Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN (55128 Views)

Best Things In Life Are FREE: Business Owners And AFFILIATE Marketers Get In NOW / Kenyan Professor XN Iraki: Nigerians Are Taking Over Our Economy / More Than 60 Million Nigerians Are Unbanked – World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Jdaughter(f): 6:49pm On Mar 20, 2021
StreetFight:

You won't mention your useless brother Godwin Emefiele who is the unfortunate CBN Governor that Ogun, Sango, Aiyelala and Esu Odara will soon such his blood dry before the gods then visit the lifeless one to use his for sacrifice

Isn't too wrong to just conclude on people you don't even know? How is Emefiele my brother if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by odysey: 6:52pm On Mar 20, 2021
AdmiralEmmy:

https://www.today.ng/business/finance/cbn-nigerians-free-bitcoin-353492/amp

CBN have come back to their senses

Can we now buy crypto with our bank cards
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Bluntemperor: 6:57pm On Mar 20, 2021
berrystunn:
Lol

They came back after much explanation

Old men

They came back to deny after the VP Osinbajo called them to order
Our CBN should be forward looking as far as financial matters are concerned!
Dollars will stay for a long time but there are other Currencies that the World will be using as supporting instruments of paymentshe since the world itself is changing! CBN should be pro-active without any polical undertones.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by hermesprogidy(m): 7:28pm On Mar 20, 2021
joey150:
Crypto was never banned.

Most Nigerians cannot read, assimilate what they've read and understand it. People just follow the popular narrative if it suits their agenda, it usually does.

Nothing has changed. All CBN said was don't transact crypto through the formal banking sector.
That's a quasi ban. It's like telling me i can buy a car, but can't drive it.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by joey150(m): 7:31pm On Mar 20, 2021
hermesprogidy:

That's a quasi ban. It's like telling me i can buy a car, but can't drive it.
No it isn't. It's like saying, you can buy a car, but just don't drive it in any official road.

You still have bushes, forests, off-trails, villages and the desert to drive it in.

6 Likes

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by hermesprogidy(m): 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2021
Never4getU:
Osinbanjo won this for Nigerian youths and it's economy. When u're trying so hard to impress ur master even as tho ur believe on something good becomes bad as good it satisfy ur oga at the top.

Mumu CBN gov emefiele
Osinbajo won nothing, you still can't move cryptos to fiat unless through P2P. CBN dullard didn't say anything different, nothing changed.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by hermesprogidy(m): 7:33pm On Mar 20, 2021
joey150:

No it isn't. It's like saying, you can buy a car, but just don't drive it in any official road.

You still have bushes, forests, off-trails, villages and the desert to drive it in.

Can you now convert cryptos to fiat through your bank account unless through P2P?
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by hermesprogidy(m): 7:35pm On Mar 20, 2021
joey150:

You are making my point. That's why it's a quasi ban. Unless you misconstrued the meaning of quasi.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by nextstep(m): 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2021
"The CBN did not place restrictions from use of Cryptocurrencies and we are not discouraging people from trading in it. What we have just done was to prohibit transactions on Cryptocurrencies in the banking sector."

I have to admit I'm still confused: if I can't use any banking platform to make transactions into or out of a crypto account, how do I trade?

1 Like

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by joey150(m): 7:51pm On Mar 20, 2021
hermesprogidy:

You are making my point. That's why it's a quasi ban. Unless you misconstrued the meaning of quasi.

Oh yes, I see your point.

But there are ways around it. If you're keen enough to drive that car.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by focus7: 7:53pm On Mar 20, 2021
The current CBN governor is the most daft of all the CBN governor ever in Nigeria
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by yommen: 7:53pm On Mar 20, 2021
AdmiralEmmy:

They haven't, actually. They are only trying to twist things.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by spacechuks(m): 8:36pm On Mar 20, 2021
CONFUSED SET OF PPL IN APC
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by TSBO: 8:36pm On Mar 20, 2021
Read people read.. Disallowed in the banking sector does not mean totally banned. If you have, no problem. if you are able to purchase, no problem (how you pay for it is left to you but "apparently" won't be through a Nigerian bank)

It's similar to how some items are banned from the official FX market but not banned from imports or purchase. In such cases people buy FX from the parallel market to fund such transactions.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Awesome007(m): 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2021
Same old story �
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 20, 2021
Britishcoins:
The should allow us buy with our atm card, though btc is not my source of living but it is more promising than shithole currency we are using...
Some of my customers do pay with btc...
In a lay man's term, can BeeTeeCee be converted to cash and sent to a bank account? Cos am not understanding this Government again ooo
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Basher8583: 8:42pm On Mar 20, 2021
merits:
Godwin emefiele

Lazy youth. You seem to be the olodo because it appears you cant read nor comprehend CBNs position which has not changed but only reiterated.

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by merits(m): 8:42pm On Mar 20, 2021
Basher8583:

Lazy youth. You seem to be the olodo because it appears you cant read nor comprehend CBNs position which has not changed but only reiterated.
U 2

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by mojoyin73585: 8:48pm On Mar 20, 2021
Same old story �
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by PedroWealth2: 8:55pm On Mar 20, 2021
AdmiralEmmy:

Don’t be fooled nothing has actually changed!
Check the links below on how trade crypto without getting banned by CBN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYADFHhSX5A
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by bizzibodi(m): 9:06pm On Mar 20, 2021
Do Nigerian banks even bizness transact in crypto?This is d most dumbest CBN gorbanor I have ever seen alive.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by ud4u: 9:20pm On Mar 20, 2021
Thank God
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by CzarChris(m): 10:42pm On Mar 20, 2021
donbachi:
CBN..Confused Bank of Nigeria.
You deserve an award for this.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by wpadmin: 11:14pm On Mar 20, 2021
AAA593:
Na govt be this?

Nna help us ask them oo

1 Like

Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Cargoed: 11:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
CBn did the right thing, when you consider how reckless our local banks can be.
1)A crypto exchange going down can cause systemic failure in the banking system making CBN and even Amcon to bail out.
2)Exchanges began to fix their own naira rate and round tripping was encouraged.
3)A local bank can hold Crypto as part off it's assets , if or when it drops/corrects 80% what kind of shock do you think that will cause in a financial year.
4)Banks can't be made responsible for P2p transactions.
5)Crypto was killing Fintech and even micro finance banks.
6) Satoshi Designed BTC in such a way that CBNs will have no choice but to ban it.
7) KYC and AML issues.
cool Is the central banks job to first protect National Currency and banking institutions first or Encourage such innovation at all costs.
9) The Naira is currently backed by Oil not btc.
10) The CBNs gov tenor is 8yrs at Max not 2145 when the last Bitcoin. Will be mined.

If you are the CBN Gov with all these revelation. Would you not ban it immediately.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by calcal: 12:04am On Mar 21, 2021
You guys should know that NO government on this earth wants this crypto.

It is a way of printing money by anyone, getting reach overnight without owning a refinery.

drizslim:
It makes no sense at all but you guys want us to buy Una shares?

Nigerian government don't enjoy financial growth of their masses.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Ahasco(m): 2:38am On Mar 21, 2021
So what's the difference
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by epadomo(m): 3:42am On Mar 21, 2021
please how can I get involve in this cryptocurrency. I want to start investing in it too.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by Jeffy1206(m): 4:05am On Mar 21, 2021
So what of the blocking of the accounts of people involved? undecided confuse people as leaders. sad
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by hermesprogidy(m): 7:41am On Mar 21, 2021
joey150:

Oh yes, I see your point.

But there are ways around it. If you're keen enough to drive that car.
Sure.
Re: Cryptocurrency: Nigerians Are Free To Use Bitcoin - CBN by hermesprogidy(m): 7:45am On Mar 21, 2021
Jeffy1206:
So what of the blocking of the accounts of people involved? undecided confuse people as leaders. sad
No account has been blocked. Crypto exchanges will simply not allow you deposit or withdraw naira.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Femi Otedola, Do You Go To Work? Instagram Follower Asks Billionaire Businessman / Dangote Invests N63bn In Transit Support Services, Buys 3,500 Trucks / PHOTO: NNPC Doesn't Sell Fuel Into Kegs; See What Man Does

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.