Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,965 members, 7,799,277 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire (1672 Views)

Fashola: Why Lagos-Badagry Expressway Is Yet To Be Fixed / Why Lagos APC Disbanded Justice And Mandate Groups / Why Lagos Assembly, APC Want Ambode Jailed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Monogamy: 4:02pm On Mar 20, 2021
AlexBells:

Cry baby so na likes and share is your problem lol, I can't even count the amounts of likes I get from nairaland in a day, even stupid people use the like button so dont count on it, even at that you dont have more like than anyone but far from that, if people voted for the current government I don't see any reason why likes are a measure of intelligence. Fool like foolish stuff, don't be like that, your likes does not ascribe sensibility

Do you want to go on contest of likes and shares?

Cos I want to dare you to provide just 300 likes alone this week..

Those who are giving the likes are not dumb most especially on thread that does not related to politics..

So yeah, Likes and shares are somehow a measure of intelligent on NL
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by AlexBells(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

Do you want to go on contest of likes and shares?

Cos I want to dare you to provide just 300 likes alone this week..

Those who are giving the likes are not dumb most especially on thread that does not related to politics..

So yeah, Likes and shares are somehow a measure of intelligent on NL
If I get 300 likes does that prove that Lagos is no man's land?
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by ablejesus26(m): 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

Please what exactly are you accusing me for? Cos you have displayed more than that on this thread.

Kettle......

Wow you are beyond repair you know what continue doing Yoruba vs Igbo masturbate your life out with bigotry

maybe na your calling be dat sef who knows ���
na you sabi

Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Monogamy: 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2021
ablejesus26:

Wow you are beyond repair you know what continue doing Yoruba vs Igbo masturbate your life out with bigotry

maybe na your calling be dat sef who knows ���
na you sabi

Caught red handed unexpectedly...

grin wink
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Monogamy: 4:05pm On Mar 20, 2021
AlexBells:

If I get 300 likes does that prove that Lagos is no man's land?

Where you wan get am? Such likes are only meant for intelligent/intellectual people
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by ablejesus26(m): 4:07pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

grin wink
grin
Monogamy:

grin wink

A person with a sound and workable mind like myself do not bring myself down to doing rubbish I am calling you out directly bcus you did rubbish ��

I am like your big uncle here dat will correct you when you do wrong ���

shun tribal bigotry

Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Putinofrussia: 4:08pm On Mar 20, 2021
AlexBells:
The Igbos in Nigeria the one that stood the Nigerian government in a full blown war for three years while your people are running to Benin just for ordinary herdsmen not even entire Fulanis

The only people that ran to Benin are the Eguns and Igbos living in Yewa.Ask Ojukwu and Kanu.
Yorubas are warriors.Ask Igboho..
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by AlexBells(m): 4:08pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

Where you wan get am? Such likes are only meant for intelligent/intellectual people
You are referring to Alex Bells 1 of AlaIgbo here not just anybody na me and Tinubu, Buhari, etc. Go dey drag for likes not you, I represent AlaIgbo bring your tribal representatives let's run it like for like let's see who blink first, likes ke lol
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by AlexBells(m): 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
Putinofrussia:

The only people that ran to Benin are the Eguns and Igbos living in Yewa.Ask Ojukwu and Kanu.
Yorubas are warriors.Ask Igboho..
Lol so Igboho is now declaring Oduduwa Republic because of Igbos, I hear lol
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Monogamy: 4:11pm On Mar 20, 2021
AlexBells:

You are referring to Alex Bells 1 of AlaIgbo here not just anybody na me and Tinubu, Buhari, etc. Go dey drag for likes not you, I represent AlaIgbo bring your tribal representatives let's run it like for like let's see who blink first, likes ke lol

So you no get such likes and you are doing yanga?

Funny guy.. Can't you see your people have stopped taking you seriously..

Mtcheeew
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Monogamy: 4:12pm On Mar 20, 2021
ablejesus26:
grin

A person with a sound and workable mind like myself do not bring myself down to doing rubbish I am calling you out directly bcus you did rubbish ��

I am like your big uncle here dat will correct you when you do wrong ���

shun tribal bigotry

But you have displayed more than bigotry on this thread alone now..

Big uncle that can't mind his business.. grin

1 Like

Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by ablejesus26(m): 4:21pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

grin
Monogamy:

No I have rather schooled and lectured you on how to do and be better

You should be thanking me I want you to be better than the little ragbaits here doing nonsense tribal bullcrap

say thank you it doesn't hurt���

Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Monogamy: 4:29pm On Mar 20, 2021
ablejesus26:
grin

No I have rather schooled and lectured you on how to do and be better

You should be thanking me I want you to be better than the little ragbaits here doing nonsense tribal bullcrap

say thank you it doesn't hurt���

You actually need that advice more...
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by AlexBells(m): 4:33pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

Mtcheeew
No be only stopped taking serious, so you are monitoring me lol, I'm that important
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by ablejesus26(m): 4:40pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

grin
Monogamy:

Big uncle likes and wants you to be a better person who would in turn help dis miscreants spilling tribal hate here to do and be better
do I get a thank you for dat No

but anyways it's big uncle things�
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Validated: 4:52pm On Mar 20, 2021
COPIED .....

The Origin of Eko (Lagos)

There is a lot of traditional history at both Benin and Lagos ends relating to the origin of what is now Lagos, its ruler and it's connection with Benin. But perhaps to avoid inadequacies and controversy which the academics claim surrounds traditional history, we may like to hear what some modern historians have to say on this subject. Robert S. Smith, in his book of some principal Yoruba owns, especially in and around Oyo, and the westward expansion in the 17th century of Benin Kingdom with it's number of subject towns on or near to the coast, which included Lagos, went on to say this about Lagos in particular:

"It's name reflect it's past to the Yoruba it's Eko, deriving probably from the farm (Oko) of the earliest settlers, though alternatively-or additionally-it may be the Benin word (Eko) for a war-camp...We say Eko is a Benin word that means camp"

After describing the activities of the armies of Benin under Oba Orhogbua, culminating in his arrival at what is now Lagos, Smith went on to add:

"Sometime later the Oba appointed a ruler for Lagos to represent the interest of Benin and to forward tribute there. The man chosen is named in both Lagos and Benin Tradition as Ashipa"

Smith says that by Lagos account this Ashipa was an Isheri Chief, while the Benin account says Ashipa was a grandson of the Oba of Benin. We shall come to this later. Smith was, however, satisfied that Benin had established it's ascendency in Lagos and had founded a dynasty there at some period before 1700.The dyansty's dependence on Benin, Smith found, was emphasized by the appointment of another Chief, the Eletu Odibo, who alone had the right to crown the Oba and who in early times probably maintained close connection with Benin,.(Eletu Odibo is a corruption of the Edo equivalent Olotu Odibo)

"G.T. Stride and C. Ifeka, in their book titled Peoples and empires pf West Africa have this to say on the same subject:

Oba Orhogbua was clearly a strong warrior for he enforced tribute payments from all parts of the empire and in the middle 1550s conquered all the coastal lands up to Lagos where he left a permanent garrison. Tradition in Lagos says that their first Oba, the Eleko of Eko, was a son of the Oba Orhogbua of Benin"

It will be seen, therefore, that even if we were to disregard traditional history there is enough material from modern historians to confirm the fact that what is now Lagos was founded by an Oba of Benin who also gave it it's first ruler. But we really cannot disregard traditional history. In Benin tradition, and we believe the same of Yoruba and other ethnic groups in this country, one way to establish that an event in traditional history did occur is by the type of anecdote or adage that evolves from that event . Thus, for instance, We Edo people say that "Orhogbua gb'Olague,ona y'ukpe abekpen z'umwen rie Edo, meaning that Oba Orhogbua defeated Olague and used sword to bring his salt to Benin, This is in allusion of to the exploits of Oba Orhogbua while in his camp (Eko) from where he over-ran the place known as Mahin with it's ruler whom the Benin People nicknamed Olague. There Orhogbua discovered the common rock salt and brought it to Benin who thereby tasted it for the first time.

Now the name "Ashipa has featured quite prominently (and rightly too) in the history of Lagos. After the Oba Orhogbua returned to Benin from Eko, he appointed a commander or an administrator, who was called Aisikpa to look after the skeleton troop left in the camp(Eko) until he returned again from Benin. He could no longer return having seen the situation at home. The name "Aisikpahienvoborre" which means "people do not desert their home-land. "This is how Aisikpa, whom the Yoruba now call Ashipa, came into the Lagos (Eko) history. Eko is still there as the traditional Benin name for Lagos; Ashipa has been retained as a senior traditional chieftaincy title while his descendants now retain the modern name of Oba of Lagos. The interaction of Edo people with others in distant lands must have inevitably resulted in cultural exchanges.

Excerpts From a Lecture on the Evolution of Traditional
rulership in Nigeria given under the auspices of the University of
Ibadan, Institute of African studies on 11th September,1984 by Omo
N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Oba Erediauwa

https://www.edo-nation.net/eko.htm
Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by AlexBells(m): 4:56pm On Mar 20, 2021
Monogamy:

Mtcheeew
Lol that's my this evening likes oo, we no be level dude

Re: This Is Why Lagos Is No Man's Land: The Hand Of The Empire by Christistruth00: 9:48pm On Mar 20, 2021
Why is it that some People just can’t take their eyes off Yorubas Lagos?

That is exactly the same foolishness that led Ojukwu into disaster

He just couldn’t resist the temptation to invade and Capture Lagos and add it to his Biafra.

Five decades later the people he misled are still wailing over the disaster that befell the Biafran Army at Ore.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria will Go from Top to Bottom Says Buhari (video) / Observation: Buhari's Address To UNGA On Terrorism Missed IPOB / 30 Unique Motivational Speech Topics That Would Hook The Audience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 2
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.