Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,848 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:24 AM

Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? (29652 Views)

Is Olamide’s UY SCUTI Worth the Hype ? Album Review By Iamsynord / Is Wizkid's 'Made In Lagos' Album Worth The Hype? (A Review By Iamsynord) / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jimmychang: 8:35pm On Mar 16, 2021
Olodo24:
Nigerians only value imported things. Angelique Kidjo won her first Grammy some years ago and her country didn't brag. British acts has been sweeping the award in some years, but you don't see them shut down the Internet.

Now a Nigerian won a less competitive category and the president must congratulate him. Nigerians can overdo. Not saying it's a bad thing, only say we sabi carry things for head.

A Korean movie won best picture at the Oscars last year and Koreans never shut down the Internet or badmouth their other filmmakers

Omo your moniker says it all na better Olodo you be grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by candygist: 8:36pm On Mar 16, 2021
Op, you for ask sport fans, messi and C Rinaldo if Ballon d'Or is worth the Hype. If Davido can celebrate ordinary sound city award, I wonder why Burna Boy shouldn't celebrate a Global award like Grammy. Do you know what it means to win Grammy awards with the likes of MICHAEL JACKSON and the rest. The Biggest artiste in the world as a Grammy.... op abeg go sit-down.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jimmychang: 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2021
stayclearofme:

I bet you can't comprehend anything.

And you think you made sense too ...comot for here !!

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2021
jimmychang:

Chance the rapper won a Grammy and he is independent grin grin

Yes, it happens not often.

It is a very rear case.

Do you know he broke records.

When he won, he became the first artist to win a Grammy without selling physical copies of his music—or selling much of his music at all, for that matter.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Jaqenhghar: 8:38pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
I was expecting Nas to be all over the media celebrating this Grammy but he never did. That is to say that Grammy does not defined them or their crafts.

Even the likes of Elvis Presley never won a grammy

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by greggng: 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
merieam16:
All these days nd years u didnt ask the question buh now that a nigerian won it u are now asking question upadan

Instead of u to congratulate them nd move....bad belle

He is a Davido fan ...I am not surprise ...if he writes a petition for the withdrawal of the award from wizxy and burna boy...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jimmychang: 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2021
candygist:
Op, you for ask sport fans, messi and C Rinaldo if Ballon d'Or is worth the Hype. If Davido can celebrate ordinary sound city award, I wonder why Burna Boy shouldn't celebrate a Global award like Grammy. Do you know what it means to win Grammy awards with the likes of MICHAEL JACKSON and the rest. The Biggest artiste in the world as a Grammy.... op abeg go sit-down.

The guy na mumu ,confirm mumu ......They just can't sit down and imagine a Nigerian who is not their fav winning a Grammy ....They still can't digest it grin grin grin

Just see the stupid thread wey one maloo create grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by GreatResearcher: 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2021
WoundedLamb:
The same OP will jubilate if his preferred footballer wins Ballon D'or. Grammy is the musicians' Ballon D'or and it's celebrated everywhere. People only ignore it when thier preferred artists don't win anything. If you had watched France24, ICI RDI, etc, you'd have seen how it was celebrated in other places where the winning artists have strongholds. Even in the US, musicians use it to measure success. They only say "Bleep it" when they get nothing or have issues with the organizers. This idea of always saying "but in America..." is sickening. Do you!

I'm the OP.
PS I don't watch football.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jimmychang: 8:41pm On Mar 16, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Even the likes of Elvis Presley never won a grammy

But Michael Jackson have Grammys ; grin grin grin grin.... you guys keep saying it as if those that win a grammy doesn't deserve it ...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by candygist: 8:42pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
He didn't hype it. He didn't even post it on his SM
Because he his not the first person to win it in is country. So many people have won it before him. It's the reverse case here in Nigeria. Burna is the first Nigerian Artist that is based in Nigeria to win it. So it's worth the hype.

It's just like A Nigerian Winning the world best or get Nominated for world best player. You get ? No dey hate on Burna. The boy is fucking talented.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by GreatResearcher: 8:43pm On Mar 16, 2021
candygist:
Is Snoop dogg big or not?

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by candygist: 8:44pm On Mar 16, 2021
jimmychang:

The guy na mumu ,confirm mumu ......They just can't sit down and imagine a Nigerian who is not their fav winning a Grammy ....They still can't digest it grin grin grin

Just see the stupid thread wey one maloo create grin

Many of them never wanted Burna boy to win all because he will make their favourite look ordinary. Imagine what one of Davido fans said below

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Akuruoulo(m): 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
Award means a prize or other mark of recognition given in honour of an achievement.

Why the hype on Grammy Awards?

The way we Africans see and do things always got me puzzled.
We see Grammy Award as god. I'm not in anyway hating those who won. But how me celebrate this Grammy is what I don't understand.

In America. Most American acts don't see Grammy as anything.
I remember one rapper who was given a Grammy Award and he rejected it.

Last year an American rapper pee on a Grammy Award (something most Africans see as god)
Few hours ago another American rapper took to his Twitter to write F88k Grammys.

These people a different way of reasoning I don't know if it's because of their environment because environment can't influence one's reasoning.

Winning Grammy does not make you bigger or better than others.
Not winning Grammy does not mean your crafts are useless.

I know over 10 American rappers who never won a Grammy but you can't talk about Hip Pop and you don't mention their names.

Imagine someone like Nas just won his first Grammy after how many years in the industry? He never made it a big deal.

O.B.O ARMY I HAIL OOH
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jimmychang: 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Yes, it happens not often.

It is a very rear case.

Do you know he broke records.

When he won, he became the first artist to win a Grammy without selling physical copies of his music—or selling much of his music at all, for that matter.

Guy stop trying to downplay someone's achievements it is a sign of immaturity...even Nas didn't reject his Grammy after too much talk

Jcole didn't reject his even after he fired shots at the Grammy committee...abeg make Una dead this talk

I think the problem is that you people can't just digest the fact that Burna boy won a Grammy by himself grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by yazga: 8:47pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
I was expecting Nas to be all over the media celebrating this Grammy but he never did. That is to say that Grammy does not defined them or their crafts.

NAS one of the best rap artist in America. All albums are Platinum
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by naturefellow(m): 8:48pm On Mar 16, 2021
Monogamy:

People like SIA, Jay Z, Adams Levine don't sing cos they want to win any awards, they are only doing what they know best to do...

Winning the grammy is just like recognizion of their efforts in the music industry

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by nairamaniac: 8:49pm On Mar 16, 2021
wildikeman:
Grammy is not what it used to be. It's boring now

pls when was the grammy awards ceremony ever interesting?

when?

iv been watching the awards since the 80's.

The soul train and American music awards have always been more interesting.

Back than Grammy's had one 2 or 3awards for black genre songs(soul, r&b, hip hop, rap)

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by nairamaniac: 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
wildikeman:
Grammy is not what it used to be. It's boring now
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jimmychang: 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
candygist:
Many of them never wanted Burna boy to win all because he will make their favourite look ordinary. Imagine what one of Davido fans said below

As in ehhhnnn...he said Tekno is better than Burna boy grin grin grin grin grin grin......With him yeye lyrics ....

Wurld is good no doubt ...but him and Burna no be mate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Akuruoulo(m): 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:

THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE SOMEONE CELEBRATING HEADIES HERE .
THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE SOMEONE CELEBRATING BEEN SIGNED BY FULHAM FROM ENYIMBA . AS AN ENYIMBA PLAYER ,U GO HAPPY SAY BARNSLEY SIGN YOU WHILE A MAN U PLAYER WONT EVER BE HAPPY BEEN SIGNED BY BARNSLEY

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
jimmychang:

Guy stop trying to downplay someone's achievements it is a sign of immaturity...even Nas didn't reject his Grammy after too much talk

Jcole didn't reject his even after he fired shots at the Grammy committee...abeg make Una dead this talk

I think the problem is that you people can't just digest the fact that Burna boy won a Grammy by himself grin

I don't understand what you are writing about.

How did i downplay his achievements?

Chance the rapper is an independent artist, any thing wrong in that?

He is an outliner, isn't it an achievement.

Nas and j cole are not independent artist, they are backed by record records, chance the rapper is not backed by anyone and won almost 3 grammy is that not a solid achievement.

His feat happens rearly.
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by sammysmiles(m): 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Grammy is all knowing the right record label to sign to.

If your record label has influence in the music industry the artist will surely will a grammy.

Grammy has nothing to do with good songs

Lot of good artists are independent, they will never win a grammy until they join the click but that also comes with changing your music.
Examples of the independent artists?
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by naturefellow(m): 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2021
Monogamy:

Is winning Ballon D'or as a footballer not everything?
not directly comparable. Music has genres. Football is football. Ballon has clear criteria. Grammy criteria is obscure.

1 Like

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 16, 2021
sammysmiles:
Examples of the independent artists?

Any artist not backed by record label is an independent artist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by candygist: 8:54pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
Is Snoop dogg big or not?

Snoop Dog have never won it, but he as been Nominated 15 times. That an achievement on its own. Davido no fit see nomination for him life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by anonymous1759(m): 8:54pm On Mar 16, 2021
Monogamy:

Is winning Ballon D'or as a footballer not everything?

Inferiority complex is your problem . Grammy is a local Award in the United States. Any Song from Africa is regarded as international .
FIFA world best is global award .all national teams , coaches and journalists around the globe vote to make it balance . Grammy is no different from The Headies . It's what you call your Dog it'll answer you .
Stop being inferior ogbeni.

9 Likes

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 16, 2021
jimmychang:

If burna boy wasn't sign to his record label, do you think the international music scene will know him.

Burna boy won his grammy with the help of his record label.

They are the one spending money and pulling the strings not him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Grizzly20: 8:56pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
The aim of this thread is to know why Africans see winning Grammy as everything

I want to believe that Burna album winning the Grammy has a lot to do with Diddy co-producing that album.

Also Wizkid Grammy win has a lot to do with Beyonce featuring in the song.

Abeg stop saying Wizkid won a Grammy award. The award no dey hin house. He's only just enjoying the privilege of someone who featured him.
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by candygist: 8:58pm On Mar 16, 2021
I see hatters every where. Last year, when Burna lost the Grammy, many of you were celebrating and saying Grammy is not for people like him. Now, he as won it, you all are trying to play the award down. Ever wondered why Nigeria will always be an under develop country ? It's because of people like this MUMU op. Na people like you dey beef neighbor way get light for house when Nepa cut your own light grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by sevenhundred(m): 9:00pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:
Award means a prize or other mark of recognition given in honour of an achievement.

We see Grammy Award as god. I'm not in anyway hating those who won. But how me celebrate this Grammy is what I don't understand.

Last year an American rapper pee on a Grammy Award (something most Africans see as god)
Few hours ago another American rapper took to his Twitter to write F88k Grammys.

These people a different way of reasoning I don't know if it's because of their environment because environment can't influence one's reasoning.

I know over 10 American rappers who never won a Grammy but you can't talk about Hip Pop and you don't mention their names.

Imagine someone like Nas just won his first Grammy after how many years in the industry? He never made it a big deal.

let me enlighten you more, every good footballer want to win world cup, but if you fail you are not considered a bad player. you have played your part.
Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by Yoighaman(m): 9:01pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:

Winning a grammy award is the highest form of recognition in the music industry worldwide and yes, it is a big deal...just that some artistes pretend it's no big deal, big fat lie; It is indeed a big deal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Grammy Awards Worth The Hype? by jaxxy(m): 9:01pm On Mar 16, 2021
GreatResearcher:

The Grammys is for the best of the best. Many good artists never win Grammys even when they seem the best because the Grammys will pick the best of the best in certain competitive categories.

The Grammys May have certain issues and biases bt I cannot undermine the Grammys. They are excellent professionals in their field of music and art.

Not everyone that wins a Grammy is the best because there are weaker categories also where any average person who fits in can get a Grammy bt u must be exceptional at ur category.

All thesame it’s a major privilege and honor for global music. Ur music must have global appeal most times to win a Grammy.

I believe lil Wayne has a Grammy. Most of the Greats do!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top Ten Nigerian Lyricist Of All Times / A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers / Naija Music streaming or download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.