Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? (1572 Views)

Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? / Help!!! My Wife Is Putting Me Through This Right Now! / Living With My Parents Is Putting Me At A Disadvantage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by Y4all: 5:21pm On Mar 18, 2021
Most people use bed frames for their mattress; completely lifting them off the ground, this has become common practice in many homes and establishment. However, it is not unheard for people to have their mattresses placed directly on the ground either to cut cost, save space or for health benefits.

If you have ever slept on a mat or on a bare floor, you already know that the floor is flat and firm, making it a good support system for not just your mattress but for you. If you have a back pain, placing your mattress directly on the floor would seem like a good idea as the even surface would mean your spine will not sink too far.

Today, we are going to look at the pros and cons of placing your mattress on the floor.

PROS

Using a mattress on the floor could be for economical or health reasons.

REDUCES BACK PAIN

Sleeping on the floor helps your stay neutral and maintains a healthy posture. It has been known to improve sciatica and reduce chances of developing scoliosis.

IMPROVES BLOOD CIRCULATION

A firm mattress aids even distribution of blood whilst you sleep, since it has been established that putting your mattress makes it firmer, it follows that a mattress on the floor will serve the same purpose.

IT IS ECONOMICAL

Placing your mattress on the floor completely eliminates the need for a bed frame, saving you money. On average you would spend at least 45,000 on a good bed frame, putting your mattress on the floor saves you money.

SAVES SPACE

When you live in a tiny apartment, every inch of space matters, if you do not have a bedframe, you have saved an inch or two on four different sides and that is too much space to waste.

Also keeping your mattress on the floor, gives you the illusion of a higher ceiling and a larger room. Without a bedframe, you can easily move around your room, without having to stub your toe bedframe corners.

CONS

Even though there are positives to sleeping on a mattress on the floor, there are also drawbacks, such as it voiding your warranty and making your mattress accessible to bugs, mites and fleas.

DUST AND DUST MITES

Because dust primarily collect on the ground, if you do not properly vacuum or sweep the floor and inhale these particles, it can trigger allergic reactions and cause respiratory issues. Bed bugs and dust mites are attracted to moisture and heat and will gravitate towards your mattress, other insects and animals may find their way into your home and into your bed.

POTENTIAL MOLD AND MILDEW BUILDUP

A mildew mattress occurs when there is limited air circulation and moisture. It's reasonable for your sweat and natural oils to soak into your mattress but when sleeping without a bed frame, the fresh air has no chance to circulate through the mattress. Where mold gathers so do germs and allergy stirring bacteria.

DIFFICULTY GETTING OUT OF BED

If you have arthritis or suffer from chronic pain, having your mattress so close to the floor would make getting in and out of bed very hard. You would need to squat to get into bed and hoist yourself out, a task too painful for some.

Consider using a foundation under your bed for added height.

Uncomfortable for Side Sleepers

Because your sleep surface has become firm, if you are a side sleeper, putting your mattress on the floor might pose a problem.

Because the mattress won't shape to your body well enough, pressure builds in your hips and shoulder, making it difficult to sleep comfortably.

MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY

Most mattress were built to be placed on a bedframe and not on the floor as it exposes them to dust, mold and mildew potentially ruining your chances of claiming damage if it occurs.

TIPS FOR USING YOUR MATTRESS ON THE FLOOR

Due to their structural design and material composition, some mattresses are better suited to floor sleeping than others.

Additionally, mattress owners should take the following precautions before sleeping directly on the floor in order to ensure a healthy, comfortable sleep experience and a long mattress lifespan:

Sweep, vacuum, and/or disinfect the floor regularly to prevent dust buildup. Make sure the floor is completely dry before setting down the mattress.
Lift up the mattress periodically and allow it to air out. This will reduce mold and mildew accumulation over time.
Keep the area around the mattress clean to ensure that bed bugs and other insects don't infest the bed.
Place a thin layer (such as cardboard or foam) beneath the mattress for added insulation when temperatures are low.
Utilize a fan during hotter times of the year. This will reduce body heat and cut down on sweat during the night.
Double-check the terms of the mattress warranty, since some manufacturers do not permit placing the mattress directly on the floor.

If you liked this article, you should check these out too:

https://www.wincofoam.com/mattress-sanitization/

https://www.wincofoam.com/how-to-get-moisture-out-of-a-mattress/

https://www.wincofoam.com/return-policy/

https://www.wincofoam.com/how-to-prevent-molding-in-mattress/
Re: Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by descarado: 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2021
The worst form of poverty is poverty of the mind.
Enough said.

1 Like

Re: Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by DrFunmisticGlow: 6:28pm On Mar 18, 2021
Winco foam is the best foam in Nigeria.

Grew up with it.

Used it in uni

Bought a mattress from my first salary with it

1 Like

Re: Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by Mindlog: 6:35pm On Mar 18, 2021
Wow Winco foam! Childhood memories! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by Y4all: 8:45am On May 05, 2021
Mindlog:
Wow Winco foam! Childhood memories! cheesy
Please share those beautiful memories with us wink
Re: Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by Mindlog: 9:01am On May 05, 2021
Y4all:

Please share those beautiful memories with us wink

I attended primary school with the Chairman's children way back then in Maryland, Lagos. My dad used to visit the.factory in Ketu back in the 90s to have them produce custom sized mattresses for him.
Re: Is Putting Your Mattress On The Floor A Bad Idea? by Y4all: 12:32pm On May 24, 2021
Mindlog:

I attended primary school with the Chairman's children way back then in Maryland, Lagos. My dad used to visit the.factory in Ketu back in the 90s to have them produce custom sized mattresses for him.

Great! This is indeed a beautiful childhood memory smiley

(1) (Reply)

Touching Story Of A Single Mother / Is My Girlfriend Pregnant? / How Do I Handle This Issue? Should I Also Be Less Bothered Like Other Tenants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.