Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! (1769 Views)

Antobrige Auto Is A Fraudster. Beware!!! / Auto Guru, Please Help. / Coscharis Ford Auto Plant In Nigeria - 600 Vehicles Rolled Out Already (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by radautoworks: 11:18pm On Mar 18, 2021
WE WANT YOU!

We thought this article is an example of how we think at Mr. Transmission-Milex Rad Auto Works both in Nigeria an the parent company philosophy in the United States. We want franchisees and I'm all for woman power grin

https://franchisedictionarymagazine.com/women-know-the-importance-of-care-in-auto-care/

The Mr. Transmission/Milex brand is dismantling the stereotype that the automotive sector is a man’s world
As with many industries that have been associated with male owners and consumers, women have become top performers in this category. But what’s behind this trend? Pete Baldine, President of Mr. Transmission/Milex and Moran Family of Brands, expresses that traditionally women stated they wanted to consult their husbands on major automotive repairs, but that has changed. Due to cars becoming more complex, husbands being more and more unfamiliar with today’s repairs, and women excelling in business in executive-level positions, that dynamic has transformed.

CEO Barbara Moran-Goodrich says that the brand attributes its “family-first” culture at its support center and throughout the franchise system, as a quality that attracts and inspires women to invest in the business. Having a female CEO helps show women franchisees that they can do it too and not be afraid of the industry.

“Women today are making 65 percent to 68 percent of the repair decisions related to their cars. Today’s decision-making females also feel very comfortable communicating with a female auto shop owner,” said Moran-Goodrich.

Susan Trumble, owner of Mr. Transmission/Milex in Florence, Kentucky, and winner of 2017 Franchisee of the Year, says, “A woman offers a more compassionate side of business to her customers. She can understand that when a customer walks into her shop with a transmission problem, they may feel intimidated by the big-ticket problem they need fixed.” Susan believes she offers an empathetic, compassionate, and trustworthy experience to every customer who walks into her shop asking for help. Susan had worked in a female-dominated profession as a flight attendant for 10 years. She was told by her father, who owned a Mr. Transmission location, that an auto shop was not the place for a woman. Instead of listening to others, she bought herself a Mr. Transmission shop.

This drive to attract more female owners to the network stretches beyond the trends in the U.S. In 2016, Temi Adelu-Davis, along with husband Glen, signed an area developer agreement to open 10 locations in Lagos, Nigeria. In 2019, they had the grand opening of their first Mr. Transmission/Milex center. Adelu-Davis aims to improve the overall quality of the auto aftermarket industry. She expresses that Moran Brands had the right blueprint and “knew they’d give [her and her husband] the support [they would] need.”

So ladies, are you still unconvinced? Well, Mr. Transmission/Milex emphasizes that owners are not alone in their system and not only do women owners have support of other women franchisees in the network, but they also have personal access to speak directly with the CEO for advice – anytime.

Ownership is not about knowing how to fix a car – that is the technician’s job. Owners just need to worry about running their business and being involved in their community. Laura Rodifer, owner in Johnson City, Tennessee, says, “Be your true, authentic self. I think women do well in this business. I believe that they do really, really well in this business.”

If you’re a woman looking for an owner-operator business, have management and sales experience, and are committed to superior customer service, Mr. Transmission/Milex just may be the right fit. For more information, email emajek@radautoworks.com

3 Likes

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by nurey(m): 8:59am On Mar 19, 2021
This madam you too like controversy sha grin

Anyway check the email you spelt it wrong

1 Like

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by radautoworks: 11:56am On Mar 19, 2021
nurey:
This madam you too like controversy sha grin

Anyway check the email you spelt it wrong
thank you! Controversy kwa?
Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by alphaNomega: 12:32pm On Mar 19, 2021
Auto is for men.

Case closed.

1 Like

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:35pm On Mar 19, 2021
Yeah, nice.

But autos are for men. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by nurey(m): 12:46pm On Mar 19, 2021
radautoworks:
Yeah thread topic noni
Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by radautoworks: 12:55pm On Mar 19, 2021
nurey:

Yeah thread topic noni
it's from the article lol
Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by radautoworks: 12:55pm On Mar 19, 2021
HeavenlyBang:
Yeah, nice.

But autos are for men. cheesy

alphaNomega:
Auto is for men.

Case closed.

okay. Come and open shop grin
Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by nurey(m): 1:09pm On Mar 19, 2021
radautoworks:
Yeah thread topic noni
Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by radautoworks: 1:18pm On Mar 19, 2021
Thought I'd drop this here because it seems pertinent.

Crocif:

Pardon me but I could not help but notice this conversation. Expansion at this time? I am not a financial guru/analyst but I know enough to get by. Was privileged to share a moment with Glen and he talked about his passion for the business and the experience he has amassed over the years. This prompted me (not my business I know) to do a little digging to see how the business has faired since you guys started. I was unable to get info on how well the business is doing in Lagos vis-a-vis the investments put in at start-up (i.e regarding the Lagos arm).

I was, however, fortunate to see a video of the construction works that went on and I couldn't help but notice how happy you and Glen seemed. It was a beautiful thing to see and I was happy for both of you. Like I mentioned to Glen, having a business is wonderful, especially when the business was borne out of passion and becomes successful (these I did not share with him). Though a good thing to expand when the business is thriving but I was thinking (though naively considering that there is a parent company who I believe got your back) that there may be a need to step back and assess the journey so far before making the huge leap of expansion.

Unless I am mistaking, I saw that the business in Nigeria is barely 3 years old. If this is true then the rate of growth has been phenomenal. Goes to show your extraordinary sense for business. Though great but it got me a little worried (I shouldn't be because it is none of my business) and it got me thinking about how sustainable that rate of growth is. It is possible to grow a business too fast but to be sure I thought an assessment needs to be done before going ahead with.....

Sorry, I want to stop there because my conscience is beating me up. It is none of my business. I wish you well.

PS: I am yet to get word from your tech guys about the vehicle. I hope I hear from them soon. Thank you.
From what I understood Glen spoke to you and was supposed to call you today.

As far as growing too fast, believe me the expansion was greatly thought out. This is not my first company and I do have an MBA wink

Even before we started I informed the parent company that there would be a 2-3 year lag before we would even consider franchising a new location. I'm actually the one who has been holding the needed expansion back. The investment put into Lekki is not a small amout. I'm not going to put how much I spent here. Not the parent company, me. Franchises are paid for by the owner not the parent company as is the norm with any franchise.

There are a few things you may not be aware of.

1) We are area developers not franchisees. As such, WE are the parent company in Africa with equivalent powers to Chicago. Our warehouse will also service the Cameron locations when they open as well as the whole of West Africa. I should mention they started their project two years before we did and they are not online yet. Further expansion is in the works down the line and we will be moving to the Lekki Trade Zone when the time comes.

2) The Lekki location is the west african HQ, training center and distribution center. It is not a shop. Shops are a fraction of the size and cost and can be as small as 2 bays. I've put pictures of typical shops compared to the Lekki location below. The Lekki location is 12 bays and over 33,000 sqft. A typical shop may not even be a tenth of that.

3) The Lekki location's primary function is franchise support. Most of the people who you see there actually have been trained for just that purpose- to go help open and train/run new shops on how to run efficiently and maximize profit while maintaining the brand's quality. They are actually not doing their primary jobs yet until other locations open.

4) Despite that, we are running an HQ on the proceeds from a shop and STILL running at a profit. A typical shop in the Mr Transmission-Milex group should have 3-6 employees. We have 27. And yet the income our shop provides (which is about the same or less than other shops will make depending on location) pays for all 27 smiley

5) We are being inundated by repairs from around the country causing longer waits. When customers are paying 200k or more to third parties just to tow cars to you, there is a gaping hole in their home markets that need to be filled. These are not just online comments saying "come to xyz". These are actual vehicles coming in on a regular basis. Some have been trying to pay for Glen to go to their states for repairs for months but we are too busy at our location.

6) why don't we just open the next one ourselves you ask? One of the biggest successes of the Mr Transmission-Milex model is all locations are run by their owners. This is non-negotiable. Where you see one person owning multiple locations, husband runs one, wife, adult children and in a couple of very special cases brother/sister run the others. This is because NOONE will ever care for your customers the way you do because you are the one with the investment. There are other reasons that are covered during our 5 week owner/management training.

7)One of the biggest perks of doing repairs with us is not even online yet and that is our nationwide warranties. If you get a repair in Lekki and have a problem in Ibadan, the Ibadan location will honor your warranty at no cost to you. That is why we made sure to handle the logistics end so all stores would have the same access to parts we do as that is the greatest challenge with car repair in Nigeria. Until more locations are open, customers are missing out on that.

I can tell you that the revenue in places like Abuja, Port Harcourt and Ibadan is insane and that's just from the ones towed to shop- and we are running a low margin high volume model. grin So you be the judges on whether an expansion is prudent or not.

Below are pictures of variety of our shops. The Lekki location is last for comparison. As you can see there is even a three bay shop run out of someone's home! It can be run out of a couple of carports! What matters to our brand is quality of service.

2 Likes

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by dicksonadams(m): 4:12am On Mar 20, 2021
Cool
Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by Kewtt: 5:24am On Apr 25, 2021
radautoworks:
Thought I'd drop this here because it seems pertinent.

From what I understood Glen spoke to you and was supposed to call you today.

As far as growing too fast, believe me the expansion was greatly thought out. This is not my first company and I do have an MBA wink

Even before we started I informed the parent company that there would be a 2-3 year lag before we would even consider franchising a new location. I'm actually the one who has been holding the needed expansion back. The investment put into Lekki is not a small amout. I'm not going to put how much I spent here. Not the parent company, me. Franchises are paid for by the owner not the parent company as is the norm with any franchise.

There are a few things you may not be aware of.

1) We are area developers not franchisees. As such, WE are the parent company in Africa with equivalent powers to Chicago. Our warehouse will also service the Cameron locations when they open as well as the whole of West Africa. I should mention they started their project two years before we did and they are not online yet. Further expansion is in the works down the line and we will be moving to the Lekki Trade Zone when the time comes.

2) The Lekki location is the west african HQ, training center and distribution center. It is not a shop. Shops are a fraction of the size and cost and can be as small as 2 bays. I've put pictures of typical shops compared to the Lekki location below. The Lekki location is 12 bays and over 33,000 sqft. A typical shop may not even be a tenth of that.

3) The Lekki location's primary function is franchise support. Most of the people who you see there actually have been trained for just that purpose- to go help open and train/run new shops on how to run efficiently and maximize profit while maintaining the brand's quality. They are actually not doing their primary jobs yet until other locations open.

4) Despite that, we are running an HQ on the proceeds from a shop and STILL running at a profit. A typical shop in the Mr Transmission-Milex group should have 3-6 employees. We have 27. And yet the income our shop provides (which is about the same or less than other shops will make depending on location) pays for all 27 smiley

5) We are being inundated by repairs from around the country causing longer waits. When customers are paying 200k or more to third parties just to tow cars to you, there is a gaping hole in their home markets that need to be filled. These are not just online comments saying "come to xyz". These are actual vehicles coming in on a regular basis. Some have been trying to pay for Glen to go to their states for repairs for months but we are too busy at our location.

6) why don't we just open the next one ourselves you ask? One of the biggest successes of the Mr Transmission-Milex model is all locations are run by their owners. This is non-negotiable. Where you see one person owning multiple locations, husband runs one, wife, adult children and in a couple of very special cases brother/sister run the others. This is because NOONE will ever care for your customers the way you do because you are the one with the investment. There are other reasons that are covered during our 5 week owner/management training.

7)One of the biggest perks of doing repairs with us is not even online yet and that is our nationwide warranties. If you get a repair in Lekki and have a problem in Ibadan, the Ibadan location will honor your warranty at no cost to you. That is why we made sure to handle the logistics end so all stores would have the same access to parts we do as that is the greatest challenge with car repair in Nigeria. Until more locations are open, customers are missing out on that.

I can tell you that the revenue in places like Abuja, Port Harcourt and Ibadan is insane and that's just from the ones towed to shop- and we are running a low margin high volume model. grin So you be the judges on whether an expansion is prudent or not.

Below are pictures of variety of our shops. The Lekki location is last for comparison. As you can see there is even a three bay shop run out of someone's home! It can be run out of a couple of carports! What matters to our brand is quality of service.
You talk too much

3 Likes

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 9:03am On Apr 25, 2021
Kewtt:

You talk too much
nothing wrong with that

1 Like

Re: Dissmantling The Stereotype That Auto Is For Men! by CaptainAyub: 8:42pm On Apr 25, 2021
Kewtt:

You talk too much
And you go about sniffing her butt too much

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is Car Code Detector And Electrical Detector And What Is The Name / Atf / My 1999 Camry ODO Not Working Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.