Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (113611 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 6:04am On Oct 25, 2013
AnOlderAmerican, please be careful of displaying any content that may be personal. This includes pictures as well. Pictures can be distributed online rather easily.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 7:21am On Oct 25, 2013
@AnOlderAmerican,

Please ignore him. Don't engage in further battles with him, ok?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by EEngineer1(m): 9:12am On Oct 25, 2013
Two nigerians ganging up against me to protect an American, imagine two moderators taking sides with a foreign entity to bash a constant forum user. This scenario can be seen in our government today and in many african societies, u guys are blind to his insults to me but hastily rush to condemn me. As for the older American, it will be my pleasure not to engage u again. I rest my case
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Wulfruna(f): 9:26am On Oct 25, 2013
Bro... Don't play the Nigerian solidarity card. We read your comments. They reek of sarcasm. You really weren't expecting reasonable Nigerians to have your back, were you?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Fulaman198(m): 9:32am On Oct 25, 2013
E-Engineer:
Two nigerians ganging up against me to protect an American, imagine two moderators taking sides with a foreign entity to bash a constant forum user. This scenario can be seen in our government today and in many african societies, u guys are blind to his insults to me but hastily rush to condemn me. As for the older American, it will be my pleasure not to engage u again. I rest my case

E-Engineer it is nothing to do with that, it is more to do with your tone and how you address people. In our culture, this African culture we are supposed to have respect for our olders no matter where they are from. But you are disrespecting an older man. I know your parents raised you well, Nigerian parents instill in our brains to always respect the elders. Why do you use such harsh intonations to address him? There are other ways to go about it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by RedEboe(m): 8:10pm On Dec 21, 2013
Here's inviting all true Igbo sons and daughters to come support this new Igbo television project.

Watch trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLt5Y7QoKTc

Don't just stop at watching this trailer,endeavor to support this project with donations,sponsorships and above all,prayers.

LIKE US on Facebook here: http:///1huh7lq

Igbo Mmammanu o!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:41pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by BlackLeopard(m): 11:45am On Aug 27, 2014
Don't know I heard dat story as 'lazy, suicidal, an dumb'

The way I been hearin' it was 'not gonna work for assholes, free-spirited, an' smart as Bleep not workin' for slavers as dem slavers ask' grin

But yeah, stats to the points.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by benELOHIM7(m): 3:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
did i hear u say the yoruba man is lenient and peaceful. oh he was peaceful enough to have sold off my grand dad's buildings in lagos after the war. lazy lots angry

The Hate is between Igbos and Yorubas, to be honest.

Same thing should be asked of the Igbos . . . .why do they hate Yorubas so much?

This continues to be a mystery to me. I came on NL looking to learn about a NIGERIAN culture, but was disappointing by the numerous hate-filled posts made by Igbos about the Yorubas. It makes no sense at all that even tho the Yorubas are very lenient and peaceful people, they acculturate easily and allow millions of Igbos in their land without violence (unless forced to), yet the Igbos still despise Yorubas.

Numerous threads discussing the unimportant issues lsuch as "Why do Yorubas wear Scarf" or "Why are the Yorubas dark-skinned" continues to litter the Racism adn Tribalism section. Igbos cannot continue to make "Igbo" topics threads  filled with hateful replies in context of the Yorubas  and expects the Yorubas to not reply. It's simply not done. There has never been a thread where the topics circulates around Igbos where Yorubas were not discussed.

Why so much hate towards the Yorubas? Anytime this section calms down. . . . another Igbo tries to "accentuate" the hate that the "Yorubas have for Igbos" by creating anti-Yoruba threads. . . . yet, he/she (with multiple IDs) expects the Yorubas not to defend themselves. Simply not done.

Please what can the Yorubas do to stop this hate? We're peace-loving people that tries so often to focus on our goals and success. This generation of Yorubas want to move forward, but the Igbos (because of their lost in the Nigerian-Civil war) continues to perpetuate their resentments towards the Yorubas.

Let's live and thrive.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Mwenyi: 10:37am On Oct 14, 2014
Tesiday:

Actually, there is no hate against Igbo people. Others are only concious of their stereotypes or traits..... Like they are greedy, quick to call other peoples property their eg Land because they have settled there for some time. When allowed to do business and thrive in other ethnic area, they call their host lazy, they are particularly arrogant- humility is what they don't really have. In Nigeria they are known to cry foul first and accuse others of any misfortune even though this affects all the tribes that makes up the country.
E.g Boko Haram menace is a crisis in the North that claims lives of all the groups in the country, even the northen people who many believed orchestrated the crisis but its the Igbo that will shout of the Fed Govt of trying to extinct Igbo race by not doing more. The Civil war that Nigeria fought againt Biafra, Igbo groups are still known to be demanding Billions of Naira as reparation, after 4 decades.
This in my own knowledge is what I suspect is why other tribe keep a watchful eye on them and that they call hatred and I think they always bring that upon themselves by their public speech. These are my personal opinion, is stand to be corrected.

There is a tribe like that in every African country. LOL! There Baganda in Uganda are the most successful and arrogant tribe. They believe rest of the country is conspiring against them. Intent on destroying them. They are quite hated and no one wants to entrust them with power. The rest of the tribes work together to keep them in their place by clipping the feathers on the wings so to speak. They tried to break away from Uganda too. The central gov't had to crashed them. In Kenya they have the kikuyu. The largest and most successful tribe. They are equally arrogant. They are found in every corner of the country buying up land. They are hard working and gifted businessmen.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Mwenyi: 7:22am On Oct 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

The same phenomenon has also been observed by other african americans alike who also say that Igbo people look more like African Americans more than any other West African tribe. I did not say here that AAs are mostly Igbo. But going by what Dr. Douglas Chambers concluded in his work that 'At least 60% of African Americans are likely to have at least 1 Igbo ancestor in their history', his conclusion may not be far from the truth.

Below are pictures of 2 Igbo guys who could easily pass off as African Americans. The African Americans observed very well.

I have heard the same thing. Question is how come igbos look like(some can fit in with AA) like AA who are mixed with white and what not? Are some igbos mixed with non african? Did some european slave traders have their way with igbo women and knocked them up?

How can unmixed west african have european eyes
http://www.mobo.com/sites/default/files/images/news/lemar.jpg

This is typical west african
http://liveofofo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ngozi-okonjo-iweala-300x360.jpg
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 2:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
Mwenyi:

I have heard the same thing. Question is how come igbos look like(some can fit in with AA) like AA who are mixed with white and what not? Are some igbos mixed with non african? Did some european slave traders have their way with igbo women and knocked them up?

How can unmixed west african have european eyes
http://www.mobo.com/sites/default/files/images/news/lemar.jpg

This is typical west african
http://liveofofo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ngozi-okonjo-iweala-300x360.jpg

During the slave trade era, slave masters purchasing slaves on the bight of bonny hardly made it into the Igbo hinterland. They dealt directly with the African slave dealers at Opobo and Calabar(non-Igbo communities along the coastline). The modus operandi of the Igbo slave trade was thus: the slaves were captured from several Igbo villages in the hinterland and transported to the coastline citites mentioned before for sale. Very few white slave traders, if any, had direct contact with the Igbo hinterland.

Owing to the hinterland nature of Igboland and very few cases of direct exposure of the natives to the white slave traders, interracial relationships between Igbo women and white slave traders on the Igbo hinterland were infinitesimally minimal, if any, and are yet to be documented. This rules out the option of part European ancestry for some Igbo, well, except those borne out of recent interracial marriages.

Not all AAs have European ancestry. In most cases, you can tell if an AA has substantial European ancestry(very light skin color) or not. In some cases you can't but they do. However, the percentage of those having paternal European ancestry originating during the slave trade era(not recent interracial marriages between blacks and whites) will not be more than 20%, in my own estimate. Very many AAs are still without European ancestry, i.e 'pure africans'. When people compare Igbo looks and AA looks the comparison is usually between Igbos and the non-European looking AAs.

As to the picture of Okonjo Iweala you posted, yes she's African. However, dark skin doesn't automatically define an african. I could post for you a thousand and one pictures of Africans(Yoruba, Fulani, Igbo) who aren't dark skinned. Many Igbos, for example, are light-skinned naturally that you wouldn't think of them as Africans(using your yardstick of measuring an African by dark skin color) if you met them outside the shores of Africa. The Igbo population is made up of both dark skin and light skin individuals in a ratio I'd comfortably put at 70:30. The light-skin phenomenon of Igbos was well-documented during the slave trade era (a best pointer to this documented phenomenon is the 'red eboe' phrase referring to light-skin Igbos during the slave trade) which indicates it had always been a part of the population pre-atlantic slave trade era. Remember, these people mentioned are also Africans.

Lemar isn't the first person I've seen having grey/hazel eyes. During my undergraduate days in UNN, I came across a nice light-skinned middle-aged woman who was a manual typist from Nsukka who had the same hazel/grey coloured eyes. Such people exist in Africa but are very few. The Igbos refer to the eyes as 'anya buusu' in Igbo. The causative gene for the eyes is fiercely recessive in nature and only shows up when two heterogeneous people having the gene come together, of which the chances of having an individual born with it in Africa are slim.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by fightforchange1(f): 11:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
bigfrancis21:

During the slave trade era, slave masters purchasing slaves on the bight of bonny hardly made it into the Igbo hinterland. They dealt directly with the African slave dealers at Opobo and Calabar(non-Igbo communities along the coastline). The modus operandi of the Igbo slave trade was thus: the slaves were captured from several Igbo villages in the hinterland and transported to the coastline citites mentioned before for sale. Very few white slave traders, if any, had direct contact with the Igbo hinterland.

Owing to the hinterland nature of Igboland and very few cases of direct exposure of the natives to the white slave traders, interracial relationships between Igbo women and white slave traders on the Igbo hinterland were infinitesimally minimal, if any, and are yet to be documented. This rules out the option of part European ancestry for some Igbo, well, except those borne out of recent interracial marriages.

Not all AAs have European ancestry. In most cases, you can tell if an AA has substantial European ancestry(very light skin color) or not. In some cases you can't but they do. However, the percentage of those having paternal European ancestry originating during the slave trade era(not recent interracial marriages between blacks and whites) will not be more than 20%, in my own estimate. Very many AAs are still without European ancestry, i.e 'pure africans'. When people compare Igbo looks and AA looks the comparison is usually between Igbos and the non-European looking AAs.

As to the picture of Okonjo Iweala you posted, yes she's African. However, dark skin doesn't automatically define an african. I could post for you a thousand and one pictures of Africans(Yoruba, Fulani, Igbo) who aren't dark skinned. Many Igbos, for example, are light-skinned naturally that you wouldn't think of them as Africans(using your yardstick of measuring an African by dark skin color) if you met them outside the shores of Africa. The Igbo population is made up of both dark skin and light skin individuals in a ratio I'd comfortably put at 70:30. The light-skin phenomenon of Igbos was well-documented during the slave trade era (a best pointer to this documented phenomenon is the 'red eboe' phrase referring to light-skin Igbos during the slave trade) which indicates it had always been a part of the population pre-atlantic slave trade era. Remember, these people mentioned are also Africans.

Lemar isn't the first person I've seen having grey/hazel eyes. During my undergraduate days in UNN, I came across a nice light-skinned middle-aged woman who was a manual typist from Nsukka who had the same hazel/grey coloured eyes. Such people exist in Africa but are very few. The Igbos refer to the eyes as 'anya buusu' in Igbo. The causative gene for the eyes is fiercely recessive in nature and only shows up when two heterogeneous people having the gene come together, of which the chances of having an individual born with it in Africa are slim.

calling that event slave trade isnt accurate...its should b given the moral weight it deserves...
call it HOLOCAUST!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Mwenyi: 4:22am On Oct 17, 2014
Jayvarley:

Yes I remember reading about that family in the newspaper.

IGBO seem to posses certain genetics for light skin.

Generally though from my observation Nigeria produces more light skinned people than Ghana for instance, even though there is not any significant admixture among those groups.

No matter how dark skinned a Nigerian/IGBO person maybe, they seem to carry the genetics for light skin that will JUMP OUT in any generation it chooses to!

I believe igbo are mixed somewhere along they way they might not be aware of it. I met this nigeria igbo dude, he was thick(not fat) like AA types with caucasian body type and complexion and hair I have seen on people mixed with darker indians in my country. Could their claim to middle eastern origin have some truth to it? Then have you some with hazel eyes and a couple giving birth to a white kid. And from what I have seen light skin igbos do not often have typical west african features like Okonjo anybody observed this? .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 4:42am On Oct 17, 2014
fightforchange1:

calling that event slave trade isnt accurate...its should b given the moral weight it deserves...
call it HOLOCAUST!

Holocaust is a term that refers to the wilful mass extermination, either directly or subtly, of a people of certain race, ethic group, political party etc. The slave trade wasn't aimed at mass extermination of Africans though I do agree that the extremely inhumane conditions Africans were subjected to, such as the horrible conditions of the plantations in the caribbean, or the stifling conditions of the slave ships where Africans were bound in chains like sardine and the tortuous long 3 to 6 months of the middle passage journey to the Americas they had to endure, qualify to be called holocaust intentional.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.