Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom (20790 Views)

Wife Infects Husband With HIV Most Wicked Way Possible / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! / Nigerian Doctor Who Treated Victim Infected With Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 15, 2011
even my friend his wife was pregnant for her surprise men were asking her out even tho the can see her belly like a foot ball

they do do that sha- very surprising.

it might be a black thing though, not necessarily limited to nigeria.

i say this because i saw something like that on girlfriends.

lord have mercy.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by AkoEja: 1:21pm On Apr 16, 2011
Alitheia, I am apalled by your statement, and you claim to be a doctor working engaged in HIV management. How can you say this, and I quote
Don't be silly. I guess you probably just googled some facts about HIV. FYI: I work with HIV patients as a doctor in an ambulatory care center in Nigeria. So don't think you can play those games with me. Go find out the natural history of HIV infection.

Quote from: Ileke-IdI on April 14, 2011, 04:12 AM
Ironic.

Actually HIV does show. It does not show for the first few months, even years of conceiving the viral fluids (blood, sperm, etc).

How can somebody conceive a virus infection? Is it a baby? Brush up on your English, if you are a doctor, then you should be able to speak and write the language you learnt Medicine in! The word to Use are , , after acquiring; after contracting the disease , or , , after infection with the virus.

The facts are :
A HIV positive person have the virus in their body, and may not show signs of illness for some time - months or years. They can transmit it to another person during this time. So, that stunning girl or boy you are infatuated with may be HIV positive. The only way to know is through a blood test.

A person with AIDS is HIV positive and additionally has symptoms of the illness - fever, diarrhoea, weight loss etc .
This is the way you should have explained it if truly you are a doctor working with HIV-positive patients
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Carlosein(m): 2:16pm On Apr 16, 2011
^^and your point is?

of all the salient points he made above, you chose to ridicule his choice of words

ileke, kobo and ?(newly added) AkoEja, make una go siddon jare. you've been trounced.
be gracious enough to acknowledge same.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by skelemba: 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2011
Follow @mypages10 on twitter for your news update and hottest entertainment gist.
www.twitter.com/mypages10
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 3:52pm On Apr 16, 2011
AkoEja:

Alitheia, I am apalled by your statement, and you claim to be a doctor working engaged in HIV management. . .How can you say this, and I quote
How can somebody conceive a virus infection?
^Do not annoy me. Can't you read? You are misattributing Ileke-Idi's word's to me: This is what she said:
Ileke-IdI:

Ironic.

Actually HIV does show. It does not show for the first few months, even years of conceiving the viral fluids (blood, sperm, etc).

I was quoting her words in my reply. If you cannot make the distinction between my words and Ileke Idi's words; how are you able to follow the discourse on this thread?
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Obiagu1(m): 5:24pm On Apr 16, 2011
The news is not true . . . . I have been to AkwaIbom and the people there seem healthy and sound. Anyone who has not been to Akwa Ibom in recent years ought to go back there to see. This report is not true at all. smiley

I think the person that made this statement has an IQ of 70 maximum. What are shame sad
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Carlosein(m): 9:10pm On Apr 16, 2011
aletheia:

I was quoting her words in my reply. If you cannot make the distinction between my words and Ileke Idi's words; how are you able to follow the discourse on this thread?

Leave them be.
anyone with an iota of grey matter can distinguish between your posts (sensible) and their (senseless) ramblings.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by MaiSuya(m): 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2011
While the figures may look shocking, it important to note that the prevalence has actually been on the decline now for some years now, at least based  the yearly sentinel surveys. Though I should add the figures are obtained mainly from ANC clinics were expectant mothers must compulsorily undergo antiretroviral screening.

Benue State, in particular the TIV speaking area of the state, has a prevalence of about 13%. A particular town known as Wannune according the last sentinel survey has a prevalence of about 20%, that's one in every five persons.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 10:53pm On Apr 16, 2011
^-- What is it about Tiv culture that makes their rates so high?

And where are these sentinel surveys available online?
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by ericdry: 1:06pm On Apr 17, 2011
i'd like to suggest that kobo and ileke bow out in shame, delete their NL I.D's and register afresh,

after this thread, i wouldn't want to be associated with those names,
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by MaiSuya(m): 9:50pm On Apr 17, 2011
@ekt, you can get the online copy (PDF) from NACA's website. http://naca.gov.ng/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/lang,en/

As for the aspect of the TIV culture that predisposes them to the virus, well, I'm not too sure I have the answer. Wild perceptions I had had about the average TIV man/woman as sexually loose have turned to be false. For instance before I came to Benue, I had heard about the bizaare behavior of the TIV man using his wife to welcome a visitor, or that the man, as a sign of appreciation to a friend could offer him his wife for the night. All these have been found to be false. . .well mostly false.

They do love sex, but not any more than most Nigerians.

my conclusion is that perhaps they, more than any other ethnic group in Nigeria, lived in denial about the virus existence for much too long.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 10:09pm On Apr 17, 2011
^-- Interesting. They break it down by state/zone too.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by aletheia(m): 10:23pm On Apr 17, 2011
^

Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by tonero6: 12:18am On Apr 18, 2011
u have read it all, have u inform ur brothers and sisters. dat why get is geting worst
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by pleep(m): 2:45am On Apr 18, 2011
Does that graph mean one in ten people in akwa Ibom has AIDs!!?! undecided last time i was in Nigeria i got my hair cut at a barber shop, and the razor gave me a cut,  and to make things worse i'm pretty sure the guy who cut my hair was gay.  undecided
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 18, 2011
With all due respect to NL members, my story is based on my experience,

I have neighbour who is positive to that substance,

He confided in me and I have it a secret to this day. I had to go to the medical centers to ask for basic medical attention. I met a nurse whom I got talking with, and to my surprise after she had said the patient would have to be in person but they wont attend to the person because the center is no longer receiving HIV patients, out of curiosity in my own way I questioned how many persons she thinks in my state of Akwa Ibom are infected,

-  She said this hospital (Federal Medical Center, Uyo) has its register filled with Hiv infected persons to the tune of 22,000 persons, and that they come in batches to receive their pills every blessed week.

- Secondly that the state second most biggest hospital St Luke Anua, has 20,000 HIV infected victims on their list and that they will close registration in 2 months, these happened last year Sept.

- The medical center at Itukmbang is filled up and closed for further registrations,

- She mentioned two newly opened centers which are still receiving HIV patients but their capacity to take large numbers up to 5,000 each is very doubt-able.

While I was there I saw young pretty girls who came to seek medical attention and drugs for survival, the margin between the male and female is enormous, and I felt infected benevolent males especially politicians where responsible for the spread of the Virus to teenage girls,

I wept in my heart, I bleeded heavily with passion for change, I had to leave the Federal Medical center and headed straight to Anua, behold on getting there the story was same, I was even forced to do a test, free of charge, the nurses there call it malaria, sooner or later health care centers in the state won't be able to cater for increasing numbers of HIV patients,

And that is what happened recently in Uganda when over a thousand HIV patients couldn't access the anti-retroviral drug because they had shortage in supply, one other source claim the government couldn't purchase it b/c of lack of funds, but I thought the drugs where free!

People try not to see the world with bare eyes!

Get Knowledge get understanding,
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by allnewsng(m): 3:00pm On Apr 19, 2011
this sickness be crazy ohhh, I want to be a billionaire so i can fund finding the cure, What do you think
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by Afanna1: 12:18am On Apr 28, 2011
Hummmmmm
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by kandiikane(m): 1:09am On Apr 28, 2011
Its not about the money@allnewsng.

The virus can easily mutate that is why there is no vaccine or actual cure. They need time and patience to find the right cancer for the disease so it can counteract any mutation.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by pleep(m): 4:23am On Apr 28, 2011
^^^ I think they should stop trying honestly, and research drugs that stop it from spreading. HIV is perhaps one of the easiest deseases to eradicate, but all the focus is on trying to find a cure. All people have to do is save sex for marriage, if they can't do that just wear a damn rubber. If ppl just continue like this another aids will pop up the next time someone bangs a monkey. ( Aids Actually came from a polio vaccine that used roobus? monkey blood -this is proven)
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by pleep(m): 4:38am On Apr 28, 2011
Simple way to eradicate aids in Awka Ibom:
first implement a state Id card system required for employment. Before receiving the card each applicant must take a blood test, if they have HIV it is printed on the back of their card. Only the front will be presented for employment. These would also be given to newborns and school children.

2. It is illegal for anyone with Aids to have intercourse with someone who is not infected, knowingly or unknowingly. Violation of this law results in an arbitrarily steep fine variable to income, castration or imprisonment.

3. If two unmarried people engage in intercourse it is illegal if a condom is not used. Any man who can be proven to have had sex with a woman with no condom faces an arbitrary fine or jail. If he has aids the punishment increases. This law requires voluntary participation, note however, if a condom is not used, and the woman can prove it, she can deckle a lawsuit against the man regardless of the fact that she consented to unprotected sex, and 50% of the fine will go to her. This creates incentive for the man to use protection.

4. Two unmarried people who wish to engage in intercourse must present to back of their ID card to each other which shows the result of their blood test. A failure to do this on the part of the man constitutes rap,e This law would be hard to enforce, but the likelyhood of volunteerism is high because it actively protects the individual from Aids.

5. Finally establish a database of all the people in the state who live with aids, provide them with drugs that prevent them from passing the illness to their children( at the expense of the WHO) And importantly provide them a medium to contact each other, so they can marry and live normal lives.

The implementation of the laws would cause the number of people living with aids to fall below to replacement level. But more importantly it would change the reckless attitudes about sex that put Akwa ibom in this position.   Thanks for reading. If you like this plan and want to copy it or reproduce it, please cite it to "pleep on nairaland.com" haha
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by segzicres(m): 11:18am On Apr 28, 2011
Men those pll are scary especially their gurls. I remember one time threatened to kill me in bed! No wonder
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by MaiSuya(m): 12:37pm On Apr 28, 2011
segzi cres:

Men those pll are scary especially their gurls. I remember one time threatened to [b]kill me [/b]in bed! No wonder

LOL! I hope she didn't succeed ! tongue
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by MaiSuya(m): 1:16pm On Apr 28, 2011
first implement a state Id card system required for employment. Before receiving the card each applicant must take a blood test, if they have HIV it is printed on the back of their card. Only the front will be presented for employment. These would also be given to newborns and school children.

first rule of HIV/AIDS treatment/prevention: Avoid all forms of stigmatization, which is what the procedure you are advocating will only serve to foster. carrying an ID card that indicates one is positive?? Come on!!!

2. It is illegal for anyone with Aids to have intercourse with someone who is not infected, knowingly or unknowingly. Violation of this law results in an arbitrarily steep fine variable to income, castration or imprisonment.

unknowingly, possibly. Indeed some countries eg Singapore have a similar law in place.  as for 'knowingly', I totally disagree. discordant couples (one positive, the other negative) can [i]knowingly [/i]choose to have children who will turn out negative as long as they take the proper precautions.

3. If two unmarried people engage in intercourse it is illegal if a condom is not used. Any man who can be proven to have had sex with a woman with no condom faces an arbitrary fine or jail. If he has aids the punishment increases. This law requires voluntary participation, note however, if a condom is not used, and the woman can prove it, she can deckle a lawsuit against the man regardless of the fact that she consented to unprotected sex, and 50% of the fine will go to her. This creates incentive for the man to use protection.

intertesting. . .

4. Two unmarried people who wish to engage in intercourse must present to back of their ID card to each other which shows the result of their blood test. A failure to do this on the part of the man constitutes rap,e This law would be hard to enforce, but the likelyhood of volunteerism is high because it actively protects the individual from Aids.

like you said this will be difficult to enforce, moreover I have issues with the ID card thingy. . .

5. Finally establish a database of all the people in the state who live with aids, provide them with drugs that prevent them from passing the illness to their children( at the expense of the WHO) And importantly provide them a medium to contact each other, so they can marry and live normal lives.

this already exits at most treatment facilities.

@ pleep, not bed ideas. . .the only problem I have is with the punitive measure that follow each of your recommendations.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by kandiikane(m): 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2011
pleep:

^^^ I think they should stop trying honestly, and research drugs that stop it from spreading.  HIV is perhaps one of the easiest deseases to eradicate, but all the focus is on trying to find a cure. All people have to do is save sex for marriage, if they can't do that just wear a damn rubber. If ppl just continue like this another aids will pop up the next time someone bangs a monkey. ( Aids Actually came from a polio vaccine that used roobus? monkey blood -this is proven)
Really, do you have the link? I did not know that, lol
Is it Aids or HIV?
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by pleep(m): 9:42pm On Apr 28, 2011
kandiikane:

Really, do you have the link? I did not know that, lol
Is it Aids or HIV?

yea, ill get back to you later.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by pleep(m): 9:57pm On Apr 28, 2011
thanks for reading!

first rule of HIV/AIDS treatment/prevention: Avoid all forms of stigmatization, which is what the procedure you are advocating will only serve to foster. carrying an ID card that indicates one is positive?? Come on!!!
That is true unfortunatly, but most people who are infected do not think they have aids and would go to the blood test assuming they would test negative. And the fear of aids would prevent much opposition to the idea.
However, i do understand how difficult it would be to live with that on your I.D card, that is why it would be printed on the back [/i]of the card, in a wallet no one would even see it. and sometimes you have to do a little unpleasantness when working for the greater good.

like you said this will be difficult to enforce, moreover I have issues with the ID card thingy. . .
If you were the type of person who had sex with strangers, and u knew they had an I.D card that told weather or not they had aids i would assume you would force them to show it to you before proceding, and if they refuse you would be almost certain they had aids and thus refuse to sleep with that individial.
hopefully the law would enforce its self in that way.

unknowingly, possibly. Indeed some countries eg Singapore have a similar law in place. as for 'knowingly', I totally disagree. discordant couples (one positive, the other negative) can knowingly choose to have children who will turn out negative as long as they take the proper precautions.

your right here. That would be the first amendment! a clause that exempts fully knowelgeable couples.

But what i really meant with this law is that an aids infected person [i]even if they dont know they have aids
sleeps with a non- infected person will be punished. This is to create incentive for people to get tested.
pleep, not bed ideas. . .the only problem I have is with the punitive measure that follow each of your recommendations.
Yes the punishments are quite harsh, but in a perfect situation they would be variable to income and circumstances.
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by BabaTony: 3:16pm On May 25, 2011
i see benue, nassarawa and FCT get higher prevalent rate but na Akwa ibom own enter news, na wa oo, press sef, this country sef, i tire
Re: 300,000 Infected With Hiv/aids In Akwa Ibom by akanke79: 11:14am On May 26, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Effect of Eggs on Our Health / Would You Permit Your Partner To Be A Surrogate? / How Can I Get Rid Of Mild Acne Off My Cheek

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.