Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,092 members, 7,807,266 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR (1585 Views)

Differences Between A Tundra And A Hilux / Management Of Mitsubishi Motors Nigeria Swapped Roles With Junior Employees(pix) / Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 7:50am On Mar 16, 2021
If you've got a Hilux truck mechanically"dead", and you can't afford a replacement engine because of the cost for now, there's another alternative, that would take care of your needs.

A direct fitted 2TR Japanese replacement engine, costs about #1.7million naira right now in the market.

The 5VZ-FE can be perfectly swapped into any vehicle applications, including this Hilux we did some 4years ago.

There are no limitations to the pickup platforms this can be done on. Although, from our experiences, the automatic swaps, initially took us some time before we finally got it perfected. Most of the swaps though we have done, have manual transmission systems, making them a little easy compared to the automatics.

Although for this company, a cargo carrying one, the initial engine, had been bastardized from their in-house workshop, and they just didn't want to go through the hazzles of getting another engine, which could develop engine problems in the near future.

After the project, it has only been oil changes, and brake jobs, because it has been a cargo pick-up with deliveries to up North, and the Niger Delta regions.

If you want something similar, please hit me up via my contact details on my signature.

Regards,
Joseph

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 7:51am On Mar 16, 2021
Here's the Hilux pick-up truck.

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 7:54am On Mar 16, 2021
Here's a clearer front and plan view of the engine.
The parts of this engines are cheap, compared to the stock 2TR that came with this Hilux, and also durable and reliable.

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 7:55am On Mar 16, 2021
Please feel free to ask questions here. Would try my best to answer them.
Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by Automotech1(m): 8:03am On Mar 16, 2021
TRYGO:
Please feel free to ask questions here. Would try my best to answer them.
Was there any constructions done? Or its a straight swap?
Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 8:16am On Mar 16, 2021
Automotech1:

Was there any constructions done? Or its a straight swap?

Sure there were so e constructions done. For instance, the engine mounts we got, were straight from the 4Runner; transmission bellhousing was swapped with that of the 4Runner, but we did used the transmission system of the stock 2TR.

It isn't a straight swap.

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by kingreign(m): 8:21am On Mar 16, 2021
Nice work you did Bro.

Hope you also upgraded the brakes...

The brake may be quite insufficient for the new power plant and we all know that's a suicide to drive such trucks with such engines.

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 8:27am On Mar 16, 2021
kingreign:

Nice work you did Bro.

Hope you also upgraded the brakes...

The brake may be quite insufficient for the new power plant and we all know that's a suicide to drive such trucks with such engines.

Did only the suspension systems though.
I'd have to take a look at the newest version hikuxes around here, especially the ones with the SR5 and see how the brake calipers are.

Thanks for this observations sir!

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by nurey(m): 9:23am On Mar 16, 2021
TRYGO:
Here's the Hilux pick-up truck.

You are just showing us free advert without showing us how it was done, doesn't mean your secret or livelihood would be in jeopardy.

left for me, I won't patronize you because for all I care you could be a middleman taking kazeems glory or you may have done a shody job in the conversion and don't want critics to know.

my advice is for you to always be proud of yourself and task yourself in been better, because we learn everyday.

my humble opinion grin

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 9:38am On Mar 16, 2021
nurey:

You are just showing us free advert without showing us how it was done, doesn't mean your secret or livelihood would be in jeopardy.

left for me, I won't patronize you because for all I care you could be a middleman taking kazeems glory or you may have done a shody job in the conversion and don't want critics to know.

my advice is for you to always be proud of yourself and task yourself in been better, because we learn everyday.

my humble opinion grin

Yeah, you're right, I could be a middle man though. I did state in some of the article that WE, and not I abeg o! I hope you know it's not possible for only a worker to build a whole house. It maybe possible in some areas, but would take years to complete.

This build was done some years ago. Got no pictures of some of the processes right now. Lost those pictures.

To buttress further, please always read in-between the lines please.
I can never know ALL THINGS. It's not possible,and that's why this job or project was a teamwork.

Next when we do another project, we'd try and include pictures of other processes.

Any questions you have as regards the job, let me know. I'd try my best answering them.

Does this somehow answer your concerns now?

Appreciate your inputs too though.

6 Likes

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by nurey(m): 9:58am On Mar 16, 2021
TRYGO:

Yeah, you're right, I could be a middle man though. I did state in some of the article that WE, and not I abeg o! I hope you know it's not possible for only a worker to build a whole house. It maybe possible in some areas, but would take years to complete.

This build was done some years ago. Got no pictures of some of the processes right now. Lost those pictures.

To buttress further, please always read in-between the lines please.
I can never know ALL THINGS. It's not possible,and that's why this job or project was a teamwork.

Next when we do another project, we'd try and include pictures of other processes.

Any questions you have as regards the job, let me know. I'd try my best answering them.

Does this somehow answer your concerns now?

Appreciate your inputs too though.

You have always pushed the idea of rebuilding, I remember your 1GR thread for the 03 upward 4runner, is it that the 2TR can't be rebuilt or is rebuilding more expensive than fixing a 5VZ instead.

Why didn't you use the 1TR instead since the vehicle was fitted with it too.

The 5VZ was standard on the I think 98 to 2002 toyota hilux I believe if you get such specimen your other needs may be answered
Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 10:20am On Mar 16, 2021
nurey:

You have always pushed the idea of rebuilding, I remember your 1GR thread for the 03 upward 4runner, is it that the 2TR can't be rebuilt or is rebuilding more expensive than fixing a 5VZ instead.

Why didn't you use the 1TR instead since the vehicle was fitted with it too.

The 5VZ was standard on the I think 98 to 2002 toyota hilux I believe if you get such specimen your other needs may be answered

1. like I keep saying, ALL ENGINES CAN BE REBUILT NO MATTER WHAT.
If a client decides to choose such an option, I can't forcefully do otherwise. What I can only do is to present the pros and cons of all available options: replacement, rebuild, or a swap

2. Rebuilding the 2TR depends on what kind of condition the engine is in before contemplating a rebuild. If it'dbe economical, or otherwise.
There are a whole lot of things companies look at( long term solutions to such problems, durations, and not just engine replacements or rebuilds).

*what sort of businesses does the company engage in?

*do they have alot of vehicle fleets to carter for any of the options available?

*what time are they willing to sacrifice, for any of the options or alternatives presented?

*do they use their vehicles just for field trips or visits where they don't haul alot of goods?

3. The 1TR can be used in such applications, but the problem would be that of trust here.
The power/torque outputs of the 1TR can't be compared to the 2TR, or a 5VZ engine.
It's just similar to what we've with the 1ZZ and 2ZZ. Some mechanics or spare parts sellers can sell a 1TR(ZZ) engine for you, claiming to be the stock engine.

What happens when you installed the engine, and the client takes delivery of the truck, and some days later, the vehicle can't pull or carry the load it had been pulling or carrying before?

That would dent your reputation here. The client would think you've shortchanged them, and bought something of a lesser capacity.

You can only do a 1TR, only if the client agrees to that in writing, or if the vehicle usage would only be used for in town drives without much load.

4. I like the 5VZ, has got much torque too, for various applications.

Regards

1 Like

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by Inception(m): 2:08pm On Mar 16, 2021
Great job TRYGO

Would have been perfect if the installation sequence was captured.

How did you deal with the electronics(speedometer, ECU ) etc?

Is this truck a manual or an Auto?
Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 5:16pm On Mar 16, 2021
Inception:
Great job TRYGO

Would have been perfect if the installation sequence was captured.

How did you deal with the electronics(speedometer, ECU ) etc?

Is this truck a manual or an Auto?

1. Captured the installation sequences, but like I pointed out to someone that raised similar points, I got them lost in my phone (phone was flooded with water. Had to replace it).

2. As regards the speedometer, there was an electrician that was able to hack into that aspect of the job. He basically made sure the RPM, temperature gauge, oil pressure switch, and even the obd 2 were working. I do not personally do that part of the job.

3. As for the ECU, we didn't use the stock ECU, but the complete wiring harnesses, and ECU, of the 4Runner was what was used; with the key 4runner key.

4. This is a manual.
The first one we ever did, was an automatic. It took sometime to get the transmission electronics part going.

Regards,
Joseph
Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by pauleman: 2:28pm On Jan 22, 2023
Isit possible to rebuild a noisy 1GR 4runner Engine and still have the same torque and traction?
Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by TRYGO(m): 8:01am On Jan 24, 2023
@pauleman. It depends on what sort of noise you are talking about here.

I have rebuilt those 1GR 4Runner engines severally; and the torque and traction still intact.

In my experinces rebuilding such engines, thee noises i have often noticed, are always coming up from the high mileage 1GRs that have undergone serious engine tear and wear in the valve trains(camshafts, valve shims, etc).

In such cases, a rebuild wont fix a worn out valve train noise due to high mileage problems.

I would like to inspect the vehicle, and possibly listen to the noise, to ascertain if the noise you were referring to is not a KNOCKING KIND OF ENGINE NOISE.

Figure below shows the valve train of a 2008 corolla 2ZR engine. I depicted this as an example to you what a valve train looks like.

Hope this helps.

Re: SWAPPED A 5vz(3400cc) 2002 4runner Engine In To A Hilux Pick-up 2TR by MOTIONTECH(m): 11:33pm On Aug 15, 2023
How did you synchronize other ecus with the current engine?

(1) (Reply)

How To Verify The Authenticity Of Nigerian Used Car Papers / The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread / History Made: For the First time ever, A Driverless Car beat a Race Car Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.