Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,783 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

5 Things Nigerian Current And Upcoming Artists Need To Learn From BURNA BOY. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 5 Things Nigerian Current And Upcoming Artists Need To Learn From BURNA BOY. (324 Views)

Every Upcoming Artists Need This!!! / What Artists Should Learn From Burna Boy's New Album Twice As Tall / Why Artists Need To Rethink Leaving Their Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Things Nigerian Current And Upcoming Artists Need To Learn From BURNA BOY. by Awesomeking: 3:16pm On Mar 15, 2021
In my last post, i stressed on the importance of understanding the industry and using its winds to sail your music boat.

Burna boy just became the first Nigerian to win a direct Grammy award, that is a very commendable feat, something that has eluded so many nigerian artists over the years.
Here are 5 things other nigerian artists need to learn from burna boy

1. Having a target market:
Burna understood that his target market wasn't Nigerians in nigeria, it wasn't even Nigerians in the diaspora, his target market was and has always been foreigners who listen to nigerian music hence his focus on building ties in other african countries after gaining just a little traction in nigeria, one can easily recall his numerous collaborations with south african artists not because he needed them but because he needed his name to be mentioned over there. When that was done, he moved to UK at just the right time to get on the grime train and benefit off of the grime black artists who imbibe african sounds in their projects

2. cutting all unnecessary ties :
You cant move forward if you keep pulling yourself backwards with liabilities you call loyal friends and family.
Burna boy has been onward and upwards with foreign collaborations or just his personal singles, in order to make sure that when they hear the name "burna boy", they can easily identify it as the name of the main act from Africa.

When was the last time you saw burna boy collab with an average nigerian artist just to foster friendship and gain from each others fanbase ?
Its been a while since he did anything of such sort because that sort of connections/ties isn't beneficial towards the target.
You need to know that to move forward, you need to do what you didn't do last year, collaborate with who you didn't collab with last year, stop releasing tracks with the same four rappers from abraka.

3. Give your fanbase what they want :
Burna boy fanbase isn't really Nigeria. We simply love him because they love him(that's just how powerful the American validation is on the mentality of an average African).
He knows quite well how his fanbase perceives africans and he has put a lot of effort into being just that.
You cant possibly expect to grow a fanbase and keep them together if you aren't consistent with giving them what they want or atleast even if you change, it must only make a slight difference and the result must be better than what you churned out before, you cant get popular with RnB then move to reggaeton, its not done, you will easily be forgotten.

4.Improve yourself :
The burna boy of today isn't the same as burna boy of yesterday, he has put a lot of effort into crafting himself, his brand and his music into just what is required by his target audience, this cant be done overnight, you have to put in work for years to fully achieve that aim.
As an artist, you cant stay the same, you cant constantly give the fans the same type of music over and over again and expect attention and listener's, you have to keep improving towards what your fans want at any specific time.

5. Believe in yourself:
Burna boy believed in himself from day one, and he had every right to, his music has always been better than that of the average nigeran artist, his lyricism and his tunes were always top notch, proving that he put a lot of effort into every line.
With such talent in his pocket, he knew quite well that he was above most artists even before we got to know and he let it fuel him towards greatness
You cant be talented and tolerate disrespect especially over issues concerning your talent and work
You have to stand your ground and back it up with musical perfection.

I will be making more posts soon
You can follow me here and on other platforms

Facebook - Songwriter47

Twitter- Songwriter_47

Instagram- songwriter_47

If you need help writing songs of any genre, you can contact me on any of the platforms or email me

Songwriterkadiri@yahoo.com

Re: 5 Things Nigerian Current And Upcoming Artists Need To Learn From BURNA BOY. by Kirokutz: 3:09am On Mar 16, 2021
Enjoy listening to music ? Are you a decent writer ?

We need writers for :

- Song Reviews
- Album reviews
- Upcoming Artists
- Industry News
- Hot Videos
- Playlist Curation

Direct payments, short term or long term contracts.

Interest in writing music articles DM me
Re: 5 Things Nigerian Current And Upcoming Artists Need To Learn From BURNA BOY. by Awesomeking: 12:31am On Mar 18, 2021
Kirokutz:
Enjoy listening to music ? Are you a decent writer ?

We need writers for :

- Song Reviews
- Album reviews
- Upcoming Artists
- Industry News
- Hot Videos
- Playlist Curation

Direct payments, short term or long term contracts.

Interest in writing music articles DM me
hello, i sent an email directly to your email address

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Let Your Music Be Heard / Phemzylee - Gbemisoke / Timmy Cornel Takes Top Spot On Clout Max.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.