY START INSULTS. grin grin grin

AFRICANISMS IN AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE.

http://faculty.risd.edu/bcampbel/Templates/Templates/holloway.pdf
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:26am On Sep 05, 2013
@BigFrances
THIS ISN'T ME BUT WRITEN ALL OVER THE ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE BOOKS.

Go to HAVARD HISTORY SECTION YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

THOSE ARE WELL KNOWN HISTORIANS Frances U CAN'T CHANGE HISTORY OOO. SORRY 419ER. grin grin shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:30am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: @BigFrances

PLEASE READ PROPERLY THAT OBSERVATION ABOUT "LAZY IGBO MALES" WAS DONE BY ME. ITS ALL RECORDED IN DIFFERENT "ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE BOOKS" PITY U CAN'T CHANGE IT. HERE A BOOK BY AN AFRO AMERICAN PROF JOSEPH HOLLOWAY. His sources are from different slave trade records.

THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIANS IS READING, MOST RELY ON HEARSAY. GOSSIPPERS, U ASK THEM FOR THEIR SOURCE THEY START INSULTS. grin grin grin

AFRICANISMS IN AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE.

http://faculty.risd.edu/bcampbel/Templates/Templates/holloway.pdf

@bold1...aha! the truth is finally coming out! grin

@bold2...do you know the gravity of what you just said? His sources are different from most slave records(records that are genuine and valid that testify to the presence of igbo people in the transatlantic slave trade), and he got his own sources from who knows where then? What sources could be more genuine and valid than slave records? shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 05, 2013
bigfrancis21: Kails has pointed out to you point blank that the Igbo people were not lazy, yes. But they were suicidal because they valued their pride. They rather died than stay alive and get subjected to the terrible slave conditions which whites put them under.

That is true! Cant deny that.
That Is the truth right there. They have my respect for choosing to end their lives as opposed to deal with oppression. THere is nothing more honorable than that.

They were not docile like Akan slaves who were manipulated anyhow as the white slave masters so wished.
shocked shocked shocked
NOw hold on now!
You SURE you meant to say AKAN? Loooool.

Come on now! akan? ghanaian Akans especially, docile?!

Sir....um.
Lol
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:33am On Sep 05, 2013
@Bigfrances

Source:[PDF]A Companion to African American History
owlasylum.net/owl_underground/African_America ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
a whole, Bight of Biafra exports were 18.6 percent of the 317748 enslaved Africans recorded in the Du Bois database (Eltis et al. 1999)
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 05, 2013
Your IGBO KIN ARE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN DUDE. THEY DROWNED, SOME COMITTED SUICIDE.
grin grin grin

@Kails

Its just logic. Its a misconception that because they came in large numbers, they represent most of our ancestry. Again senegambians and bantus also came on high numbers...in fact there was no group higher than the kongo peoples. None. This also means they had a high mortality rate...so no group is mostly anything over here. We are a mix of all.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:36am On Sep 05, 2013
THIS ISN'T ME BUT WRITEN ALL OVER THE ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE BOOKS.

Go to HAVARD HISTORY SECTION YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

THOSE ARE WELL KNOWN HISTORIANS Frances U CAN'T CHANGE HISTORY OOO. SORRY 419ER. grin grin shocked shocked

One illusioned man's article suddenly becomes all over the slave trade books, huh? grin

I have data that proves Igbo people were taken in substantial numbers. The sources below should educate you.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: Apologies my sista.

No problem smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:38am On Sep 05, 2013
[b]Source:http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~cpercy/courses/6362/2/Africanates.htm

More recent work however, most notably by Joseph Holloway and Winifred Vass, suggests otherwise and they are able to trace a number of surviving Africanisms back to two ethnic groupings in Africa from which at least 70% of the ancestors of African Americans came from, the Mande and Bantu. The Africans from the Senegambia region (Mande speakers) were part of the greatest and most advanced of the Sudanic empires and many were enslaved as artisans and craftsman. According to Holloway and Vass, both the Mande and Wolof slaves were more often employed in the housework on the plantations and thus had a greater influence on white American culture. Many American children for instance would have learned African folk tales from the “mammies”, tales such as Brer Rabbit, Brer Wolf, Brer Fox, and the Uncle Remus stories which were originally Wolof folk tales brought to America by the Hausa, Fulani and Mandinka.

On the other hand, the Bantu slaves from Angola and Congo regions were employed primarily as field slaves. As a result, their impact on white culture was minimal, but isolation allowed their culture to develop without as much external interference. According to Vass and Holloway, their Africanisms developed into African American cooking, music (jazz, blues, spirituals, gospel), dance, language, religion, philosophy, and the arts. The enslaved Africans of the Carolinas became know as N’gola after King N’gola and thus eventually the term “Gullah” was used to describe the Creole language developed by them.

As a result of both the Mande and Bantu influences through the slave experience in the U.S., Vass and Holloway compile a list of Africanisms that have entered into contemporary American English but a close examination of these words reveal a continuing process of cultural eradication already seen. Take for instance the word “banjo” which is traced to a West African stringed musical instrument called an “mbanza”. The banjo was apparently a popular musical instrument among the black population until the 1840s when it was adopted by minstrel shows who made it part of the black face acts after[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:39am On Sep 05, 2013
@IGBOS
DEEP SOUTH(South Carolina/Georgia and Louisiana/Mississippi)
1st slaves imported into SC were Barbadian slaves of Ghanaian origin, then SENEGAMBIANS and then the BANTUS came in big numbers and between 1670-1730 70% of South Carolina slaves were of Angola Congo origin. Hence Stono rebellion in 1739 grin grin grin

LOUSIANA/MISSIPPI
1st slaves were SENEGAMBIANS and were later OUT NUMBERED by BANTUS of Angola/congo.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/etd/d/2003/robertskd036/robertskd036.pdf
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 05, 2013
DEEP SOUTH(South Carolina/Georgia and Louisiana/Mississippi) 1st slaves imported into SC were Barbadian

The first generation of american slaves were caribbean. Thats true.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:42am On Sep 05, 2013
Between 1690 and 1807, a whopping period of a 117 years or more than a whole century!, imports from the Bight of Biafra dominated the slave trade. It is no longer hidden that the Igbo slaves were more favoured than the British that's why Igbo slaves were taken especially to British or English-speaking colonies(US, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados etc). The Yoruba were favoured by the Portuguese and were shipped more to Brazil and Cuba. The above image should educate you.

I have another one for you.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:42am On Sep 05, 2013
@Frances
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT SLAVES THAT WERE IMPORTED INTO USA WEREN'T BOUGHT ONLY FROM BRITISH.

Again I HAVE SEEN THAT BOOK LONG AGO ITS "THIN".

PLEASE BRING ANOTHER SOURCE. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:45am On Sep 05, 2013
@Big Frances
YOUR GAME OF TABLES STILL SHOWS MANDE AND BANTUS DOMINATED THE SLAVE TRADE.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:46am On Sep 05, 2013
@Frances
BRING IT FUCKEN ON!!!!!!IGBO BOY!!!!!!WEAK BLOWS!!!! grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:47am On Sep 05, 2013
ITS ON

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:48am On Sep 05, 2013
You keep pasting facts which I never disputed. I've never underestimated the presence of other ethnicities in my posts. Being Igbo myself, I only put forward the substantial Igbo contribution. Where have I said that Igbo people dominated African Americans? Moreover, Igbo people tended to concentrate more in certain areas esp US, Jamaica, Barbados, St. Kittles, Trinidad and Tobago, etc, with sprinkles scattered all over the remaining areas. In Brazil where Yourba slave were the second largest, after the Kongo, the Igbo/Ibibio group came third.

Clearly, you have no case. And I don't peddle myself fabricating lies. I deal with the truth.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:48am On Sep 05, 2013
^^^^^^This is INCOMPLETE THOUGH. cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:51am On Sep 05, 2013
Everyone knws MOZAMBIQUE WAS 3RD IN BRAZIL AFTER ANGOLA-KONGO,YORUBAS. grin grin grin

ANOTHER IGBO LIE. FUCKEN LIE THE WORLD IS LAUGHIN AT THIS CLEAR LIE.
By Frances
In Brazil where Yourba slave were the second largest, after the Kongo, the Igbo/Ibibio group came third

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: @Frances
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT SLAVES THAT WERE IMPORTED INTO USA WEREN'T BOUGHT ONLY FROM BRITISH. grin grin grin

I wasnt going to say anything...initially but you have a great point. Lol the slave trade was already over 100 yrs old by the time the british got involved....the ppl of the iberian peninsula started it and the choice of slaves back then were...KONGOLESE. lol

#dayum.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:53am On Sep 05, 2013
@Frances
BY DR KEVIN ROBERTS
READ 419ER
DEEP SOUTH(South Carolina/Georgia and Louisiana/Mississippi)
1st slaves imported into SC were Barbadian slaves of Ghanaian origin, then SENEGAMBIANS and then the BANTUS came in big numbers and between 1670-1730 70% of South Carolina slaves were of Angola Congo origin. Hence Stono rebellion in 1739 grin grin grin

LOUSIANA/MISSIPPI
1st slaves were SENEGAMBIANS and were later OUT NUMBERED by BANTUS of Angola/congo.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/etd/d/2003/robertskd036/robertskd036.pdf
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:56am On Sep 05, 2013
@Kails
FIRST AFRICAN SLAVES IMPORTED INTO VIRGINIA WERE FROM ANGOLA-CONGO REGION UNTIL MID 1700S THEN CHANGED. FIRST GENERATION OF AFRO VIRGINIANS WERE ANGOLANS. THESE SLAVES WERE BOUGHT BY ENGLISH SLAVERS FROM PORTUGESE.

IN NEW AMSTERDAM/NEW YORK
1ST AFRICAN POPULATION HERE WERE ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES IMPORTED BY DUTCH.
grin grin grin grin

*Kails*:

I wasnt going to say anything...initially but you have a great point. Lol the slave trade was already over 100 yrs old by the time the british got involved....the ppl of the iberian peninsula started it and the choice of slaves back then were...KONGOLESE. lol

#dayum.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 05, 2013
Mozambique is largely ignored. They sent a lot of slaves too.
I am glad someone else finally knows about the south east african contribution to the new world. In fact jamaicans also have ancestry in madagascar lmao. I kid you not.

And no slaves were concentrated anywhere...in,the caribbeans esp. Each island was a market. A slave in hispanola could easily end up in antigua, a slave from barbuda could easily end up in cuba etc etc. also many slaves were killed, raped, or died of starvation which also affected our gene pool/history.

We are mutts mayne.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:59am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: @Frances
BRING IT FUCKEN ON!!!!!!IGBO BOY!!!!!!WEAK BLOWS!!!! grin grin

Yea. A proud Igbo boy for that matter.

Lolz. Louisiana and South Carolina seems to be your only strength. You keep pasting and pasting facts about those two states only. Why don't you belittle the Igbo presence in Virginia and Maryland as well?

Igbo slaves were more concentrated in Virginia, Maryland and Kentucky, yet they were also present in lesser numbers in other states too. tongue

I'm well-versed in the slave trade issue. I'm currently using my phone now and I don't have much sources here. I'll be home in a few hours where I'll switch to my laptop and I'll inundate you with proven facts. wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: @Kails
FIRST AFRICAN SLAVES IMPORTED INTO VIRGINIA WERE FROM ANGOLA-CONGO REGION UNTIL MID 1700S THEN CHANGED. FIRST GENERATION OF AFRO VIRGINIANS WERE ANGOLANS. THESE SLAVES WERE BOUGHT BY ENGLISH SLAVERS FROM PORTUGESE.

IN NEW AMSTERDAM/NEW YORK
1ST AFRICAN POPULATION HERE WERE ANGOLA-CONGO SLAVES IMPORTED BY DUTCH.
grin grin grin grin

True. Let me correct my initial statement...the first american slaves twere caribbean and natives of angola. Though eventually those taken directly from africa much later, would dominate.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 11:59am On Sep 05, 2013
@Frances

HERES A LIST OF AFRICAN SLAVES REGIONS IMPORTED INTO US. grin grin

[b]READING IS GOOD 419ER.

PLEASE VISIT HARVARD UNIVERISTY "HISTORY SECTION" YOU WILL FIND THIS F.A.C.T.

Dr. David Eltis TAST (Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade) Database shows us that of the approx 500,000 enslaved Africans brought to the States that we are only able to document the origins of 388,359 enslaved Africans of that the number of enslaved Africans brought to the States from the area called Nigeria today is around 20% this included (Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra). This number of documented enslaved Africans is up from the 317,748 that were documented in the Dubois Database where the Bight of Biafra accounted from 18.6% of enslaved Africans brought to the States.

African slaves imported to US broken down
1670-1810
UPPER COLONIES
NY/BOSTON
1st African slaves imported were from ANGOLA, the colonisers later brought more Africans from Senegambia and gold coast.
Imported mainly Greater Senagambians and Gold coast Akans.

VIRGINIA
1st African slaves imported were from ANGOLA landed in JAMESTOWN in 1619, the colonisers later brought more West Africans from Biafra,Senegambia,gold coast.

Bight of Biafra 38% most females, men were deemed LAZY AND SUICIDAL.
Greater Senegambia/Mandes 26,5%
Angola-Congo/Bantus 20%
Gold Coast/Akans 13%
Mozambique 1,5%
Bight of Benin 0.5%

SOUTH CAROLINA/GEORGIA
Greater Senegambia/Mandes 43%
Angola Congo/Bantus 40%
Gold coast/Akans 12%
Bight of Biafra 3%
Mozambique 2%

LOUSIANA/MISSISSIPPI
Angola-Congo 35.6% overall in 1820.
Greater Senegambia 30% overall
Bight of Benin 25%
Bight of Biafra 6%
Mozambique 3%

THIS INFO WAS TABLED TO DOUGLAS CHAMBERS AFTER READING THESE HE ADMITTED THAT HE OVERLOOKED THE PLIGHT OF BANTUS AND MANDES.

MEDASE IGBOS[/b]
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ok, I've been followwing this thread for a while now. Maybe, its time I said something. grin

I think this whole picture of igbos jumping off ships and killing themselves is overstretched. Yes, the tendency to commit suicide was markedly higher among them than among other African ethnicities in the Americas. But y'all make it sound like all of 'em (or most of 'em) took their lives rather than be slaves. That's wrong. If it were so, one would wonder why the white slave-dealers kept buying large numbers of Igbo slaves. Were they (the white folks) that stupid? For most of the 19th century, Bonny was one of the busiest slave ports in Africa, and most of the slaves sold there were Igbos. So those Igbos were all jumping off ships and killing themselves, and the slave masters kept coming to Bonny to buy more? Does that even make sense?

The story of the slave trade is complex. There were places Igbo slaves were preferred.Like Virginia and Maryland. The vast majority of slaves who ended up in such places were Igbo. There were also places were the Igbos were not liked. Like the Carolinas and Georgia. So the Igbos who went there were few.

The idea that Igbos were lazy is an odd one. undecided. The truth is that the Igbos were not used to the harsh and inhuman plantation system; nothing in their homeland prepared them for the brutality of plantation farming. That is not laziness. The planters of Virginia didn't treat their slaves as badly as planters in the Carolinas, and that explains partly why Virginia prospered with a slave population that was largely Igbo.

Let's not forget that Igbos were in very high demand as domestic slaves and house servants because of their loyalty, utility, and because they were hardworking.

Igbo women were also valued highly because they were hardy, and because they were believed to be very fertile. Planters bought a higher number of Igbo and Wolof women than women from any other ethnicity, and then interbred them with men of other ethnic groups.

The majority of African-Americans most probably have Igbo maternal ancestry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 12:03pm On Sep 05, 2013
@Frances
IN JAMAICA BIAFRA MADE 33% WHILE GOLD COAST 28%. RECENT DNA STUDIES SHOW AFRO JAMAICANS HAVE 16% IGBO DNA WHILE 40% IS AKAN. grin grin grin

WILL BRING THE LINK OF THIS STUDY. Note:most Biafran slaves were FEMALES AND WERE SHAGGED BY OTHER GROUPS LIKE MANDES,AKANS,BANTUS TILL THEY WASHED OFF IGBONESS.
grin grin shocked shocked shocked

Like in JAMAICAS CASE. grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2013
@Radiollo
Igbo womens precence was heavy in VA where they mated HEAVITY WITH AKANS,MANDES,BANTUS.

but very few in LOW COUNTRY, where BANTU AND MANDE women dominated.

I have a book on the role of AFRICAN SLAVE WOMEN ROLE IN SLAVE POPULATION.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.