Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:13 PM

6 Nigerian COVID-19 Survivors Share What They Want People To Know - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Nigerian COVID-19 Survivors Share What They Want People To Know (263 Views)

Okpaleke Doctors: 6 Nigerian Siblings Working As Medical Practitioners Go Viral / No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO / Nigerian COVID-19 Survivor Shares His Experience At Lagos Isolation Centre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Nigerian COVID-19 Survivors Share What They Want People To Know by Gray123: 2:28am On Mar 16, 2021
Nigeria has seen the second highest number of COVID-19 cases in Africa, with more than 159,000 cases and over 1,900 deaths.
With two lockdowns that have forced the country’s economy to contract into a recession, and an underfunded public health care system that has buckled under the weight of the pandemic, Nigeria needs to contain the virus and end it as soon as possible. 
Although experts have said Nigeria is under testing its 200 million-strong population — COVID-19 tests can cost as much as N50,000 ($122), which is 60% higher than the country's monthly minimum wage — many Nigerians either don’t believe there is COVID-19 in Nigeria, or think it's been blown out of proportion by authorities. 
In fact, the Kogi state governor has repeatedly denied the existence of the virus and the state has refused to test residents, reporting only five cases since the beginning of the pandemic. 
In other parts of Nigeria, people can be seen not wearing face masks or following social distancing protocols in public spaces, despite warnings from authorities and the Africa CDC on the possibility of a second wave of coronavirus in Nigeria. 
Parties are still happening in Nigeria’s commercial capital of Lagos, where more than 55,000 cases have already been reported, without any COVID-19 prevention measures in place.  
All of this is happening while the country distributes its first batch of 4 million COVID-19 vaccines — through the COVAX Facility, co-led by the World Health Organisation — as a recent spike in COVID-19 cases in Nigeria demonstrates the country’s urgent need for a coronavirus vaccine. 
This is only enough for 2 million people, which means the majority of the population have no idea if and when they will receive the vaccine. 
Mistrust in public health information concerning the COVID-19 pandemic, misinformation, and non-adherence to mask wearing and social distancing protocols are the last thing Nigeria needs. 
Global Citizen spoke to six Nigerians across different walks of life about their COVID-19 experiences, how it has affected their lives, and why they think it is important for other Nigerians to wear a mask in public and follow social distancing protocols. 
Global Citizen: Do you know how you contracted COVID-19? If yes, how?
Ademola Ogunbanjo, corporate executive: I don’t know how I caught the coronavirus for sure — I stayed home from March when we started working from home and ordered everything online. However, I suspect I may have contracted it from my steward who was going out without my knowledge at the time. I got sick in May. 
Aderinola Odugbesan-Thomas, lifestyle influencer: No, I'm not sure how I caught it, I tried to retrace my steps but couldn't figure it out.
Toke Makinwa, media personality: Thinking back now, the only activity that occurred in the last two weeks of me contracting COVID-19 was the #EndSARS movement. I think it was definitely the [protest] walk. I did have a face mask on but there were too many people and there were times I had to take off my face mask to maybe drink some water or help feed people that came out.
Denola Grey, actor and fashion consultant: I actually don’t know. I have a few theories but I was pretty much a hermit all through March when we went into lockdown and toward the end of the year. I was extremely careful but somehow I still caught it. I have a theory that it came from outside our home, but I can’t say for sure. 
Hamzat Lawal, activist: I honestly do not know how I contracted COVID-19. I was very conscious [of wearing] my face mask, ensured physical distancing, and always washed my hands but for some reason I contracted it and I really can’t say how I got it. 
Niyola, singer and songwriter: I have no idea how I contracted the virus. I travelled and was ready to return. I was following due protocol of testing before travelling when I found out I was positive.

(1) (Reply)

Are There Dentist In Nigeria That Can Medically Whiten Teeths? / High Blood Pressure Diet / Focus On Your Personal Development Efforts Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.